ERF 'European' (1975)

Sorry about the spelling it should have said Northampton

I have lost my last posting must be my age what I meant to say was that vee and in line were ■■■■■■■ dealers and wereasy very good on the fuel injection side and I believe they were based in the Northampton area

cookie1:
I have lost my last posting must be my age what I meant to say was that vee and in line were ■■■■■■■ dealers and wereasy very good on the fuel injection side and I believe they were based in the Northampton area

It’s a little confusing. If they were ■■■■■■■ dealers it would make complete sense for ■■■■■■■ to hand HNV over to them for disposal. However, Mr Pountain said he bought it from the one in Daventry. However, if you look up the Daventry concern it is quite clear that they commenced business in 2012 and is a modern outfit on the Royal Oak industrial estate there. This was probably a ‘phoenix’ company that had more than one depot and re-started with the same name. No doubt someone’ll know. Robert

Re^^^above post: for the purposes of our quest for NGC knowledge, it is sufficient to know that the company was a ■■■■■■■ agent rather than a haulier.

Re my description of the short documentary film ‘ERF 1974’, I have had a look at the factory-livery NGC in the wind tunnel again. It appears to be the one I refer to as ‘the prototype’; ie the unit with no roof-vent or grille water-filler cap - the one we reckon became the Estra-Calor unit and later the breakdown wagon.

Robert

Somehow it’s so time-consuming to stand the way everything is judged here
by the (re-)tired headmaster and by no means it is strange that companies
like Vee & Inline Diesels (with a superb heritage) seem to be in a ‘new’ shop.

Don’t underestimate the strength of a global company as ■■■■■■■ when it
comes to their more than loyal distributors.

Please stop the questioning and judging as the total amount of pages could
have been restricted to about 1/3 with endless repeats of same subjects.

No hard feelings, enjoy your retirement but keep it vivid over here!!!

ERF-Continental:

You’re in a bad mood today. Been knocked back by the Tarmac Woman LOL?

ERF-Continental:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: What’s the matter - bored with Facebook? Laddered your stockings :sunglasses: ? You could always try bringing something meaningful to the table instead of nit-picking, criticising, sniping and continuing your five-year attack on the same poster of same thread instead of attacking (if you must) the post itself. Beats me why you still come on here :open_mouth: !

Oh, and by the way; I was brought up to be discerning: I was being discerning in my post - there was nothing in the least judicial about it. We should all be ‘questioning’ on here - that’s what makes this thread so good. Robert :laughing: :laughing:

Meanwhile, I have something meaningful to bring to the jolly old table! You may remember the pic Swiss NGC seen in Ipswich and the image of UGE in Harwich with a railway loco on the trailer. They were taken by truck photographer David Pilcher who occasionally writes for REVS International magazine. He recently sent me this new one, taken in Harwich docks. It shows Richard Read’s KFH 251P pulling an unmarked 'fridge trailer. We know KFH 250P (the sister unit) pulled a RR 'fridge trailer to Baghdad sometimes, so it’s likely that this one is on a similar mission. Enjoy! Robert

pic by David Pilcher KRH 251P.jpg

robert1952:
Meanwhile, I have something meaningful to bring to the jolly old table! You may remember the pic Swiss NGC seen in Ipswich and the image of UGE in Harwich with a railway loco on the trailer. They were taken by truck photographer David Pilcher who occasionally writes for REVS International magazine. He recently sent me this new one, taken in Harwich docks. It shows Richard Read’s KFH 251P pulling an unmarked 'fridge trailer. We know KFH 250P (the sister unit) pulled a RR 'fridge trailer to Baghdad sometimes, so it’s likely that this one is on a similar mission. Enjoy! Robert

Nice to have a pic of one pulling a fridge trailer,cant think of another.

robert1952:
Re^^^above post: for the purposes of our quest for NGC knowledge, it is sufficient to know that the company was a ■■■■■■■ agent rather than a haulier.

Re my description of the short documentary film ‘ERF 1974’, I have had a look at the factory-livery NGC in the wind tunnel again. It appears to be the one I refer to as ‘the prototype’; ie the unit with no roof-vent or grille water-filler cap - the one we reckon became the Estra-Calor unit and later the breakdown wagon.

