ERF 'European' (1975)

It helps enormously to have a decent translation, as posted above ^^; and the super-clear scans of the original make all the difference:

Kopie  van ERF article A&T 18-10-1974 part 2.jpg
Kopie  van ERF article A&T 18-10-1974 part 3.jpg
Kopie  van ERF article A&T 18-10-1974 part 4.jpg

Well, as we know from this thread, Holland’s ERF importer and dealer was Best Truck Import BV near Rotterdam. Thanks to Hans, I can put a little more flesh on this operation.

There were at least two Bestebreurtje brothers; P Bestebreurtje operating from Rijsoord and WT Bestebreurtje in Oud-Beijerland. They worked together in the '50s and '60s. Then in the '70s they became:

Auto Bestebreurtje BV (DAF dealer),
Rijksstraatweg 219,
Rijsoord;

and

Best Trucks Import BV (ERF importers),
Rembrandtstraat 4,
Oud-Beijerland.

Later, in about '84, they closed and formed a new company called Best Trucks. They moved to Barendrecht and opened three more workshops in Dordrecht, Europoort and Oude- Tonge.

The pictures below, from Hans, show the original premises along the dyke in Rijsoord.

Bestebreurtje DAF Rijsoord 01.jpg

Bestebreurtje DAF Rijsoord 03.jpg
Bestebreurtje DAF Rijsoord 04.jpg

Continuing new contributions from the previous page: here, courtesy of Hans, is a Dutch language version of Pat Kennett’s 1975 Euro Test from the 20/08/75 issue of Beroepsvervoer magazine. Interestingly, it uses a different set of pictures from TRUCK mag!

20-08-1975.jpg

^^^ :smiley:

Here, continuing the Best Truck Import theme; and again courtesy of Hans Witte, is the ERF NGC price list for August 1975. The image shows the original; and beneath it is full translation. Fascinating stuff - especially as I have no English price list info from Sanbach records :laughing: .

Best Truck

Price list August 4, 1975

NGC 420 series 270 – 335 SAE HP
Tractor 4 x 2 ƒ 95.000,00
Truck 4 x 2 ƒ 92.500,00

Basic spec:
Sleeper cab with curtains and one bed, sprayed in your colour, two Viking Bostrom seats, co-drivers’ seat with head- and armrests, radio-cassette player, fire extinguisher, coco mats, 2- line + 24 V including curling-hoses, automatic cooler fan, Jacobs engine brake, York Big D coupling, rear mudguards, tow hook in front bumper, and Luberfiner oil filter which enables an oil-change every 20.000 km’s.

Optionals at extra costs:

Central lubrication device from ƒ 2.000,00
Air dryer instead of anti-frost pot 750,00
Electric connection 12 = 24 V 175,00
Second bed 450,00
12.00 x 20 Michelin X 18 P.R. 950,00
Michelin XZA at front axle 250,00
Air horn 250,00
Toolbox from 250,00
Sun visor transparent 350,00
Laminated front screen 500,00
ML tectyl treatment 300,00

Hazardous Transport equipment: price at request.

All prices above are excluded VAT.

Comparison
Prices in Holland August 1975, for comparable 4x2 tractors with 2 bed sleeper cab.
Prices are theoretical, in practice the real prices were negotiated.

ERF NGC ƒ 95.450,00
DAF FT2800 DKS 95.750,00
Mercedes-Benz 1932 S (long sleeper cab) 102.950,00
Saviem SM340 90.500,00
Scania LB 140 S 101.650,00
Volvo F89 107.185,00

The programme below, supplied by Hans Witte, shows the planning of Holland’s ERF importer and dealer during the NGC period. It firmly reflects ERF’s pulling out of the Continental market in 1979, not to return until the European borders ‘melted’ in 1992.

ERF trucks in Holland
1974 - 1980
Best Trucks Import, Oud-Beijerland

Best Trucks Import starts import of ERF NGC ‘European’.
October 1974: first press- introduction in Auto & Transportwereld and test drive in Bedrijfsvervoer.

First advertisement found in Auto & Transportwereld, November 1, 1974.

