Eastern block drivers

Well said Oreys , a pole or Latvian will do far more with his wage when sent home to his family than a UK resident can do with his.A program on tv a while back showed this verey thing,factory in Ferryhill Durham closed and moved to asian country ,the staff from Durham I think were paid £800 a month the lady said she made ends meet and a few exteras.The lady went to see the factory in asia and meet the lady now doing her job for I am sure was £80 a month ,the asian lady bought a house and tv ect ect. so who realy was the low paid worker

brett73:
If you could earn £3500 a mounth working for say a French firm or £2000 for a uk firm were would you work? me I would go to France

Of course he would, so would I and everyone else on this forum, unfortunately the French earn much less than £2000, but at least they stick together :stuck_out_tongue:

I do driver assessments for a local company that employs many polish drivers, and the boss states that they are hardworkers and that british people are lazy. Am I right in understanding that polish workers who only stay for 6 months and return home and them come back again do not pay tax or national insurance and can claim child tax credit even when their families do not live here? If this is the case then £8 per hour tax free and CTC must seem like good wages.

As I have said before on here if we are so lazy why the silly WTD and its stupid poa and tachographs

miketdt:
I do driver assessments for a local company that employs many polish drivers, and the boss states that they are hardworkers and that british people are lazy. Am I right in understanding that polish workers who only stay for 6 months and return home and them come back again do not pay tax or national insurance and can claim child tax credit even when their families do not live here? If this is the case then £8 per hour tax free and CTC must seem like good wages.

For a brit driving a class 1, £8 / hr is good wages now. Never mind if you didn’t have to pay tax / insurance on it and could claim all kinds of bull crap for family in another country.

I know that if they work over here, they can claim the same as we can for their families, even if they’re still in their home country, that stands for anyone in the EU.

this country is quite funny but not in a ha ha way , as said we turn our heads up at something then moan when something is done etc… when agencies had to get foreign peolpe over to do our work because most of us on benefits would not do that sort of work.

here is something that realy annoys me . i live in a village surrounded by fields , at one secton of the village is a counsil estate where there are plenty of fit healthy people claiming benefits and not looking for work NOT LOOKING FOR WORK in the fields around them most days are polish rumanian latvian people working on the fields because the people claiming and not looking for work would not do that type of work when offered. yet these counsil claiming scum have the cheek to shout abuse (go home etc…) at the hard workers in the fields because they think there jobs have been taken.

i think people claiming when out of work should have to be forced to work in jobs that are needing workers ( e.g. if there are a shortage of graffiti removers or field workers etc… these people should have to be forced to work there until they find a suitible job paid of course) how quick would these claiming scum find a job once this happens? i think it would be rather quick.

i dont mean to tar people with the same brush here as i do know there are people looking for jobs and serching every day but having no luck.

with the above some companies wont take on workers due to experience (hgv) in cases like this i think instead of the goverment paying for another god knows how long worth of benifits. they should do insentives for the person like subsidising the company insurance while the person is new this with be cheaper than paying benifits and will also entice companys to take on new employees instead of searching for people with 2 yrs experience + (small dig there at some truck firms)

in other words dont blame foregners as its our own bloody fault this has happened they not done anything wrong

al_P:
here is something that realy annoys me . i live in a village surrounded by fields , at one secton of the village is a counsil estate where there are plenty of fit healthy people claiming benefits and not looking for work NOT LOOKING FOR WORK in the fields around them most days are polish rumanian latvian people working on the fields because the people claiming and not looking for work would not do that type of work when offered. yet these counsil claiming scum have the cheek to shout abuse (go home etc…) at the hard workers in the fields because they think there jobs have been taken.

Many yearsa go it used to be people like my mother and other women from the villages that did the back breaking manual work in the fields and in cold barns in the Winter, But this doesn’t happen anymore, it’s not because they can employ foreign workers, but because villages have changed and the women that used to do these jobs, now have cars and can go and work on the tills in the local supermarket or other jobs, that’s if any of them can afford to live in the villages now anyway.

al_P:
i think people claiming when out of work should have to be forced to work in jobs that are needing workers ( e.g. if there are a shortage of graffiti removers or field workers etc… these people should have to be forced to work there until they find a suitible job paid of course) how quick would these claiming scum find a job once this happens? i think it would be rather quick.

It always sounds great to make these people work until you’re the poor [zb] who has to work alongside them :imp: . If they bother turning up they are lazy and disruptive. And I also pity the people who have to employ them having to constantly make sure they are working or the job doesn’t get done.

I don’t actually think that all British workers are lazy or all East Europeans are hard working.
But more likely, like the women who used to do the casual farm work, the hard working Brits are mostly in work and the lazy Poles etc are still in Poland complaining that they can’t get decent jobs.

Of course what happened a few years back was that good drivers were in short supply and employers who wanted drivers had few choices,
Improve pay and conditions to attract and keep drivers or employ the dregs and hope that they actually turned up and did the job.
Then as luck would have it 10 coountries joined the EU with a ready work force who were willing to travel and the UK, along with Sweeden and Ireland ignored the warnings and allowed totaly free access to thier job market.

But even if the Countires hadn’t of joined he EU at that point, many large companies were so worried about the shortage of good drivers that they would have gone to No10, made a donation to party funds and Hey Presto! :exclamation: special dispensation for them to hire foreign workers from outside the EU.

Of course one day the tables might turn and it will be worth going to Poland to work and it will be the hard working British that go out there, while the same lazy spongers sit at home complaining that there is no work for them.

orys:
You can see many of Brits working across the pond or somewhere in Europe and they come here to that forum, as they also have two “homes” - here and there. They leave in Spain or whatever, but they still consider themselves as citizens of the UK. This is the reason why Welshboyinspain do not use nickname Spanishguyofwelshdescentinspain :wink:

hello orys, i’ve no comment to make on this subject because it’s been covered before but i have to point out something to you.
i have 1 home, spain. i don’t have 2 homes like some eastern europeans i know
its my home because its where i live end of story.
as far as my name goes i’m not spanish i’m welsh. welsh born, welsh bred and when i die i’ll be welsh dead.
to be spanishguyofwelshdescentinspain i would have to have been born in spain of welsh parentage wouldn’t i?
i am not a citizen of the uk as i don’t live there i am a spanish citizen but i am not spanish, there is a big difference
and just finally i can use this forum as it is open to all, the uk isn’t a communist state yet

There’s lots of different opinions out there so I might as well join in;

Unemployment?

Well, I’ve had more than my fair share of being unemployed since I left school - I’m not a lazy sponger but why would I accept a job picking sprouts in a freezing field when I’m a relatively highly qualified mechanic and now a half decent truck driver? Saying that, as I left school we were all mad for work like that! I earned £560 a month packing apples and thought I’d hit the jackpot :blush:

This immigrant thing…

Lets face it, the government cocked up; We now have literaly millions of british skilled workers on the dole because the work isn’t there - why isn’t it there? because there’s milions of foreigners here already doing those jobs - whether they’re good or bad it’s irrelevent, it’s caused the country a massive problem and possibly put us in a recession (well, a fair amount of our money’s probably found its way back home for the worker’s families hasn’t it - can’t’ve done us many favours) No offence of course but it’s true.

Me?

Since getting my license I worked first of all for the engineering company I already worked for in their 7.5 tonner. I worked with two poles who were useless, one got banned from driving anything because he was so dangerous and they were both caught stealing from the company - neither got sacked but one asked the boss for his holiday money to be advanced so he could go home on holiday and never came back. I also saw poles on building sites and yes they were grafters but they go into everything heavy handed and cause more problems than it’s worth (as did the two I worked with).

I left the engineering firm and went on the agencies for various reasons (mostly, it’s an employers market now and with little experience I wasn’t getting anywhere) and I’ve seen a few horror stories since. I’ve no intention to work abroad as I’m happy here, I’d do 6mnths in canada for the experience maybe but that’s about it.

I once arrived at a “client’s” at 03;00 and got told what lorry etc, I was doing my checks etc when a polish guy aproached me; “how you drive?” he asked, pointing at his lorry :open_mouth: I asked what he meant but just got a repeat so I jumped in his cab and shew him how to work the parking brake, as I jumped out I said “just like a car apart from that” He thanked me and off I went but I’ve always regretted not telling anyone :imp:

Now, I’m still with the agencies, struggling to find a full time job but I may be getting somewhere after two years :unamused: fingers crossed!

