Equal pay for agency and full timers

the maoster:

Winseer:
There’s no need to “go without” or “use savings” or “worry” once you get established enough with an agency that you are above the starting pecking order where you only get offered the other agency cast-off shifts at the last minute…

Or alternatively you could just go full time and not have to ■■■■ about pinching this or that or worry what they’ll pay you for your week off. I had a week off three weeks ago…l

If that is a full timer’s wage there - I’m the Pope.

(I have not cleaned up my ring today btw, before you kneel before your eminence… :stuck_out_tongue: )

seriously though - if Xpo were paying their staff this amount - they wouldn’t ever be advertizing ever again - right?

Who’s the contractor putting into Xpo for this hourly rate then, up there with Royal Mail parity pay and all…?

Perhaps it is time we inserted the THIRD option into “Working”:

Full Time (Direct)
Full Time (Contractor)
Full Time (Agency)

Your ring is safe! :smiley: :smiley: I’ve never seen two XPO sites that pay similar wages tbh. I am a full timer and that was my holiday pay for the week. It’s gonna hurt you to hear my friend but it’s a heavily unionised site too. Devils work surely :smiley:

Winseer:
seriously though - if Xpo were paying their staff this amount - they wouldn’t ever be advertizing ever again - right?

Holiday pay for workers who don’t have fixed hours is supposed to be calculated as the average pay over the preceding 52 weeks. So if you’ve been doing a goodly amount of overtime for the past several months your holiday pay will reject this.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

the maoster:
Your ring is safe! :smiley: :smiley: I’ve never seen two XPO sites that pay similar wages tbh. I am a full timer and that was my holiday pay for the week. It’s gonna hurt you to hear my friend but it’s a heavily unionised site too. Devils work surely :smiley:

If I took my holiday next week, I’d be getting a similar amount… BUT it took me rather more than a week of shifts to accrue that amount! :confused:

Roymondo:

Winseer:

Holiday pay for workers who don’t have fixed hours is supposed to be calculated as the average pay over the preceding 52 weeks. So if you’ve been doing a goodly amount of overtime for the past several months your holiday pay will reject this.

If you earned holiday on the basis described here, then you’d need to take exactly one week off every 12 weeks flat-out working - or it would decay.

If you worked solid for 7 months for example, took a month off sick, a month on holiday unpaid and a month where you couldn’t get work - your average over 3,6, or even 12 months - would totally collapse - wouldn’t it?

“Rolled up holiday pay” is now supposedly illegal to quote, eg. a rate that includes holiday, rather than has holiday added on top of it…

So £16ph PLUS 12.07% accruing holiday - is legal.
whereas £18ph that includes rolled up holiday - is not.

The 12.07 method - also allows one to accrue extra holiday for putting in extra hours, as all hours now count.
There are plenty of firms who’ll accrue you some holiday for working a shift, but won’t add extra on top if you work “overtime”, nor pay you an average shift (which likely includes some element of overtime over the year…) over and above a flat shift… NOT good for the worker then!

Once holiday is earned, it stays in your pot forever, and doesn’t decay. You can then take this money any time you want, not necessarily having to take time off when you want that cash. You’ll have to satisfy minimum “Stat Leave” requirements over the reference period though, so taking that money - or not - you’ll still need to take 20 days Stat Leave per year which count - 8 hours against still? Non-Stat leave (which some new-starts won’t get any of…) counts zero hours against, and most people only get six days of in any case…

Roymondo:

Winseer:

Which is what I said above , yes we’d all love £1,000 hol pay , but would I want to do 60/ 70 hrs pw , 5/6 days , b/ h , night outs to get that ,
Or am I wrong & xpo pay nigh on £20 ph , seems strange as there agency advertise at £14 ph , do the full time drivers get £6 ph more than agency get 1,000 pw more hol pay etc etc , makes you wonder why anyone would want to be agency there
I’d ask bil but I’ve not spoken to him for years , my mrs mates ex has not long gone full time from agency there
, & he did say it’s more money direct , but then you’d ask the question why are they asking them to go employed , if there paying them £6 less on agency / with no holiday pay to pay
I’ll apply when I’m better , agency which is £14 ph ( or that’s what it’s advertised as )though I’ll do nights as the day shift shutters would do my head in ) , then I’ll ask one of the ex highway lads I worked with who are still there , they’ll give me the full sp on job
I did it for salvoes & was ok but lot of years ago so everything will have changed alot
Good night
Nb I’m always dubious when someone posts up 1/4 of a payslip , let’s see a few pay slips , let’s see hours ,does it show sat sat / sun / does it show b/h pay , night out money etc etc
If he’s doing mon - fri ,days , 50 hrs pw then good luck to him , it’s a good job , but I’m not convinced after mentions of 6 days on a tug / 30 night out money / b/h pay .
And he mentioned he drives a old merc / and lives in sleaford , not exactly the trappings of luxury

