ERF 'European' (1975)

ERF-NGC-European:
I’ve just stumbled on a Swiss site - tir-transnews.ch - and found this fabulous image of Hans Burkhard’s ZH 120 919! It doesn’t really say anything about it, but what a cracking picture! It seems to have a acquired an illuminated headboard since the existing pictures we have of it. :smiley: Robert

Good find that chap ! :smiley:

It looks as if TIR-Trans may have had a finger in a wide range of transport-related pies, judging by this header. Robert

Well blow me down! Spurred on by my success of yesterday evening, I decided to do a bit more net-surfing over elevenses and would you flippin’ adam and eve it, I’ve found a new pic of the Collin NGC; probably taken quite recently because it’s under cover. Robert

imagesC3K8YXRT.jpg

The ‘buy British’ campaign received a further ERF boost in '78 with the Trail Blazer image. Robert

TRAILBLAZERS.JPG

ERF-NGC-European:
Well blow me down! Spurred on by my success of yesterday evening, I decided to do a bit more net-surfing over elevenses and would you flippin’ adam and eve it, I’ve found a new pic of the Collin NGC; probably taken quite recently because it’s under cover. Robert

Good find Robert,thats taken where the other two were i found a while back. :wink:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Good find Robert,thats taken where the other two were i found a while back. :wink:

Yes, you’re right there Dean. Meanwhile, I’ve just found this on a Dutch site: it appears to be a page from a Dutch-language truck recognition book of the day. All the trucks on the other pages were contemporary with the NGC. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Yes, you’re right there Dean. Meanwhile, I’ve just found this on a Dutch site: it appears to be a page from a Dutch-language truck recognition book of the day. All the trucks on the other pages were contemporary with the NGC. Robert

Posted that one ages ago chap. Will give you a ring tomorrow.

Cant remember if i have popped this one on before.

From the 1974 motor show.

erf show.PNG

erf show1.PNG

DEANB:

I wonder how much these were Versa’s the LV or other Uk domestic model,

ERF really missed the boat with this one as it was a serious contender to the Scania and Volvo.

Ken b

DEANB:

Touche! :laughing: That’s from a Peter Davies article in Classic & Vintage Commercial, June '09, which Moomooland thoughtfully posted on the Paul Gee thread and which I reposted on here! Here’s the link:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83810&start=4140

Robert

Kenb:

DEANB:

I wonder how much these were Versa’s the LV or other Uk domestic model,

ERF really missed the boat with this one as it was a serious contender to the Scania and Volvo.

Ken b

Nothing in the domestic stable really compared with them so that’s difficult to assess. The LV, SP and MW cabbed RHD units were basic 32-tonners and were not Euro-spec. Only the MWs were sleepers until the Jennings converted SP (B-series) came along and eventually the higher cab version of the SP. The full B-series Euro cab with LHD replaced the 7MW-cabbed NGC, only overlapping it by just under a year IIRC. The exception was the LHD 5MW-cabbed unit which was Euro-spec but had a fixed cab and was rather more basic. You’re right: it should have been a winner! Plenty about that in the forthcoming Book 3 in August. Robert

I wonder if there is a list, somewhere in the archives, of which companies took NGC ERF demonstrators (that is, if the list didn’t go in a skip 40 years ago!). That would tell us how many demonstrators there were and who tried them out. Multiply that info by the number of countries that operated demonstrators and we would have quite some insight into the situation at the time. Just a thought. Robert

Van Steenbergen purchased two demonstrators, a NGC and a B, followed in the same order
with an extra chassis, hence the 3x two NGC and 1x two B. Thibaut purchased also two of
the demonstrator’s fleet, a 5MW tractor and a 7MW drawbar (after it has landed in NL).

ERF-Continental:
Van Steenbergen purchased two demonstrators, a NGC and a B, followed in the same order
with an extra chassis, hence the 3x two NGC and 1x two B. Thibaut purchased also two of
the demonstrator’s fleet, a 5MW tractor and a 7MW drawbar (after it has landed in NL).