How much will the driver of a Bulgarian truck be earning while he tramping throughout Europe?

welshboyinspain:

orys:
You can see many of Brits working across the pond or somewhere in Europe and they come here to that forum, as they also have two “homes” - here and there. They leave in Spain or whatever, but they still consider themselves as citizens of the UK. This is the reason why Welshboyinspain do not use nickname Spanishguyofwelshdescentinspain :wink:

hello orys, i’ve no comment to make on this subject because it’s been covered before but i have to point out something to you.
as far as my name goes i’m not spanish i’m welsh. welsh born, welsh bred and when i die i’ll be welsh dead.
to be spanishguyofwelshdescentinspain i would have to have been born in spain of welsh parentage wouldn’t i?
i am not a citizen of the uk as i don’t live there i am a spanish citizen but i am not spanish, there is a big difference
and just finally i can use this forum as it is open to all, the uk isn’t a communist state yet

I agree with you there kid.

miketdt:
Am I right in understanding that polish workers who only stay for 6 months and return home and them come back again do not pay tax or national insurance and can claim child tax credit even when their families do not live here? If this is the case then £8 per hour tax free and CTC must seem like good wages.

No, you are not right understanding.

1. If you work 6 months here and six months in Poland it is much better for you to pay your British taxes as they are lower If you put your British earnings on the tax form in Poland, you will jump up straight to the higher level, as you earn more. I doubt that you would like to pay 19% in Poland instead of 10% in Britain or, if you earned more, 19% from some amount and than 30% instead of just 22%…

2. you can claim back your tax (but then you have to pay it in Poland) but you can’t claim back your NIN.

3. Yes, you can claim your child benefit even if your kid is not where you work. Becouse child benefit is in fact EXTRA CASH FOR A WORKING (or insured) PARENT. It would be hard to claim Child benefit in Poland when parent is working and paying his NI in other country. You can do it as well, go to Spain or wharever you want and claim there benefits for your kids back in UK.

waynedl:
I know that if they work over here, they can claim the same as we can for their families, even if they’re still in their home country, that stands for anyone in the EU.

No, they can’t. They can claim SOME benefits from day one, but from most of them they have to work here for full tax year, or, in many cases 24 months.

welshboyinspain:

orys:

Yes, but this one is something new, as most of the voices are not against Eastearn Europeans. That’s why this one is so interesting for me :wink:

I did not suggested that you have two. But I have nothing against if you want to have two homes, or if you want to buy another five :slight_smile:

Same as me. I will never be Scottish, even if I will try hard :slight_smile:

Here is my English to blame. Maybe I should use “Spanishguywhousedtobewelsh” to show what I meant.

Citizenship, as far as I know is not related to where you leave. So if you have British passport, you are British citizen. You can be hindu, Spanish or Polish, but citizenship is what passport you hold (and you can have more than one).

Off course. But I bet you are not visiting forum for Czech or Bulgarian truckers. You are coming here, becouse you are Welsh and you will always be, therefore even if you leave in Spain you are hungry for contact with other Brits. That’s why I am on few Polish forums.

I used your example not trying to blame you for anything or to work out how many homes you have. I wanted to show something, and I bet you agree with me, as both of us went throught the same that you did not felt that you are well settled in Spain from day one - it took you some time. Maybe longer, maybe shorter, but I just wanted to show that it takes some time for one to feel like “home” in new place.

Sorry if I made something wrong by using your example.

orys:
1… You can do it as well, go to Spain or wharever you want and claim there benefits for your kids back in UK.
I know that if they work over here, they can claim the same as we can for their families, even if they’re still in their home country, that stands for anyone in the EU

orys thanks for your reply to my earlier post.
please stop quoting spain as an example to all EU being the same as i have a little girl who is 3 next week and we do not get child benefits as they don’t exist in spain. it’s only the stupid uk government that hands out money to everybody for everything without earning it.

just out of interest though if as some people claim eastern europeans work for less and some say they don’t why did we have pages of response to the nolans thread where the poles were working for crap money?

Its getting to be an old chestnut these Eastern European threads, but I still enjoy reading them. In my view the UK is really the only country that allows people to come and work with very little hindrance, no real barriers, a workers registration card and thats about it, maybe that has changed in the last couple of years, but that seemed the deal when I came back to the UK to live in 2007. I work in Denmark mainly and the warehouse at the company I freelance for bought 4 Poles in and it was a lot more paperwork and meetings to allow them working rights, so the UK is an easy option. Choosing the easy option/route/less paperwork then the UK is the obvious place to come. I have seen many advertisements from UK firms or agencies in the Polish press looking for workers over the years, Judas here is your own country men.

