ERF 'European' (1975)

Another addition to the above ^^^ post:

There has been some doubt on here about whether MABO of Paris actually supplied NGCs. We know that they supplied B-series ERFs. DEANB and I have for some time been convinced that MABO was supplying the French examples; and now we have proof in the shape of a MABO plate affixed to 1557PF89, :sunglasses: a picture of which I have posted below. Cheers, Robert

thumbnail_image7.jpg

And furthermore, you can just make out ‘Customer MABO’ on the original ERF build-sheet! [see below]

Stunning news indeed chap !!! :laughing: :laughing:

Thats fantastic news that its been bought by someone in this country and most importantly saved.

Looks like all the work finding the seller etc paid off in the end Robert. :wink:

I wonder if it will be restored in its original colours etc ?

Good luck to the owner with this project,will be great to see it restored. :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

There has been some doubt on here about whether MABO of Paris actually supplied NGCs. We know that they supplied B-series ERFs. DEANB and I have for some time been convinced that MABO was supplying the French examples; and now we have proof in the shape of a MABO plate affixed to 1557PF89, :sunglasses: a picture of which I have posted below. Cheers, Robert

And furthermore, you can just make out ‘Customer MABO’ on the original ERF build-sheet! [see below]

Never in doubt chap ! :smiley: :wink:

MABO advert from 1974.

I reckon 1557PF89’s 13-sp Fuller 'box was probably fitted by MABO, as it left the factory with a Fuller RT9509A. NTC 335 engined NGCs did leave the factory with 9-sp Fullers and a few were retro-fitted with 13-sp boxes by the importer. For example, this is exactly what happened to the Corbishley example: it left the factory with a 9-sp and CDB in Brussels re-fitted it with its 13-sp box.

Robert

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Never in doubt chap ! :smiley: :wink:

MABO advert from 1974.

Nice reminder! Yes! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
I reckon 1557PF89’s 13-sp Fuller 'box was probably fitted by MABO, as it left the factory with a Fuller RT9509A. NTC 335 engined NGCs did leave the factory with 9-sp Fullers and a few were retro-fitted with 13-sp boxes by the importer. For example, this is exactly what happened to the Corbishley example: it left the factory with a 9-sp and CDB in Brussels re-fitted it with its 13-sp box.

Robert

RTO 13 speed or just RT ?. :bulb: :smiley:

hi robert,
i hope you are well,
great news about the ERF being rescued, i look forward to seeing it at some shows, you say your 3rd book is out now mate, do i get a copy off you ?
cheers,
gaz.

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

No idea, though in due course I hope we’ll acertain whether it had an overdrive or direct-drive box. I’ll certainly be onto the case and let you know in the end! Robert

tetragaz:
hi robert,
i hope you are well,
great news about the ERF being rescued, i look forward to seeing it at some shows, you say your 3rd book is out now mate, do i get a copy off you ?
cheers,
gaz.

I am just the author mate! I hold no stocks of books. Try Old Pond, Amazon, Waterstones or any of the major book sellers. You can easily buy all the Lorries of Arabia books online. :wink: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
STUNNING NEWS!

In recent times, you may remember that throughout the ERF threads there have been glimpses of some serious restoration of Motor Panels cabbed ERFs, especially the ‘MW’-cabbed series.

I have, for some time been aware of an ERF restorer of MW-cabbed ERFs whose work is of a very high standard; and whose restorations are very closely allied to the work of the founders and archivists of ERF lorries connected with REVS (the ERF conservation group). These restorers have already restored, or are in the process of restoring, some 3MW, 4MW, 5MW, & 6MW examples to a very high standard indeed.

OK: you know No.16 on the (my) register - French-registered 1557PF89, that was in the service of R Collin whose work was Exploitation Foresterie, and whose address was in 89 Montillet.

The restorers / ERF archivists whom I mentioned above, have now acquired this vehicle and it now resides on British soil. See picture below.

Excellent news!!

