Easy or Hard?

MickyB666:
You will find work, it will be easier to find if you are prepared to put the effort in, knocking on doors, handing out CV’s and accepting the less desirable jobs but the work is out there if you are prepared to look.

Ignore the ‘experience required’ section and apply in person - they can only say no and you never know unless you ask.

One of the more common routes into employment for new drivers is via the agencies - who often have work for new passes.

Good Luck.

This can depend on your age. I’m in the West Midlands and 20 years old. I was only on 2 shifts a week in September. Usually one or both was in a 7.5t.

If you are 21/25 and a Class 1 driver, your work will probably be quite a bit better than mine. Grab a shirt, work boots and a hi-viz and hit every company in a 5 mile radius. If you want it you’ll put the work in. Or if you’re like me, sign on to a few agencies and grab a beer :unamused: :laughing: (wear the shirt then too).

Rottweiler22:
A small, family-owned haulage company would be in serious trouble if an inexperienced driver hits a low bridge, totalling the truck and trailer. To them, it’s just not worth the risk.

Now I’d disagree with that. Small family firms have more flexibility and the boss is more likely to be hands on. I say that because we are a small firm ( can’t call it family as there’s only me) and we have given new starts a chance, purely because I think it’s only fair to have a mix between new and old. And yes we do pay well and not desperate for drivers.

On the insurance, it falls into two categories - either they load the premium or the excess. For us it was another £500.00 on the excess.