ERF E16

Retired Old ■■■■:
Some would claim that an 8-cyl Gardner went quite well when mounted in a Big J.

Think he’s gone to bed, but love the implication! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Can’t quite photoshop anything in his yard to satisfaction :frowning:

John

Thread revival :smiley:, Is there a Seddon-Atkinson hiding with a 6lyt in somewhere?

I had one in D355 GWX a 4 x 2 Foden it pulled well and never gave no problems , i wish i still had it.

G’day.
I took this photo many summers ago,it’s an E16? I don’t recal seeing this model before or again,did it have a Gardener straight eight motor? and if so how big?
Cheers Jamie

NZ JAMIE:
G’day.
I took this photo many summers ago,it’s an E16? I don’t recal seeing this model before or again,did it have a Gardner straight eight motor? and if so how big?
Cheers Jamie

No, it’s the all-metric big-banger, the 16 litre Gardner 6LYT. Not, initially, one of Patricroft’s finest.

240… tell us more as I’ve never come across that one… power?

I,m pretty sure they were 320bhp there was an article on the engine in TRUCK magazine in the mid 80,s.
Am I right in thinking they were only offered in a ERF ? I can,t recall one fitted to a FODEN.

Hi lads, they were offered at 320 and 350 in road-trim, and up to 420 in marine guise. It was offered in Foden,ERF and Seddon-Atkinson from 84 til 87 and it was fitted in Neoplan Coach’s amoungst other’s. It was a cracking lump which was light in weight, economical and had more torque than both the ■■■■■■■ 350 and Rolls 340, and had it not been for early reliability problems and a complete lack of funding from Gardner’s owners it probably would of gone a long way to saving the once great firm :frowning: :frowning: .
There was a Foden S106 on the preservation scene with one fitted, but i havent seen it since it was being advertised in the back of Vintage Commercial mag, i know there are a few on the Fairground’s (Carters have a S106 with a 6LYT and there’s an ex-Lowe of Paddockwood E16 that travels with Stevens fun fair) but the last one’s i saw working were from the firm W.F.L Transport from Lolworh Cambs who still ran 5 C and E series fitted with the 6LYT in 1999, these motors were ex- Erick Vick, Witham Plant and Gibbs of Frasaborugh. Other firms that i know of who ran them were, Torrigde from Devon, Beresford International Tunstal, Bassett of Tittensor, E H Nicholls of Kent, TNT’s, Collier’s Waste from Manchester, Lowe of Paddockwood, C & H Hauliers from Rainham, Millfeilds of Horbury, Suttons of StHelens amoungst other.s.
I’ll dig the artical out and put some detail’s up. Regards, Chris :smiley: :wink:

STRAIGHT EIGHT:
Hi lads, they were offered at 320 and 350 in road-trim, and up to 420 in marine guise. It was offered in Foden,ERF and Seddon-Atkinson from 84 til 87 and it was fitted in Neoplan Coach’s amoungst other’s. It was a cracking lump which was light in weight, economical and had more torque than both the ■■■■■■■ 350 and Rolls 340, and had it not been for early reliability problems and a complete lack of funding from Gardner’s owners it probably would of gone a long way to saving the once great firm :frowning: :frowning: .
There was a Foden S106 on the preservation scene with one fitted, but i havent seen it since it was being advertised in the back of Vintage Commercial mag, i know there are a few on the Fairground’s (Carters have a S106 with a 6LYT and there’s an ex-Lowe of Paddockwood E16 that travels with Stevens fun fair) but the last one’s i saw working were from the firm W.F.L Transport from Lolworh Cambs who still ran 5 C and E series fitted with the 6LYT in 1999, these motors were ex- Erick Vick, Witham Plant and Gibbs of Frasaborugh. Other firms that i know of who ran them were, Torrigde from Devon, Beresford International Tunstal, Bassett of Tittensor, E H Nicholls of Kent, TNT’s, Collier’s Waste from Manchester, Lowe of Paddockwood, C & H Hauliers from Rainham, Millfeilds of Horbury, Suttons of StHelens amoungst other.s.
I’ll dig the artical out and put some detail’s up. Regards, Chris :smiley: :wink:

I believe that W & J Riding had about 15 of them in Sed-Aks, and I recall David G Davies having some. John Killingbeck even bought one new, but it was a sign of its success that he re-engined his E16 with a big ■■■■■■■■ :unamused:

M A Forshaw from Scarisbrick had 2 in 6x4 Fodens on market work - not one of their better moves. They could’ve pulled a loaded wagon up a cliff when they were running right, but that just wasn’t often enough for Forshaw’s.