I’ve never actually seen agency jobs advertized @ the local XPO depot, formerlly Nobby Dressingtable, formerlly Christian Salverson…

I always assumed it was because I’d priced myself out of the market when signing up to agencies, “don’t bother offering me work under £10ph” - a decade ago now… !

It is more confusing than ever - just what rates of pay are achievable at which depots these days… :confused: :confused:

…If we all knew what was where - we’d all queue up for that top dollar, and forsake all others - wouldn’t we?

dozy:
And he mentioned he drives a old merc / and lives in sleaford , not exactly the trappings of luxury

Not that I need to justify to a cabbage like you why I choose to drive an old car to work where my weekly commute is less than 50 miles, but what’s the point of spending £x thousand to sit in a car park all week?

How’s the salubrious Earlsfield estate doing nowadays? Still overrun with crackheads?

Good luck with the assessment at our place Adrian. I’ll have a word for you.

Winseer:
If you worked solid for 7 months for example, took a month off sick, a month on holiday unpaid and a month where you couldn’t get work - your average over 3,6, or even 12 months - would totally collapse - wouldn’t it?

If there are weeks where there was no pay, then the count goes back for up to another 52 weeks until there are 52 “paid” weeks from which to calculate the average. If there are still fewer than 52 “paid” weeks then the average is instead calculated using the actual number of “paid” weeks as the divisor.

the maoster:

Winseer:
There’s no need to “go without” or “use savings” or “worry” once you get established enough with an agency that you are above the starting pecking order where you only get offered the other agency cast-off shifts at the last minute…

Or alternatively you could just go full time and not have to ■■■■ about pinching this or that or worry what they’ll pay you for your week off. I had a week off three weeks ago…l

This was last week for me. Average week. I choose to get holiday in Lieu instead of accuring holiday :stuck_out_tongue:
#Agency

ok.png

^^^ well done. I don’t do wage envy so I’m genuinely pleased that you received that. It’s about time we received the recompense commensurate to what our job actually involves.

Winseer:

the maoster:

Winseer:

If that is a full timer’s wage there - I’m the Pope.

(I have not cleaned up my ring today btw, before you kneel before your eminence… :stuck_out_tongue: )

Who’s the contractor putting into Xpo for this hourly rate then, up there with Royal Mail parity pay and all…?

Perhaps it is time we inserted the THIRD option into “Working”:

Full Time (Direct)
Full Time (Contractor)
Full Time (Agency)

Im not saying this is the case here but when i was at xpo my holiday pay rate was always higher than my hourly rate. Eventualy i was told the reason was that if i did more than the contracted 40 hours then more money would be added into my holiday fund as they just used a percentage of my weekly wage. They would then divide the amount in the pot by however many hours holliday i had left and pay me 8 hours at that rate. Pain in the arse realy as i never knew how much i was going to get and how much i needed to save from the proceding weeks to pay the bills.

These days, being able to decide how much you get on what weeks - is the very acme of income management…

You might want to defer taking a holiday pot into the new financial year for example, IF taking it in the current financial year - meant breaking into higher rate taxation… :wink:

Can you do that with “Holiday Pay” that you don’t get to decide when and to the penny? :question:

Winseer:
These days, being able to decide how much you get on what weeks - is the very acme of income management…

You might want to defer taking a holiday pot into the new financial year for example, IF taking it in the current financial year - meant breaking into higher rate taxation… :wink:

Can you do that with “Holiday Pay” that you don’t get to decide when and to the penny? :question:

didnt affect me at xpo as the contract i was on the holiday went from april to april