Robert

That was the one that seemed to appear on the brochures etc. Also just noticed that the early models never
had the 2 hand rails below the windscreen. Thats the first time i have noticed that ! Ones like Marcel Eyckmans,Phil Horridge,Thibaut plus various others.

DEANB:

robert1952:

Nice to have a pic of one pulling a fridge trailer,cant think of another.

robert1952:

Robert

That was the one that seemed to appear on the brochures etc. Also just noticed that the early models never
had the 2 hand rails below the windscreen. Thats the first time i have noticed that ! Ones like Marcel Eyckmans,Phil Horridge,Thibaut plus various others.

Good observation, Dean: yes, the grab-handles appeared on the top of the grille in about early '75 - a fair amount of discussion of this back on the thread. As for the 'fridge: as I said in the post above, Richard Read did sent fridges down to Baghdad and there are pictures here on the thread and in the books of KFH 250P with a fridge in Richard Read livery (B & W photos only, I’m afraid!). Robert

[zb]
anorak:

ERF-Continental:

You’re in a bad mood today. Been knocked back by the Tarmac Woman LOL?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

robert1952:

dave docwra:
I wonder if the number plate on the Rolls Royce “ERF1” is still owned by a member of the Foden family, it is recorded as being displayed on a Bentley at the moment…

I’m surprised the chairman of REVS hasn’t bought it! Robert :laughing: :sunglasses:

Hiya Robert…mr Tim Foden has a Bentley he was a director at sun works… he owns a nursery called 4 seasons at Twemlow Green (come past yesterday) just out of Holmes chapel
i think its on his car…Mr Peter had EPF 10 for many years before he took ERF1…1ERF was on Ernie Sharretts Morris 1000 traveler when i worked at Sandbbach…
no idea where it is now…Mr Peter had his Aston nicked many years ago. Aston couldn’t fix it for many months so we did the repair at Jennings… the trimmers toof the headlining
out. (someone had jumped on the roof) some ERF lads took the chrome work off. i did the bodywork and basic filling. then the sprayshop took over… both Brian and Colin Sprayers)
had worked at Royces before coming to Jennings.they did the finnish work… it took about 5 weeks to put right knocks and digns everywhere…the aston was a DBS with a six cylinder one of the first i think… it was pale metallac blue… the number plates would be easy to get as RF is stoke on Trent area… Beeches in Stoke was main agents for ERF. it would be easy to request these numbers on a vehicle… Beeches had a lot of respect in the Stoke area many hauliers bought from them…

3300John:

robert1952:

dave docwra:
I wonder if the number plate on the Rolls Royce “ERF1” is still owned by a member of the Foden family, it is recorded as being displayed on a Bentley at the moment…

I’m surprised the chairman of REVS hasn’t bought it! Robert :laughing: :sunglasses:

Hiya Robert…mr Tim Foden has a Bentley he was a director at sun works… he owns a nursery called 4 seasons at Twemlow Green (come past yesterday) just out of Holmes chapel
i think its on his car…Mr Peter had EPF 10 for many years before he took ERF1…1ERF was on Ernie Sharretts Morris 1000 traveler when i worked at Sandbbach…
no idea where it is now…Mr Peter had his Aston nicked many years ago. Aston couldn’t fix it for many months so we did the repair at Jennings… the trimmers toof the headlining
out. (someone had jumped on the roof) some ERF lads took the chrome work off. i did the bodywork and basic filling. then the sprayshop took over… both Brian and Colin Sprayers)
had worked at Royces before coming to Jennings.they did the finnish work… it took about 5 weeks to put right knocks and digns everywhere…the aston was a DBS with a six cylinder one of the first i think… it was pale metallac blue… the number plates would be easy to get as RF is stoke on Trent area… Beeches in Stoke was main agents for ERF. it would be easy to request these numbers on a vehicle… Beeches had a lot of respect in the Stoke area many hauliers bought from them…

A fantastic bit of background history, John - thanks for that! :smiley: . Robert

ERF-Continental:
Vee & Inline Diesels Ltd. (Royal Oak, Daventry) were ■■■■■■■■ dealers for
automotive and construction.

