ERFs with 4MW cabs RHD & LHD

I’ve mentioned those rare export 4x2 4MW-cabbed units on this thread before. Know LHD examples went to Kuwait, Taiwan and elsewhere in the Gulf. I’ve found an example of some more in the Summer 1971 issue of ERF’s own CHASSIS magazine. Rolls 220 power and a six-speed 'box - almost certainly a David Brown, I’d say. These went to Doha in the Trucial States, which are now known as the United Arab Emirates (UAE), although Doha is not in the modern UAE as it is in Qatar. Robert

Here’s a good picture of one of what appears to be one of the large consignment of LHD 6x4s sent out to Jordan Phosphates in 1968. It was taken at the Earls Court Motor Show in 1968 and posted on another ERF thread by ‘Moomooland’ this morning. Robert

6MW cab. Robert

31745033985_8bc04e995e.jpg

Foreign article from brussels show.

DEANB:
Foreign article from brussels show.

That’s a 3MW cab. Nice bit of history though. robert

A fine example from the Heavy Haulage through the Years thread. R

bakersa.PNG

img916%20(2).jpg

Some RHD-oldies

ERF-Continental:
Some RHD-oldies

Ist pic shows an ERF with an MV cab (prob a 2MV judging by the front axle position). 2nd pic is a 4MW. Robert

A LHD example is exhibited at one of the shows in this photo. Robert

ERF-Continental:
Some RHD-oldies

Hiya…that lorry infront of the garage is an MV not MW

ERF-NGC-European:

Hiya…interesting photo… the MW with the spotlight on the roof is one of the 1968 jordanian phosphorus lorries (1 of a batch of 50)…2 batches went out.
the far lorry that looks like a fire engine is a one off 4x2. she had a 5 cylinder gardner engine david brown gearbox and single speed eaton axle. she was slow
only 48 mph… that lorry has survived ive not seen it for a while. a potato merchant nr Crewe owned it the last tiem i saw it…in my view they fitted the
wrong headlights they was small square ones not the 7 inch twin like on fire tenders… it was the same as a fire engine cab cut 12 inches behind the door pillars…
.Robert thats 1968 at earls court show.the LV has the small grills in the top radiator door 1969 they was bigger height wise

john

3300John:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hiya…interesting photo… the MW with the spotlight on the roof is one of the 1968 jordanian phosphorus lorries (1 of a batch of 50)…2 batches went out.
the far lorry that looks like a fire engine is a one off 4x2. she had a 5 cylinder gardner engine david brown gearbox and single speed eaton axle. she was slow
only 48 mph… that lorry has survived ive not seen it for a while. a potato merchant nr Crewe owned it the last tiem i saw it…in my view they fitted the
wrong headlights they was small square ones not the 7 inch twin like on fire tenders… it was the same as a fire engine cab cut 12 inches behind the door pillars…
.Robert thats 1968 at earls court show.the LV has the small grills in the top radiator door 1969 they was bigger height wise

john

Thanks for the background info John. Merry Xmas to you mate! Robert

Robert it just says " in the desert " of FB, you know more ? Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Robert it just says " in the desert " of FB, you know more ? Buzzer.

Hello Buzzer! It’s actually an ERF NGC ‘European’ belonging to CAMEL (Cunard Arabian Middle-East Lines) and was operated out of Jeddah. They had at least two of these, along with a number of B-series units. I wrote a fair bit about this picture on page 145 of the ERF ‘European’ 1975 thread - here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83810&start=4320

It would be interesting to know if CAMEL really did operate more than two of them! Cheers, Robert

Intresting piece that was ERF’s largest export order at the time !

Click on page twice to read.

DEANB:
Intresting piece that was ERF’s largest export order at the time !

Click on page twice to read.

Oh what an excellent find, DEANB, and perfect for this thread! Thank you for posting this :slight_smile: . Robert

Posted by Kenb on another ERF thread today. The ‘fail-safe’ braking system prob refers to the new spring-brake system. ERF were the first to trial and use this in the UK. Ro