Engine idling

A V8/V10 heater - night heater - air conditioned - mobile office space / accommodation – how novel :grimacing:
I remember the days my co-pilot used to lift the AEC internal cab engine bonnet and light his cigar off of the exhaust manifold :exclamation: :grimacing: :laughing:
keep her lit drive :wink:

ajt:

mike68:
It does an engine no good whatsoever to leave it idling, before or after use, an engine will never warm up unless it is under load and modern oil will protect a spinning turbo when the the engine stops, as has been said look at the handbook.

You often see club plant pot having a 45 with the engine running.

A modern engine does not need warming up but of course a engine will still warm up from cold if idling. Look at your temperature gauge on your car go up the longer it idles.

The issues agaisnt idling are for environmental reasons, pollution and effecting mpg rather than engine wear.

As for cooling a Turbo, I think the reasons are more about lack of lubrication by oil not flowing through it if the engine is cut before the Turbo has coolled.

People here are using idling to charge the battery. This shouldn’t be a issue if the batteries are fine and a better way to do it is just check the voltage on the dash when using electrical items.

The turbo cooling subject was discussed on here before at some length. To my mind, two minutes seems far too long - the turbo isn’t turning at 400,000 rpm lol. Surely 20 seconds or so should be enough? Freight Dog what about jet engines? I’ve seen videos of helicopters landing and then immediately switching off.

Evidence for it seems to be apocryphal “we’ve always done it that way”. I wonder what a turbine engineer would say??

I know on the railway for years people let locomotives tick over all night - they were running for days on end, especially in winter, as there was a worry they wouldn’t restart! Many places now have a shut down rule to prevent pollution.

Helicopters tend to turn the fans off, it gets too draughty otherwise :wink:

No idling here…

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-8pOQTVcLM

:wink:

Ok they’re jet engines, but both they and turbochargers have high speed turbines within them.

my old Subaru had a turbo timer and it was set to 5 mins!! changed it to 30 seconds at the end and 2 mins start.

plus regular oil changes.

bazza123:
No idling here…

Ok they’re jet engines, but both they and turbochargers have high speed turbines within them.

good job he put that cone there , otherwise i wouldnt have seen that big fan engine thing sat there :open_mouth:

bazza123:
The turbo cooling subject was discussed on here before at some length. To my mind, two minutes seems far too long - the turbo isn’t turning at 400,000 rpm lol. Surely 20 seconds or so should be enough? Freight Dog what about jet engines? I’ve seen videos of helicopters landing and then immediately switching off.

depends when you are going to switch the engine off, if you have just ascended a big hill and the turbo is hot (300 - 400C) then yes you should let it idle for a few minutes, the oil pumping through it is very cooling. If however your last mile or so has been on flat roads at lower speeds then the turbo may be 150 - 200°C (may be less than a 100 if you have been coming downhill on the overrun) so no need to wait before switching off.

Place I am at now has someone go round and start all the vehicles in the morning. Every morning I come in all the vehicles in the fleet, about 8 26tonners, 5 sprinters AND all the forklifts, about 5 of them, are all idling away while everyone is having their morning cuppa.

I think it is good to give a vehicle a bit of a chance to warm up before ragging it, but all those vehicles sat in a yard idling away seems excessive.

Plenty of places would penalise you or have auto shut down for cost/environmental reasons but someone at this place doesn’t seem to have got the memo.

Nice to jump in a warm cab on a frosty morning like today though so I haven’t complained.

Hammy747:
I’ll idle mine for a bit if I e been charging iPad, phone etc for a while just to be safe but only for a couple of minutes.

An iPad or iPhone takes a couple of amps to charge it up. You’ve a few hundred ampere hours of capacity in the truck batteries.

bazza123:
No idling here…

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ9uWsvR1l0

:laughing:

Freight Dog:

bazza123:
No idling here…

Wow[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji14][emoji14]

Pimpdaddy:

Freight Dog:

bazza123:
No idling here…

Wow[emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji14][emoji14]

:laughing: glad I don’t have a 2cv!

Freight Dog:
:laughing: glad I don’t have a 2cv!

No but you’re fortunate enough to fly a Boeing…

I started my truck up and let the engine idle for 30+minutes tonight then turned it off. In the morning I’ll do the same then turn it off. Then I’ll have breakfast then before I set off I’ll idle some more not to build air because am on steel and hydraulic suspension but … because I want to do it.

