Driving through a Red X

Winseer:
The danger with more and more automation is that to a computer unhindered by human hands once set running - 1.9 seconds after the gantry was switched on is no different than 1.9 hours. It’s a binary thing. You either drove through red ‘x’ or you didn’t. A miss is as good as a mile, but a hit is first past the post. :unamused:

It’s a similar situation to ordinary traffic lights.In which amber means stop and the lights don’t know or care if something is approaching 20 feet away or 100 yards when they change and it will be seen as not stopping for a traffic signal in either case.Bearing in mind that the technology exists to either delay the change if something is close approaching.Or at least provide a flashing green in the case of traffic signals and a similar delay with a flashing red X in the case of motorway signals to provide advance warning to drivers of the impending change to stop.The only possible logical conclusion is that it’s all a deliberate cash raising scam and set up to criminalise drivers. :bulb:

Adonis.:

selby newcomer:

Adonis.:
Saw quite a few do it on the M25 last night, was praying for the flashes to go off but they didn’t.

I’d be going to court if I had what your colleague had.

A.

He was talking about appealing but he also said that if found guilty the punishment could be doubled, 6 points & £200 fine, it’s all a scare tactic to get you to roll over & take the punishment

If the letter says he was caught 1.9 seconds after it changed, any solicitor who couldn’t get him off with that shouldn’t be in a job.

A.

I’d be surprised if it went to court, slightly different but the variable speed limit camera have a one minute grace from the time the speed limit changes and the camera is operating at the newer speed limit, would have thought the cameras would operate the same way for the Red X.

We asked this very question of Surrey Police and they confirmed there is a 1 minute delay tolerance when the variable speed limit changes.

speedcamerasuk.com/hadecs-3.htm

selby newcomer:
I knew there had been a big education campaign recently about changing lane when a red X is displayed for a lane closure and I totally agree with it, it’s obviously displayed for a reason. So I came back to the yard today & walked into the office & there’s a fella filling in his details for driving in a lane with a red X displayed, I had a chat with him and he’s showed me the letter and I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes, it states that he went under a gantry 1.9 seconds after a red X had been displayed, it was on the A10 in Cambridgeshire.

I’m not familiar with that stretch so I don’t know the road layout but I find it harsh the way he’s been treated.

PS, it not me :laughing:

Are you sure it’s not the A14? The A10 at no point has overhead gantries, at least not in Cambs (maybe further south in Herts where there’s that long bit of dual carriageway). Or perhaps it was the level crossing, which has flashing yellow lights before the red lights come on?

With the variable speed limit they allow a few seconds between the new speed limit appearing and it being enforced to take account of the fact that drivers could have been too close to the gantry to slow down in time. If this story is right, a 1.9-second gap is too short because there could have been other vehicles in the other lane preventing the driver from changing lanes in time. He should appeal.

IndigoJo:
Or perhaps it was the level crossing, which has flashing yellow lights before the red lights come on?

Do I detect the characteristic sound of a nail being hit firmly on its head? A prosecution for passing a red light at a level crossing (or indeed any other red traffic light) only two seconds after it changed to red would be as expected.

Ffs was any harm, loss or suffering caused? No there wasn’t was there, surely some common sense should be applied rather than complete nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carryfast:

Winseer:
The danger with more and more automation is that to a computer unhindered by human hands once set running - 1.9 seconds after the gantry was switched on is no different than 1.9 hours. It’s a binary thing. You either drove through red ‘x’ or you didn’t. A miss is as good as a mile, but a hit is first past the post. :unamused:

It’s a similar situation to ordinary traffic lights.In which amber means stop and the lights don’t know or care if something is approaching 20 feet away or 100 yards when they change and it will be seen as not stopping for a traffic signal in either case.Bearing in mind that the technology exists to either delay the change if something is close approaching.Or at least provide a flashing green in the case of traffic signals and a similar delay with a flashing red X in the case of motorway signals to provide advance warning to drivers of the impending change to stop.The only possible logical conclusion is that it’s all a deliberate cash raising scam and set up to criminalise drivers. :bulb:

A couple of things there:

There are plenty of us that have had the experience, approaching a traffic light that’s just turned green, nothing else about for miles. On top of light now, and accelerating - and the bugger goes amber! No one jams their anchors on, so we end up going through yet another light on Amber. Nothing is coming from anywhere.
Then there are the times when you DO stop and you sit there… and sit there… the lights are green for traffic coming out of a side road or across the crossroads etc.
They stay green for nothing the other way for what seems like ages and ages… Then finally a solitary car approaches the green light - and the light turns amber for them now, and you can finally get away, as yours turns green only because (it seems) something approached the other way, and triggered the light to go amber in their face. :unamused: :unamused: Tell me that’s never happened to you other folks!

