ERF 'European' (1975)

Do we know who actually took the picture of DB-77-52 being loaded with a container? Robert

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:
Clearly John Golding wasn’t ERF-averse, if this pic is anything to go by! Robert

Didn’t Golding had some yank stuff in his fleet as well?

Yes, it was mostly LHD Yank stuff. Robert

Cheers for confirming Robert, didn’t they operate some Kenworth’s at the time?

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:
Clearly John Golding wasn’t ERF-averse, if this pic is anything to go by! Robert

Yes Patrick! Here’s a link to a Kenworth/UK thread on here - the 1st page shows Golding Kenworths:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41082&start=0

Cheers, Robert

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:
Well the talk at Crewe seems to have been well-received! A few points arose from the talk because, as I hoped would happen, people found me afterwards to add details. I also made one or two new contacts. Here as some points to ponder.

1. Apparently, between Eric Vick and Trans Arabia, KFH 248P and KFH 249P were sold to Goldings Heavy Haulage of Wooten-Under-Edge. Whether they actually ran them or simply acted as dealers is not yet known.

2. Before Beeches garage sold JDH 132N to Beresford Transport, it was leased to Grocott – we know that because Graham Beech provided a picture which I put on here a while back. What I didn’t know was that Grocott did Middle East with it. Graham is hunting me out any more details.

3. There were four or five ex- NGC drivers there. I was able to have confirmed that the top speed was around 60 mph which fits in with my findings about the final drive ratio being used as a ‘limiter’ with a sensible margin for European running.

Meanwhile, others are keeping their eyes peeled for any more material.

Cheers, Robert

Some intresting bits and bobs there chap ! Golding heavy haulage is a turn up for the books ■■ I know someone who
has thousand of heavy haulage pics i will have a word with him.

Be intresting to see what Graham comes up with, and thats also another big surprise that Grocott did ME with it ■■

Some good stuff there chap !

Hi all,
I’m really enjoying this thread.I think? John Golding had a brother,Ken from memory? He was as far as I can remember a truck dealer? He may have ended up with that ERF as part of a deal.They were also a VOLVO truck dealer? I’m sure some early Welsh F88’s we painted were supplied by them.John Golding was a real and much missed name in Heavy haulage,he ran them all in his time.sorry if I’ve got all this wrong.
Regards Andrew.

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:

You disappoint me Patrick !! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I am sure i have posted some articles about Mr Goldings yankee stuff on your heavy haulage
thread ■■ I will find another one and pop on there this week.

New pic of Cauvas.

Re ^^^^; We may never discover the truth about its mysterious acquisition of a double-drive arse-end! :laughing: Robert

Picture by Richard Pountain. robert

Photo by Richard Pountain 1.jpg

You disappoint me Patrick !! :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

I am sure i have posted some articles about Mr Goldings yankee stuff on your heavy haulage
thread ■■ I will find another one and pop on there this week.
[/quote]
That’s old age kicking in I’m afraid Dean, you’ve posted so much good stuff on that particular thread, can’t deny that I’ve lost the plot now… :laughing: :laughing:

ERF-NGC-European:
Re ^^^^; We may never discover the truth about its mysterious acquisition of a double-drive arse-end! :laughing: Robert

Never mind that Robert, this is how the NGC should have looked from the start, proper double drive tractor unit, looking as it can take on every load! Mind you, it even comes close to a Crusader, something Dean will no doubt confirm :laughing: :laughing:

double post!

^^^^I agree it certainly looks the part! However, the reason there were no 6x4 NGCs is that there were already MDCs and MCCs - ie 6x4 ERFs with 5MW, 4MW or 6MW cabs :wink: And it doesn’t come even close to a Crusader: the ERF 7MW cab was well-appointed beyond Scammell’s wildest dreams with multiple refinements and comforts; and it tilted to 68 degrees. The Crusader cab didn’t even tilt! That is not to say that I wouldn’t have love to take a Crusader down the TIR-trail! Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
^^^^I agree it certainly looks the part! However, the reason there were no 6x4 NGCs is that there were already MDCs and MCCs - ie 6x4 ERFs with 5MW, 4MW or 6MW cabs :wink: And it doesn’t come even close to a Crusader: the ERF 7MW cab was well-appointed beyond Scammell’s wildest dreams with multiple refinements and comforts; and it tilted to 68 degrees.

Logically that provides the explanation as to why people were doing whatever it took to create hybrid 7 MW/NGC 6 x 4’s in whatever form. :bulb: :wink:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:
^^^^I agree it certainly looks the part! However, the reason there were no 6x4 NGCs is that there were already MDCs and MCCs - ie 6x4 ERFs with 5MW, 4MW or 6MW cabs :wink: And it doesn’t come even close to a Crusader: the ERF 7MW cab was well-appointed beyond Scammell’s wildest dreams with multiple refinements and comforts; and it tilted to 68 degrees.

Logically that provides the explanation as to why people were doing whatever it took to create hybrid 7 MW/NGC 6 x 4’s in whatever form. :bulb: :wink:

On the surface, that would appear to be the case but in practice personally I doubt it. Firstly, there were only four conversions. The Eyckmanns unit spent its life doing local stuff out of the woods and in any case the back end was grafted on after four years of labour as an after-thought. The Cauvas and Shamara units appear also to have received double-drive as an after-thought to qualify for heavy haulage work. Only in the case of the RHD unit at Pountain’s do I have a sneaking suspicion that ERF may have been experimenting with the idea that you suggest (IMHO!) because it would have been far easier to replace the 6MW with another 6MW rather than go to the trouble of changing a LHD cab over to RHD and then making it fit. Robert

ERF-NGC-European:
^^^^I agree it certainly looks the part! However, the reason there were no 6x4 NGCs is that there were already MDCs and MCCs - ie 6x4 ERFs with 5MW, 4MW or 6MW cabs :wink: And it doesn’t come even close to a Crusader: the ERF 7MW cab was well-appointed beyond Scammell’s wildest dreams with multiple refinements and comforts; and it tilted to 68 degrees. The Crusader cab didn’t even tilt! That is not to say that I wouldn’t have love to take a Crusader down the TIR-trail! Robert

Who needs a cab that can tilt if you’re driving a Crusader? Or driving comfort for that matter? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Table on the last page of the 1978 Euro-Test in Truck mag shows how the NGC fared against later premium tractors. Robert

There is very little mention on this thread of the Tony Jones of Sandbach component of VIJORE. Here are a couple of shots from the period, taken by Paul Gee and Mark Bailey. Robert

A01955.JPG
L0571p.JPG

ERF-NGC-European:
Table on the last page of the 1978 Euro-Test in Truck mag shows how the NGC fared against later premium tractors. Robert

Clearer copy of that page chap. :wink:

Click on it twice.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

Clearer copy of that page chap. :wink:

Click on it twice.

Thanks! :sunglasses: Robert

Browsing for marathon stuff and noticed these November 1974 truck magazine,apologies if they are not new. There was no info in the article on the European.