England verse germany

robroy:
So why would you make such a big judgement of a game or sport based on the thoughts of a few d/heads?

I haven’t made…

My judgement today. I didn’t make it last week, I made it 45+ years ago when footy fans were destroying trains, each other and anything/one else that happened to have the misfortune of being in the same square mile as them at the time.

It’s not a few d/heads though. It’s decade after decade of d/heads embarrassing me and other ordinary English people.

Every season it’s the same old stories of violence, drunkeness and selfish behaviour. Towns brought to a standstill by selfish away fans abandoning cars where ever they want, stations becoming no-go zones for people who just want to go to M&S for a pair of socks. As soon as we make an appearance in Europe, the quiet sidestreets of small cafe’s and bars in which ever country was unfortunate to get us away become a battleground. Broken bottles, chairs, tables and anything else that isn’t bolted down gets destroyed.

Without fail, decade after decade, football fans have disgraced themselves, the game they claim to love and everyone elses lives that happens to be in the same town on that day.

That’s a fair comment, but I think it’s just that you ain’t interested in football.
It’s a bit like cricket fans if they were the same and me saying I can’t abide cricket,.thing is I couldn’t in the first place, and that’s it.

Driving through our town on Sunday evening after Holland lost, I saw the Dutch fans all dressed up in orange with the Dutch flag on their faces just climbing onto their push bikes and cycling dejectedly home. No shop windows were put through, there was no fighting in the streets, and the two police officers standing by their car were just quietly sharing in the defeat with some fans.

So different a picture from what usually happens when England loses. :frowning:

“So different a picture from what usually happens when England loses.” - substitute the word “plays” for “loses” and you would be nearer the mark.

citycat:
Driving through our town on Sunday evening after Holland lost, I saw the Dutch fans all dressed up in orange with the Dutch flag on their faces just climbing onto their push bikes and cycling dejectedly home. No shop windows were put through, there was no fighting in the streets, and the two police officers standing by their car were just quietly sharing in the defeat with some fans.

I believe the Dutch can hold their own when it comes to a spot of football hooliganism, the Poles are even worse.

Harry Monk:

citycat:

I believe the Dutch can hold their own when it comes to a spot of football hooliganism, the Poles are even worse.

I’m not saying the Dutch fans are angels. Just that there was no evidence of it in our town and I’ve not heard anything in the news about post defeat hooliganism in cities like Amsterdam, Rotterdam or Utrecht. It was just funny to see young blokes in orange climbing onto their granny bikes and peddling off home.

I share the views of yourhavingalarf,above,regarding football and a significant number of its fans.While working for a Dutch company in the 70s I was told not to leave the Rotterdam depot for a wander because of the behaviour of Tottenham(?)fans a couple of days before.I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve been embarassed by the behaviour of Brits abroad.As a nation I believe our standards of decency have declined generally;such as the 2 idiots who accosted that Prof.Chitty or those football fans who booed the German national anthem.No manners or respect.Then we wonder why Brits are widely disliked and only tolerated because we spend a lot of money.

Can’t disagree with anything negative that has been said about the supposed ‘‘fans’’ just going to matches only for the agg has been going on for years, I’ve witnessed it myself many times, including in my own team.
The REAL FANS go to watch the game,…that is the difference.

Laser pen…

Yes, a laser pen was pointed at the Danish goaly.

Why, oh why can’t English fans ever behave?