When a red x appears, the process whereby the cameras go “live” must be electronic and instant I’m thinking. If that were NOT the case, then you’ve got some jobsworth looking at some CCTV somewhere with their finger over the trigger for switching the gantry cameras on, and another finger for the red ‘x’ signs…
Surely no one is going “Hehehe. Watch this… Trigger the red x when he’s right on top of it - and hey presto - the other button just gets pushed like this and camara flashes, and I’ve won more money for my beloved firm”

The process might seem like it’s done with some malign human at hand - but I’m sure it’s all just a coincidence eh? :bulb:

Winseer:
A couple of things there:

There are plenty of us that have had the experience, approaching a traffic light that’s just turned green, nothing else about for miles. On top of light now, and accelerating - and the bugger goes amber! No one jams their anchors on, so we end up going through yet another light on Amber. Nothing is coming from anywhere.
Then there are the times when you DO stop and you sit there… and sit there… the lights are green for traffic coming out of a side road or across the crossroads etc.
They stay green for nothing the other way for what seems like ages and ages… Then finally a solitary car approaches the green light - and the light turns amber for them now, and you can finally get away, as yours turns green only because (it seems) something approached the other way, and triggered the light to go amber in their face. :unamused: :unamused: Tell me that’s never happened to you other folks!

When a red x appears, the process whereby the cameras go “live” must be electronic and instant I’m thinking. If that were NOT the case, then you’ve got some jobsworth looking at some CCTV somewhere with their finger over the trigger for switching the gantry cameras on, and another finger for the red ‘x’ signs…
Surely no one is going “Hehehe. Watch this… Trigger the red x when he’s right on top of it - and hey presto - the other button just gets pushed like this and camara flashes, and I’ve won more money for my beloved firm”

The process might seem like it’s done with some malign human at hand - but I’m sure it’s all just a coincidence eh? :bulb:

Ironically it seems that traffic light cameras at least are only triggered by the red light not amber.But I know from experience that a copper will nick someone for not stopping on amber. :confused:

While if the OP is right it seems like the red X on motorways is possibly the worst of all worlds situation of enforcement cameras triggered by the change to red light conditions but obviously with no advanced warning at all of the change to red.With the idea of advanced warning,in the form of a flashing green and flashing red X regarding traffic lights and lane closure signing respectively,would obviously remove any suggestion of a conspiracy to unfairly target of drivers in that regard.Unlike the situation as it stands.

People just got complacent though. They knew all about the new rules, made assumptions about how they would not be strictly enforced, and are now coming a cropper because of such complacency.

Just recently, I have been approaching 3 lanes down to 1 situations, and bugger me if everyone is rushing to get over into the single lane, even though that means queuing!

If this thing of “rushing up the outside, through the red 'x’s with abandon” is coming to and end now - then surely that’s a good thing?

I’ve got nothing against “Hard Policing” and “Rigid Enforcement” - providing Plod never says to me again “Sorry bud, police cuts, we’ve got no one available” when I call them for someone trying to break into my house in the middle of the night. The proverbial fictitious shotgun being mentioned - isn’t very funny any more by this point. It’s a sad indictment on today’s police that they’ll turn up for “politically incorrect crimes” before any other kind.

If some brudder/illegal immigrant/leftie activist/rowdy “gimme some respect” youth/ was the one trying to nick my car/break into my shed, then the call to the police might contain the verse “I’ll deal with it myself if no one turns up before they are ready to leave with my stuff” which has the same effect as the old “I’ve got a gun” excuse, but with less consequences. The point is, that the police WILL turn up if they think you are about to “Take the law into your own hands” - to stop YOU. Society’s undesirables on the other hand (i.e. actual real criminals) - are protected by so-called Human Rights Charter over and beyond taxpayers that have done nothing wrong but had the misfortune to be a victim of a crime which our establishment don’t give a ■■■■ about.

I’m still awaiting that magical day when I get to see some vehicle with foreign plates actually being impounded - for parking under bridges/picking up hitchikers on the motorway/driving with no lights/having something sticking out of their boot/etc

Bit of a joke them red x’s as 10/10 no one will want to let you in

Overhead gantries, normally give drivers warning to move over ie wickets in the central res.

I do not believe this driver is being 100% accurate, he was caught going under a Red Cross, they are red for a reason. Safety of workers , the public maybe a horse on the Rosd.

Simple if it’s red and you can’t move over stop and wait for a clearing and move, never risk points and a fine.

Cough up fella.