Eu referendum whats your vote

While I am not as articulate as “Buzzer” I am never-the-less in full agreement with his excellent explanation of the current unsatisfactory situation that now engulfs our Great Country, but I do take exception to anyone that lives outside the UK “pontificating” as do as I say not as I do ! If I was living outside of the UK I would not in a thousand years try to determine the outcome of anything that affected my previous country of origin when I no longer reside in the Country of my birth ! Bewick.

cav551:

Franglais:
[

Companies want turnover above all else.

The path to ruin, but it certainly seems to be the modern mantra among these so called senior managers and ‘executives’. Everything has to be bigger and attempts made to put all competitors out of business, until suddenly someone WITH a brain wakes up to the fact that they are not making a profit. But by then it is usually too late.

Absolute tossers.

Ironically if they were all about turnover and putting the competition out of business why would our domestic industry want to turn down an offer which would give them a competitive edge in the more valuable domestic market,and where their foreign competitors presently sell more stuff.In exchange for ditching the EU export markets where those domestic producers sell comparatively zb all and certainly no where near enough to balance what’s being imported.IE firms like JLR would surely be expected to say if Barnier wants a trade war then bring it on because the EU ( especially ze Germans ) losing their stranglehold over the domestic car market,in favour of domestic producers,can only possibly be a good thing for us as the losses in EU exports can’t possibly exceed the gains at home.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
WTO rules don’t apply to cars the only rules are that there are no rules in that regard.

Really?
WTO product number 87/03/221000 for cars
“Other vehicles, with only spark-ignition internal combustion reciprocating piston engine
Of a cylinder capacity not exceeding 1 000 cm3
87 03 210000
Of a cylinder capacity exceeding 1 000 cm3 but not exceeding 1 500 cm3
87 03 220000
New
87 03 221000”
There`s an example of vehicles attracting 10% tariff from third countries, into the EU. So in a hard Brexit our cars would be 10% dearer in EU than now. Not good for exports and employment in the UK.

Carryfast:
Then specifically target all German car imports with a 100 % tariff to apply with immediate effect while removing VAT on JLR sales.Then if the EU wants a real trade war after that give em one.

Fine idea. They will of course reciprocate won`t they?

“80% of the UK’s car production is exported, of which 54% goes to EU member states. In 2017, the United Kingdom produced 1.75 million motor vehicles, exporting 800,000 of these within the European Union.”
acea.be/statistics/article/ … u-partners

And here
fullfact.org/europe/german-cars-uk/
About 1 in 7 German cars are sold in the UK.

So a trade war could mean Germany losing 14% of their sales and the UK losing 40% of sales.
Dont look good to me. And if such a trade war took off would TATA continue to use the UK as their European base, would Ford, Honda etc etc continue to invest in a country with practically zero sales into the EU? I could make a fair bet they wouldnt.
Trade war? . . . Both sides loose in wars, but the UK stands to loose the most.

Make your mind up.On one hand you say that there are WTO rules regarding cars then on the other tariffs can be applied as and when it suits you.If it’s supposedly only 10 % tariff on third country imports to the EU then how do we end up with 30% added to the price of US vehicle imports ?.Oh wait the EU calls the extra VAT with VAT of course also being levied on the duty.In which case we can remove the duty ‘and’ the duty VAT component from domestic and US imports.While piling duty ‘and’ the resulting VAT component onto Kraut imports.Effectively reversing the situation that exists regarding EU v US imports while also providing a massive tax break for domestic products.

As for German car imports remind us exactly ‘how many’ cars form 14% of total German car production as sold here and which of course domestic producers can then take from them on a tariff free basis.On that note 40% of SFA is still SFA as opposed to 14% of total German car production. :unamused: It’s my guess that you can’t possibly be that deluded and as usual desperately clutching at straws to keep your fast sinking EU dreams alive because you know that if we succeed in forcing May to give us the proper Brexit we voted for then the EU foreign aid scam and its blackmail of trade for sovereignty and cash is toast.Let alone when that trade itself is a deficit liability to us. :unamused:

Oh wait reality suddenly dawns on the ze Germans v the remainer rhetoric.IE even by their own reckoning it’s almost 4 billion pounds worth of tariffs hitting ze Germans against 1.3 billion for us.Which makes you wonder exactly who is really behind all the remainer bs and blatant lies such as you’re obviously relying on.When the truth is all the talk of trade barriers is on the EU side with the EU cutting off its nose to spite its face.Because the truth is it knows that no one with any sense really wants to be ruled by such a dictatorial Soviet style bunch of muppets as those who run the EU and if they allow us to go without a fight then loads more will want to join us. :unamused:

europe.autonews.com/article/2017 … t-tariffs-

Bewick:
While I am not as articulate as “Buzzer” I am never-the-less in full agreement with his excellent explanation of the current unsatisfactory situation that now engulfs our Great Country, but I do take exception to anyone that lives outside the UK “pontificating” as do as I say not as I do ! If I was living outside of the UK I would not in a thousand years try to determine the outcome of anything that affected my previous country of origin when I no longer reside in the Country of my birth ! Bewick.

It’s clear that these ‘ex pats’ are just selfishly compromising the interests of their ex country which they choose to no longer live in because they are worried that their cherry picked lifestyle will hit the buffers if/when they have to face all the complication of living in a Europe based on seperate sovereign nation states.As opposed to a USE which suits their personal life style choice better at our expense.

Just a thought,
Brits living in a EU country benifit from pention rises in the UK.
Brits living in “NON” EU countrys get the pention they have when they move, but, no increases from then on.
I just wonder if this has any bearing on “ex pats” thinking on Brexit, as I say, just a htought. Harvey

Interesting turn of the thread.

Buzzer:
Pardon me if you think I am wrong as it appears that more than one commenting on this thread who originally were residing and working in the UK now no longer do so, IMHO you are free to reside outside the UK but why are you so concerned as to what happens to us in Blighty deal or no deal. Surely choosing to live in another country which you obviously prefer relieves you of any interest in the goings on in your motherland, I cannot get my head round this scenario. Its a bit like going into a restaurant and having a bad meal and instead of saying ought you just tell every one and his dog not to have the same experience as you did. The persons I am referring to have made your choice and believe it to be a good one so why not just be content with your present situation and let us back home deal with ours what ever comes our way.
Personally I don’t see a deal happening as what ever is put forward to those lovely [zb] in Brussels they will find fault with what ever we try and do ending in no compromise as they want to be as awkward as they can as a punishment for wanting out of there stinking rules and financial burdens, Buzzer.

The goalposts are being moved for those who choose to move to other EU countries.
When they moved they had full rights in their new countries. Now it is unknown what rights they will or maybe wont have. They are VERY affected by Brexit. It s maybe like going into that restaurant knowing they accept VISA cards, but halfway through the meal youre told, no cards youre gonna wash dishes! Decisions made in the UK affect many more than just those at home.

peggydeckboy:
BUZZER,100% you are correct ,people moved away with all gusto,saying in their heads, yes you can all stay in blighty and get on with it, im off. then they realize where ever they are,
[realizing]hang on.
i have no rights where i am ,“i am a foreigner” [but im british] whoops,did i make a good move ,now you will find out ,yes,you should not have gone in the first place.if i had my way ,you leave,YOU leave,you have no vote,no coming back for the NHS TREATMENT THEN GO BACK AND MOAN ,reduced all pensions to pensioners not living in this country,its to be spent in Britain.
dbp.

As I replied to Buzzer, when these people moved they did so according to one set of rules, the EU rules, now the rulebook is being changed. The “goalposts are being moved”. Most of these people have paid into the NHS all their working lives, and if they they choose to retire in the sunshine, why do you want to deny them the medical care they have already paid for?
Money should all be spent in Britain? Promise me you are typing your posts on a British made phone or computer and I`ll listen more closely to you.

Bewick:

So that is why you dont comment or "pontificate" on Trump and his US Presidency? Im assuming youre not actually a US citizen or tax-payer, If you are I apologize. Why do you say youd like this selfish (USA First) foreigner to come in “We should have him running our country, a successful Business man” ? (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=155358)
No thanks. Weve enough home grown fools running the show, we dont need to import any more!

