Ex army drivers from the 50s,

andrew.s:

ecka1935:
All army motors in those days were petrol no diesel to save on ■■■■- ups wi logistics. Ecka

the AEC’s were diesel

Prior to 1939 most military AECs did have petrol engines and the legendary 0853 AEC Matador prototypes were originally designed with AEC petrol engines. The AEC 171 7.7 litre diesel was fitted in production variants.

Hiya…a chap comes to some vintage rallies i go to. he has a Scammell Pioneer with a petrol engine, it dose 1 and a bit
miles to the gallon. he told me he’d used 10 gallons of petrol to do 13 miles…
John

3300John:
Hiya…a chap comes to some vintage rallies i go to. he has a Scammell Pioneer with a petrol engine, it dose 1 and a bit
John

Sounds about right to me but I didn’t have to buy it I would Need a second mortgage now

3300John:
John

Has anyone got any photos of the petrol scammel with or without the traier

Some of my brother’s pics, taken more to remind him of his mates than the lorries I think.
Bernard

I am sure that last picture was of a bloke who was a boy soldier when I was at Taunton in 1955, if not it must be his double. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

albion1938:
Not me, but my late brother (lost him September 2012 :cry: ) was with the REME in Famagusta in 1956/7. Picture attached of him with some Hippos he used to maintain for a service regt, but he actually passed his test in a Bedford OY during his training.
Bernard

If you google the the “Cyprus index” small wars 55 59 you may see quite a few stories of the days when your bro was there also look
On the roll of honour at the names of the squaddies who bought it there was a few r e m e lads on it he may have mentioned em. Thanks also for the pics takes me back . Take care ecka

Afraid I am not a driver from the 50s, closest I would have been was zipping the Dinky military around our garden but I do know a lot of guys and have many photos from the period such as these Austin K9 and Thornycroft Antar

austin K9 ambulance.jpg

les freathy:
Afraid I am not a driver from the 50s, closest I would have been was zipping the Dinky military around our garden but I do know a lot of guys and have many photos from the period such as these Austin K9 and Thornycroft Antar

Thanks for the photos the last ones were in the 60s I think but the scamells I remember well they bring back many memories some sad but many of happy days thanks to you all. Ecka19358