ERF E series

Lawrence Dunbar:

robert1952:
@ ‘littlerichard’: nice contribution old mate. I reckon the E-series ERF was one of the best ever. It was brilliant with the Twin-splitter in and even better with the Fuller. You mentioned a bit of tension between the Twin-splitter and the high torque of your tweeked E14. About that time Eaton sorted the problem out by beefing up the TS 'box to cope with the big ■■■■■■■ engines in the export models. Keep 'em coming!

@ Lawrence Dunbar: your usual excellent contributions seems to have slipped between a couple of pints there! That’s no E-series ERF!! :laughing: Robert

It must be the Malts Im on tonight, But heres an E series just for you Robert, Regards Larry.

And a fine example it is too! Robert

steel bumper model looks much better than the plastic ones imo.

Punchy Dan:
0steel bumper model looks much better than the plastic ones imo.

I assume that’s a tag-axle… Robert

robert1952:

Punchy Dan:

I assume that’s a tag-axle… Robert[/quote

That would be a 6x4 - they operated a few IIRC

GCR2ERF:

robert1952:

Punchy Dan:

[/quote

Thank you. Never drove a 6x4 on the road. Would’ve liked the opportunity. Robert

robert1952:

GCR2ERF:

robert1952:

Punchy Dan:

[/quote

Thank you. Never drove a 6x4 on the road. Would’ve liked the opportunity. Robert

They’re alright when they’re loaded… not so clever when empty or solo :blush: :blush:

GCR2ERF:
[quote="robert1952

They’re alright when they’re loaded… not so clever when empty or solo :blush: :blush:
[/quote]
…Or taking bends and corners in the wet, I’m told! Robert

GCR2ERF:

robert1952:

Punchy Dan:

[/quote

That’s right double drive the above of Peters was E reg but Ernie Walker had one too at the same time but it sat so long in the garage it was F reg by the time it went on the road .

robert1952:

GCR2ERF:
[quote="robert1952

[/quote]
Not unlike a fully loaded tag on a wet roundabout

robert1952:

GCR2ERF:
[quote="robert1952

[/quote]
I can confirm that too Robert… as can the occupant of a house in Nuthall whose front wall I rearranged one wet night in November 1992 (!)

After reading the recent ERF book I started thinking about Eaton samt ,there doesn’t appear to be any mention on trucknet like pics ,first hand accounts from drivers / operators or other evidence ,also the E series must be ( I think ) the model that from its start underwent the most changes over the 7 production yrs many of which are still with us today such as plastic bumpers ,air seats ,air suspension ,engine electronics ,semi auto transmission,speed limiter,( some items I’ve missed ) but a backwards step not as much room for a double bunk !

Punchy Dan:
After reading the recent ERF book I started thinking about Eaton samt ,there doesn’t appear to be any mention on trucknet like pics ,first hand accounts from drivers / operators or other evidence ,also the E series must be ( I think ) the model that from its start underwent the most changes over the 7 production yrs many of which are still with us today such as plastic bumpers ,air seats ,air suspension ,engine electronics ,semi auto transmission,speed limiter,( some items I’ve missed ) but a backwards step not as much room for a double bunk !

Pretty well everyone I’ve ever talked to who used SAMT (basically a semi-automated Twin-splitter) hated them; and as I’ve said elsewhere, they often had them converted to manual. I did post an article about a SAMT-equipped ERF on the LHD E-series thread a while back. Robert

Iirc the gearstick if it can be called that was on the bonnet in the same position as the deadman would be in a B series ?

Punchy Dan:
Iirc the gearstick if it can be called that was on the bonnet in the same position as the deadman would be in a B series ?

I think that’s right, though I never used one myself. Here’s a picture of an E-series interior with one. Robert

6516595115_12119e8e36_z.jpg

Robert were they avalible in the EC range ? I didn’t think so but I could be wrong , I remember BJJ cutting up a late air suspension model E series up which had a Samt .

Punchy Dan:
Robert were they avalible in the EC range ? I didn’t think so but I could be wrong , I remember BJJ cutting up a late air suspension model E series up which had a Samt .

One day I had to return a SAMT E Seires to Peter gilders yard but didn’t have time to understand it. The following year I was doing Spain in a very early SAMT EC12 pre production truck, L15 JRT, one of Two in the all blue Jordon racing colours . It was far from perfect but I liked it and it worked well. There was a little screen telling me how many gears I could change up and how many down. It worked well behind the big rolls but I have not seen another since

ERF MAN:

Punchy Dan:

One day I had to return a SAMT E Seires to Peter gilders yard but didn’t have time to understand it. The following year I was doing Spain in a very early SAMT EC12 pre production truck, L15 JRT, one of Two in the all blue Jordon racing colours . It was far from perfect but I liked it and it worked well. There was a little screen telling me how many gears I could change up and how many down. It worked well behind the big rolls but I have not seen another since

Was this the last time Samt was seen in ERF ?

robert1952:

Here’s a question for E-series afficianados. This beastie (D899 BRY) has been on the show circuit for a while now and I believe it has my favourite combination of 14-litre ■■■■■■■ (320 in this case) and 9-speed Fuller. It appears to have come from a sizeable fleet of ERF E14s in the service of Sam Longson. Were 9-speeders standard on their E14s, or was D899 a one-off? Robert :question:

Apparently from gossip at our place, as there is a shed load of ex longson drivers, when the BRY’s came there was a 100 all lined up in the yard at chapel, with consecutive reg’s !

One of the smartest liveries about !