And just to stop some posters telling you all (wrongly) what I think:
I think the EU is flawed. It is less democratic than it should be. I dont want to be dictated to by Brussels. But it is better than any REALISTIC alternative. The hollow promises offered by various leave campaigners fade to nowt in the light of day. Like democracy the EU is crap, but its still better than the alternatives!

And although it shouldnt make any difference at all, I will say Im in the UK system, and pay all my income tax etc and dont employ any accountants to minimise my payments, or use Ltd Cos etc etc. I am a fully paid up member of Club UK. I am happy to pay into the UKsystem and receive benefits from it. I think the UK should continue to pay into the EU, continue with its voting rights, and free trading benefits. The Referendum went against my wishes, so I accept that.
The out option however was specific that we would leave. It wasnt specific about where we would go. Im hoping that the Exit will be as soft as possible, as a hard Brexit will be a huge mistake IMHO.

ramone:
Please excuse my ignorance but why didn`t Iceland face all these problems when they left the EU ,and how much did they have to pay to leave ?

Try a weekend away in Iceland Ramone!
Prices extraordinarily high.
Bewick,I think people have as much right to comment on an issue in their, or another persons country,regardless of their current location.Didnt this site nearly melt down when Trump got into power?What has that got to do with your average Brit or Irish? Isnt there constant chat on here,even as we speak, about Brexit,(which if one wants to be pedantic),involves another country(or group thereof,EU).
It`s a forum to discuss for Gods sake,and surely my opinion(or others),is as valid as yours(or others).
Though maybe not in Commie land.

Very well put Franglais.
And to reiterate some of what you have said,I too think the EU is far from perfect.And also as you say,“show me an alternative”.
I also believe that Britain,(its MEPs)as much as Germany,France and so on down the pecking order in economic strength,are as much to blame for some of the ludicrous decisions handed down.They have far more clout in these matters than smaller states,Ireland,Belgium,Holland etc etc. Maybe the buzzword here is compromise.Well give you X,if you give us Y.
But no,certain elements of society think that its give and take.You keep on giving Ill keep on taking. Thats not what it`s meant to be.

Carryfast:
On one hand you say that there are WTO rules regarding cars then on the other tariffs can be applied as and when it suits you.If it’s supposedly only 10 % tariff on third country imports to the EU then how do we end up with 30% added to the price of US vehicle imports ?

Isnt EU USA trade under TTIP rules? So WTO doesnt apply?

Carryfast:
As for German car imports remind us exactly ‘how many’ cars form 14% of total German car production as sold here and which of course domestic producers can then take from them on a tariff free basis.On that note 40% of SFA is still SFA as opposed to 14% of total German car production.

Im really not sure what youre saying there?

Carryfast:
is on the EU side with the EU cutting off its nose to spite its face

And YOU are suggesting that we can have a trade war with our biggest customer?

Carryfast:

Bewick:

It’s clear that these ‘ex pats’ are just selfishly compromising the interests of their ex country which they choose to no longer live in because they are worried that their cherry picked lifestyle will hit the buffers if/when they have to face all the complication of living in a Europe based on seperate sovereign nation states.As opposed to a USE which suits their personal life style choice better at our expense.

I went to New York for my 50th just after the Brexit vote and one of my mates was confronted by an Irish girl who had moved to Brooklyn , she started slating him but didn`t expect the reasoned response she got. Her husband apologised and we moved on

Franglais:
Interesting turn of the thread.

Buzzer:
Pardon me if you think I am wrong as it appears that more than one commenting on this thread who originally were residing and working in the UK now no longer do so, IMHO you are free to reside outside the UK but why are you so concerned as to what happens to us in Blighty deal or no deal. Surely choosing to live in another country which you obviously prefer relieves you of any interest in the goings on in your motherland, I cannot get my head round this scenario. Its a bit like going into a restaurant and having a bad meal and instead of saying ought you just tell every one and his dog not to have the same experience as you did. The persons I am referring to have made your choice and believe it to be a good one so why not just be content with your present situation and let us back home deal with ours what ever comes our way.
Personally I don’t see a deal happening as what ever is put forward to those lovely [zb] in Brussels they will find fault with what ever we try and do ending in no compromise as they want to be as awkward as they can as a punishment for wanting out of there stinking rules and financial burdens, Buzzer.

