Exemptions issue for DRIVER CPC - Mechanics

ROG:
Informed by SFL (didn’t really credit them)the DSA (who asked the DfT) and VOSA that Exemption (g) is for a driver who goes to the job at the start of the day, does an all day job on site, then drives it back at the end of the day - such as a builder - the example given by all three!!

So were does my job come into the regulations?
I drive a truck to a race track, spend a week working there and then drive back to the workshop and work there until it’s time to go the next track. Ok it might take 2 or three days to get to or from a track, but driving the truck could hardly be considered my main occupation, in fact when we interview truck drivers for the job one of the main things we stress is that driving the truck is not the main part of the job.

ROG:
Informed by SFL (didn’t really credit them)the DSA (who asked the DfT) and VOSA that Exemption (g) is for a driver who goes to the job at the start of the day, does an all day job on site, then drives it back at the end of the day - such as a builder - the example given by all three!!

muckles:
I drive a truck to a race track, spend a week working there and then drive back to the workshop and work there until it’s time to go the next track. Ok it might take 2 or three days to get to or from a track, but driving the truck could hardly be considered my main occupation, in fact when we interview truck drivers for the job one of the main things we stress is that driving the truck is not the main part of the job.

I would say that driving the LGV is exempt driver cpc in your case but I would definitely check that with VOSA or DSA via an e-mail so that you have it in writing - just in case.

Take a look in the FAQ forum - PERIODIC DRIVER CPC for DSA driver cpc contact details

I did agency for a Co. that did road works,planing patching resurfacing that sort of thing.Gaffer told me its more a machine tool than a lorry very low milage bore that out.We could all do first aid 1day every year could come in useful.In Scotland we have Individual Learning Allowance .I think its worth about £100 per annum should cover this needless waste of time.

ROG:

ROG:

muckles:

I would say that driving the LGV is exempt driver cpc in your case but I would definitely check that with VOSA or DSA via an e-mail so that you have it in writing - just in case.

Take a look in the FAQ forum - PERIODIC DRIVER CPC for DSA driver cpc contact details

To be honest ROG I’m going to do my CPC is my employer pays as you never know what might happen and being able to go back into haulage would be useful.
I’m all for continuous training, technology moves on and regulations keep changing and you never know you might learn something new. A day out with the driver trainer from Volvo when we got our new truck means I have a far better understanding of how to get the best out of it than I’d have if I’d just got in and driven it.
but as usual a good idea has been hijacked and ruined by beauracracts.

The above post from Mckles makes perfect sense,pity it wont be like that.There is no practical element to this course if that is the right word for it.I spoke to a driver who was doing the bus course and he had to sit through videos and speeches about how to load a bus F.F.S.

I don’t know if there is any reason not to have a practical part to the CPC, but to take drivers out one or 2 at a time in a truck would be cost more than having 10 drivers in a classroom watching a video, so what is your average employer going to opt for?

The other thing is how you teach truck drivers?
By this I’m not implying that your average truck driver is thick, but many have been out of education for many years and probably didn’t think much of school anyway. So you need a certain type of instructor and course.

I remember doing my ADR years ago and we had 2 different instructors. the first knew his stuff, no doubt about that, but he was a lecturer and to be honest it was all a bit heavy and many of those who attented switched off. The second, had been a truck driver, he made everything very light hearted and it was more like a load of drivers having a bit of banter. Because of this those who attended listened, asked questions and passed the course.

Rog, you have hit the nail on the head when you say( if you want to earn a living drving you will need the cpc, ) so I would say road test , or mot, break down it all involves driving ,I think they wll have to get one

fuse:
Rog, you have hit the nail on the head when you say( if you want to earn a living drving you will need the cpc, ) so I would say road test , or mot, break down it all involves driving ,I think they wll have to get one

not according to the exemptions in the first post

muckles:
I remember doing my ADR years ago and we had 2 different instructors. the first knew his stuff, no doubt about that, but he was a lecturer and to be honest it was all a bit heavy and many of those who attented switched off. The second, had been a truck driver, he made everything very light hearted and it was more like a load of drivers having a bit of banter. Because of this those who attended listened, asked questions and passed the course.

That’s a fair point muckles, because an instructor should be able to adapt to the audience.

As an ex-driver teaching ADR, that’s very much my style, but sometimes I have to teach DGSA type serious (ADR) stuff to managers, so that calls for a different style. Horses for courses, if you’ll excuse the pun. :grimacing: