Driving Hours.

I used to work as a Docker and still know a load of lads who still work there and the job is exempt from the 48 hr a week rule and some lads did and still do 14 or more shifts on the trot and that could be 12 hour days driving cranes or operating heavy dangerous machinery.
I once did 21 x 12 hour night shifts on the bounce and some people more, ■■■■ good money though.

Milatary flight crews black out the cockpit window on long flights and sleep or play computer games.
The anti collision alarm is set.
Looking out of a window for too long will make you go mad.There is nothing to see.
One day there will be no need for pilots.They are there to convince the passengers that somebody is in control.Peace of mind and all that.
Ryan Air boss will save a fortune in pilots wages.No pensions to pay.

Slackbladder:
Young doctors tend to do long shifts when they are starting out, I know they can ■■■■■■ a kip here & there but still, being worked on by a tired doctor is not my idea of fun. Also heard they are trying to change pilots hours to the extent that they may be required to land a plane full of passengers after 22 hours on shift, slightly harder than reversing onto a dock with a trailer full of toilet rolls I would say.

Under the new act

Flight duty time at night is cut by 45 minutes to a maximum of 11 hours
The maximum number of flying hours in 12 consecutive months is reduced from 1,300 to 1,000
Weekly rest is increased to two days instead of a day and a half, twice a month
After a significant time zone crossing, five days’ rest are granted at home base, in contrast to the two days or less allowed by some member states
Maximum duty time during airport standby (ie standby plus flight time) is fixed at 16 hours instead of the 26 or 28 allowed by some member states

The drainage industry is a job where the working day is not regulated. I drove class 2 there but they are exempt tachograph rules. It is not uncommon to start at 0730 and work until the early hours of the morning if you are at an emergency, or during & after torrential rain. In fact when on call you stay out until all jobs are completed, whatever time that is, before knocking off. No record of driving is kept or WTD books filled in. Great for the cash but poor for the sleep or any downtime.