Driving in Ireland, what do I need to know?

oh and whilst not very healthy the Irish don’t half know how to make a cracking fry up - soda bread and the likes.

oh and Tobacco onions I think it was called was another heart attack but soo nice!

I think you need to have some Euro’s to use the tunnel which will get you from Dublin port out onto the main roads. Also for tolls on the motorways M1 and M50 for example. They will take sterling but will give you the change in Euros and you will lose a little.

All tolls have barriers so correct in saying about the euros but you will need euros for buying food etc anyhow
the m50 has a toll free barrrier and if you are in uk registered truck u wont need to pay that one if you dont want

nedflanders:
Between 1.15 to 1.20 euros ,
Bp can be hard enough find
some new motorway services opened with a company called applegreen fuels.
Majority of fuel station in towns are not hgv friendly due to low canopys and cars abandoned
so when u see a bp make sure u fill up :slight_smile:
does your fuel card work in any other then bp

Is there a single BP, Shell or Esso station in the North? Is Texaco not the nearest to the main brands found in mainland UK?

Looking at Bp website there is 37 of them in northern ireland cant seem to find any in southern ireland
Texaco would be very rare in southern ireland

nedflanders:
Looking at Bp website there is 37 of them in northern ireland cant seem to find any in southern ireland
Texaco would be very rare in southern ireland

Are they the Maxol sites?

3-4 Euro’s gets you amazing breakfast rolls in basically every fuel station in the south.

I have mates around the west of Ireland - Proper country lads, and its always good fun out there. Been to Ireland loads of times but never Dublin as my mates consider them ‘foreigners’ but i thinks thats just like most people in the countryside in the UK not liking it when London folk turn up.

230 Maxols says the website i dont know where as i rarely ever saw a maxol there :slight_smile:

nedflanders:
230 Maxols says the website i dont know where as i rarely ever saw a maxol there :slight_smile:

Maxols are all over the place in the North but the last BP I saw was converted to a Maxol. And like BP on the mainland, they’re always expensive!

liverpool/belfast ferry…8 hours in prison with the option of drowning. do yourself a favour and give someone else your cabin ticket,then hide in the cab.as soon as you feel the captain drop the clutch,set your alarm for 7 and a half hours later,and you will wake up in nice time to fill your truckers tizer bottle before disembarking.if you dont do that,then you will be wakened for most of the night by either your cabin buddy coming in about midnight to have a shower,pee,and the constant tannoying from the ■■■■■■■ that like the sound of their own voices…then as soon as someone can see a belfast seagull,your tannoyed to death and doors banged to get rid of you so the cleaners can do your cabins 1st before waking the human car passengers .turn right at the gates into the docks heading for the stena/cairnryan ferry,and 500 yards up the road is a garage for a decent heart attack on a bap.

Wait to get diesel in “The South” as right bit cheaper and plenty of Applegreen truck friendly services.
Make sure you call into “Barack Obama Plaza” services J26 M7 on way to Limerick.
700L diesel here gets you a 5euro food voucher and free large “Timmys” coffee!!!
Made use by yours truly 10am today!!!

Hammy747:

nedflanders:
The sat nav will work to some degree will bring you to a street , there is post codes now in ireland but they have only been introduced in the last few months and noone really uses them and i doubted if any sat navs are updated yet.
If you on english number plates in southern ireland you wont have to worry about them as even though the van may flash u wont get a ticket in the post,
Usually all the locals will warn u in advance where these camera vans are by flashing the lights at u
You going to have a good tour of the country with the places you are going to ,
In nothern ireland remove any uk flags etc that may have up in your cab as already said
as already mentioned here in northern ireland you will know what part you are in going by the flags and bunting displayed
Am irish myself lived there for 30 yrs so any thing you not sure about or need to know just ask.
Any idea what way you are shipping yet ?

Fairly certain it’ll be Liverpool to Belfast. Not 100% on any of it yet though.

No problem on flags. Although my truck is assigned to me for a tour I don’t decorate it. I’ll make it my own but nothing over the top!

Hopefully it’ll be good fun. According to my family tree I’m 1/8th Irish so I guess it should feel like home somehow!

What are diesel prices like over there, and are there plenty of truck friendly BP garages?

There are no BP garages in the Republic you would need to see who they are affiliated to, used to be able to use them on the Routex network but Topaz pulled out of that a while back, around the border areas UK fuels are common and CSC

When in Derry if you are looking for a feed then Badgers, Fitzroy’s, Quay West or Custom House are all good places to eat and within about 5 mins of the Milenium Forum which is where you will probably be based, if you’re looking for a beer then any bar in Waterloo Street as well as Sandinos which is near the bus station, or if you’re looking for women then da Vinci’s is the place to go about a 5 min taxi ride fro the city centre, if you can’t pull in there then “boy you is ugly”.
Derry folk are pretty friendly and will chat away to you if chatting to a women and she says “you’re a quare bit o’ stuff” then you in with a good shout, if she says “you’re a quare bit o’ stuff, Sirr” then she is from the country so you’re first ride will be to some farm or townland in the back of beyond, which is grand till the morning when you realise you have no notion where you are and should you have ended up in Donegal any change in your pocket will now be useless for getting a taxi.
On a more serious note should you have a spare hour or two during the day then head up to the Java Café on Carlisle Road and take one of the guided city walking tours to get a good unbiased history of the city. The Bogside museum is also well worth a visit to give an insight into the causes of the most recent troubles as well as getting the mandatory photo at the Free Derry corner

In the South there is a 15’3" height restriction so don’t go taking any tall trailers from the North to the South!

The Dublin Port Tunnel and Limerick Tunnel are 15’3" hence the reason for the restriction.

Watch out for soft verges :laughing:

^^also where they’ve widend the road and not cut the tree branches back .

There are so many ■■■■■■■■ posts here, I don’t know where to begin! No Texaco? Really. The massive one on the N4 near my old house begs to differ! I lived there almost 10 Years and had not 1 cross word/ exchange with anyone, North or South. Enjoy! Sat Nav works OK as long as you have a road name.

Never had problems anywhere in Ireland just don’t turn up waving a union jack wearing a orange sash and it’s fine

I’m from Derry myself so dont worry about the catholics and protestant stuff manly just internal stuff thay don’t bother withoutsiders as for the North just keep flags and stuff like that out of site that go’s for Belfast aswell driving wise no speed cameras but you do get the odd bugger hiding in a bush with a speed gun very sneaky other than that ul be grand very friendly over hear now down south is the same just very easy to go down the rong Road and most of them where built for horse and cart not a lorry so u have to use a map and be carefull but thats it other than that every thing is gd overhear good luck.

Like everything else in life Hammy,if you dont give grief,you wont get grief.Unfortunately,some of the grief givers are on both sides of the water,British/Irish,Catholic/Protestant,Drivers/Non drivers.
■■■■■■■ is ■■■■■■■ in any mans language.We all meet them every day,so best just to walk away and laugh.
Loads of Texacos.Bring euros.(credit/debit cards accepted everywhere,contactless access in lots of places).
Judging by your itinerary,youll only be hitting Dublin on return leg(if youre shipping home Belfast/Liverpool).Maybe Dublin/Liverpool may be a better option?
Enjoy your trip,bring a camera.