Also throughout the day I will leave it idling for when tipping or loading without a care in the world.

Gates:
I started my truck up and let the engine idle for 30+minutes tonight then turned it off. In the morning I’ll do the same then turn it off. Then I’ll have breakfast then before I set off I’ll idle some more not to build air because am on steel and hydraulic suspension but … because I want to do it.

Also throughout the day I will leave it idling for when tipping or loading without a care in the world.

So does that make you a quitter ?

I usually fire mine up for a couple of minutes in the morning on the second kettle boil. Helps build air, demist, tickle her into life etc.

Not necessary maybe but I like it and so does me truck.

Notice she goes straight to quite high revs on startup, not revving the balls off but quite high.

Can’t understand the lads who leave the engine running for 15minutes unless they have a problem with batteries, heater etc.
Each to their own though.

Freight Dog:

bazza123:
No idling here…

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ9uWsvR1l0

:laughing:

I’ve ridden through stronger crosswinds than that on me push bike. :wink:

Dipper_Dave:
I usually fire mine up for a couple of minutes in the morning on the second kettle boil. Helps build air, demist, tickle her into life etc.

Not necessary maybe but I like it and so does me truck.

Notice she goes straight to quite high revs on startup, not revving the balls off but quite high.

The 420dci Premiums used to do that. Start up with out touching the throttle, the engine would rev straight up to about 900-1000 rpm, then engage/disengage the exhaust brake to create and release resistance on the engine to warm up quicker. The 420dci I had in 2000 (Xreg) was the first on the fleet, all 385/400’s before, and when the guvnor heard the row it was making he told me to get off the throttle, I hopped out the cab to prove it was the trucks engine managment :wink:

I had 3 of them Dci’s (the X plate, an 02 plate, and an 05 plate) and they all did the same. if you touched the throttle, the sequence stopped.

I don’t tend to let the engine idle for more than a few minutes these days, if the batteries our going to let you down, you need new batteries, though if I was using a heavy duty inverter, then that would be different, and in the height of summer I’ll run the aircon for 20 minutes or so before I hit the sack, but other than that, I see the need to idle :wink:

ajt:
[People here are using idling to charge the battery. This shouldn’t be a issue if the batteries are fine and a better way to do it is just check the voltage on the dash when using electrical items.

The batteries on My previous Scania(13 plate) packed up last year, 2 years old :open_mouth: , but they were still reading around 22volts, but they weren’t producing the Amps required, the ECU wouldn’t let the engine even try and turn over. If my understanding is correct, these heavy duty Inverters and other cab kit, like Kettles, draw a decent dose of Amps when in use, so maybe to idle the engine in this circumstance is not such a bad move :wink:

Hammy747:
I’ll idle mine for a bit if I e been charging iPad, phone etc for a while just to be safe but only for a couple of minutes.

Your phone/tablet charger will almost certainly use less power than the interior cab lights. Would you start the engine whenever you turn the interior cab lights on?

bazza123:

ajt:

mike68:
It does an engine no good whatsoever to leave it idling, before or after use, an engine will never warm up unless it is under load and modern oil will protect a spinning turbo when the the engine stops, as has been said look at the handbook.

You often see club plant pot having a 45 with the engine running.

A modern engine does not need warming up but of course a engine will still warm up from cold if idling. Look at your temperature gauge on your car go up the longer it idles.

The issues agaisnt idling are for environmental reasons, pollution and effecting mpg rather than engine wear.

As for cooling a Turbo, I think the reasons are more about lack of lubrication by oil not flowing through it if the engine is cut before the Turbo has coolled.

People here are using idling to charge the battery. This shouldn’t be a issue if the batteries are fine and a better way to do it is just check the voltage on the dash when using electrical items.

Evidence for it seems to be apocryphal “we’ve always done it that way”. I wonder what a turbine engineer would say??

I know on the railway for years people let locomotives tick over all night - they were running for days on end, especially in winter, as there was a worry they wouldn’t restart! Many places now have a shut down rule to prevent pollution.

On the GEnX, 3 mins at idle thrust. 6 mins if used idle-up reverse on touch down. It’s not to do with oil cooling on the engines. It’s to allow uniform radial cooling of the N1 and N2 rotor shafts to avoid a bow. 3 mins is all it takes to uniform them down after 11 hours followed by some reverse, and they’re very very large turbofans