Electric car revolution coming to the UK if Labour wins

KarlM:
On the subject of charging points - what is the deal with the ones in company car parks? Do the employees have to pay to draw electric from them?

Either you have to pay or your employer gives it for free, but surely under present tax rules that would be considered a perk and you’d get taxed on it.

KarlM:
Electric Trucks are also being talked about - considering the difficulty in some services of even getting a space to have you break at certain times, never mind parking up overnight for charging. What happens if you can only make it to a lay-by. Mind you, probably will be OK to exceed drivers hours if its to recharge - as usual - safety when it suits.

This is what I tried to explain to the Tesla Fan Boys when they were [zb] off over the truck and saying the driver has to have a legal rest period so could charge it then. But there is no getting through to these people.

I can see all electric trucks on urban deliveries and low mileage return to depot work, I think Mercedes are trailing a 26t rigid with various haulage companies and will be available next year and BMW are using some very basic all electric MAN’s to move stuff between 2 factories in the same cities, but they have an awful range. However not for long distance work, for the foreseeable future this is more likely to be either hybrid or alternative fuels.

Recently saw an article about a Hyundai which runs on hydrogen and can in theory get 400 miles per tank and took 15 mins to fill-up completely.

Better than electric at hours for a total charge, it doesn’t break the fuel cell if you fully charge every time (unlike Lithium) but still quite a long time.

Biggest problem seems to be getting the hydrogen to the site unless you make it there (apparently possible) as it is very expensive to transport.

Still sounds better than electric cars to me, plus would work better with trucks and is more suitable for existing fuel stations.

And two fingers up to Tesla fanbois who are worse than the Apple ones! :slight_smile:

trevHCS:
Recently saw an article about a Hyundai which runs on hydrogen and can in theory get 400 miles per tank and took 15 mins to fill-up completely.

Better than electric at hours for a total charge, it doesn’t break the fuel cell if you fully charge every time (unlike Lithium) but still quite a long time.

Biggest problem seems to be getting the hydrogen to the site unless you make it there (apparently possible) as it is very expensive to transport.

Still sounds better than electric cars to me, plus would work better with trucks and is more suitable for existing fuel stations.

And two fingers up to Tesla fanbois who are worse than the Apple ones! :slight_smile:

Hydrogen fuel cells seem really good, but as you say transport of and storage of hydrogen is problematic. Storage problems apply to both depots and on board vehicles.

I have a drive way at home and my car seldom goes more than fifty miles so I could manage with an electric car. My present motor is a twelve year old diesel very reliable and economical, its worth about £1,000. I could scrap it and get £2,000 but I think that £4,000 is enough to spend on a car. Looks like I wont be getting an electric any time soon.

Franglais:

trevHCS:

Hydrogen fuel cells seem really good, but as you say transport of and storage of hydrogen is problematic. Storage problems apply to both depots and on board vehicles.

What have you got against Hydrogen fuelled conventional IC engines.

Carryfast:

Franglais:

trevHCS:

What have you got against Hydrogen fuelled conventional IC engines.

Obviously they’ll have the same static/mobile gas storage problems as hydrogen cells. Electric vehicles make recuperation of energy (going downhill or other braking) much easier.
Hydrogen IC engines may have a place in keeping “classic cars” clean. But electric (soulless for us oldies I agree) has fewer physical components, no gearboxes etc and because of easier energy recuperation is overall more economic.

I live in a small close of 20 council owned bungalows where parking is a frequent problem not least because one of our residents living with his elderly mother has 4 cars parked up limiting space for others.I asked our local council about a charging point adjacent to my house should I buy an electric car and was told there was no chance.So,electric cars out for us.The nearest points(2)are 6 miles away at Lidl.Looks like my diesel will be in use for some time yet unless I expire before the car.

Seems even some climate change deniers are having their eyes opened?

“Clarkson may be thought of as rather old-fashioned and conservative in his views but in a column for The Sunday Times in August 2019, the man probably more famous than any other for his lover of powerful petrol cars said he had let go of his long-held scepticism and had concluded that, actually, “ the climate is changing“.”
driving.co.uk/news/jeremy-c … ■■■■■■■■■■

I`ll bet some on TNUK will out-deny him though.

We won’t be able to afford to keep the bloody lights on - let alone run a car that needs charging every few hours…

I’m waiting to hear of these new shadow cabinet appointments which are apparently “brexiteer Labour shadow cabinet members who need a higher profile”.

I must confess - I’m buggered if I can name a single ONE Brexiteer in the shadow cabinet - ever!

Then there’s the tosh with Corbyn’s “doesn’t even need to be memed” redacted dossier of disrupted - at worst, refering to Theresa May’s now gone government, and at best “nothing to do with anything whatsoever”…

Let’s get this straight: The Labour party does NOT want Trump to buy drugs from us, in case it depletes the NHS somehow. FFS we’re talking TRADE are we not?
Are we talking about buying American made drugs at cheaper prices than the EU rips us off for currently? - Dunno, but I can’t see how some actual “competition” would hurt…
Are America going to sell us Corbinated erm I mean Chlorinated Chicken, which we don’t buy if we don’t want to?
Why this insistance that Trump is going to throw both Boris and Farage under the bus - the moment Brexit is completed? (stitching us up with our most major post-Brexit trade deal - straight away…)

Think about it: If he DID act thus - then the UK would run straight back to re-join the EU - wouldnt it?

Do you think Trump has THAT as his “hidden agenda”■■

Labour Lies, desperate to change the subject from the inadequatly dealt-with Anti Semetism.
Forget any allegations of “Islamaphobia with the Tories” - We’ve got an Asian home Secretary that Labour hate, and a Muslim chancellor that Labour hate.
What are Labour going to offer the Asian, Muslim and Jewish communities?

No “Meat and two veg” alas, but rather “Veggie Unmeat and Two Lies” more like… :unamused:

I think not.

Franglais:
Seems even some climate change deniers are having their eyes opened?

“Clarkson may be thought of as rather old-fashioned and conservative in his views but in a column for The Sunday Times in August 2019, the man probably more famous than any other for his lover of powerful petrol cars said he had let go of his long-held scepticism and had concluded that, actually, “ the climate is changing“.”
driving.co.uk/news/jeremy-c … ■■■■■■■■■■

I`ll bet some on TNUK will out-deny him though.

Car manufacturers see massive profits to be made by charging the same if not more money for an electric toy the motoring media backs the agenda or gets boycotted by said manufacturers.Who would have thought it.

So tell us exactly in what way and where has the ‘climate changed’.You know like where is it wrong today for example and what should it be.

As for the Grand Tour a programme based on big business interests along the lines of ripping off car enthusiasts by saying if you want to watch the programme you’ll have to pay for all the other crap programmes that you’re not interested in too.So not exactly a credible source.Although no surprise that Eco anti heroes suddenly become heroes as soon as they say something which the Green loons like.While proper car enthusiasts are bright enough to just ignore the bs in the knowledge of the bigger establishment greed driven big business agenda behind it all.The end result being an unaffordable,unviable,motoring environment,a collapse in the car industry new,used and classic,followed by a nuclear disaster and resulting excuses and blame shifting.

Juddian:
Tesla charging points you say, just one of many US versions.

It’s green energy you know, well the Diesel generator’s green :unamused:

They have the “Megawatt” mobile pack on the back of a trailer these days, It can charge over 100 cars. :astonished: