Engine oil ,defect note ,really

norb:
We have a customer who when his vehicles are in for service inspection will not authorise us to top up his engine oil …Needless to say when the driver collects the vehicle ,he does his checks ,then points out that it has just been serviced and the oil is low .We then have to inform him that we are not authorised to do it no matter how many calls we make ,due to the fact they have their own bulk oil

Was exactly the same with Lynx. Our DAFs used to go to Lex in ■■■■■■■■■■■ for service, and when they done an oil change, they only put enough oil back in it to register minimum on the dipstick. Cheaper for Lynx to top it up using their own oil.

Dead straight forward at our place, grab a gallon from the fuel station, pay with the fuel card, done.

Perhaps the defect note system for oil is to prevent the old time scenario of oil dispense being “one for the truck and one for the car”.
I, and I am sure many other drivers went years without ever buying oil for their own vehicles. (allegedly!)

Muckaway:

norb:
We have a customer who when his vehicles are in for service inspection will not authorise us to top up his engine oil …Needless to say when the driver collects the vehicle ,he does his checks ,then points out that it has just been serviced and the oil is low .We then have to inform him that we are not authorised to do it no matter how many calls we make ,due to the fact they have their own bulk oil

I had similar when I used to go to MAN at Swindon for inspection. I listed things to do, they wanted to do it but were overuled by my employer. I thought MAN would’ve just done what needed doing as it was a lease vehicle. Air con was knackered, engine warning light always on, heavy on fuel, brakes on third axle needed re lining etc, MAN coukd’ve sorted everything over the weekend but weren’t allowed. :unamused: A shame as they were always helpful and polite but it made their product look crap because other drivers had similar problems that wouldn’t be allowed to be fixed, and these drivers told others how “crap” MANs were.

Unfortunately Muckaway you have it in one ,no truck or dealer is perfect by any means ,though sometimes we get a bad rap through no fault of our own be it manufacturer or dealer…It all boils down to the contract ,some don’t want bulbs replaced…It can for some be just a inspection with no repairs as it ticks a box for vosa or whatever they are called

R.D:
Slightly off topic… we had an agency driver take my truck out a few weeks ago, he defected the truck as it only had half a tank of diesel and not the full tank he was hoping for :smiley:

Disciplinary offence at our place.

leaving a truck unfilled would also cause an issue in my last job, maybe not a disciplinary but certainly questions.

Never really sure I like the idea of muddying the water on defect reporting with general service items and internal accounting rather than trying to keep it purely related to roadworthiness. If maintenance needs investigating I’m not sure hundreds of driver whine chits about air-con or cruise control is helpful.

And there was me thinking it was just the company that I work for that dose this silly stuff.

Own Account Driver:
Never really sure I like the idea of muddying the water on defect reporting with general service items and internal accounting rather than trying to keep it purely related to roadworthiness. If maintenance needs investigating I’m not sure hundreds of driver whine chits about air-con or cruise control is helpful.

So how do you get stuff sorted if you don’t report it then? If “driver whines” cause some grief then tough I’m afraid.

When I started at Hermes in Appleton when it first opened I defected truck for oil. No one could figure out who owned the truck so I had to go to 3 separate garages to see who would give me oil.

Own Account Driver:

If something is fitted it should be working IMO. Air-con isn’t working, why not? Cruise control isn’t working, why not? That’s what I’d be asking. Can be indicators of more serious problems creeping up. Is the wiring ok? Is there a fault with XYZ sensors?

How will ‘they’ know if maintenance needs investigating if no one tells them? If every driver comes in with a whine about this that and the next thing hanging off/not working/making a funny noise then someone somewhere should take notice.

A.

Terry T:
We had a driver defect a truck this week coz the screen was dirty. We have a full drive through truck wash as well.

They don’t deserve licenses :open_mouth:

We had agency bod refuse to take a unit out because the windscreen washer didn’t work. Called the mechanic out, turns out he was pressing the wrong button!
I had a rental unit last week where the left speaker didn’t work, was really tempted to defect it! After all, heater and radio should be on the preflight checklist IMO!

Captain Caveman 76:

Terry T:
We had a driver defect a truck this week coz the screen was dirty. We have a full drive through truck wash as well.

We had agency bod refuse to take a unit out because the windscreen washer didn’t work. Called the mechanic out, turns out he was pressing the wrong button!
I had a rental unit last week where the left speaker didn’t work, was really tempted to defect it! After all, heater and radio should be on the preflight checklist IMO!

Must have been a stralis. Ive fallen for that one too. Eventually, someone pointed out to me that I was pressing the wrong button for the washers.

damoq:

Captain Caveman 76:

Terry T:

Must have been a stralis. Ive fallen for that one too. Eventually, someone pointed out to me that I was pressing the wrong button for the washers.

Yep, got me too! You press the button you think it is, hear the motor but no water comes out!

New starter at our old place rang MAN out whilst on the yard. Ok, we didn’t have a garage, but there were still senior staff there that were ex-drivers, because his 7.5 wouldn’t start. Now bear in mind this lad had been “driving them for years”

2 hours later, MAN guy shows up…

…and…

Promptly puts it into neutral.

Reminds me Paul when I was at Earthline. I was using the MANs light test sequence, and one of the know all legendary Scania drivers there shouts over the cb “how long have you been driving that with ■■■■■■ electrics?” I politely replied that I was amazed such a know all didn’t know about the test feature. We never spoke after that (not that I was overly concerned :laughing: ).

Muckaway:
Reminds me Paul when I was at Earthline. I was using the MANs light test sequence, and one of the know all legendary Scania drivers there shouts over the cb “how long have you been driving that with [zb] electrics?” I politely replied that I was amazed such a know all didn’t know about the test feature. We never spoke after that (not that I was overly concerned :laughing: ).

You questioned a Scania driver and are still here to tell the tale? You must have gonads the size of Scania spotlights.

PaulNowak:

Muckaway:
Reminds me Paul when I was at Earthline. I was using the MANs light test sequence, and one of the know all legendary Scania drivers there shouts over the cb “how long have you been driving that with [zb] electrics?” I politely replied that I was amazed such a know all didn’t know about the test feature. We never spoke after that (not that I was overly concerned :laughing: ).

You questioned a Scania driver and are still here to tell the tale? You must have gonads the size of Scania spotlights.

Yeah but now my Daf’s been remapped from 360 to 415 (ish) their P380s can’t catch me to object. :laughing:

I HAVE A TGA WITH A D2876 ENGIN. I HAVE A PROBLEMTHAT MY OIL TEMPERATURE GOES TOO HIGH. I HAVE CHANGED THE SENSOR, THE OIL COOLER AND THE OIL COOLER HOUSING. ENGINE HAS BEEN OVERHAULED COMPLETELY AND OIL TEMPERATURE KEEPS ON GOING TOO HIGH. PLEASE I NEED ADVICE.

Asked for a tacho roll at my place nearly fell through the floor when they asked me to fill out a defect form first. The mind boggles.