The goalposts are being moved for those who choose to move to other EU countries.
When they moved they had full rights in their new countries. Now it is unknown what rights they will or maybe wont have. They are VERY affected by Brexit. It s maybe like going into that restaurant knowing they accept VISA cards, but halfway through the meal youre told, no cards youre gonna wash dishes! Decisions made in the UK affect many more than just those at home.

peggydeckboy:
BUZZER,100% you are correct ,people moved away with all gusto,saying in their heads, yes you can all stay in blighty and get on with it, im off. then they realize where ever they are,
[realizing]hang on.
i have no rights where i am ,“i am a foreigner” [but im british] whoops,did i make a good move ,now you will find out ,yes,you should not have gone in the first place.if i had my way ,you leave,YOU leave,you have no vote,no coming back for the NHS TREATMENT THEN GO BACK AND MOAN ,reduced all pensions to pensioners not living in this country,its to be spent in Britain.
dbp.

As I replied to Buzzer, when these people moved they did so according to one set of rules, the EU rules, now the rulebook is being changed. The “goalposts are being moved”. Most of these people have paid into the NHS all their working lives, and if they they choose to retire in the sunshine, why do you want to deny them the medical care they have already paid for?
Money should all be spent in Britain? Promise me you are typing your posts on a British made phone or computer and I`ll listen more closely to you.

Bewick:

So that is why you dont comment or "pontificate" on Trump and his US Presidency? Im assuming youre not actually a US citizen or tax-payer, If you are I apologize. Why do you say youd like this selfish (USA First) foreigner to come in “We should have him running our country, a successful Business man” ? (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=155358)
No thanks. Weve enough home grown fools running the show, we dont need to import any more!

And just to stop some posters telling you all (wrongly) what I think:
I think the EU is flawed. It is less democratic than it should be. I dont want to be dictated to by Brussels. But it is better than any REALISTIC alternative. The hollow promises offered by various leave campaigners fade to nowt in the light of day. Like democracy the EU is crap, but its still better than the alternatives!

And although it shouldnt make any difference at all, I will say Im in the UK system, and pay all my income tax etc and dont employ any accountants to minimise my payments, or use Ltd Cos etc etc. I am a fully paid up member of Club UK. I am happy to pay into the UKsystem and receive benefits from it. I think the UK should continue to pay into the EU, continue with its voting rights, and free trading benefits. The Referendum went against my wishes, so I accept that.
The out option however was specific that we would leave. It wasnt specific about where we would go. Im hoping that the Exit will be as soft as possible, as a hard Brexit will be a huge mistake IMHO.

The fact is we can’t sacrifice the interests of the country to suit the selfish interests of ex pats who want to cherry pick a lifestyle which is dependent on this country being a vassal state of the EUSSR.As for the ‘goal posts’ being moved.No the goal posts are/should be just being moved back to where they were laid out for football as they were in 1972 and not rugby as they were moved to in 1973.In which case if you want to see/play Rubgy you’ll have to go to bleedin Twickenham and not Wembley.Or to put it another way you’ve chosen to live in France so now deal with it by going for French citizenship and leave us alone to live in and decide how to run our own country not yours. :unamused:

TTIP I don’t see how EU - USA trade can be under TTIP rules as Franglais suggests since negotiations collapsed shortly after Trump came to power before they were signed or anywhere near signable. I believe that some low level talks have restarted but don’t expect any agreement before a new president.

I am very much in favour of our leaving on WTO terms. There seems to be a panic regarding automotive and aircraft, both of which do OK under WTO, all planes both complete and components are 0% rated as are automotive components for manufacturing completed vehicles are rated but at lower levels than most bi-lateral agreements. It is true that tariffs would be applied to UK - EU trade but at generally low levels whilst in general the WTO tariffs on goods from outside the EU are much lower than the present EU levels. It’s easy to forget that the EU is massively protectionist towards the rest of the world, this carries a cost; so there are swings and roundabouts.