You may be confusing demonstrators with exhibits. This is a grey area. Some of the ERF NGCs prepared for exhibition were purchased directly from the exhibitor’s stand so they were never used as ‘demo’ vehicles because they never had the chance to be - some of the Dutch and Belgian examples fall into this category. The real demo units spent time with hauliers undergoing appraisal in service. These are two different categories. We do know for fact that JLG 35N, KDM 460N and JDF 132N were all used as ERF demonstrators. But did any of the exhibits at commercial vehicle shows later become demo units? We don’t know the whole story. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

You may be confusing demonstrators with exhibits. This is a grey area. Some of the ERF NGCs prepared for exhibition were purchased directly so they were never used as ‘demo’ vehicles because they never had the chance to be. The real demo units spent time with hauliers undergoing appraisal. These are two different categories. To be honest, I’ve never tried to split these two groups into separate categories because there is not enough evidence out there to support it: ie we simply don’t know about the lives these vehicles led before being bought. For example, we do know for fact that JLG 35N, KDM 460N and JDF 132N were all used as ERF demonstrators. But did any of the exhibits at commercial vehicle shows later become demo units? Some of them were bought direct from the exhibition stand. We don’t know the whole story. Robert

Trans Arabia’s fleet 107 was a demo that was written off and rebuild - the power steering was never right,
Constantly changing power steered pumps and front tyres!!

Ken b

Kenb:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

You may be confusing demonstrators with exhibits. This is a grey area. Some of the ERF NGCs prepared for exhibition were purchased directly so they were never used as ‘demo’ vehicles because they never had the chance to be. The real demo units spent time with hauliers undergoing appraisal. These are two different categories. To be honest, I’ve never tried to split these two groups into separate categories because there is not enough evidence out there to support it: ie we simply don’t know about the lives these vehicles led before being bought. For example, we do know for fact that JLG 35N, KDM 460N and JDF 132N were all used as ERF demonstrators. But did any of the exhibits at commercial vehicle shows later become demo units? Some of them were bought direct from the exhibition stand. We don’t know the whole story. Robert

Trans Arabia’s fleet 107 was a demo that was written off and rebuild - the power steering was never right,
Constantly changing power steered pumps and front tyres!!

Ken b

Ah yes! I’d forgotten about that one - crashed on the way to a show or something like that. The incident is mentioned in one of the books. Trouble is, with nearly a year’s delay in publication, I’m forgetting what’s in Book 3 and what isn’t! I’m sure I put a list of them on this thread a few months ago. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
Ah yes! I’d forgotten about that one - crashed on the way to a show or something like that. The incident is mentioned in one of the books. Trouble is, with nearly a year’s delay in publication, I’m forgetting what’s in Book 3 and what isn’t! I’m sure I put a list of them on this thread a few months ago. Robert

I know what you mean ! :laughing: :laughing:

Dont think i have popped this one on before. :unamused:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert
We will have to arrange for you to go on Mastermind - doe island subject: ERF/NGC/European

No conferring

Ken b

Kenb:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Robert
We will have to arrange for you to go on Mastermind - doe island subject: ERF/NGC/European

No conferring

Ken b

:laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:

Kenb:

Ken b

Nothing in the domestic stable really compared with them so that’s difficult to assess. The LV, SP and MW cabbed RHD units were basic 32-tonners and were not Euro-spec. Only the MWs were sleepers until the Jennings converted SP (B-series) came along and eventually the higher cab version of the SP. The full B-series Euro cab with LHD replaced the 7MW-cabbed NGC, only overlapping it by just under a year IIRC. The exception was the LHD 5MW-cabbed unit which was Euro-spec but had a fixed cab and was rather more basic. You’re right: it should have been a winner! Plenty about that in the forthcoming Book 3 in August. Robert

Realistically it was a bit heavy and the wrong gearing and the relatively big power small cam ■■■■■■■ a bit too thirsty,for general domestic use.It all might have been a bit different given 65 mph at 1,800 rpm gearing,big cam E290 engine and UK alignment with 38t + Euro weight regime to match the Euro rhetoric.

It was only ever going to make a good heavy hauler here and then hampered by the 4 x 2 standard spec.

On that note how big a seller was the E290 powered B series here by comparison especially after the move to 38t ?.I’d guess that would be the benchmark to go by as to the potential of the NGC.Given the right circumstances in available spec,including the right engine/gearing combination and a more weight friendly regime to finally make backward looking operators make the jump into the late 20th century.

Personally as you know I think the B series investment was a waste of money including not buying the excuse that ERF needed the in house B series cab.Resulting in a retrograde product in that regard v the all metal cab opposition.As opposed to just soldiering on with the NGC and allowing the domestic market to gradually adjust to it during the following years.Possibly including the axing of all the obsolete LV and MV type designs and crucially all product support for them.Thereby providing both rationalisation and with it economies of scale and a sales policy of we’re moving on take it or leave it.