ERF 'European' (1975)

I think the roof looks the same colour as the cab, also is it not more blue-ey than the other one.

Its only features really are the blanked out sleeper windows and the logo or sticker at the rear above the wheelarch.

As Dean says its a shame the reg is unreadable.

Steve

vwvanman0:
I think the roof looks the same colour as the cab, also is it not more blue-ey than the other one.

Its only features really are the blanked out sleeper windows and the logo or sticker at the rear above the wheelarch.

As Dean says its a shame the reg is unreadable.

Steve

I agree. The only plain blue French one is a completely different shade, as is the blue Swiss one. Reckon we have, for now at least, a new one!

Nice kit :sunglasses:

Les Sylphides:
Nice kit :sunglasses:

I am reliably informed, alas, that PKC ceased trading quite some time ago and that their stocks are exhausted. :wink:

Time for 1:10 scale? Van Steenbergen had ALL of their fleet (read KRUPP, WHITE, VOLVO, SCANIA and MERCEDES-BENZ) in good shape

Steve,

Did the French fella reply to you about that new pic you found ?

Dean,

Unfortunately no response, the guy who posted it seems to post multiple pics of different marques, it would be interesting to know where on Facebook or the net it was found.

I do have a feeling I’ve seen it before somewhere but dismissed it as i thought it was a known pic.

Steve

vwvanman0:
Dean,

Unfortunately no response, the guy who posted it seems to post multiple pics of different marques, it would be interesting to know where on Facebook or the net it was found.

I do have a feeling I’ve seen it before somewhere but dismissed it as i thought it was a known pic.

Steve

Thats a shame,will send you a PM.

Re number 92 on the index. Now have concrete evidence that Roland Dussaillant did operate a NGC and it was factory red,and the registration
ended in “38” for future reference. Unfortunately there are still no photos of it,however my contact has confirmed if they ever find any he will
send them to me.

Surprise,surprise look who supplied it our favourite supplier M.A.B.O. SA,Clichy,Paris.

Luckily Roland took the ERF indentification plate off and it was in his garage.

erf mabo  dussaillant.PNG

DEANB:
Re number 92 on the index. Now have concrete evidence that Roland Dussaillant did operate a NGC and it was factory red,and the registration
ended in “38” for future reference. Unfortunately there are still no photos of it,however my contact has confirmed if they ever find any he will
send them to me.

Surprise,surprise look who supplied it our favourite supplier M.A.B.O. SA,Clichy,Paris.

Luckily Roland took the ERF indentification plate off and it was in his garage.

Brilliant - well done that man! So another in Rocket Red then. I can’t find another ‘loose’ French unit to match the 83 suffix yet. But excellent research nonetheless :sunglasses:

Chassis number is low so possibly an early NGC.

As a demonstrator…it should be a low chassisnumber and I have a feeling that Dussaillant also had drawbars in their fleet,ergo the 4 Volvo F88’s
show 2 tractors and 2 drawbars…I don’t know Roland but there is a relative Michel who could release more.

Note the 62.000 figure directs me to a drawbar…

ERF-Continental:
As a demonstrator…it should be a low chassisnumber and I have a feeling that Dussaillant also had drawbars in their fleet,ergo the 4 Volvo F88’s
show 2 tractors and 2 drawbars…I don’t know Roland but there is a relative Michel who could release more.

Yes, I suppose it could be an early demonstrator which might account for the low chassis number. The first production models, displayed in Brussels in Jan '73 were numbered 22993 (the early Steenbergen one) and 24684 (Thibaut of Stree). The last one off the production line was 31927 (Falcon Freight, Jeddah). This new one is 12176 - not sure why that is followed by 38. Dean mentions that the registration number ended in ‘38’ so it may simply denote the Departement.

The only possible explanation I can think of for the chassis number to be so low, is that it was a pre-production model. This is quite possible, as we have no idea just how many pre-production models were built.

You may be right about the higher weight figure denoting a drawbar. We still have two mystery French NGC drawbar outfits in white, spotted by Alberto Pesanti. But don’t hold your breath! That upper weight figure is almost certainly the design weight, which is always much higher than the plated weight. :wink:

ERF-Continental:

Have had confirmation that it was 100% a tractor unit and as Ro says the 62,000 kgs will be the design weight. Most manufacturers quoted
the design weight on the identification plate and from memory the F88’s sold here had 48,000 kgs on them.
This UK advert mentions 60,000 kgs.

DEANB:

ERF-Continental:

Have had confirmation that it was 100% a tractor unit and as Ro says the 62,000 kgs will be the design weight. Most manufacturers quoted
the design weight on the identification plate and from memory the F88’s sold here had 48,000 kgs on them.
This UK advert mentions 60,000 kgs.

Very good Dean! So we know it’s a tractor unit. :sunglasses: No doubt your informant will in time furnish us with further details, if available.

That excludes the idea that ERF had intentions with demonstrators to influence drawbar-clients.

Bear in mind that at that time (read early seventies) transportcompanies were strugling with the
fact what to do…accept and pay load- and unload-hours for a drawbar whereas the trailer could
be loaded/unloaded at any time in the day…and from the nineties we all saw that transport
was a matter of logistics and nearly all forwarders had multiple numbers of trailers to serve.

ERF-Continental:
That excludes the idea that ERF had intentions with demonstrators to influence drawbar-clients.

Bear in mind that at that time (read early seventies) transportcompanies were strugling with the
fact what to do…accept and pay load- and unload-hours for a drawbar whereas the trailer could
be loaded/unloaded at any time in the day…and from the nineties we all saw that transport
was a matter of logistics and nearly all forwarders had multiple numbers of trailers to serve.

But a drawbar outfit load can be tipped/loaded on two different bays, possibly at two different locations, at once with the drawbar trailer used just like an artic semi trailer.That’s mainly how ours were used for trunking operations at least.Especially with the added flexibility of demount boxes which again are used in a similar way to semi trailers.
There were even successful drawbar trunking operations between Europe and Middle East with European haulage generally being more drawbar based than artics during the 1970s and 80’s.
While allowing proper artic length trailers is a game changer as in the case of NZ and Scandinavia.

Was sent this much better, clearer pic of this NGC recently:

ERF-NGC-European:

Thats alot better than the other one ,never noticed the damage and missing step before.

Had an intresting conversation with someone who worked at ERF about the MABO plate. Do you know what the weight limit was in
France in the 1970s ?

38tonnes, for that reason I had second thoughts that with 62tonnes a combination (drawbar and trailer) was intended

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Thats alot better than the other one ,never noticed the damage and missing step before.

Had an intresting conversation with someone who worked at ERF about the MABO plate. Do you know what the weight limit was in
France in the 1970s ?

From memory, I think it was 38t or 42t depending on axles. Someone will clarify. The designation 420 means 42t so the unit in question was almost certainly a 42-tonner in France. It wouldn’t have been plated as a 420 if it was a 380.