ERF 'European' (1975)

I’ve been looking at the tread-plate (chequer-plate) on NGC units. It seems that the customer could request this in three places:

on the step for accessing the windscreen
on the recessed door steps
on the door sills

Some units have no plate at all, some have it in one, two or all of these locations.

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Happy birthday Robert ! :wink:

A new pic.

Thanks Dean!

Not a new pic though. Here is the same thing from the other side. I reckon they’re the five that went to Falcon Freight in Dubai.

Plus another ‘peeping’ NGC taken at ERF. Cheers,

Robert

Are you sure i dont recall seeing that pic before ■■

This is another one of those pics that an estate agent would advertise a property with sea
glimpses ! If you look close there’s a European cab past the smaller cabs at the end of the
yard ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

erf b series 1975.PNG

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Happy birthday Robert ! :wink:

A new pic.

Thanks Dean!

Not a new pic though. Here is the same thing from the other side. I reckon they’re the five that went to Falcon Freight in Dubai.

Plus another ‘peeping’ NGC taken at ERF. Cheers,

Robert

Are you sure i dont recall seeing that pic before ■■

This is another one of those pics that an estate agent would advertise a property with sea
glimpses ! If you look close there’s a European cab past the smaller cabs at the end of the
yard ! :unamused: :laughing: :wink:

Yes, I’m quite sure: it’s on this thread somewhere. I already have both pics with the B-series rigid in the foreground on file with a note to say they were taken at ERF in 1975. Can’t remember who posted themd - might even have been me!

As for your latest pic with an assortment of 5MW and 7MW cabs in the background; yes that IS a new pic! Thanks for finding it. :sunglasses:

Have a good week. Robert

This morning I gathered together all the images we have (I say ‘we’ because they’re all on this thread) of NGCs languishing in ERF’s premises at Sandbach. I have not included the dozens of images of the prototype NGC in its factory Rocket Red with white roof. The rest all seem to be in that creamy off-white colour. I’d always assumed that they were all destined for Falcon Freight in Dubai and Jeddah, as the only picture we have of the Dubai batch are similarly painted. However, it occurs to me that this was probably the primer ERF used before adding the Rocket Red or the customer’s own livery. What do you think? John3300, you worked on the cabs - can you remember? Robert

There’s an interesting and very useful article on Motor Panels cabs in March Truck & Driver which answers a couple of questions. When I can be sure that the current issue is off the shelves I’ll scan it an post it here with my thoughts on the subject. Watch this space :wink: . Robert

I have enough material now to submit Lorries of Arabia: ERF NGC Part 3 for publication. The ‘landscape’ of publishing is changing rapidly with the times and I am becoming wary of further delay; indeed, I have no way of knowing that a Part 3 will even be accepted. If anyone has any further information, photos or promotional material that could be included in this book ‘speak now or forever hold thy peace’, as they say in the marriage ceremony! I want to get this last show on the road while it’s still viable. If that is a success, I can of course, continue to keep the quest for NGC information and evidence going on this thread, and in articles in REVS International magazine. Be sure that one way or another I’ll see that Part 3 is published by someone! Thanks to all who have given this project so much support. Robert

Good morning Robert,
I put this picture on another thread before and looking now at the “European” on your thread makes me wonder if you may know the African manufacturers of this highbread. Harvey

ERF-NGC-European:
I have enough material now to submit Lorries of Arabia: ERF NGC Part 3 for publication. The ‘landscape’ of publishing is changing rapidly with the times and I am becoming wary of further delay; indeed, I have no way of knowing that a Part 3 will even be accepted. If anyone has any further information, photos or promotional material that could be included in this book ‘speak now or forever hold thy peace’, as they say in the marriage ceremony! I want to get this last show on the road while it’s still viable. If that is a success, I can of course, continue to keep the quest for NGC information and evidence going on this thread, and in articles in REVS International magazine. Be sure that one way or another I’ll see that Part 3 is published by someone! Thanks to all who have given this project so much support. Robert

Its your book chap, however its a bit early for me as i have alot of stuff going on with contacts etc and
waiting for information. Someone i was talking to yesterday is in contact with the old managing director
of ERF when they finished. He worked his whole life there and started in his 20’s so i am hoping he may
be able to give us more information. :wink:

HRS:
Good morning Robert,
I put this picture on another thread before and looking now at the “European” on your thread makes me wonder if you may know the African manufacturers of this highbread. Harvey

Yes it is South African, but it is no direct relation to the NGC. It has a locally-built cab by Santini. The engine could be Gardner or ■■■■■■■ (I think the local Atlanta engines came a bit later). Robert

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Its your book chap, however its a bit early for me as i have alot of stuff going on with contacts etc and
waiting for information. Someone i was talking to yesterday is in contact with the old managing director
of ERF when they finished. He worked his whole life there and started in his 20’s so i am hoping he may

That sounds very good. There’s no panic with this. Books take about a year to arrive on the shelves and (in the early stages, at least) it is possible to add the odd detail and picture. All I’m doing is making preliminary enquiries. Who knows, I even be asked to delay it further! Robert :smiley:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

