Elderly drivers

To be fair to the man I believe he has an excellent driving record for a man of his age.

The last car crash he was involved in was back in 97’ in Paris.

Roymondo:

the maoster:

Suedehead:
DVLA should revoke his licence . . . oh hang on

I imagine that if he reapplied for it licking the back of his wife’s head before putting it on an envelope would be a novel experience!

Do licky stamps still even exist?

Fair point. Like chequebooks it’s been a while since I used one.

I see Phil the Greek has already had a new Range Rover delivered.I wonder if his Insurance co will be as efficient and quick with the unfortunate lady who now has no car to take her son about in.

rospa.com/media-centre/pres … l/?id=1616

I feel the biggest problem for some of the elderly are impatient drivers who think everyone should drive at their speed. :unamused:

jakethesnake:
I feel the biggest problem for some of the elderly are impatient drivers who think everyone should drive at their speed. :unamused:

Crap! We use metric over here. and at 71 I get frustrated at doddering old gits that do 70 on a 100 single lane road only to floor it when they get to a dual. I get frustrated when they stop dead at a roundabout when there’s plainly nothing to give way to. I get frustrated when they’re doing 85 in lane 2 of a 100K 3 lane motorway, I could go on. I don’t take stupid chances to get round them, but there are plenty that do. I know that you being faultless will say that the other drivers should be patient (as I am) but I can understand, if not, condone some of the actions that are taken to get past these people.
If you can’t drive at a speed that keeps you up to the limit when it’s safe, get off the road.

peterm:
If you can’t drive at a speed that keeps you up to the limit when it’s safe, get off the road.

They’re limits, not targets.

mike68:
To be fair to the man I believe he has an excellent driving record for a man of his age.

The last car crash he was involved in was back in 97’ in Paris.

I see what you did there. :wink:

Said this before, but I do think it’s high time that possession of any driving licence past age 45 should be conditional on a five yearly eye examination the same as our HGV licence is. If our eyesight has to be up to scratch to drive a vehicle with a maximum permitted speed of 56 mph, so should that of a car driver whose vehicle is usually capable of travelling at twice that speed.

As the law currently stands, whilst it may indeed be an offence to drive with defective eyesight or other restrictive medical conditions, the onus is usually on the driver to be honest and declare such shortcomings rather than any mandatory checks to be applied. Even then, it needs a driver to actually consult a doctor; unless the police intervene and that’s usually after an accident has occurred. As any doctor will tell you, prevention is better than cure.

Most older drivers are reasonably competent, it’s their eyesight that lets them down, and frequently their lack of anticipation and spatial awareness is directly related to poor eyesight.

peterm:

jakethesnake:

Crap! We use metric over here. and at 71 I get frustrated at doddering old gits that do 70 on a 100 single lane road only to floor it when they get to a dual. I get frustrated when they stop dead at a roundabout when there’s plainly nothing to give way to. I get frustrated when they’re doing 85 in lane 2 of a 100K 3 lane motorway, I could go on. I don’t take stupid chances to get round them, but there are plenty that do. I know that you being faultless will say that the other drivers should be patient (as I am) but I can understand, if not, condone some of the actions that are taken to get past these people.

Crap, don’t know the laws over there but in this country drivers that drive under the limit as you mention are quite within their rights. Have you ever thought how you will drive when you get older?
Probably just like they do now and you will feel far more comfortable doing so.

As has been said it’s a limit and not a target. Just because drivers like yourself are apparently always in a hurry and have no patience you criticise others who are doing absolutely nothing wrong. :unamused:

jakethesnake:

peterm:

jakethesnake:

Crap, don’t know the laws over there but in this country drivers that drive under the limit as you mention are quite within their rights. Have you ever thought how you will drive when you get older?

As has been said it’s a limit and not a target. Just because drivers like yourself are apparently always in a hurry and have no patience you criticise others who are doing absolutely nothing wrong. :unamused:

Yes you are within your rights to travel below the speed limit however in the highway code it clearly states that you should make good progress and not be a danger to other drivers travelling at 45-50mph on a motorway does not abide by that rule. On your driving test travel below the limit and not to the road conditions and you will fail your test

jakethesnake:

peterm:

jakethesnake:

As has been said it’s a limit and not a target. Just because drivers like yourself are apparently always in a hurry and have no patience you criticise others who are doing absolutely nothing wrong. l:

:unamused:
Just because it’s legal it does not mean they are doing no wrong.
Look at the potential (to use one of your favourite words) ‘carnage’, by some old git doing 30 to 40 in lane 1 when everybody else’s speed ranges from 60 to 80/90. :bulb:
Now before you spit your coffee out in disgust I know the legal limit is 70, but we’re talking reality world here.
At least when the old git dies he can have on his tombstone ‘‘Jake says I did nothing wrong’’ :unamused:
And before Jake or anyone else jumps in…I was talking generally and not referring to this case, nor the unfortunates who died in it. :bulb: :blush:

Mazzer2:

jakethesnake:

peterm:

jakethesnake:

Yes you are within your rights to travel below the speed limit however in the highway code it clearly states that you should make good progress and not be a danger to other drivers travelling at 45-50mph on a motorway does not abide by that rule. On your driving test travel below the limit and not to the road conditions and you will fail your test

Quite correct Mazzer, however driving on a motorway at 45-50 was not mentioned in this case. Saying that where 45 might be unacceptable a car travelling at 50 in the inside lane would not be pulled by the law for their speed.(ever)

Also a driving test is to test your ability to make sure you are capable of driving in certain conditions and yes you can fail for not making progress.
However all driving test conditions do not apply to normal road driving.Drivers are not expected to drive at the limit all the time. It’s a limit, NOT a target.

ezydriver:

peterm:

They’re limits, not targets.

I think the word there is can’t, as in unable too.

You can be failed in your driving test for driving too slowly or being too hesitant, because it could be considered that you are not confident or competent enough to tackle driving on your own and could be considered dangerous and the driving test is the minimum standard we’re supposed to reach before driving.

Of this doesn’t mean you should be bang on the speed limit everywhere you drive, especially if there are factors that mean you should slow down and driving too slowly doesn’t mean 55 mph on a NSL single carriageway, but maybe less than 40mph without good reason might be considered too slow especially if you were at the front of a large queue of traffic.

robroy:

jakethesnake:

peterm:

jakethesnake:

As has been said it’s a limit and not a target. Just because drivers like yourself are apparently always in a hurry and have no patience you criticise others who are doing absolutely nothing wrong. l:

:unamused:
Just because it’s legal it does not mean they are doing no wrong.
Look at the potential (to use one of your favourite words) ‘carnage’, by some old git doing 30 to 40 in lane 1 when everybody else’s speed ranges from 60 to 80/90. :bulb:
Now before you spit your coffee out in disgust I know the legal limit is 70, but we’re talking reality world here.
At least when the old git dies he can have on his tombstone ‘‘Jake says I did nothing wrong’’ :unamused:
And before Jake or anyone else jumps in…I was talking generally and not referring to this case, nor the unfortunates who died in it. :bulb: :blush:

I don’t think I have ever seen a driver doing 30 to 40 in the inside lane during normal conditions certainly not in recent years. I would say it’s the opposite and the biggest majority break the speed limit. However if there was a driver doing 30- 40 in the inside lane it is up to us profs to deal with it and not cause any carnage. Surely, but if we are not paying attention as seems to be a regular occurence these days then we are the ones that cause the carnage through our bad driving.

Reckon you are right but only the minority. Most are capable but feel more comfortable at a slower speed from what I hear!

the maoster:
Apparently an elderly fella rolled his Range Rover today outside his house in Sandringham. His Missus will hit the roof! Thankfully he walked away uninjured.

His missus - apparently doesn’t wear her seatbelt…

Not setting a good example for a “one of us” HGV licence holder - is she? :stuck_out_tongue:

I note that Sky News reports that the Prime Minister has sent a message of good wishes to The Duke.
And of course to the ladies and child in the other car?
Or am I being cynical?

jakethesnake:

Reckon you are right but only the minority. Most are capable but feel more comfortable at a slower speed from what I hear!

A learner driver might feel more comfortable at slower speeds, but will be failed by the examiner for not reaching the minimum standards required to drive, a minimum standard we’re all supposed to build on as we get more experienced.

Driving is not just about how you feel, but how you interact with other road users.

As I said before I’m not talking about somebody a few MPH below the limit, but those well below the limit for no obvious reason and seemingly oblivious to what is happening around them.

We get a lot of elderly drivers round here and yes they drive below the limit, but normally stay on local roads, not the main trunk routes, I don’t have an issue with them, it’s a rural area and public transport in non-existent, so driving is the only way they can get to the shops or doctors or just out and about, so considering isolation and loneliness is an issue for many elderly people I can’t begrudge them the ability to get out of their home.
Many of them do seem as aware as other drivers to what’s going on around them and being old school drivers some even pull over to let you past, which is lovely :smiley: but the danger is when they are continuing to drive when they can’t reach minimum standards of health or eyesight and are unaware of what’s going on around them, this does and has lead to fatalities, even at very low speeds.

Until a few years back HGV’s were restricted to 40mph on single carriageways. I used to do a journey of which 43 miles of it was single carriageway with just 4 lay-bys in which to pull over to allow other traffic to pass. This lead to abuse and dangerous overtaking from impatient drivers.