ERF 'European' (1975)

found online

Clearer pic of No.15 on the register, thought to be Cauvas’s 2nd NGC.

I love action / atmosphere pics like these! They’re both taken in the Harem Hotel parking in Istanbul on the Asian side of the Bosphoros. The first pic is off FB and second was taken by Chris Till.

newerfglbaker%20ifor.jpg

You will remember MMG 772P (No.39 on the register) ex-AJ Bradick of Leyton, seen here later working for GL Baker. As it has a container it is probably working out of Silvertown where they had a NYK container contract. One of my informers who drove for them reported that GL Baker ran a 2nd NGC in the livery of the Dutch container company, Ommeren (No.88 on the register). We still await pictorial evidence of this 2nd unit.

Meanwhile, here is a tantalising pic of another ERF, contemporary with the NGCs, in GL Baker on the NYK contract:

I have just wasted half an hour trying to upload info and photo evidence onto here but it keeps timing out and I lose everything and have to re-invent what I’ve written. I give up.

I believe No.30 and No.89 on the register to be one and the same unit on the somewhat flimsy evidence that they both carry an identical small black and rather unusual ■■■■■■■ badge on the front grille. No other NGCs have this.

No.30 is one of the Groenenboom units (12-97-FB), which went on to Steef Slappendel and finished with Trans Arabia as TA 139.

No.89 was the 1974 Earls Court show exhibit.

Dear Ro,

Well, in fact you gave the answer that somehow a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ was put on this chassis.

Somewhere I have an old sign, but it states “■■■■■■■ Diesel” as mounted on generators.

By now the curtains are half open when it concerns the 100 NGC-chassis.

Happy Summer

The above PKC model pic and this one were both found online.

ERF-Continental:
Dear Ro,

Well, in fact you gave the answer that somehow a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ was put on this chassis.

Somewhere I have an old sign, but it states “■■■■■■■ Diesel” as mounted on generators.

By now the curtains are half open when it concerns the 100 NGC-chassis.

Happy Summer

Yes, the black badge does say ■■■■■■■ Diesel. This makes it all the more likely then, that these two units are one and the same NGC.

Earlier this week I discussed the likelihood that Groenenboom of Ridderkerk’s NGC (No. 30 on the reg) was the one displayed at Earls Court.

By sheer coincidence, Patrick (think heavy haulage on TN) has kindly drawn our attention to this excellent new picture of Groenenboom’s 2nd NGC, 06-09-TB (No.49 on the register) online. It was new in '1977 so a late NGC then; and as it looks newish in the photo, that’s possibly the year in which it was taken.

You have to hand it to Groenenboom, they’re still running a modern wide-ranging container operation with the latest Scania and DAF units.

Their '70s-'80s fleet was very interesting, with DAFs, ERFs, FTFs, Macks adding to the variety. Here are a few pics from that era:

db5091f17bccf81243d7606e3d2d0f33.jpg

ObvIP.jpg

ObIP.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

A good and nice try to focus on the Dutch ERF-users…but bear in mind that in that era Groenenboom, Willemstein and Vermeulen had a
small piece of and in their relevant pie…ending in another field of transportation (Vermeulen) or materials handling (Groenenboom) and
others just stopped in this field. Nowadays Groenenboom touched and gained the niche market in container-appliances.

ERF-Continental:
A good and nice try to focus on the Dutch ERF-users…but bear in mind that in that era Groenenboom, Willemstein and Vermeulen had a
small piece of and in their relevant pie…ending in another field of transportation (Vermeulen) or materials handling (Groenenboom) and
others just stopped in this field. Nowadays Groenenboom touched and gained the niche market in container-appliances.

Ah yes - a good point. And here is an example of a Groenenboom NGC with materials (rather than containers).