What I am very much against is using g our freedom to set tariffs to launch trade wars on those we feel slighted by. Go with and stick with WTO tariffs and use Corporation tax as a lever to attract business here. A free trading, open, low regulation and low tax ecenonomy is the way forwards, in fact it is the way we should never have left.

acd1202:
TTIP I don’t see how EU - USA trade can be under TTIP rules as Franglais suggests since negotiations collapsed shortly after Trump came to power before they were signed or anywhere near signable. I believe that some low level talks have restarted but don’t expect any agreement before a new president.

Youre right. Im wrong on that. Not TTIP.

Franglais:

Carryfast:
On one hand you say that there are WTO rules regarding cars then on the other tariffs can be applied as and when it suits you.If it’s supposedly only 10 % tariff on third country imports to the EU then how do we end up with 30% added to the price of US vehicle imports ?

Isnt EU USA trade under TTIP rules? So WTO doesnt apply?

Carryfast:
As for German car imports remind us exactly ‘how many’ cars form 14% of total German car production as sold here and which of course domestic producers can then take from them on a tariff free basis.On that note 40% of SFA is still SFA as opposed to 14% of total German car production.

Im really not sure what youre saying there?

Carryfast:
is on the EU side with the EU cutting off its nose to spite its face

And YOU are suggesting that we can have a trade war with our biggest customer?

So there’s no rule that says that cars ‘have’ to be traded strictly under WTO rules ?.While as I said you’ve conveniently left out the fact that VAT/purchase tax is also levied on the duty.

Which part of 14% of German car production sold here and taken over by domestic producers like JLR,is a lot more than the 800,000 that we can afford to forget about selling in the EU,don’t you understand.More like don’t want to understand.Or you do understand but just want to go on deluding yourself or continuing with the remainer lie that the EU is good for us.

As for a trade war with our so called ‘biggest customer’.No Germany is anything but our ‘biggest customer’.That would be the US,with it being ‘us’ who is Germany’s ‘biggest customer’ to the tune of around 50 billion Euro,assuming that you understand the difference between a trade deficit v a trade surplus.While as usual it’s ‘them’ not us who want to start it for the crime of us not being willing to be ruled by the zb’s nor paying them a fortune in kick backs for the privilege of subsidising their living standards at our expense. :unamused:

Bewick:

Despite your rantings Dennis,I am a British citizen,holding a British passport,I just chose to retire to a different country,it doesn’t make me and the thousands of other expats lepers,we pay into the UK tax system on earnings and from our pensions,both state and private,that in itself gives us a creditable say in the present and ongoing political debacle.

David

acd1202:
I am very much in favour of our leaving on WTO terms. There seems to be a panic regarding automotive and aircraft, both of which do OK under WTO, all planes both complete and components are 0% rated as are automotive components for manufacturing completed vehicles are rated but at lower levels than most bi-lateral agreements. It is true that tariffs would be applied to UK - EU trade but at generally low levels whilst in general the WTO tariffs on goods from outside the EU are much lower than the present EU levels. It’s easy to forget that the EU is massively protectionist towards the rest of the world, this carries a cost; so there are swings and roundabouts.

theguardian.com/business/20 … -wto-rules
“The increase in costs – equivalent to more than 10% per vehicle – would hit the average UK-built car if Britain falls back on World Trade Organisation rules after leaving the European Union.”

Why would any company investing in a future car plant saddle themselves with these costs? Why wouldnt they build/expand in a different EU country? The long term doesnt look good under WTO to me.
Swings and roundabouts associated with the EU, yes.
The Japanese car makers dont make large exports of vehicles from the EU to other regions, maybe because of this, but we are where we are. And if Japanese makers need a factory for the EU, surely it will be in the EU, not in a 10% dearer neighbour. I cant see them having a factory in the UK to export cars to anywhere else.

acd1202:
What I am very much against is using g our freedom to set tariffs to launch trade wars on those we feel slighted by. Go with and stick with WTO tariffs and use Corporation tax as a lever to attract business here. A free trading, open, low regulation and low tax ecenonomy is the way forwards, in fact it is the way we should never have left.