That sounds very good. There’s no panic with this. Books take about a year to arrive on the shelves and (in the early stages, at least) it is possible to add the odd detail and picture. All I’m doing is making preliminary enquiries. Who knows, I even be asked to delay it further! Robert :smiley:

Sent you a email chap ! :wink:

I’ve heard from two reliable sources that Eric Vick had their NTC 335 engines in the two NGCs down-rated a bit to improve fuel-consumption which is surprising, given that they carried belly-tanks under the trailers to load up with dirt-cheap fuel in the Middle East. Nonetheless, this might go a little way towards explaining why both these units were so reliable! One of the drivers, who verified this information for me, said ‘Don’t be fooled by that news: these NGCs pulled like trains!', and reminded me of the occasion he’d towed a stricken artic over the mountains in Turkey quicker than everything else on the road. :sunglasses: Robert

Number 15 on the register. The white ERF seen running around the outskirts of Paris in 1974.

The correct number plate is 7681 RR 91 not 7601RR91.

newerf.PNG

The old Cauvas NGC had a fair old load when pulling the Poclain 1000 excavator. Apparently they weighed
upto 190 tons. Although the arm and shovel are not attached i imagine that was well over 100 tons.

Also like the NGC there are only two Poclain 1000’s known to survive in the world.

newerf847.PNG

newerfcauvas poclain 1000.PNG.jpg

DEANB:
Number 15 on the register. The white ERF seen running around the outskirts of Paris in 1974.

The correct number plate is 7681 RR 91 not 7601RR91.

Your French contacts do you proud! Many thanks for refining the information on this particular unit Dean; and thank you for this clearer picture. I have ammended my records accordingly. Robert :sunglasses:

DEANB:
The old Cauvas NGC had a fair old load when pulling the Poclain 1000 excavator. Apparently they weighed
upto 190 tons. Although the arm and shovel are not attached i imagine that was well over 100 tons.

Also like the NGC there are only two Poclain 1000’s known to survive in the world.

Thank you for additional info on this one old mate - and thank you for all the additional info behind the scenes :wink: Robert

Can we think again about the Motor Panels Mk 4 cab, designated 7MW by ERF. The big visual difference (from the Mack and Scammell versions) is that odd protruding grille assembly stuck on the front. The more I look at it, the more I recognise its harmony with the very attractively designed cab. That ERF 7MW grille was almost imperceptibly bowed outwards at the top and sides. This was clearly echoed by the inner uprights of the grille, which followed its curved contours and were parallel. This means that the cross-slats must have been of very slightly different lengths.

Furthermore, the whole of the protruding grille assembly was bevelled inwards top and sides to produce a slight snout. Photos show how the sides of the protruding grille are angled slightly inwards so that even head on you can see those sides. I think the front area of the whole grille is narrower than the cab. It shows up on ERF’s diagrammatic plan too. Robert

Following on from the above post is seems timely to reveal the latest on Motor Panels cabs with direct reference to the NGC 7MW.

You may remember that back in summer I compared two pieces by well-known transport writers, one claiming the 7MW to be a Motor Panels Mk 3 cab and the other a Mk 4. In the end I was more convinced that it was definitely a Mk 4, as described in my books. Here’s the link to that page on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=83810&start=4020

Happily, in the March issue of Truck & Driver magazine there is a useful and informative article by Richard Stanier showing that it was indeed a Mk 4.
The only little detail I would dispute is the claim that the NGC came out in 1974. As we know it came out in January 1973. However, the rather good photo of it in the article does show it at Earls Court in 1974 so that may be where the confusion lay. Now that the Apr issue is on the shelves, here is a scan of the article.

By the way, I think I’ve worked out why the earlier writer confused the Mk 3 and 4 cabs: the 7MW was the type 3 version of the Mk 4 (see the old Motor Panels brochure posted earlier on this thread).

Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

Can we think again about the Motor Panels Mk 4 cab, designated 7MW by ERF. The big visual difference (from the Mack and Scammell versions) is that odd protruding grille assembly stuck on the front. The more I look at it, the more I recognise its harmony with the very attractively designed cab. That ERF 7MW grille was almost imperceptibly bowed outwards at the top and sides. This was clearly echoed by the inner uprights of the grille, which followed its curved contours and were parallel. This means that the cross-slats must have been of very slightly different lengths.

Furthermore, the whole of the protruding grille assembly was bevelled inwards top and sides to produce a slight snout. Photos show how the sides of the protruding grille are angled slightly inwards so that even head on you can see those sides. I think the front area of the whole grille is narrower than the cab. It shows up on ERF’s diagrammatic plan too. Robert

‘zb Anorak’! Help me out here! You have a clever grasp of lorry cab design and an artistic eye for subtley of design. Is there more curvilnear tracery here than has hithero been recognised! robert

Might be worth popping that motor panels brochure on chap ? I cant find it. :unamused: