ERF 'European' (1975)

A pre-Xmas bulletin on the model front and what astonishing stuff! I love that bumper and the ■■■■■■■ badge is a really clincher. How Ashley got that pin-striping round the hinges beats me! The treadplate on the step is another fantastic detail. The decals are going on soon so watch this space. :sunglasses: Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
A pre-Xmas bulletin on the model front and what astonishing stuff! I love that bumper and the ■■■■■■■ badge is a really clincher. How Ashley got that pin-striping round the hinges beats me! The treadplate on the step is another fantastic detail. The decals are going on soon so watch this space. :sunglasses: Robert

Hey Robert nice done the ERF, and a merry christmis and happy new year 2018.

Eric,

tiptop495:

ERF-NGC-European:

Hey Robert nice done the ERF, and a merry christmis and happy new year 2018.

Eric,

And a very merry and peaceful Christmas to you Eric! Robert :smiley:

At last! Ashley has finished the unit and is now turning his attentions to the tilt trailer. These pictures are stunning: notice details like the pipes coming out of the back off the Kysor A/C, the air-connector under the bumper (for recovery), the areal on the roof, and the snow-chains on the rear! Robert :sunglasses:

…genius! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
A new pic of Cauvas ERF sent to me today,which i think is a new one ?

Do you know what the “D” stands for Robert ■■? maybe something to do with heavy haulage ■■?

No Dean, I’ve no idea what the ‘D’ stands for, but I’ll bet it does have something to do with heavy haulage so perhaps Patrick can help us with that one! Robert :wink:

The D is for over dimensional, they abbreviate it to D. It’s in use in Canada, obligatory in Quebec, d’accord, but the standard Oversize Load sign is also allowed in the rest of Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

ERF-NGC-European:
At last! Ashley has finished the unit and is now turning his attentions to the tilt trailer. These pictures are stunning: notice details like the pipes coming out of the back off the Kysor A/C, the air-connector under the bumper (for recovery), the areal on the roof, and the snow-chains on the rear! Robert :sunglasses:

You have made a cracking job of that Ashley !!! :laughing: :laughing: I reckon i may have to put a bid in for
that model !!! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

newmercman:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
A new pic of Cauvas ERF sent to me today,which i think is a new one ?

Do you know what the “D” stands for Robert ■■? maybe something to do with heavy haulage ■■?

No Dean, I’ve no idea what the ‘D’ stands for, but I’ll bet it does have something to do with heavy haulage so perhaps Patrick can help us with that one! Robert :wink:

The D is for over dimensional, they abbreviate it to D. It’s in use in Canada, obligatory in Quebec, d’accord, but the standard Oversize Load sign is also allowed in the rest of Canada.

Thanks for clearing that up NMM! Robert

Glad to help, I’m afraid my search for more info on the possibility of another GL Baker (ex Braddicks) NGC has so far been unsuccessful. That’s not to say it’s a no, but it hasn’t been a yes either. No news is good news I hope. My man did come up with the photo and the history of the 240 Gardner Big J, which ran alongside the Braddicks lorries on the M&S European contract prior to GL Baker buying them out, so he’s been a good source so far, hopefully the best is yet to come.

The model is coming along nicely, I’ve been following its progress on the modelling groups on Facebook, the amount of detail Ashley puts into his models is in another league, the interior detail is outstanding, I’m convinced Ashley is himself a 1/24 scale teeny tiny person, it’s the only way he could make some of the intricate details he puts into his models.

newmercman:
Glad to help, I’m afraid my search for more info on the possibility of another GL Baker (ex Braddicks) NGC has so far been unsuccessful. That’s not to say it’s a no, but it hasn’t been a yes either. No news is good news I hope. My man did come up with the photo and the history of the 240 Gardner Big J, which ran alongside the Braddicks lorries on the M&S European contract prior to GL Baker buying them out, so he’s been a good source so far, hopefully the best is yet to come.

The model is coming along nicely, I’ve been following its progress on the modelling groups on Facebook, the amount of detail Ashley puts into his models is in another league, the interior detail is outstanding, I’m convinced Ashley is himself a 1/24 scale teeny tiny person, it’s the only way he could make some of the intricate details he puts into his models.

Glad to hear the pot is still on stove re the Baker NGC - thank you! You’re right about Ashley probably being in 1:24 scale when no one’s looking - the ERF badge on the steering boss is only just visible to the naked eye! Cheers, Robert

For what it’s worth, here’s my humble opinion about why the title ‘European’ wasn’t very clear when applied to early ERFs and why the name was discontinued when the NGC ceased production in 1977.

The NGC was always called the ‘European’ by ERF and by drivers. However, both the LHD 5MW-cabbed units and early B-series were also occasionally referred to as ‘Europeans’ in some brochures and articles of the early 1970s. It is my belief that ERF only intended this to apply to those LHD units that were specifically prepared to European specification, meeting EEC requirements. For example, a LHD 5MW supplied to a UK operator for international work would not necessarily be a Euro-spec version or even an export version so it would not, technically, be a ‘European’. Besides, ERF was producing LHD versions for countries in the Middle East and Far East that didn’t need to meet those European requirements.

The NGC differed from all other ERF models in that it was only ever produced as a fully Europeanised lorry. As Britain entered the EEC in the mid-1970s, the need to distinguish between domestic and Euro-spec lorries became redundant because the UK was by then subject to EEC rules anyway. This would explain why the new full-sized LHD sleeper-cabbed B-series wasn’t dubbed a ‘European’ when it came out in 1976. It would also explain why ERF didn’t later use this title for its subsequent LHD E-series and EC-series ranges.

Robert

Someone’s just bumped up the ‘best British long-haul truck’ thread and I’ve just found half-way down page 3 a comment by ‘Saviem’ John that I spent ages looking for to no avail some time back! It’s still an interesting observation. Here’s the link. Robert

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=108189&start=60

Nice new pic of Cauvas.

newerf847a.PNG

DEANB:
Nice new pic of Cauvas.

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Robert,

Nothing definate,but i have a feeling about this.

Remember the two draw-bar NGC’s that Alberto spotted at Ventimiglia.As we know although
Alberto did not manage to take any photos of them he is a reliable source due to the other photos
he has taken of NGC’s.

I could be “wrong” but i am wondering if they belonged to Meffre & Patalacci that operated number
66 on the register. 785 AHD 75.

After speaking to Patalacci last year,he confirmed that he did operate the above NGC. He also confirmed
that Meffre had passed away so we cannot contact him for any information.

Now whilst looking on a foreign site i came across the following photo below of a fine looking Volvo.

erfvolvo1.PNG

Its unbelievable what little snippets one can find,and what makes me think there is a possibility that
Meffre & Patalacci may have operated the two draw-bars is the message attached to the Volvo photo.

I used google translate and this is what it says ! Click on it once to read.

Now Meffre had one doing Italy ■■ Could be a completely different Meffre but i think this could well
be the same company as we know they were already operating one in artic mode as per the pic above.
Patalacci also confirmed in his message to me last year that the artic was used on trips to Italy.

At the momment we do not know how many vehicles Meffre & Patalacci actually operated. I assumed
one each,but they could have had a fleet of 10 or 20 different trucks for all we know ?
Therefore there is a possibility that the two NGC draw-bars were owned by them !

I also came across this photo of a Meffre Ford Transcontinental. Again i do not know if its the same Meffre
but certainly something to look into.

Further enquiries ongoing.

DEANB:
Robert,

Nothing definate,but i have a feeling about this.

Remember the two draw-bar NGC’s that Alberto spotted at Ventimiglia.As we know although
Alberto did not manage to take any photos of them he is a reliable source due to the other photos
he has taken of NGC’s.

I could be “wrong” but i am wondering if they belonged to Meffre & Patalacci that operated number
66 on the register. 785 AHD 75.

After speaking to Patalacci last year,he confirmed that he did operate the above NGC. He also confirmed
that Meffre had passed away so we cannot contact him for any information.

Now whilst looking on a foreign site i came across the following photo below of a fine looking Volvo.

Its unbelievable what little snippets one can find,and what makes me think there is a possibility that
Meffre & Patalacci may have operated the two draw-bars is the message attached to the Volvo photo.

I used google translate and this is what it says ! Click on it once to read.

Now Meffre had one doing Italy ■■ Could be a completely different Meffre but i think this could well
be the same company as we know they were already operating one in artic mode as per the pic above.
Patalacci also confirmed in his message to me last year that the artic was used on trips to Italy.