Rai specs in Bedrijfsvervoer and Beroepsvervoer (Februari):
NGC 420 tractor 4x2 ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 F 87.500,00
NGC 420 truck 4x2 ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 90.000,00
Optional: ■■■■■■■ NTC 290 + Fuller 13 speed.

Multi Truck Test was held in May 1975 in cooperation with Truck (Pat Kennett) and published in Beroepsvervoer August 1975.

Test with Groenenboom tractor published in Bedrijfsvervoer September 1975.

Late 1975: start import ERF B- series.
40C2 TR tractor 4x2 ■■■■■■■ 250 HP Fuller 9 75.000,00 B-series
40C2 TR tractor 4x2 ■■■■■■■ 290 HP Fuller 13 85.000,00
Trucks / longer wheel base: + 2.500,00
Day cab only.

February 1976: introduction ERF B series to the public at the RAI exhibition.
NGC 420 tractor 4x2 ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 328 HP Fuller 9 87.500,00 European
NGC 420 truck 4x2 ■■■■■■■ NTC 335 328 HP Fuller 9 85.000,00 European
40C2 TR tractor 4x2 ■■■■■■■ NH 250 239 HP Fuller 9 – B- series
45 C3 TR tractor 6x4 ■■■■■■■ NTC 350 334 HP Fuller 9 – B- series
■■■■■■■ NTC 290 + Fuller 13 speed optional for NGC.
■■■■■■■ NTC 290E + Fuller 13 speed optional for 40 C2TR (B- series).
Sleeper cab (Jennings) optional for B- series.

Program unchanged (?).

NGC production was ceased, but Best could deliver quite a program with B-series:
40 C2TR 4x2 tractors and trucks / choice of ■■■■■■■ NH 250 and NHCE 290.
50 C3 TR 6x4 tractors and RD 6x4 trucks / ■■■■■■■ NTCE 250, NTCE 290 and NTCE 350.
Prices from F 77.500,00 – 135.000,00

Page 2 ▼

Program unchanged (?).

Only two chassis in the lists:
40C 2TR 4x2 ■■■■■■■ NH250 235 hp 89.000,00
40C 2TR ■■■■■■■ NTCE290 276 hp 97.750,00 with sleeper cab 107.500,00

ERF and Best Trucks are no more mentioned in the yearly RAI specification list from Bedrijfsvervoer and Beroepsvervoer.
Last ERF chassis and all spare parts moved to Bestebreurtje (DAF dealer) in Rijsoord.

Around 1984 – 1985 (?) Best Trucks moved to new premises in Barendrecht.

All prices in old Dutch Guilders, excl. VAT.

robert1952:
^^^ :smiley:

Here, continuing the Best Truck Import theme; and again courtesy of Hans Witte, is the ERF NGC price list for August 1975. The image shows the original; and beneath it is full translation. Fascinating stuff - especially as I have no English price list info from Sanbach records :laughing: .

Best Truck

Price list August 4, 1975

NGC 420 series 270 – 335 SAE HP
Tractor 4 x 2 ƒ 95.000,00
Truck 4 x 2 ƒ 92.500,00

Basic spec:
Sleeper cab with curtains and one bed, sprayed in your colour, two Viking Bostrom seats, co-drivers’ seat with head- and armrests, radio-cassette player, fire extinguisher, coco mats, 2- line + 24 V including curling-hoses, automatic cooler fan, Jacobs engine brake, York Big D coupling, rear mudguards, tow hook in front bumper, and Luberfiner oil filter which enables an oil-change every 20.000 km’s.

Optionals at extra costs:

Central lubrication device from ƒ 2.000,00
Air dryer instead of anti-frost pot 750,00
Electric connection 12 = 24 V 175,00
Second bed 450,00
12.00 x 20 Michelin X 18 P.R. 950,00
Michelin XZA at front axle 250,00
Air horn 250,00
Toolbox from 250,00
Sun visor transparent 350,00
Laminated front screen 500,00
ML tectyl treatment 300,00

Hazardous Transport equipment: price at request.

All prices above are excluded VAT.

Comparison
Prices in Holland August 1975, for comparable 4x2 tractors with 2 bed sleeper cab.
Prices are theoretical, in practice the real prices were negotiated.

