ERFs with 4MW cabs RHD & LHD

3300John:
Hiya…have we got a price list for some of these trucks…i recall Peter Foden saying you could have the luxury
of a steel sleeper cab for 1000 pounds extra if companies would pay.
have we a price for a A series 4x2 Gardner 8lxb in 1972 with a 7LV cab
compared to the same running gear but with the 5 mw cab.
even try the same vehicle with a 220 ■■■■■■■ as that was more of a standard selling unit with the 5 MW cab
John

Interesting question, John! Robert

Casual Observer has kindly pointed me in the direction of the Brian Edgar website. There is a great pic of UGE 852R in one of its Scottish guises. Robert

UGE 852R Brian Edgar photo.jpg.jpg

robert1952:

Sorry to ask,but is the Kings heavy haulage vehicles shown here,the same company which is currently on T.V. as the Supertruckers series?
regards Chris

chrisb01:

robert1952:

Sorry to ask,but is the Kings heavy haulage vehicles shown here,the same company which is currently on T.V. as the Supertruckers series?
regards Chris

I don’t know anything about the TV thing, but this ERF MKC 952 registered GHY-129K ran for Kings Plant Haulage of Bristol from 1973. Hope that helps. Robert

4487215401_ce19643e39_z.jpg

robert1952:
Great! That’s two 6MWs for the files, at least. I notice that both these vehicles have the big, clearly-defined radiator grille, unlike the 4MWs: could this be an identifying feature, I wonder? Robert :smiley:

No, at least not to distinguish between 4 and 6MW. On page 1, there are at least two 6MWs with the usual grille- Pointer on a “K” plate and LHH on the “N”.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the Doyle tractor on page 1 has 5/6MW lamps in 4MW panels? :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:
Great! That’s two 6MWs for the files, at least. I notice that both these vehicles have the big, clearly-defined radiator grille, unlike the 4MWs: could this be an identifying feature, I wonder? Robert :smiley:

No, at least not to distinguish between 4 and 6MW. On page 1, there are at least two 6MWs with the usual grille- Pointer on a “K” plate and LHH on the “N”.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed that the Doyle tractor on page 1 has 5/6MW lamps in 4MW panels? :laughing:

Oh Lordy! It hasn’t got Rover 105S window winding handles too, by any chance? :laughing: Robert

robert1952:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

Oh Lordy! It hasn’t got Rover 105S window winding handles too, by any chance? :laughing: Robert

Remember the press release I found mid week? The ‘new’ 6MW is mentioned as a cab “….of the same dimension and structure as the set back axle 5MW, but with a forward axle and sharing the 5MW’s improved lighting, heating, ventilation, soundproofing and cab suspension system to reduce driver fatigue…”

By that reckoning all the cabs with a forward set axle and the 7 inch headlamps are 6MW. The bigger grille being just an update for the very last 5 & 6MW cabs produced. The 4MW cab continued for another circa 18 months after 6MW’s were introduced, and seems to have retained the 5-3/4 inch headlamps so far as I can tell.

ERF:

robert1952:

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

Remember the press release I found mid week? The ‘new’ 6MW is mentioned as a cab “….of the same dimension and structure as the set back axle 5MW, but with a forward axle and sharing the 5MW’s improved lighting, heating, ventilation, soundproofing and cab suspension system to reduce driver fatigue…”

By that reconing all the cabs with a forward set axle and the 7 inch headlamps are 6MW. The bigger grille being just an update for the very last 5 & 6MW cabs produced. The 4MW cab continued for another circa 18 months and seems to have retained the 5-3/4 inch headlamps so far as I can tell.

That’s useful to know. So there wasn’t a change-over date like there was for the 3MW/5MW then. Cheers! Robert

Unlike the Leic unit registered RAN, which was a 6MW, I think this one is a 4MW. It is currently on ebay. Robert

robert1952:
Unlike the Leic unit registered RAN, which was a 6MW, I think this one is a 4MW. It is currently on ebay. Robert

Big lamps, post '73- a 6MW, surely.

[zb]
anorak:

robert1952:

Big lamps, post '73- a 6MW, surely.

I thought ‘post 73’ only applied to the 3MW/5MW. Nonetheless, the headlamps should be our guide with regard to the 6MW! Perhaps we should start new threads to clarify the new classes. :smiley: Robert

robert1952:

I thought ‘post 73’ only applied to the 3MW/5MW. Nonetheless, the headlamps should be our guide with regard to the 6MW! Perhaps we should start new threads to clarify the new classes. :smiley: Robert
[/quote]
…or put them all in the same thread, to ease the process of comparison. :laughing:

ERF:
The 4MW cab continued for another circa 18 months and seems to have retained the 5-3/4 inch headlamps so far as I can tell.

