Euro6XF Vibration

The new centre bearing hasn’t resolved the problem. Am now awaiting a DAF service engineer to come and give his opinion!!

Could it be a clutch problem?

I will put money on it being the prop ,been there seen it done it …God I hope I am right lol

What about the tyres , half-shafts , diff unit , I`am very sure the main dealer could sort it out at their expense !!!.

I can’t imagine this happening with a new vehicle out of the factory, however I did get involved about 15 years ago with a vibration problem which was the result of other work recently carried out elsewhere. The flange at each end of a section of propshaft is supposed to be within one to one and a half degrees of parallel with the opposite end flange (slight over- simplification). If it isn’t the result can be vibration. The vehicle in question was a double drive rigid, it had recently had new torque arm bushes fitted to the middle axle, but when reassembled the mounting ‘ears’ through the bushes had been refitted the wrong side of the bracket. This tilted both input and output flanges for the middle axle so that each exceeded the critical relationship with its partner. When repositioned correctly the vibration disappeared.

Had it with 2 straight out the box cav ,and it was the props

nyk473l:
I have a Euro6 DAF XF 510. When the engine is under load between 1000 and 1200 revs there is a severe vibration. Happens in various gears and therefore speeds so isn’t a wheel balance problem. Once above 1200 revs it stops. Only occurs when the engine is under load. Any Ideas, as the dealer hasn’t any!!

Have you driven many other 510s? How much worse is it than others? As I posted before even the demos vibrate.
The current 460s have the same, but not as bad as the 510s. 1100 to 1200rpm when under load, all gears? Difficult to describe but a buzz thro steering wheel, floor of cab, and rattling dash and steer column trim? If so that`s normal.

Franglais:

nyk473l:
I have a Euro6 DAF XF 510. When the engine is under load between 1000 and 1200 revs there is a severe vibration. Happens in various gears and therefore speeds so isn’t a wheel balance problem. Once above 1200 revs it stops. Only occurs when the engine is under load. Any Ideas, as the dealer hasn’t any!!

Have you driven many other 510s? How much worse is it than others? As I posted before even the demos vibrate.
The current 460s have the same, but not as bad as the 510s. 1100 to 1200rpm when under load, all gears? Difficult to describe but a buzz thro steering wheel, floor of cab, and rattling dash and steer column trim? If so that`s normal.

Oh that’s music to a manufacturer’s ears. I’m not having a go at the post, but at the manufacturers. They have been getting away with things for decades. If they can get customers to accept a fault with the vehicle, especially if it gets around that ‘they all do that’ closely followed by ‘don’t worry about it’, then they are laughing all the way to the bank. Even more so if there is an underlying fault which rears its ugly head after the warranty expires.

Franglais:

nyk473l:

No this is the first 510 I have had, had a 460 EEV previously. The symptoms you describe are what it does. However at Truckfest spoke to 3 O/Drivers with new 510’s and they said that they did not experience the vibration. Problem I have is this is first 510 my dealer has seen!!! Will keep you informed and thanks for all the responses.

Perhaps the thread ‘DAF trucks reliabilty: euro 6 engine rattle’ needs to be read in conjunction with this one. There is a very worrying potential development mentioned; should that occur out of warranty an O/D would be in serious trouble. I don’t know how many different wheelbases DAF offers as standard for 6x2 chassis, but if there is only one then either all vehicles should exhibit the same symptoms to a lesser or greater extent, or the construction of individual vehicles is incorrect. So for this to be a propshaft problem, which is not because it is bent, then one has to consider why it could be operating at the wrong angle, which might be incorrect engine mountings, a wrong centre bearing mounting bracket fitted, spacers missing, crossmembers fitted to the wrong holes in the chassis side members, axle incorrectly aligned etc. Even so, the symptoms ought really to be propshaft speed related. However there is a possibility that these two thread issues are related, an engine imbalance and/or vibration is very likely to show up in driveline symptoms. Most drivers will be familiar with the ringing noise coming from the propshaft if the engine is in too high a gear. Noise is the result of vibration.