ERF NGC ƒ 95.450,00
DAF FT2800 DKS 95.750,00
Mercedes-Benz 1932 S (long sleeper cab) 102.950,00
Saviem SM340 90.500,00
Scania LB 140 S 101.650,00
Volvo F89 107.185,00

I notice that among the optional extras, a transparent sun-visor is listed rather than the factory solid one. This has got me thinking about Dutch lorries of the period, most of which had plastic transparent visors. Was there legislation in Holland against the use of solid visors; or was it just the practical fact that unless the visors were transparent you hadn’t a cat in hell’s chance of seeing the traffic lights change because they were (are) set much higher up the poles than ours?

robert1952:

Can we clarify the difference between NTC 290 v 290 E and the type of 13 speed fuller in that ?.IE in usually accepted terminology E denotes big cam ■■■■■■■ ?.Which would match my memory of the big cam being introduced and available.As opposed to the usually accepted reports of that having taken place considerably later ?.

In which case sadly big cam 290 or even better 300 + with 13 speed RTO ( would have ) been the definitive NGC if only ERF had chosen to stay with it and not put all their eggs in the B series basket.Not to mention small cam NTA and 13 speed RTO before that. :frowning:

Carryfast:

robert1952:

Can we clarify the difference between NTC 290 v 290 E and the type of 13 speed fuller in that ?.IE in usually accepted terminology E denotes big cam ■■■■■■■ ?.Which would match my memory of the big cam being introduced and available.As opposed to the usually accepted reports of that having taken place considerably later ?.

In which case sadly big cam 290 or even better 300 + with 13 speed RTO ( would have ) been the definitive NGC if only ERF had chosen to stay with it and not put all their eggs in the B series basket.Not to mention small cam NTA and 13 speed RTO before that. :frowning:

This is covered earlier in this thread, I think. Firstly, at least two NGCs were fitted with big-cam 290s, one of which belonged to ■■■■■■■ itself on an N-plate. It would appear they were trialling it for future use. Secondly, the Euro-spec B-series (NL in particular) had big-cam 290s from the start along with Fuller RTO9513 boxes. The B-series in the 1980 Euro Test had an NTE 350 with a Fuller RT12513. If you look on the LHD ERF B-series thread there’s abundant info on this.

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

This is covered earlier in this thread, I think. Firstly, at least two NGCs were fitted with big-cam 290s.Secondly, the Euro-spec B-series (NL in particular) had big-cam 290s from the start along with Fuller RTO9513 boxes. The B-series in the 1980 Euro Test had an NTE 350 with a Fuller RT12513. If you look on the LHD ERF B-series thread there’s abundant info on this.

Thanks for that confirmation.Which seems to confirm that there ‘would’ have been no reason as to why ERF couldn’t have just took the NGC,rather than the B series,forward.Specced with big cam ■■■■■■■ and 13 speed RTO from around the mid 1970’s ?.In which case that would have been a very different truck with figures to match v the original road test versions and would arguably have been the better way forward for ERF providing an enormous advantage over the opposition of the day had they chosen it.

robert1952:

Hey thanks Robert, very welcomed information.

Eric,

tiptop495:

robert1952:

Hey thanks Robert, very welcomed information.

Eric,

You are most welcome mate! Hans will be pleased his efforts are well-received. Robert :smiley:

Carryfast:

ERF-NGC-European:

Carryfast:

This is covered earlier in this thread, I think. Firstly, at least two NGCs were fitted with big-cam 290s.Secondly, the Euro-spec B-series (NL in particular) had big-cam 290s from the start along with Fuller RTO9513 boxes. The B-series in the 1980 Euro Test had an NTE 350 with a Fuller RT12513. If you look on the LHD ERF B-series thread there’s abundant info on this.

Thanks for that confirmation.Which seems to confirm that there ‘would’ have been no reason as to why ERF couldn’t have just took the NGC,rather than the B series,forward.Specced with big cam ■■■■■■■ and 13 speed RTO from around the mid 1970’s ?.In which case that would have been a very different truck with figures to match v the original road test versions and would arguably have been the better way forward for ERF providing an enormous advantage over the opposition of the day had they chosen it.