SOURCE: ■■■■■■■■ dealer & service directory from 1979

This evening I received information/confirmation that Cauvas had two separate ERF’s in their
fleet being an ex-5MW cabbed 6x4 with an 7MW update and the (ex Deanb) 7MW 4x2 tractor
but that tractor was not active very long for some reason and sold or scrapped.

ERF-Continental:
This evening I received information/confirmation that Cauvas had two separate ERF’s in their
fleet being an ex-5MW cabbed 6x4 with an 7MW update and the (ex Deanb) 7MW 4x2 tractor
but that tractor was not active very long for some reason and sold or scrapped.

I can see no reason to disbelieve that the Hye tractor, which was a pure ERF 6x4 acquired a new 8MW cab after its accident. It is becoming likely that Cauvas ran two 6x4 ERFs - one an NGC and the other not and NGC. It would be useful to see a picture of the re-cabbed 6x4 5MW to get a registration number. Cauvas appears to have kept that 4x2 NGC long enough to add a Volvo double-drive bogie to it. The many pictures we have of it as it aged, would suggest that they kept it for some time. Robert

Here’s a bit of idle speculation for a Sunday afternoon. One possible factor mitigating against the success of the NGC in Europe was its use of an American driveline requiring imperial tooling for maintenance. Had ‘loose’ metric Continental engines such as the MAN 280 or the 14-litre Fiat been readily available, along with ZF gearboxes; and if ERF had fitted them to NGCs, one wonders if a lot more than 91 might have been sold. Robert

robert1952:

ERF-Continental:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: What’s the matter - bored with Facebook? Laddered your stockings :sunglasses: ? You could always try bringing something meaningful to the table instead of nit-picking, criticising, sniping and continuing your five-year attack on the same poster of same thread instead of attacking (if you must) the post itself. Beats me why you still come on here :open_mouth: !

Oh, and by the way; I was brought up to be discerning: I was being discerning in my post - there was nothing in the least judicial about it. We should all be ‘questioning’ on here - that’s what makes this thread so good. Robert :laughing: :laughing:

It’s not too late to get that popcorn out is it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

robert1952:
Here’s a bit of idle speculation for a Sunday afternoon. One possible factor mitigating against the success of the NGC in Europe was its use of an American driveline requiring imperial tooling for maintenance. Had ‘loose’ metric Continental engines such as the MAN 280 or the 14-litre Fiat been readily available, along with ZF gearboxes; and if ERF had fitted them to NGCs, one wonders if a lot more than 91 might have been sold. Robert

Bearing in mind that metric based vehicles and components were,and still are in the case of the US,exported successfully from Europe to Imperial based UK and US markets.The fact that Europe wasn’t prepared to reciprocate by just getting on with the difference in the same way that we did.Suggests that it was more a case of the difference being used as a poor excuse for hidden protectionism on the part of metric based markets.IE even the average home DIY mechanic here had/has a full set of both Imperial and Metric tools to cover both domestic or imports.Let alone anyone doing the job in a professional capacity.

On that note there is a thriving American classic car and even classic truck scene throughout Europe and especially Scandinavia.All of which will mean by necessity having a decent set of Imperial tools to maintain them. :bulb:

Carryfast:

robert1952:

Bearing in mind that metric based vehicles and components were,and still are in the case of the US,exported successfully from Europe to Imperial based UK and US markets.The fact that Europe wasn’t prepared to reciprocate by just getting on with the difference in the same way that we did.Suggests that it was more a case of the difference being used as a poor excuse for hidden protectionism on the part of metric based markets.IE even the average home DIY mechanic here had/has a full set of both Imperial and Metric tools to cover both domestic or imports.Let alone anyone doing the job in a professional capacity.

On that note there is a thriving American classic car and even classic truck scene throughout Europe and especially Scandinavia.All of which will mean by necessity having a decent set of Imperial tools to maintain them. :bulb:

Good points; added to which it’s easy to forget just how popular US hardware was in France and the Low Countries in the '70s and '80s. We can probably consign the ‘metric vs imperial’ argument as an excuse for the NGC’s demise to the bin then! :laughing: Robert