I will certainly concede that one does get odd rogue vehicles which exhibit illogical problems, but one does need to be exceedingly wary of manufacturer statements about common issues which are of little concern. What they really mean is either that they don’t understand the cause or that they are choosing to ignore it.

cav551: I see you highlighted my comments "thats normal". Well I guess we are on common ground here. It doesnt seem to me too that it should be normal ! It seems to be a feature of the latest models. The 4 460s 65plates we are operating are all suffering from this vibration, but not as badly as the 510 demo we had. The driver that had it for a week hated the thing! Says summat when a driver would prefer a 5year old 460 to a new 510 demo?! To avoid it one can change down gear manually, but at cost of increased fuel usage tho. I do wonder that since we can feel it in the spring mounted cabs, then what effect is it having on components mounted rigidly on the chassis? Our 460s have had the top “tin” heat shield on the DPF crack. And 2 of them have rattling noises from the cover over the adblue tank. Dunno if they will be as long lived as previous models? The cooling system is much better so that should help with engine longevity. But at 50k km there seem to be some “clunky” gear changes going on already. I wouldn`t want to have one of these without a full R & M deal on it!

Any news on this issue?

Franglais:
Any news on this issue?

Been a bit of a delay, but have a DAF service engineer testing the tractor with a loaded trailer end of next week. Will update as things develop.

The reason we had a 510 demo was, a DAF engineer took one of our units on road test with loaded trailer, agreed that there was vibration, so it was taken in for a week for in depth investigation. Now DAF say the vibration is “normal”. As I said its only on our 65 plates not on previous models. Ive driven various DAFs over the years, and IMHO, their latest offering is (by contemporary standards) the worst by far.

We’ve had the same issue with one of our euro 6 XF510’s, excessive vibration under load, appeared at around 7000kms, but also accompanied by loss of power, no urgency from the motor, and so fuel usage is up too. Been back at the dealers three times now under warranty, they have had it out with their test trailer on and accepted there’s an issue, but no faults recorded when they plug the DAVIE in so they don’t seem to know where to start. It’s had software updates for days, the gearbox out for a poke around, had a new turbo fitted and then finally a new ECU. Thought that had cured it but no, lasted about two weeks until it went flat again…
Driver says the vibration never got sorted though, he can’t believe DAF haven’t sorted it.
All in all its been off the road at the dealers for over a month in total, it’s only just a year old. Not good and the gaffer’s afraid it’s a lemon and will never be right. Think he’ll want to move it on once the finance is cleared…
All supplied on the ever present 2yrs R&M, our fitters are dreading when they have the responsibility for them all. Our workshop foreman says the XF was bulletproof for us at Euro 3&4, the 5’s have a lot of probs with nox sensors, but he’s never known as many different things go wrong as we’re getting on the Euro 6 motors. We only have 7 so far, 2 have had new water pumps, but lots of various other little niggles too, including one that shows up an adblue warning light every time the ad blue is topped up! Not just the mechanical stuff either, leaking cab roofs, Ill-fitting interior trim and aircon faults too.
Gaffer says he’s waiting for the new Scania cab later this year, but we’ll see. I reckon they’ll be at least £20k more than the DAF. £20k buys a lot of patience doesn’t it…

30poulter, hi, re leaking cab roof our Super Space have all had water running down inside of windscreen. It seems not to be leaks, but rather condensation in cold weather. Weve had the DAF fitters climbing over the roofs with seling goo during the winter, to no effect, but now with warmer times the problem has gone. Guess wait for frosts and see if water returns? Having had DAFs for a few years now, and no real problems, Im really disappointed with their latest offering.

Well, had the DAF technical engineer take the vehicle out and surprise, surprise, he feels there is not a fault with engine or transmission. He thinks the vibration in the steering column is caused by something under the dash!! They are now going to take the instrument panel out and have a look!!!

Oh deep joy! :unamused: That’s a recipe for annoying rattles until the day the thing is scrapped with all that snap-together flimsy plastic in modern vehicles. Never mind it’s nothing an aerosol of expanding foam won’t cure. Assistance from Bryant and May required. :smiling_imp:

My bet is that nowt amiss will be found. And as the vehicle gets more miles under its wheels, and the small gaps in trim wear into bigger gaps, well. . . . Seems that with current engine set up: "they all do that sir!" Any potential purchasers with happy experience of previous models would be well advised to test out latest trucks before considering buying. Not a patch on earlier models from drivers point of view IMHO.

Has the factory "engineer"still got his head stuck under the dash?