Engine running while using the hiab

Franglais:

milesahead:

Franglais:
Someone might do a driveaway with a container load of whisky, but making off with a fully loaded skip of rubbish, or load of blocks, isn’t too likely.
I don’t leave door hanging open though. Why would anyone?

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

What if your lorry would be used to drive in some crowd of people?

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

There are 6million trucks in Europe.
How many were used for that purpose in the last year? None?
2017? None?
2016? Two or three?. But none of these were taken away whilst the engine was running, leaving the driver around to make a phone call.
I said “unlikely”. Maybe “extremely unlikely” would be better.

You don’t need 6 million, one is enough. I know it’s unlikely, but I wouldn’t want it to be my truck.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk

A few years ago when older trucks were getting stolen and exported, I heard of a mixer driver who was at back of truck just packing shutes away after tipping when someone gets in cab and away it goes… From what I remember it was never found, shortly after a report was passed around the trade advising locking cabs

milesahead:

Franglais:
Someone might do a driveaway with a container load of whisky, but making off with a fully loaded skip of rubbish, or load of blocks, isn’t too likely.
I don’t leave door hanging open though. Why would anyone?

What if your lorry would be used to drive in some crowd of people?

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using Tapatalk

They would probably blame the driver for leaving the engine running unattended!

It’s not just HIABs. Bulk blowers also require the engine to be running to discharge the load. Whilst that’s happening, the driver is usually at the rear of the vehicle operating the blower controls.

I suppose since such vehicles are mostly working on sites or in rural areas there’s not a perceived issue.

The only thing i can think would be safe to use is a run lock system, many police forces use them on the dog cars to keep aircon running and other auxiliary equipment with the keys out, cannot be nicked, if the handbrake drops it cuts the engine.

We do domestic oil deliveries. Our trucks have ‘run lock’ system, where you press a button on dash, which enables you to take keys out and lock the doors while the engine still running to power pto. If anyone dips clutch or brake pedal while run lock is active, engine shuts down.