Know where you’re coming from CF, but there were other factors. Firstly, they were testing the big-cam in the NGC, not marketing it. Secondly, IIRC, although the new Euro-spec higher-cabbed B-series hit the spec sheets in '76 I believe the actual units emerged in '77. Thirdly, ERF seemed determined to bring cab building in-house with the B-series, so outsourcing the (admittedly good) SA400 cab to Motor Panels would have landed them back where they started. You can bet the decision was an economics one.

I might be wrong as usual, but if I’m not mistaken that’s the Vermeulen NGC pictured on the right…?
Haven’t got a more clear shot of it, terribly sorry lads…

Cheers, Patrick

pv83:
I might be wrong as usual, but if I’m not mistaken that’s the Vermeulen NGC pictured on the right…?
Haven’t got a more clear shot of it, terribly sorry lads…

Cheers, Patrick

You are quite right: it was one of Vermeulen’s NGCs. Actually, it was posted on here a while back but I strongly commend your vigilance and sharp eye in spotting this one. This is a perfect example of why it is so important to look at what is in the background of transport photos. Very often the vehicles we are looking for lurk in the distance behind the main subject of the photo.

Transition. Robert
:smiley:

Here’s a rather dramatic shot of GEH 513N, taken by Dave Wallace, its driver at the time. And that appears to be a young Colin operating the throttle pedal with his hand there! Robert

robert1952:

DEANB:

robert1952:
Meanwhile, I have something meaningful to bring to the jolly old table! You may remember the pic Swiss NGC seen in Ipswich and the image of UGE in Harwich with a railway loco on the trailer. They were taken by truck photographer David Pilcher who occasionally writes for REVS International magazine. He recently sent me this new one, taken in Harwich docks. It shows Richard Read’s KFH 251P pulling an unmarked 'fridge trailer. We know KFH 250P (the sister unit) pulled a RR 'fridge trailer to Baghdad sometimes, so it’s likely that this one is on a similar mission. Enjoy! Robert

Nice to have a pic of one pulling a fridge trailer,cant think of another.

robert1952:
Re^^^above post: for the purposes of our quest for NGC knowledge, it is sufficient to know that the company was a ■■■■■■■ agent rather than a haulier.

Re my description of the short documentary film ‘ERF 1974’, I have had a look at the factory-livery NGC in the wind tunnel again. It appears to be the one I refer to as ‘the prototype’; ie the unit with no roof-vent or grille water-filler cap - the one we reckon became the Estra-Calor unit and later the breakdown wagon.

Robert

That was the one that seemed to appear on the brochures etc. Also just noticed that the early models never
had the 2 hand rails below the windscreen. Thats the first time i have noticed that ! Ones like Marcel Eyckmans,Phil Horridge,Thibaut plus various others.

Good observation, Dean: yes, the grab-handles appeared on the top of the grille in about early '75 - a fair amount of discussion of this back on the thread. As for the 'fridge: as I said in the post above, Richard Read did sent fridges down to Baghdad and there are pictures here on the thread and in the books of KFH 250P with a fridge in Richard Read livery (B & W photos only, I’m afraid!). Robert

There are colour pictures of NGCs pulling fridges in the 2nd book. There’s this one showing a Trans Arabia unaccompanied fridge shipped into Jeddah with Wall’s products for Unilever.

And then there’s this one taken by Chris Till in Harem TIR-park Istanbul. Both Eric Vick’s NGCs are visible with tilt trailers, along with a Richard Read NGC pulling their fridge trailer en route to Baghdad. Another Read NGC with a tilt can be seen. In the foreground I notice a Dodge with a tilt from Ticehurst, East Sussex. Also visible is an Oryx F89. And isn’t that a Dow Freight artic parked at the back? Robert

And then there’s this one taken by Chris Till in Harem TIR-park Istanbul. Both Eric Vick’s NGCs are visible with tilt trailers, along with a Richard Read NGC pulling their fridge trailer en route to Baghdad. Another Read NGC with a tilt can be seen. In the foreground I notice a Dodge with a tilt from Ticehurst, East Sussex. Also visible is an Oryx F89. And isn’t that a Dow Freight artic parked at the back? Robert

If you look there are actually 2 Oryx there. One with the companies own trailer and one with a blue rental. Though my memory is getting worse I think I was the one with the company trailer, and it was Butch Levet with the rental. And who was the hero with the non-sleeper Dodge?

David