english macks

hi big bear
your right she was in a test drive , and was put up against others trucks to see how she would compare and perform, if i remember she done 4 mpg wen we 1st got her. but i do remember they took her on a test track fully loaded and she was clocked at 112 mph… wosh but not so clever on short sharp hills , as she was very high geared.
she had a 350 mack engine and was 8 speed 4 over 4… it had no spilter on her but once yiu got her wound up she flew :laughing: :laughing: happy days

Im sure that first pic is of bill hams mack an o/d from bolton were i used to live.Bill i believe had a false leg.

I remember Curries of Dumfries owning a MACK.

dafdave:
Im sure that first pic is of bill hams mack an o/d from bolton were i used to live.Bill i believe had a false leg.

You’re correct in as much as Billy Hamm DID drive that Mack for Chapman and Ball,but he was NOT an O/D at that time!
He used to tell everyone it was his motor,but unfortunately Billy was full of his own importance,to be polite.
I recovered it in Belgrade en route to Saudi when Billy was apparently injured.
I tipped at Darhan air base and when I got home,■■■■ Chapman asked me if I wanted to stay on the Mack as Billy had finished.I said I would rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick,I would prefer driving ANYTHING to a Mack!They may go like a ■■■■■■■■■■■ the most uncomfortable ride I’ve ever had!.
Nevertheless,he was another M/E driver that has moved on.RIP

Thanks for the info ian,i knew he had passed on but always thought he was an o/d.

Does anyone remember the 6 wheel Mack that “Chris Miller” of Preston used to own ?

Story has it that it had some sort of special rear axles for the heavy haulage job but don,t know what the axle design was though!

It was classed as a “Locomotive” in heavy haulage terms so I am led to believe!

Some Mack’s run by UK companies…

Young Bros used to be based just a few miles from where I lived as a kid,and I can remember the very smart Mack’s and Volvo’s parked up between trips to the middle east.

Pics courtesy of truckerash

NEJ:
Does anyone remember the 6 wheel Mack that “Chris Miller” of Preston used to own ?

Story has it that it had some sort of special rear axles for the heavy haulage job but don,t know what the axle design was though!

Bonzo Bear or NFV803T - just had a heavy duty hub reduction bogie afaik, and ran as a ballasted tractor most of the time, hence the heavy locomotive classification

Rawcliffe’s had a similar (maybe not plated as heavy, at 150te?) version ACK645V, and of course West of Scotland had many Macks before they sold out (since restarted with Scania, DAF and Volvos)

Couple more for the collection :sunglasses:

!(http://i262.phot

)

didnt the stars and stripes one used to belong to sartrans or something…
i think they had two…featured in truck magazine ithink

lespaul1765:
didnt the stars and stripes one used to belong to sartrans or something…
i think they had two…featured in truck magazine ithink

Know the 2 you mean, centre fold picture one month but not the one above though.
Have a pic of the other 2 somewhere. Will look.

yep, thats the ones nipper, be great if you could find them, cheers

found this in my collection hope you like :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

…and some more…

This one was sat in a yard in Meer,Belgium.

awesome guys,i new somebody had to have pics or scans of the garston port macks and rj normans…good stuff,keep it up

my step dad ran a mack years ago for a chap in bolton , always claimed it was his ,. it was a double drive monster of a thing as i remember , massive double bed a leather curtains . i’m pretty sure the reg number was ODK 86S , or something like that …( it was a long time ago ) from what i can remember it was ex heanor … no pictures though sorry…

Used to see a rather tidy “conventional” Mack, dark blue or black, on a “T” plate, pulling a triaxle bulker up and down the M1 in the East Midlands, quite regularly in the late 80’s/early 90’s.

Always wondered what happened to it; definitely not one of those already pictured.

Heres another rather tidy Mack from the archives.

And another.

bowser:
my step dad ran a mack years ago for a chap in bolton , always claimed it was his ,. it was a double drive monster of a thing as i remember , massive double bed a leather curtains . i’m pretty sure the reg number was ODK 86S , or something like that …( it was a long time ago ) from what i can remember it was ex heanor … no pictures though sorry…

Bill hamm had one from bolton,1st pic on this thread.