ERF 'European' (1975)

pete smith:
N.M.P
Robert, is this on a test or race track?

Hello Pete! I think this pic was taken at Oulten Park where John Simmons was rallying his oldies some years ago. Here’s another shot taken at the same time. Cheers, Robert

3316085308_1a1301c0f7_z.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

pete smith:
N.M.P
Robert, is this on a test or race track?

Hello Pete! I think this pic was taken at Oulten Park where John Simmons was rallying his oldies some years ago. Here’s another shot taken at the same time. Cheers, Robert

Thanks for the info Robert, it looked a strange environment! pic was from ebay.

As promised, here is the article from last month’s Classic Truck showing the NGC (or ‘NGX’ as the writer calls it!!) in its true colours as a worthy long-hauler. Enjoy! Robert

1741220e4747d7e88ad7e6566a5f1bf7.jpg
I’m sure you’ll know all about this pair Robert, down to the drivers middle names, but decent pic I feel. Cheers Paul

coomsey:
I’m sure you’ll know all about this pair Robert, down to the drivers middle names, but decent pic I feel. Cheers Paul

Nice one Coomsey! Yes, these two were new to Rien De Vos of Goudswaard near Rotterdam in 1976. The one on the left was trouble-free for the first 440,000 kms. I think the driver’s middle name was Eric but I wouldn’t swear to it :wink: . Cheers! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

coomsey:

Nice one Coomsey! Yes, these two were new to Rien De Vos of Goudswaard near Rotterdam in 1976. The one on the left was trouble-free for the first 440,000 kms. I think the driver’s middle name was Eric but I wouldn’t swear to it :wink: . Cheers! Robert

:smiley: :smiley:

New pic of the Raynor one. Hopefully more info to follow on this one.

erf raynor1.PNG

DEANB:
New pic of the Raynor one. Hopefully more info to follow on this one.

Good NEW pic of the ex-Shamara 6x4 conversion :sunglasses: . Robert

Patrick has just put this photo on the heavy haulage thread.

jshepguis:
Patrick has just put this photo on the heavy haulage thread.

Well spotted sir :sunglasses: ! Sadly, what appears to be an ERF NGC on the left is, in fact, an American truck - a 6x4 Pacific that was re-cabbed with an ERF 7MW (or possibly an 8MW) Motor Panels cab. The picture shows it in the livery of Sitca of Lille but it originally belonged to Loste of Lille and it was they who had it recabbed. As Loste had two genuine 4x2 ERF NGC units I have a sneaky suspicion that the cab may have come from one of them. Keep your eyes peeled for more! Cheers, Robert

NEWS

Good morning!

How’s this for timing? It was six years ago today that I embarked on my NGC project, little thinking that it would take me much beyond a minor personal investigation into this model. By sheer coincidence, my publisher today acknowledged receipt of Lorries of Arabia Book 3.
Many followers of this thread have kindly provided me with material, information, leads and pictures for Book 3 both online and behind the scenes. This book has been a couple of years in the making now so you may have been wondering if it was ever going to happen. The good news is that it is now at the publishers, all signed and sealed and awaiting the slow processes of getting it from manuscript to book. Many thanks for your patience!

Cheers, Robert :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:
NEWS

Good morning!

How’s this for timing? It was six years ago today that I embarked on my NGC project, little thinking that it would take me much beyond a minor personal investigation into this model. By sheer coincidence, my publisher today acknowledged receipt of Lorries of Arabia Book 3.
Many followers of this thread have kindly provided me with material, information, leads and pictures for Book 3 both online and behind the scenes. This book has been a couple of years in the making now so you may have been wondering if it was ever going to happen. The good news is that it is now at the publishers, all signed and sealed and awaiting the slow processes of getting it from manuscript to book. Many thanks for your patience!

Good news chap, how long does it normally take before its on the shelves ■■

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
NEWS

Good morning!

Good news chap, how long does it normally take before its on the shelves ■■

Six months to a year, depending on circumstances Dean. I would have liked to see it out for the Gaydon Retro Show in Autumn, but it’ll more like Christmas if I’m realistic. We can put any new stuff on here to keep the interest going. And as you know, there’ll be new stuff in the book, especially pictures, that have never been seen on this thread to look forward to! Robert

Re post above ^^^; I have just received confirmation that it is hoped that it’ll be out by Xmas :wink: . Robert

Popped down the Hollies on Sunday and look what gets left on your drive!

IMG_20180513_131850.jpg

pete smith:
Popped down the Hollies on Sunday and look what gets left on your drive!

Nice one Pete! I’d hoped to be at the Hollies for the road run for Vince Cooke but was waylaid. Cheers, Robert

hi Robert,this was posted on Facebook yesterday,regards Alan F

revman:
0 hi Robert,this was posted on Facebook yesterday,regards Alan F

Cheers Alan! I think the pic was taken by Leo Mes. It was operated by Cees Willemstein of Barendrecht in the livery of Goodkoop de Geus till about 1981; it then passed to De Regt of Nieuwerkerk in the livery of Nabek till 1982; after which it passed to Vermeulen of Nieuwerkerk in whose colours you see it in the picture. Robert

Just going through my folders of pics for each NGC unit, I made a tally of the distribution of trailer types hauled by these ERFs. Obviously it is only a rough guide based only on photographs, but a clear pattern emerged showing that the vast majority of traffic involved tilt and container trailers. The proliferation of dramatic heavy haulage pictures may lull us into thinking more NGCs were involved in this than is the case. The reading of low-loaders 07, tilts 33 is a surprise.

Tanks: 01
Racing-truck trailers: 01
Hospitality trailers: 01
Wreckers: 01
Tippers/bulkers: 02
Site tractors: 02
Pole/timber: 02
Curtainsiders: 02
Brick trailers: 03
Frigos: 04
Boxes: 04
Dropsides: 05
Low-loaders: 07
Flats: 20
Containers: 20
Tilts: 33

Robert

Found this reference to the NGC in an article about the F12. In my opinion they should have been
comparing it to the F89. The NGC was built from 73 to 78,and the F12 only came out in 1977. :confused:

erf pulling power.PNG