Eric Vick Shutting Up Shop After 70 years

109LWB:

biggriffin:
Wouldn’t be closing, due to the land being worth enough to retire on,and have no worrys in life…■■

The yard is down a single track lane behind what’s left of the old Quedgely RAF site. It’s called stank lane, which I can’t imagine many developers would want to take on for marketing. It’s also surprisingly small.

So, it`s a
“Bijou site with potential for improvement. No through traffic. An interesting history, and a quaintly unusual name”?

Franglais:

109LWB:

biggriffin:
Wouldn’t be closing, due to the land being worth enough to retire on,and have no worrys in life…■■

The yard is down a single track lane behind what’s left of the old Quedgely RAF site. It’s called stank lane, which I can’t imagine many developers would want to take on for marketing. It’s also surprisingly small.

So, it`s a
“Bijou site with potential for improvement. No through traffic. An interesting history, and a quaintly unusual name”?

I’m sold…

Why are you an hgv driver? Clearly your heart lies in property. Go live your dream…

109LWB:

biggriffin:

Theres also the site next to the A38, half a mile from the M5…

the nodding donkey:

109LWB:

biggriffin:

That’s the one I was thinking of , used to be a pub opposite but I think it’s closed down now .

spike78:

the nodding donkey:

109LWB:

biggriffin:

That’s the one I was thinking of , used to be a pub opposite but I think it’s closed down now .

It’s now a Costa coffee. Before that was a wheelchair vehicle seller. That’s also tiny, just a warehouse and a bit of hardstanding.

Riho:
So how come S&K are still running?

Easy answer, dow corning contract, near enough everything they do is dow corning connected.

RIPPER:
Sad that another long standing haulier has decided to call it a day :frowning:

translogistics.net/2020/02/fami … -70-years/

Coming south today on the M6 near metal bridge at13:30 saw a Volvo of theirs going north I thought they had closed down.

The site has been taken over by another company and most of the trucks were marked up for auction when I was in there recently.

They might have a couple still running as I was seeing one most mornings, but haven’t seen it for several weeks

Geoffo:

Riho:

Harry Monk:
Like many a British international transport company, their business model just couldn’t withstand the far lower cost base of eastern European companies competing for their work. They weren’t the first and they won’t be the last.

Maybe it was a failure of management to adapt to changing market place?

In Bristol Post it said the family members were not actively involved in running the company and the transport manager was 66. The family members just simply did the usual sweat the assets and sell them off to get the money now. As to the old transport manager there are many disadvantages to having a person in the office for. such a long time one of them being lack of vision for the future of the business.

Its tough out there, but which industry isn’t these days?

Have to agree with this.
Harry, I understand your point of view, but as Riho says that the owners are no longer busy with the day to day running of the company then that for me says enough about their lack of commitment to keep the company running.
Yes it’s tough out there, but you have to adjust to the times to keep any business successful.

Many people, drivers and other are very quick to point to management as being the problem. That may or may not be the case. In comparison with S & K or any other haulier there are many factors to be borne in mind. The primary existence of any hire and reward company is to make money. I am sure after a couple of generations that Eric Vick was adept at doing such over many years. In that time they would have become innately entwined with a host of workers and suppliers. Drivers for example would have been paid a fair days wage for a fair day’s work I assume. Along with that come pension entitlements etc. So they navigate the waters of road haulage for 70 years through thick and thin. Yet people flog out an idea that they were slow to adapt. Maybe after 70 years they have analyzed the marketplace and seen an environment where only low cost bases of Eastern European and Turkish, Ukrainian etc. business models will survive. They may have decided you know what let’s call it a day, pay our people off and walk off into the sunset. It could be a great managerial/ family decision. I would say they may well be right and you may find the likes of S & K could being following a similar path in the next decade, voluntary or involuntary.

Riho:

Harry Monk:
Like many a British international transport company, their business model just couldn’t withstand the far lower cost base of eastern European companies competing for their work. They weren’t the first and they won’t be the last.

Maybe it was a failure of management to adapt to changing market place?

In Bristol Post it said the family members were not actively involved in running the company and the transport manager was 66. The family members just simply did the usual sweat the assets and sell them off to get the money now. As to the old transport manager there are many disadvantages to having a person in the office for. such a long time one of them being lack of vision for the future of the business.

Its tough out there, but which industry isn’t these days?

Many people, drivers and other are very quick to point to management as being the problem. That may or may not be the case. In comparison with S & K or any other haulier there are many factors to be borne in mind. The primary existence of any hire and reward company is to make money. I am sure after a couple of generations that Eric Vick was adept at doing such over many years. In that time they would have become innately entwined with a host of workers and suppliers. Drivers for example would have been paid a fair days wage for a fair day’s work I assume. Along with that come pension entitlements etc. So they navigate the waters of road haulage for 70 years through thick and thin. Yet people flog out an idea that they were slow to adapt. Maybe after 70 years they have analyzed the marketplace and seen an environment where only low cost bases of Eastern European and Turkish, Ukrainian etc. business models will survive. They may have decided you know what let’s call it a day, pay our people off and walk off into the sunset. It could be a great managerial/ family decision. I would say they may well be right and you may find the likes of S & K could being following a similar path in the next decade, voluntary or involuntary.

I see the reason for losing Eric Vick in a much simpler form, he was a farmer and farmers son who needed some stuff shifting, he did it himself and then shook a few hands over the years which carried him and his family through to his death. I bet you could ask him for a rate to Khanushifit and he would already know where his back load was.

Old School companies with desk pads and 12 year old calendars on the wall.