I wonder if the “carry over” 4MW mentioned above is identifiable by having a mix of 4 and 6 parts? I refer again to the Doyle tractor, with its large lamps in 4MW-type panels. That statement disagrees with the above, though… :confused:

hiya…that Bakers lorry might have been re registered for some reason you didn’t get s age related plate in those days
don’t go getting excited about that. i liked the small headlights and for what speed you was traveling twin lasers was
no use either. the 7 inch headlights come along with the 7/8 lv cab and become standard… maybe just for looks
ive driven 4.5 6.7 and 8lvs at 70 mph in the dark and had no problems with seeing things…so the lamps was good enough.
may be in the desert you needed more light but headlights was useless many spots did that job.
John

robert1952:

Robert that looks very similar to the 8 wheeler i said was the first MW. i see it said 1970 where was it for that time
i worked with one like that before AUG 1967…i said pages ago it had the detroit fitted thats why the low bonnet cover.

3300John:

robert1952:

Robert that looks very similar to the 8 wheeler i said was the first MW. i see it said 1970 where was it for that time
i worked with one like that before AUG 1967…i said pages ago it had the detroit fitted thats why the low bonnet cover.

The book says 1970, but it may be wrong. If my memory of the dates stated in these threads is correct, the MW’s “production” launch was 1968, so you would have been working with a prototype vehicle. Was that lorry sold to a customer, or just used by ERF for testing etc? (If you have answered these questions before, I apologise for the repetition- it would take me hours to find your original post, given that the information is spread over about a dozen threads).

[zb]
anorak:

3300John:

robert1952:

The book says 1970, but it may be wrong. If my memory of the dates stated in these threads is correct, the MW’s “production” launch was 1968, so you would have been working with a prototype vehicle. Was that lorry sold to a customer, or just used by ERF for testing etc? (If you have answered these questions before, I apologise for the repetition- it would take me hours to find your original post, given that the information is spread over about a dozen threads).

in many books it tells you MJ2711 is the first ERF…ha ha ha ha ha aha a nahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhhahhahah

3300John:
nahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhhahhahah

And that picture came from a magazine, not a book: magazines tend not to be as careful with their captions as books are! :wink: Robert

3300John:
in many books it tells you MJ2711 is the first ERF.

MJ2711 (chassis 63) was rebuilt in the 1970’s using at least two donor C.I. ERF’s wasn’t it John?. I have all the photos somewhere - including the donors used, one other of which I think was chassis 88. In one photo they had managed to snap in half the original “E.R. Foden & Son Diesel” radiator badge!.

ERF:

3300John:
in many books it tells you MJ2711 is the first ERF.

MJ2711 (chassis 63) was rebuilt in the 1970’s using at least two donor C.I. ERF’s wasn’t it John?. I have all the photos somewhere - including the donors used, one other of which I think was chassis 88. In one photo they had managed to snap in half the original “E.R. Foden & Son Diesel” radiator badge!.

hiya when they found the lorry it was used as a tipper in a quarry. the top half passenger side of the cab was missing and it had a sheet of corrugated sheet going over the drivers roof and down to the bonnet and out over the passenger seat. the chassis was cut of at the rear springs.
I made a length of chassis from a drawing from 16 gauge steel what was tacked in place to make the chassis correct. away it went and a new chassis arrived…WRONG… it was the wrong gauge steel so away it went and another new chassis was made. an older retired chap about 70 years come into the wood shed and made the cab from memory which fitted straight on the mountains . the cab was made 3 years before the lorry was ever started. the lorry sat outside for a few years. Des Holford made the sheet steel front panel with a little help from me on the wheeling machine…walking back and forwards for about 2 days putting shape and strength into the metal. the cab roof is sticks so that was covered by the trim shop…i don’t know what was done to the engine or where it went but the gearbox was a mighty problem thats where a donor lorry might have come from…MJ2711 was going to shows with no gearbox for maybe 18 months…Jennings bodybuilders made a new body and the lorry was painted at Jennings … someone had mudguards on the shelf…the lorry was dark blue where paint was left on. the tipper body was wooden with a sheet steel covered floor…chassis numbers I’am certain it was the 3 rd ERF lorry that they found, would that be chassis no 66. the apprentices did alot of work striping springs from axles and things like that…don’t know about the badge i know someone nicked the headlights one time maybe at a show i think… but i,d left Jennings by then.i started for Jennings after a year in college in march 1966 and as far as i know only ever worked for them…Jennings was a 200 year old company making horse drawn carriages before the cabs for Mr Edwin in 1933.