At the momment we do not know how many vehicles Meffre & Patalacci actually operated. I assumed
one each,but they could have had a fleet of 10 or 20 different trucks for all we know ?
Therefore there is a possibility that the two NGC draw-bars were owned by them !

I also came across this photo of a Meffre Ford Transcontinental. Again i do not know if its the same Meffre
but certainly something to look into.

Further enquiries ongoing.

Your theory looks very sound to me! Good detective work :sunglasses: . I wish you well with your quest! Robert

Robert you will recall the new ERF of Rien de Vos that was parked in one of there yards.
Found this pic that was taken in the same yard.

newerf891a.PNG

newerf891.PNG

A couple of things.

Have been told that the lady in the pic is Nelly Grocott. I assume the wife of the owner will
try and find out.

Found a new pic of what looks like a possible Camel one,what do you think Robert ■■?

newerf7mw desert1.PNG

DEANB:
A couple of things.

Have been told that the lady in the pic is Nelly Grocott. I assume the wife of the owner will
try and find out.

Found a new pic of what looks like a possible Camel one,what do you think Robert ■■?

First the ERF demo: yes, I spoke with Graham Beech and he confirms that (because I had jokingly asked if it was Mrs Thatcher! :laughing: ). The unit, as we know, passed to Beresford, thence to Trans Arabia.

Second, the CAMEL NGC: what a fantastic ‘find’ Dean :sunglasses: ! A really good image of it in the desert with a British overlander alongside - epic. I didn’t know Bromilow got down to Jeddah. You are right about it being one of the two (but possibly more) CAMEL NGCs. CAMEL stood for Cunard Arabian Middle East Lines and operated a lot of ERFs, mostly B-series, in the port unloading their ships and delivering across the Peninsula. If anyone recognises the picture or knows who took it please get in touch as it would be great pic to use in Book 3 :wink: . Thanks Dean. Robert

I reckon C.A.M.E.L. had more than two NGCs. I posted the article (below) from Motor Transport 7th July 1978, near the beginning of this thread. It gives a thorough account of Cunard’s subsidiary (CAMEL) in Jeddah and shows a picture of two NGCs. In the article it mentions ‘a number’ of steel cabbed export model ERFs but includes the B-series in the same breath, leaving an ambiguous impression of how many there were. To be fair, I’ve brought up this subject before.

Finding anything out about the CAMEL operation is very difficult. I once found a splendid history of Cunard in a 2nd-hand bookshop and reported on this thread that it mystified me that there was no mention of the CAMEL operation in it, or indeed any reference to Cunard shipping container movements in the '70s. Someone in the know posted a comment to the effect that the operation was a bit of a disaster and that Cunard was keen to make sure that no adverse publicity should besmirch its passenger liner reputation.

I have met a CAMEL driver, Ian Tyler, who drove their 6x4 LHD B-series units. I posted pics of those, provided by Ian, on the LHD B-series thread. He gave me a photo of a CAMEL NGC next to a B-series unit which I scanned posted on here ages ago - really nice bloke, by the way. Unfortunately he can’t remember how many NGCs they had.

If anyone knows how many NGCs they ran, speak now or forever hold thy peace!

To sum up: I reckon CAMEL had more than 2 NGCs! robert

img192.jpg
img194.jpg

PS. Just for the record, here is what I had to say on the subject on this thread on the 17th March 2015:

» Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:00 pm
Earlier in the thread, I posted an article about the operations in Jeddah of Cunard Arabian Middle East Lines (CAMEL). I pointed out that they ran 18 ERFs, all with 9-speed Fullers; that six of them were B-series 6x4s, that two of them were NGCs and that the rest were B-series 4x2s with day cabs and ■■■■■■■ NHC 250s in.

Today I learned that in addition to those ERFs, CAMEL had a number of GMCs. That got me reading the article again. The article doesn’t actually state that there were ‘only’ two ERF NGCs. I must have inferred that were two, simply because the picture only showed two of them. The text actually states: ‘Cross country working at 40 tonnes gvw or more calls for more power. Cunard operates a number of steel-cabbed ERF export-model tractors with ■■■■■■■ NTC 335…engines for such work.’

Of the 18 ERFs in their Jeddah depot, if six were B-series 6x4, then the other twelve were divided between the day-cabbed B-series and the NGCs. ‘A number of steel-cabbed ERF export-model tractors’ implies more than just the two I cited. There were clearly more. Robert