Euthanasia

I own a number of firearms and shotguns (legaly) And have said for years that if I was ever in a state where I was well on the way to being a vegetable or die a slow, painful death - one of them bullets has my name on it, I even seriously considered it four years ago when my fiancee’ left me and my world fell apart.

My mother’s left me quite muddled up about it though; she said how selfish I was expecting her / someone else to clean up after I’ve popped one in my head/heart :confused:

Anyway. I’m all for it, though it does need to be carefully regulated.

Not too sure about this case though, seems too much like easily led

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-11392718

or this from 2004;

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/derb … 508471.stm

I voted in favour of it. It is my life and I should have the right to end it. Having said that I enjoy life so I would have to be in a bad way to end it.

Wheel Nut:
114 views to date and only 14 votes, good to see there are no negatives though

467 views now and one negative, strange that there is not a comment explaining why they think it is so wrong :confused:

im all for it if your terminally ill and in such a way you lead no existance of life etc. nobody should say we cant take our own lifes if were in that way, i wouldnt want to lie there and suffer in agony. i know if my grandad had suffered any longer than he did and had the choice he would have took it.its hard enough to sit there and watch them suffer, you just cant imagine how it is for the person that is ill.

I lost my mum three years ago. I’m truly thankful that she never really suffered although it was a shock at the time. I did see my favourite Auntie and my dear old Granda have a time of it though with cancer and I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. You wouldn’t let a dog suffer like that and if that’s what that person wants who has any right to stand in their way?

im for it, if i knew i was terminally ill i wouldnt want to have to suffer until my dying day, i remember reading about a chap on toprun who was diagnosed as terminally ill in switzerland, he opted for euthanasia, said farewell to his family and friends and died with dignity. i was chatting to a friends dad who now works in a nursing home, an old boy there just clutches his chest all day rocking back and forth, doesnt know who he is who anyone is where he is, thats not life, thats prolonging the misery for his family, he doesnt have any sort of life like that, who would want to end their days like that?

Lucy:

harry:
This is shockingly morbid stuff! Life is such a precious gift & has so many unexpected twists & turns it seems strange to me to get so low to plan to end it.

Thing is, when your doctor sits you down and TELLS you to think about your End of Life Plan, it becomes a whole different ball game, Harry. Especially when you’re only 29 at the time. For me it’s not a matter of “getting low”, it’s a matter of having no choice. My disease WILL carry me off prematurely, therefore I HAVE to think about how that happens. Better to do it now whilst I have full capacity to do so, than be forced to make these kind of decisions too far down the line to be able to do anything about them. Now the decision has been made, I can get on and live my life to the full, knowing that the burden of doubt and worry about the future has been lifted.

I’ll go when I’m ready. When I[/i] choose, not my MS.
[/quote]
WOW what a subject! most people avoid talking about death in any form as most I feel are scared of dying? Lucy you sound like you are a truly amazing person! I have never met you or spoken to you but I already have the upmost respect for you. You speak about something that is the most personal thing I can imagine, your avatar is very appropriate! I have also question this subject not for myself but for others as I am a carer and I assist many different people who need support ranging from just being old & frail to alzheimers and also MS, so my opinion is varied. Simply just being old and wanting as Animal quoted to stop the world I want to get off is a tough one in my head as I see the aftermath of the family, like poor Darkseeker’s mother, I’m glad to read she brought you to your senses!! but I can understand and hopefully emphasise with the said person when their body just wont allow them to do things themself, especially the very personal care, but I hope that by me doing my job that they should never feel they have lost their dignity. I feel that my role as a support worker takes away the dignity issues that may occur when its is someone you know or love taking care of you? My Mother has also expressed many wishes for me to carry out in her time of need? I make light of the subject and tell her that hopefully she will have dementia and won’t remember me so I do what a like? yes she laughs!! but I’ll cross that bridge when I have to, and remember and respect her wishes!..Lucy my clients that I support with MS are what I consider to be too young to die they are in their 60’s. I know a little about MS and I know it take on many forms in many different stages from day to day, so some days are real crap! others ok? but in the time I have been working with my clients, I am constantly suprised by their drive to live and enjoy their life as positivly as they can,my job is very humbling!! one of them speaks of the frustration of not being able to walk his daughter up the isle when the time comes, but his mind is not affected so he will be just as proud to share the experience and have the memories. The other client depends on us support workers to do everything for him, his wife also has MS but not to the extremity of his so is able to look after herself, we feed & wash him get him out of bed then put him back at the end of the day, toilet him through out the day ect, we attend 6 times a day so there is a team of us, he accepts us all and make us feel welcome and needed. He has a wicked sense of humour! and whenever someone new joins our team he always make a joke right at the most intimate time usually, something like have we hidden his wifes walking sticks while two of us carers are rolling around in his bed with him trying to get him comfortable :smiley: it makes my day seeing him! I would be devastated if he chose to end his life, but if that time comes I hope I’ll understand?.. Malc I think your story about your brother tells us you also are a very courageous man and if I was your brother I would be very proud of you! I would if I was you hopefully make the same decision but also question myself in time about should I of, or what if I?thats just humanity. With regards to your Aunties quality of life, that I’m not sure on that one, as I also look after alzheimer clients which I rightly or wrongly I say “they are away with the fairys” and are not suffering so is euthanasia the answer? My previous career was as a veterinary nurse, so I have helped with euthanasia of animals which I always veiwed as release rather than ending their lives like you say that choice has only been made if the animal is suffering. If someone I know is in pain then I’m the first one on the phone to medics insisting on more relief! I have not witnessed myself anyone suffering with cancer which pain relief cannot help, they have usually been moved into some hospice and are looked after by trained nurses. I can’t believe they would be left to suffer in agony!!! as someone quoted for a reason pro euthanasia. I think I read that Euromat tells us of his friend who chose to say farewell and died with dignity… thats good to read but I really don’t think I could say goodbye to anyone in that way “What do you say?” but if I was faced with that situation hopefully I would know! I am myself am not frightened of dying, I think at 43 I got a few years left yet, but since my friend Gary died last month it really has changed me in many ways too many to bore you with! pro & cons. I live my life everyday and I will deal with things when I have to, I feel touched by everyones stories but right now my choice is not either way in this debate…Best Wishes to you all…Sam.X