Eaton twin splitter?

well it didnt go too bad, but it wasnt quite as described, so must have been a different box, sticker on window told me what to do, in splitter position I it was just a normal 1-2-3-4, then splitter position II, put it into high range and position III was just just like half gears but only in high range. it said on the sticker 12 speed RTSO. the clutch was more like a switch on or off, which made pulling away a bit interesting and only hit a couple of neutrals.
The only grinding was going from 4th to 5th if you pulled the lever out of gear without having the clutch down for 5 seconds beforehand.

wood73:
well it didnt go too bad, but it wasnt quite as described, so must have been a different box, sticker on window told me what to do, in splitter position I it was just a normal 1-2-3-4, then splitter position II, put it into high range and position III was just just like half gears but only in high range. it said on the sticker 12 speed RTSO. the clutch was more like a switch on or off, which made pulling away a bit interesting and only hit a couple of neutrals.
The only grinding was going from 4th to 5th if you pulled the lever out of gear without having the clutch down for 5 seconds beforehand.

Sounds like a 13spd Eaton-Fuller box to me, 12+crawler :wink:

maybe, but didnt have a crawler gear, deffo said eaton on pointy end of gearstick.

eaton make many variations… from what you described thats not a twin split- I agree its the Fuller/Eaton box

wood73:
maybe, but didnt have a crawler gear, deffo said eaton on pointy end of gearstick.

I think the S in RTSO stands for synchromesh, so it may be a different box to the 13spd altogether, if it has got a crawler it’ll be over to the left and back & if it has it’ll work in high range too, you want a quick get away from the lights when you’re empty, use this & you’ll tear up the road:wink:

yes it was a synchro box, definately no crawler. been looking it up and I now believe it to be the british version of the american 13 speed fuller, but they apparently removed the extra gear to make way for syncromesh, and was a common gearbox in foden 6 and 8 wheelers.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5284

oatcake1967:
When you have mastered the items below then your onto a winner.

Fully freighted hill starts (anybody else remember head butting the roof)

Your first fully freighted climb, 2nd low to first high :laughing:

Your first bunny hop :smiley:

Dicovering that if you press the clutch all the way down it stops that clunking,when you put it in gear.

Reversed in high. :open_mouth:

Some of the jobs I have had with a twin splitter include…

6 months on a ERF A-frame wag n drag (sweaty palms 4 a couple of months)

Browns of Stoke on agency, he has still got some old stuff now.

I drove a few Iveco as well, remember them.

I got to say its my 2nd favourite box now.
My number 1 nowadays is Volvos i drive.

I vaguely remember being bumped into the air off Dads’ passenger seat as a kid, couldn’t remember what truck it was, now I know it must’ve been the B reg Foden with the twin splitter-true they were a marmite box, firm only bought 2 of them!

wood73:
yes it was a synchro box, definately no crawler. been looking it up and I now believe it to be the british version of the american 13 speed fuller, but they apparently removed the extra gear to make way for syncromesh, and was a common gearbox in foden 6 and 8 wheelers.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5284

I had an Alpha (the 1st one) on demo, it had a 16spd Eaton synchro box in it, I think MAN used it too as an option to the ZF ecosplit 16spd, I think this was after the twin splitter had been discontinued, the dumbing down of drivers was well under way so the traditional Eaton-Fuller box was a thing of the past, more’s the pity :unamused:

■■■■■ box. :laughing:

Ken.

wood73:

How old is the truck and is the box air driven? Sounds like the one on my Foden Alpha, the top of the stick “pointy” with Eaton on it is like mine.(12 speed no crawler) does it have a high/ low reverse as mine’s single speed but fairly quick.

it’s a T reg foden a3000, dont think it was air driven, but it did have a high/low reverse.

That’s the earlier one then when they started replacing the fibreglass cabs with Daf 85s. Our earliest Alphas are Y reg they’re air driven with 12spd single reverse and on air. You might have a cable change (fun in winter) our last 8 wheelers with fibreglass cabs had 12 spd + crawler and 2 spd reverse. (Range-change+splitter)

yes its the daf cab. the only comfort is I dont drive it regular, i’m normally on an artic so with a bit of luck i’ll never have to drive it again! why did they make the steering wheel so bloody big?