Furthermore, we now know that this NGC had an NTC 335 engine (not the 290 suggested earlier) and a Fuller 13-sp Fuller box (although there is a remote chance this could be a 15-sp box, though I seriously doubt it).

This lorry is in far better condition than has been reported on this thread. Furthermore, it is entirely intact. We now know that its chassis number was 26672.

All this flies in the face of some considerable ‘fake news’ posted on this thread about this particular vehicle.

I am, of course, utterly delighted that this ‘barn find’ has proved to be a second (only) example of the ERF NGC to be preserved. For me, this is a very exciting development and I only wish it had been acquired in time for my third book on the subject - only just released! It is quite incredible that another (probably the last) NGC has been found in serviceable condition. Brilliant!!!

Here it is, being transported back to dear old Blighty!

If you wonder why I am not acknowledging my sources, it is because I am protecting privacy. All will be revealed in due course!

Robert

Brilliant news, a sort of Brexit-return from the continent :slight_smile:

Well, I hope and am confident that the chassis will get utmost attention and its livery will be correct!

A-J

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

No idea, though in due course I hope we’ll acertain whether it had an overdrive or direct-drive box. I’ll certainly be onto the case and let you know in the end! Robert

That might just possibly settle a small dispute concerning whether the factory got it’s gearing right or wrong.If it’s an RT I’ll be the first to apologise,if not now pending the further info. :wink:

ERF-Continental:

ERF-NGC-European:
STUNNING NEWS!

In recent times, you may remember that throughout the ERF threads there have been glimpses of some serious restoration of Motor Panels cabbed ERFs, especially the ‘MW’-cabbed series.

I have, for some time been aware of an ERF restorer of MW-cabbed ERFs whose work is of a very high standard; and whose restorations are very closely allied to the work of the founders and archivists of ERF lorries connected with REVS (the ERF conservation group). These restorers have already restored, or are in the process of restoring, some 3MW, 4MW, 5MW, & 6MW examples to a very high standard indeed.

OK: you know No.16 on the (my) register - French-registered 1557PF89, that was in the service of R Collin whose work was Exploitation Foresterie, and whose address was in 89 Montillet.

The restorers / ERF archivists whom I mentioned above, have now acquired this vehicle and it now resides on British soil. See picture below.

Excellent news!!

Furthermore, we now know that this NGC had an NTC 335 engine (not the 290 suggested earlier) and a Fuller 13-sp Fuller box (although there is a remote chance this could be a 15-sp box, though I seriously doubt it).

This lorry is in far better condition than has been reported on this thread. Furthermore, it is entirely intact. We now know that its chassis number was 26672.

All this flies in the face of some considerable ‘fake news’ posted on this thread about this particular vehicle.

I am, of course, utterly delighted that this ‘barn find’ has proved to be a second (only) example of the ERF NGC to be preserved. For me, this is a very exciting development and I only wish it had been acquired in time for my third book on the subject - only just released! It is quite incredible that another (probably the last) NGC has been found in serviceable condition. Brilliant!!!

Here it is, being transported back to dear old Blighty!

If you wonder why I am not acknowledging my sources, it is because I am protecting privacy. All will be revealed in due course!

Robert

Brilliant news, a sort of Brexit-return from the continent :slight_smile:

Well, I hope and am confident that the chassis will get utmost attention and its livery will be correct!

A-J

Yes indeed! The restorer’s other ERFs are of a very high standard so I believe we can expect the utmost attention you hope for. And like you, I hope it is restored in its original livery :sunglasses: :wink: ! Robert

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert

That might just possibly settle a small dispute concerning whether the factory got it’s gearing right or wrong.If it’s an RT I’ll be the first to apologise,if not now pending the further info. :wink:

Well, there’s hope for you yet. When KCH 95N, the only other restored NGC, left the factory it had the RT direct-top 9-sp 'box, but was fitted with an RTO9513 by CDB in Brussels before being delivered brand new to its first owner. It is interesting, if not coincidental, to note that both these restoration NGCs served their lives hauling timber out of the woods. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Well, there’s hope for you yet. When KCH 95N, the only other restored NGC, left the factory it had the RT direct-top 9-sp 'box, but was fitted with an RTO9513 by CDB in Brussels before being delivered brand new to its first owner. It is interesting, if not coincidental, to note that both these restoration NGCs served their lives hauling timber out of the woods. Robert

I’m guessing maybe a mixture of off road mixed with motorway running in that example at least ?.It would have been interesting to have seen some road test results in the Ardennes and on the flat given that spec. :wink:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

I’m guessing maybe a mixture of off road mixed with motorway running in that example at least ?.It would have been interesting to have seen some road test results in the Ardennes and on the flat given that spec. :wink:

It is probable that all the (few) 13-sp equipped NGCs were overdrive top boxes. The standard kit was 9-sp direct top, but a few 9-sps were supplied (presumably on demand) with overdrive top. Robert

Further to our discussion ^^^ re the gearbox in the R Collin preservation NGC I am reliably informed by those who inspected the vehicle today, that the original gearbox was definitely an RT9509A. It had been modified, probably when new, with an Eaton 13-sp conversion kit. Such a kit includes a replacement complete 3-speed auxiliary housing that’s fitted in place of the 9509’s 2-speed unit; and a replacement 3-position hand selector valve – ie gear knob – and the associated piping. This converts the RT9509A gearbox into an RT9513A (non-overdrive, you’ll notice). Apparently, it is not possible to convert an RT to an RTO without changing the gear sets in the main gearbox. This was very seldom done because it would be easier to swap the entire gearbox over.

My grateful thanks to the chap who took the time and trouble of apprise me of these facts.

Robert

thumbnail_image1.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

It is probable that all the (few) 13-sp equipped NGCs were overdrive top boxes. The standard kit was 9-sp direct top, but a few 9-sps were supplied (presumably on demand) with overdrive top. Robert

Seems like an inconclusive draw so far Robert.But we do know that at least one conversion is an actual new and pre delivery fit and not after market retro fit modification.Which the info suggests would also need to be a deliberate proper job either way probably a replacement box.Going back to the original discussion I think it went along the lines of the factory RT standard fit being based on a worry about prop shaft speeds with an RTO ?.I’ll stay with the idea that RTO 13 speed would have been a game changer for the road test figures in all regards.

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Seems like an inconclusive draw so far Robert.But we do know that at least one conversion is an actual new and pre delivery fit and not after market retro fit modification.Which the info suggests would also need to be a deliberate proper job either way probably a replacement box.Going back to the original discussion I think it went along the lines of the factory RT standard fit being based on a worry about prop shaft speeds with an RTO ?.I’ll stay with the idea that RTO 13 speed would have been a game changer for the road test figures in all regards.

Good point :sunglasses: : yes, it would seem then that the NGC supplied to Eyckmanns and converted to 13-sp RTO from 9-sp RT by the Belgian importer before delivery to the new customer would have had a complete replacement gearbox. But bear in mind that this would have been a customer decision, not an ERF policy one. A couple of things there, CF. I should have made it clear that we don’t know for absolute certain whether the conversion on this French one was made by the importer in Paris or whether it was a later conversion - not that it makes any difference to ERF’s policy of keeping its final drive ratios tight. Secondly, I’ve never actually claimed that the 9-sp Fuller was better than the 13-sp one, merely that I prefer the 9-sp as a driver (as opposed to an operator). Thirdly, and more as an aside, one of the minor advantages of the direct drive RTs was that they always came in the traditional H-pattern shift whereas the RTOs always had the U-shift (2nd, 3rd, 5th, 4th). The land of preferences is a dreamy place!

At least we now have some concrete info about this magnificent ‘barn find’ and we can rejoice in its progress into restoration and preservation!

Cheers, Robert

My meaning with its original livery was more on the “neutral” orange/red Ex-works-livery to avoid disappointments.

ERF-Continental:
My meaning with its original livery was more on the “neutral” orange/red Ex-works-livery to avoid disappointments.

That too would be a good outcome: ‘rocket red’ and white - ERF’s factory colours at the time! Robert