euro ex-pats

Pete,

Yes I was with him in White Trux around 1983 and he had a black Bentley Continental. I got on all right with him but he was a bit short with me one Saturday when I got ‘captured’ with a dodgy permit in Calais and had to come home foot passenger while he took the owner of the permit in the Bentley to fetch the motor back. No recriminations though.

Know what you mean about the same old routes. Nothing I like more than going somewhere new but in my time there we were running up and down with containers for Colonel Gaddaffi to Savona docks. Good fun because we were all together and spent many happy hours drinking and eating on the beach waiting for backloads but generally - boring.

When I worked there he had a rogue called Pete Farbrace in the office. He had been my TM at Cheverall’s and later Howse’s in Luton and got me the job. Don’t suppose he’s still there? Of drivers I remember Billy Broad, Tony Buckle Stuart somebody who had been a guest of Her Majesty in Nottingham. The one we ironically called ‘Pathfinder’ because he was always always getting lost and the 2 Richards, Big & Little. Billy Broad was a Lancashireman, married to a ferry crewmember Anne and living in Dover. Tony was married to someone at Laser and lives in our memory for rescuing my wife from the sea when all the rest of others thought she was waving, not drowning!

Happy days, Salut, David.

The only person I know from the names you quote is Tony Buckle, who’s still driving for Michael, has been for 30 years, he told me. One of the old school drivers, popular everywhere he goes, known in truckstops everywhere, despite his awful French, of which he is very proud. His wife used to work for Laser, then for my old boss Joe McNeill at Goldfinch, who has sadly gone bust, or closed down.

I’m still on the road rock n roll trucking for Peter Gabriel. Cor it’s hard work, but the money is out of this world.