It isnt popular to say it out loud here, but I favour a higher taxed system. The NHS we once were so proud of wasnt funded by a low tax free for all. It needs more money and that should come from taxes of course. Thats the real world solution, not some idea of private medical providers who give care AND take out profits all at less cost! The Scandinavian countries seem (from my position here) to be better balanced than free-wheeling societies where the less able are left behind. Id rather live a society where it isnt OK for companies to prey on the unwary and gamble with investors monies to turn profit. Low corporation tax? Encourage companies to base themselves here in order to avoid paying taxes in the countries they earn profits? I suspect that will be going the way of "self employed" loopholes in the UK system. Take a few years of course but itll happen.

Franglais:

acd1202:

It isnt popular to say it out loud here, but I favour a higher taxed system. The NHS we once were so proud of wasnt funded by a low tax free for all. It needs more money and that should come from taxes of course. Thats the real world solution, not some idea of private medical providers who give care AND take out profits all at less cost! The Scandinavian countries seem (from my position here) to be better balanced than free-wheeling societies where the less able are left behind. Id rather live a society where it isnt OK for companies to prey on the unwary and gamble with investors monies to turn profit. Low corporation tax? Encourage companies to base themselves here in order to avoid paying taxes in the countries they earn profits? I suspect that will be going the way of "self employed" loopholes in the UK system. Take a few years of course but itll happen.

How can we increase tax revenues when ze Germans have most of the industry in Europe and what’s left is all based on mimimising income levels by employers making best use of,or taking advantage of,free movement of low wage expectation labour.In addition to single rate taxes levied on purchases to save high earners paying so much income tax.In which case you end up with the situation of people minimising their consumer spending leading to both low economic growth and low tax revenues.

As for the NHS system of funding.You obviously seem to be applying double standards assuming that you’re happy to live under this system supposedly providing the best health care spending in Europe but ironically still lower than that of the USA.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_ca … are_system

HRS:
Just a thought,
Brits living in a EU country benifit from pention rises in the UK.
Brits living in “NON” EU countrys get the pention they have when they move, but, no increases from then on.
I just wonder if this has any bearing on “ex pats” thinking on Brexit, as I say, just a htought. Harvey

Harvey,

For what it is worth,I side with what appears to be the majority on Trucknetuk,the U.K. should leave ASAP,it will not have any bearing whatsoever on any of my pensions whether the UK remains or leaves.

With regards to your statement that pensioners in non eu countires do not benefit from any increases,that is incorrect,there are 16 countries not in the eu,where a UK pensioner DOES receive the annual increase.
David

Franglais:

acd1202:

theguardian.com/business/20 … -wto-rules
“The increase in costs – equivalent to more than 10% per vehicle – would hit the average UK-built car if Britain falls back on World Trade Organisation rules after leaving the European Union.”

Why would any company investing in a future car plant saddle themselves with these costs? Why wouldnt they build/expand in a different EU country? The long term doesnt look good under WTO to me.
Swings and roundabouts associated with the EU, yes.
The Japanese car makers dont make large exports of vehicles from the EU to other regions, maybe because of this, but we are where we are. And if Japanese makers need a factory for the EU, surely it will be in the EU, not in a 10% dearer neighbour. I cant see them having a factory in the UK to export cars to anywhere else.

Well you got me to follow a link to the Guardian, 10/10 for that.

It is true that going to WTO rules would impose an effective sales tax on UK produced cars sold within the EU, however cars sold out of the EU would be reduced almost half of our exported cars leave the EU according to SMMT data. On the otherhand we may see the Honda Accord for instance reintroduced here since it’s was withdrawn due to EU import duties. This is only part of the decision on where to manufacture though, employment costs and employment law together with taxation costs also figure, we do well with these now and could do better after Brexit, and no I’m not proposing wage cuts. Also the billions of investment already made here some since the referendum also must weigh heavily I’m any decision. Ultimately however if a plant does close I’m afraid my view of one door opening as one closes may sound harsh, but it is true.