ERF LHD 5MW (European)

Hiya…John Jenks a haulier from stoke on trent only ever run twin steer erf units. about 8 i think he run on the
cornwall run…theres one on the rally scene but i,ve not seen it for about 4 years,
suttons of st helens also run twin steer erf units.although none of the was LHD.

i can confirm some 5mw,s was built abroard i remember going to a exprot packers in Atherstone, then packing a cab they
did some damage with the fork truck on a back corner. i was taken to the packers where i repaired the damage,
there was 6 cabs been cased up with several chassis and running gear. so some lorries went abroad in kit form.
John

@Anorak…I guess you’re right that ERF aimed to take some parts of the German cake…hope one day a picture
will be inputted, and as said it was a twin-steer and not a chines six.

ERF-Continental:
@Anorak…I guess you’re right that ERF aimed to take some parts of the German cake…hope one day a picture
will be inputted, and as said it was a twin-steer and not a chines six.

A Chinese-six is a twin-steer too!! Robert :laughing:

yes, but a twin steer is NOT a Chinese six …

ERF-Continental:

Yes it is - a twin-steer is a Chinese-six, but it doesn’t HAVE to be Chinese six. Personally, as Anorak’s brochure mentions a twin-steer tractive unit, I think it far more likely that ERF submitted a RHD Chinese six chassis (like the photos I posted) perhaps to test the waters, as they were already making them at home. Or it may even have been mis-reported. Without a picture of one, nobody can know whether it is a twin-steer with the 2nd axle placed back or placed forward. Robert

Don’t prefer to argue, we have been there many times, but the 2-axle was set back as the article states.

Moreover I don’t understand the intention that CDB would offer a RHD-5MW at all on their stand, but perhaps
ERF Sun Works wanted to show off about tecnical solutions like air-suspension and twin steer’s

Well, at least we can leave your earlier idea and assumption this vehicle was made for tipper-work.

ERF-Continental:
Don’t prefer to argue, we have been there many times, but the 2-axle was set back as the article states.

Moreover I don’t understand the intention that CDB would offer a RHD-5MW at all on their stand, but perhaps
ERF Sun Works wanted to show off about tecnical solutions like air-suspension and twin steer’s

Well, at least we can leave your earlier idea and assumption this vehicle was made for tipper-work.

No we cannot leave my ‘earlier idea and assumption this vehicle was made for tipper-work’. That was not my idea, it was fact on paper: the double-drive vehicle on the stand was for tipper-work. It was never my assumption that the tipper was a twin-steer because it was not me who confused the two different types of vehicle. I can’t find any reference in the article that Anorak provided to the axle being ‘set back’. Have you got more evidence to share on this? Robert

Here we go…last part of the article

fryske:

Nice find, Fryske! There’s another pic showing this from a different angle on the ERF European thread, along with an excellent picture of it in its prime! I believe it did mostly Portugal work. Ashley Coghill know a bit about it. Robert :smiley:

ERF-Continental:
Here we go…last part of the article

Good! That’s better, and it states quite clearly that it has a set-back axle. It says it is intended to display the same one shown at Earls Court. So it might, just might, still have been RHD and I wonder if they actually displayed it in the end. As you stated earlier, we’ll just have to wait for a picture to turn up! Robert :slight_smile:

robert1952:
[quote=“fryske”

Here we are: I think I’ve found it on flickr. Here is the twin-steer ERF tractor exhibited at the 1968 Earls Court Show (just before the January 1969 Brussels show). I probably sat in it, as I was there! It was a RHD LV 66GXB(RS) and it is thought that the 5 built all went to to Northern Ireland Trailers. Picture below. Robert.

ERF twin-steer 1968.jpg

Well, step by step we’re getting there, at least set back 2nd steering-axle…

3300John:

robert1952:

fryske:

Nice find, Fryske! There’s another pic showing this from a different angle on the ERF European thread, along with an excellent picture of it in its prime! I believe it did mostly Portugal work. Ashley Coghill know a bit about it. Robert :smiley:

Hiya…don’t it make you mad i,ve a photo of the ERF with TWO wind screens fitted. if you wanted to buy one it would be £200,
but in that yard they smash them and think nothing of it.

Steve is it still there?? only on the aussie site a chap is asking for a curved screen for a MW restoration.
John

Yes - it’s still there - well buried!

robert1952:

fryske:

Have you got a link to the pictures and info?

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:

Yes it is - a twin-steer is a Chinese-six, but it doesn’t HAVE to be Chinese six. Personally, as Anorak’s brochure mentions a twin-steer tractive unit, I think it far more likely that ERF submitted a RHD Chinese six chassis (like the photos I posted) perhaps to test the waters, as they were already making them at home. Or it may even have been mis-reported. Without a picture of one, nobody can know whether it is a twin-steer with the 2nd axle placed back or placed forward. Robert

The Twinsteer was more commonly refered to as a ‘Rear Steer’ around the time these LV’s were made. The twin steer term never really came in until the 80’s. Incidently, ERF pioneered the Chinese Six layout about 30 years previous.
A question for 3300 John, were those full sleeper versions of the LV and A series cab built from scractch to order, or were they converted from ready made’s?, as ive seen a few different window variations on the examples ive seen photographed.
Chris.

fryske:

robert1952:

fryske:

Have you got a link to the pictures and info?

Like I said, it’s all on the ERF European (1975) thread, because it’s an ERF European! Robert

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:

The Twinsteer was more commonly refered to as a ‘Rear Steer’ around the time these LV’s were made. The twin steer term never really came in until the 80’s. Incidently, ERF pioneered the Chinese Six layout about 30 years previous.
A question for 3300 John, were those full sleeper versions of the LV and A series cab built from scractch to order, or were they converted from ready made’s?, as ive seen a few different window variations on the examples ive seen photographed.
Chris.

That is why it is designated LV ‘66GXB(RS)’: the ‘RS’ actually stands for ‘rear-steer’! Which is a bit confusing because nowadays we refer to rear-steers as being vehicles whose rearmost axles do the steering (more logical!). However, unofficially, we were still using descriptions like ‘double-steer’ and ‘twin-steer’ to describe Chinese sixes and the like, long before the '80s. I think, wasn’t it Mercedes Benz who in the '80s started officially calling them ‘twin-steers’? I remember driving them - rotten turning circle! Robert :slight_smile:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:

robert1952:
[q