My opinion why they come to the UK: I have been here a year now and on a Polish wage its a very expensive place to live, so even Poles with jobs would consider working in the UK as a good option. An example would be as a sole trader in the UK I paid around £21 national contributions a month, the same thing here with Zus is £160 a month, plus accounts are submitted each mouth as is VAT, my new Polish accountant has made more money in 6 months then my UK accountants made in the 2 years I was with them. TVs, white goods, cars, all more expensive then the west, just bought a TV here, cost £900, seen the same one on amazon for £725. last weekend the wife and me drove to Ashford Designer Outlet from Poland, filled the car up with clothes and drove home again, she will sell these items for 70-100% mark up, the UK is so cheap. My move to Poland was never based on sound financial planning, its made working a lot harder, but I like living here, expensive for me now for sure, but money is not everything.

If the UK continues to allow incoming workers an easy passage into the country with relative higher earnings that they do not have to work as hard as back home then I reckon they will. The opportunities to better yourself in the UK are very high for a Pole, perhaps Orys would agree. The work ethic is different here believe me, I struggle to keep up big time, I have had a very rude awaking to the realties of actually living in such a country, here I am now digging trenches to channel melting snow the right way and the sodding earth is frozen rock solid, I stop every few minutes and complain, then look around me at my parents in law at 76 years of age more than a few metres in front of me with their trenches. This afternoons entertainment will be hanging on a rope pushing snow and ice off the roof. I am looking forward to a good rest when I start a 2 week concert tour in Germany next week.

Well got to go, everyone is outside working, so time for the lazy westerner to make an appearance.

r slicker:
right. time for me to stick my two penneth worth in.

total myth about being cheaper. i operate trucks and have done for along time now. i have a very succseful company and continue to trade and make a profit in europe. i have offices in ipswich (head office) poznan.premsyl (sp) brno and budapest.

when the original mass exodus of labour started into europe from the ascending countrys in the eu the drivers who where left rightly so demanded wages to match thier counterparts in europe or they would do the same.as the shortage of drivers became chronic. if someone can post a photo for me i have a line up of trucks with no drivers for all to see.

in 1 weekend alone i lost 8 drivers to a well known norfolk fridge operator. 6 of those drivers are now back with me as to quote “the grass is not greener on the other side”

my polish drivers earn around €2200.00 take home a month so around the same as a uk tramper all legal and ubove board with trucks less than 3 yrs old.

in my opinion the only difference is that say 4pm friday afternoon they will take a load from london to aberdeen and not moan they have the work ethic. not all but certanly from my opinion 90% do. yes ive had bad apples but far less than when i had uk regs trucks and drivers.

and as for cheap rates well thats not quite correct. next week i have my first english subby start for me. i asked him to quote for the work i have on contract and he actually is 2pence per km cheaper than my own trucks and i have not got my sums wrong either. if he stays is another matter but its his price not mine ferry paid by me of course. so unless anyone can contradict me i think this should kill this "romanians will do it for free myth.

you seem to think that €2200 is the same as a uk tramper. It isn’t. €3000 would be nearer the mark.
pay peanuts, get monkeys.

i,ve witnessed the same things… in one of the villages near me the dole scroungers of the area sit there all day drinking and then moan about the poles ect that are taking their jobs, 1 of the farmers that employed the poles told the scroungers if they wanted a job the work was there, guess what they all went deaf and not one applied…

I work my wife works and we can,t afford to go out all day drinking or whatever… the govt need to stop paying these benefits and force them back into work!

i know a few guys who are classed as disabled for benefits, 1 of them goes around doing landscaping ect cash in hand yet he as a back problem??
another goes around doing building work, labouring, if he cannot find work cash in hand he spends the rest of the time fishing climbing up and down river banks, he supposedly as a bad knee that does not allow him to work as he finds walking difficult… funnily enough a less serious injury than my wife had… as said my wife is still in full time work…

welshboyinspain:
please stop quoting spain as an example to all EU being the same as i have a little girl who is 3 next week and we do not get child benefits as they don’t exist in spain. it’s only the stupid uk government that hands out money to everybody for everything without earning it.

So you have same rights to claim child benefits as the locals :slight_smile: Same rule as in UK :wink:

welshboyinspain:
‘…we do not get child benefits as they don’t exist in spain. it’s only the stupid uk government that hands out money to everybody for everything without earning it…’

I’ve a jock mate living in Holland with his Cloggie Mrs (none of them with any intention of ever coming back to UK) who trousers UK ‘kid money’ whilst living there for his two sprogs.

How come the difference?