Lanstar at Preston had a Seddon-Atkinson 401 with one in and it was the same story there. It would streak ahead of a ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ motor on the same run, but it kept breaking down.

Tom Riding had 15-20 4-11s fitted with 6LYTs and even more with 6LXDTs - 290s and 310s. I believe he had the last SA 4-11 with a 6LYT and the last 4-11 with a 6LXDT.

FWIW - the 6LYT wasn’t actually a 16-litre motor, it was 15.5, but what’s 500cc to a badge designer??

G’day,
great info fellas,indead a shame that it was not a reliable motor as I’m sure it could have gone on to greater things and maybe saved Gardener. I’ve been having a bit of a dig in my old mags and found some pics,some of which have been mentioned.

Also found this artice,the Torridge motor has one but not the Scottish one it has a Rolls.

Cheers Jamie

Hi All
One of the ex WFL preveously Eric Vick & new to Gibbs is alive & kicking in Southampton & I would say short of a detroit powered unit nothing will touch this on speed .

tribsa:
Hi All
One of the ex WFL preveously Eric Vick & new to Gibbs is alive & kicking in Southampton & I would say short of a detroit powered unit nothing will touch this on speed .

Is that the one that was down at Eling Wharf several years ago, Richard? In fact, is it still down at the same place?

Hello again lads, had a dig about and have come up with some more operators of th 6LYT. James Moffat of Dalgety, T P Niven of Palanackie, A J Nelson of Kelty, Meacher’s of Southhampton, J Slattery of Kent, Galloway transport of Fife, Brocks Haulage of Thurrock, Relliance Tankers, J B Mc Bean, Robert Hughes of Dunbar, Draper’s of Essex, Boughey Distribution, R B Leadsford, and S & S Services of Tonbridge.
Found the 84 TRUCK magazine with the article of the 1st road-going LYT fitted in a S106 operated by Collier Waste of Trafford Park and will put some details of that short test up on here tomorrow,
Cheer’s, Chris :wink:

Hi Chris
No it has moved on now but still alive & kicking even has a new 5th wheel now wow.

tribsa:
Hi Chris
No it has moved on now but still alive & kicking even has a new 5th wheel now wow.

In that case, it’s moved on more than my stuff has!!

Hi Chris
The WFL No.Plate has gone & back on its original Gibbs No. now

I can remember an ERF C series purchased new by R K Browning of Leighton Buzzard having the 6LYT engine fitted
this was one in a long line of ERF/Gardner run by this company.The 8LXB/8LXC/8LXCT giving the haulier years of
reliable service.However the above mentioned vehicle was troublesome from the start the haulier switched to
■■■■■■■ L10 from then on.

another haulier lads was F R SOMERSETS of chapel en-le frith. they had an ERF E16 reg D891PNB,
it pulled a powder tank, get ready for this one, it used to do buxton to the steel works at bellshill
every day and every night. seven days a week, even sat/sun day/night. every 2nd sat another truck
went whilst 891 was serviced, it was doing 17000kms per fortnight. the engine was worn out in 2 years and was replaced
with a 14 lt ■■■■■■■ and placed on general tautliner work for a rest!
last time i saw it was on the M4 near cardiff pulling steel for a firm down there, it passed me loaded doing
about 70mph, seemed to be still going well :slight_smile:

HI
The salt works at Middlewich had a foden its now in preservation, Nice chap nr Hulland ward derby,s runs it to shows it,s 3 tones of green and looks really smart . their is also a blue ERF that lives near jct 23 on the M1. Coalville _ Leicester area that was at Kelsall rally 09.
see you later
John