ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-NGC-European:
That caption is very revealing, as it not only quotes what the unions were saying but actually names the TGWU as being the union in opposition!

You need to also factor into that even from then to date the TGWU/UNITE viewed international operations with scorn.In fact they are against any distance work.Other than highly organised trunking operations and even then they prefer to see drivers lumbered with working in hub system warehouse operations rather than driving.
Most of their issues are about protection of the rail worker/train driver elite.
To put it simply they don’t want to see trucks taking work from rail.
No sensible driver wanted to be stuck with a cramped day cab which provided no accomodation for nights out or even just being stranded on domestic trunking operations etc and less ability to absorb impact damage.
I should know having been a loyal union member.
That NGC cab looks the dogs wotsits don’t confuse the politicised Union leaderships with the sensible rank and file working on the front line.
The issue was more about skinflint Brit bosses just taking advantage of out of touch union leadership stupidity. :bulb:

Here’s a potential Mastermind question which I do not remember being answered before:

The ERF, Bedford and Ford long distance offerings from 1973-75 all had maximum gross combination weights of 42 tonnes. Which country had that as a maximum for 4x2 tractor+semitrailer combinations in that period? You time starts…now!

[zb]
anorak:
Here’s a potential Mastermind question which I do not remember being answered before:

The ERF, Bedford and Ford long distance offerings from 1973-75 all had maximum gross combination weights of 42 tonnes. Which country had that as a maximum for 4x2 tractor+semitrailer combinations in that period? You time starts…now!

It was Holland, Belgium and France wasn’t it? But that applied to a two-axle unit + two-axle trailer on domestic or international work IIRC. But then in Holland if you added a fifth axle you could run legally at 50 tonnes gross on domestic work only. Ro

ERF-NGC-European:

[zb]
anorak:

It was Holland, Belgium and France wasn’t it? But that applied to a two-axle unit + two-axle trailer on domestic or international work IIRC. But then in Holland if you added a fifth axle you could run legally at 50 tonnes gross on domestic work only. Ro

I thought France, Germany and Belgium were on 38 tonnes/5 axles, while the Netherlands and Denmark were heavier. Your mention of domestic/international rings a bell though. I’m going to guess:

Italy- 42 tonnes across the board, but with traditional axle limits for domestic, hence their wonderful 4+4 drawbar outfits. Axle limits not enforced for cross-border traffic, so as not to inconvenience operators wishing to exceed the French weight limits. :smiley: Superceded in 1975(?) by 44 tonnes/5 axles/352bhp.

I have a feeling that Spain might have had a 42 tonne/5 axle limit, around that time, but am not sure. Was it 44 tonne? The Pegaso 352cv model was launched earlier- in 1972(?), so that might give a clue. Hopefully, we will be thronged by people with the correct information!

Fresh of the press Ro :smiley: Look whats turned up in the latest batch of pic’s from 40 odd years ago ! :wink:

Phil Horridge NGC.

DEANB:
Fresh of the press Ro :smiley: Look whats turned up in the latest batch of pic’s from 40 odd years ago ! :wink:

Phil Horridge NGC.

Fantastic! And what good photos too! I’ve always liked that Porridge example, partly because it’s such a good livery. What a wonderful find, Dean.

Made my day! :sunglasses:

Ro

Rowena, first of all apologies that I ‘destroy’ this magnificient thread but due to some absence I don’t
recall where to put this post other than where the Foden-family had European-intentions.

Out of the CDB-archives, I skip the conversation as there was a lead to the brochure on the
Foden Universal…and surprisingly CDB did start later with Foden under their umbrella!!!

Though in Dutch…the main content is on the ■■■■■■■ NTC335 connected to a Foden-gearbox!

I hope our [zb]ex-metal-sheeter keeps his horses on hold…he might not as we all know by now.

Stay safe, sound, happy and active,

A-J

ERF-Continental:
Rowena, first of all apologies that I ‘destroy’ this magnificient thread but due to some absence I don’t
recall where to put this post other than where the Foden-family had European-intentions.

Out of the CDB-archives, I skip the conversation as there was a lead to the brochure on the
Foden Universal…and surprisingly CDB did start later with Foden under their umbrella!!!

Though in Dutch…the main content is on the ■■■■■■■ NTC335 connected to a Foden-gearbox!

I hope our [zb]ex-metal-sheeter keeps his horses on hold…he might not as we all know by now.

Stay safe, sound, happy and active,

A-J

Interesting! It’s surprising that Foden didn’t offer this model with a Fuller 'box, which was already popular on the Continent; just as Leyland did.

I remain safe, sound, happy and active to date. I wish you likewise!

PS I didn’t understand your metal-sheeter reference :question:

Thank you…

That’s one of the reasons CDB didn’t accept to import Foden from then…knowledge and parts
on the Foden-gearboxes as well as acceptance indeed from continental customers

Photo by Mike Tebbutt

ERF-NGC-European:

vwvanman0:
Seen on Facebook today. Ever hopeful to find something new?!?

Steve

Hello Steve. Well, at least you’ve brought some humour to the thread! I looked at this picture and scratched my head. ERF didn’t (and flatly refused to) build right-hand drive versions of the NGC. Then I realised that the picture must have got reversed somehow in translation.

As it so happens I can provide the real image with the steeringwheel in the right (ie left) place! By the way, Gypsy Dave is a cracking chap: met him a few times at truck shows and events. Ro

Not sure if you are aware but Gypsy Dave has sadly past away.

Screenshot (14).png

I think we have had this pic on before. Dave Lee took the pic and has just sent me the original.

DEANB:
I think we have had this pic on before. Dave Lee took the pic and has just sent me the original.

Good pic! Never seen that one before. Here’s the one you were thinking of:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

A-J

He’s having a pop at me, for calling him out over his removal of pictures in the past. In this case, it is the Foden S90 brochure. He still hasn’t reinstated the one with the NTC355 engine. The one he’s just put here (why?) is the earlier 335 one. Sometimes, the people who hang around the old vehicle scene are more interesting and unusual than the subject matter itself.

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

A-J

He’s having a pop at me, for calling him out over his removal of pictures in the past. In this case, it is the Foden S90 brochure. He still hasn’t reinstated the one with the NTC355 engine. The one he’s just put here (why?) is the earlier 335 one. Sometimes, the people who hang around the old vehicle scene are more interesting and unusual than the subject matter itself.

:laughing: I guessed as much, which is why I asked the question. The Fodens can stew in their own juice for now, then. So! Back to NGCs.

Here’s a nice shot from Book 3, taken by Dave Wallace.

Ro

First pic by Richard Pountain.

For the second picture:

John 3300 would say “what was in the bin” hence 'old’Lucas indicators and west-coast-mirrors but
that was something CDB perhaps installed and had leftovers from White and Autocar.