Driving class 1 on class 2

:frowning:

You can learn in a truck that doesnā€™t meet requirements for the test such as my tractor unit I used for a day. Sure you canā€™t take your test in it so itā€™s not an ideal training vehicle.

Coffeeholic, I call it class 2 because the original poster referred to the vehicle as class 2 and most people on here donā€™t use the inferior modern terms. Intact visa still call trucks HGV and the Dsa call them LGVā€™s, go figure!

Visa!? Meant vosa.

Coffeeholic:

Secretelephant:
It just goes to show how bogged down in ever changing regulations this industry is in.

I had a disagrement with my bosses over this. I said I could drive a tractor unit home, but they no, they had spokle to the DVLA, who told them only if the 5th had been removed. :confused:
They even saw my viewpoint. Itā€™s just a rigid HGV on itā€™s own, but after what the DVLA told them you can understand that they wouldnā€™t want to risk it.
Yet I know from pervious replies on here somebody had been told by the DVLA saying yes you can.

Fastfoward 12 months, & at my recent CPC, I thought Iā€™d have a word with a supposed all knowing instructor who has been a lorriest for umpteen years, with all the driving qualifications you could think of.
ā€œNot without the fifth wheel being removedā€ was his answer to the question. :angry: :astonished:

So thatā€™s two indepent & supposed well sourced replies say no you cant drive them on a ā€œCā€.

You can bet your arse that all the enforcement agencys will have differing opinions from person to person as well , & as you may have to go to court to find the ultimate truth of whoā€™s right, then my advice would be to not to drive 'em.

Alternativly write to the DVLA & if you get a letter saying yes you can, keep it with you in case your stopped by an doubting officer. :smiling_imp:

You donā€™t need to ask the DVLA or anybody else or carry letters. This would never get as far as court as the truth is staring you in the face. Just look at the thing and ask yourself a couple of questions.

1. Is it a goods vehicle?

2. Is it pulling a trailer.

3. What licence is required to drive a goods vehicle.

4. What licence is required to drive a goods vehicle pulling a trailer.

Answer those four questions and you have the answer to this question.

It has never been the case you had to remove the 5th wheel, even in the days of Class 1, 2 and 3. The 5th wheel thing was to enable units to be driven on a car licence as removing it made it an incomplete vehicle, just like those bus chassis you used to see being driven up and down the motorway by guys looking like Michelin men and wearing crash helmets, they didnā€™t need a PSV to drive those. Would someone who doesnā€™t have the B+E category have to take the tow bar of a car? Would a class C driver have to remove the coupling from a draw bar to drive just the prime mover? Of course they wouldnā€™t so why would the 5th wheel need to be removed.

Answers

1. sƓā„¢ĆŠÅ½

2. ou

3. Ɖā€

4. Ɠā„¢+Ɖā€

Iā€™m not arguing against your logic nor accuracy Coffee. But as this question keeps being asked by new ā€œCā€ drivers & they are always being given wrong answers by ā€œpeople in the knowā€, Iā€™m just advising not to bother driving them unless they can 100% prove they are entitled to do so, & I cant see saying ā€œCoffeeholice on Trucknet said I canā€, will cut much ice.

An official link then:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ā€¦ DG_4022547

Category C: Vehicles over 3500 kg, with a trailer up to 750 kg.

Sounds like a solo unit to me :slight_smile:

Rob K:

love it

mrpj:
An official link then:

direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Dr ā€¦ DG_4022547

Category C: Vehicles over 3500 kg, with a trailer up to 750 kg.

Sounds like a solo unit to me :slight_smile:

Well, got to admit thatā€™s as clear as your going to get! :sunglasses: The answer is clear then. Take a netbook with you & show anyone giving you grief that page. :unamused: :laughing:

Now a second question. A mate of mine wants to ride his Scooter down a canal tow path. He says his fishing license allows him to that. Is he correct ? :grimacing:

mickyblue:

Rob K:

love it

Have some more:

:grimacing:

Secretelephant:
Iā€™m not arguing against your logic nor accuracy Coffee. But as this question keeps being asked by new ā€œCā€ drivers & they are always being given wrong answers by ā€œpeople in the knowā€, Iā€™m just advising not to bother driving them unless they can 100% prove they are entitled to do so, & I cant see saying ā€œCoffeeholice on Trucknet said I canā€, will cut much ice.

Any one with a basic grasp of English and eyeballs will know 100% that they are entitled to do it. Itā€™s all over the DVLA site as well.

Coffeeholic:

Secretelephant:

Any one with a basic grasp of English and eyeballs will know 100% that they are entitled to do it. Itā€™s all over the DVLA site as well.

:unamused:

Why do you let BS happen every time thereā€™s a fresh thread posted? You are mod so you can lock threads. You cna probably create stickyā€™s too, so create one with the subject ā€œCan I drive an artic unit on my class C licenceā€ and in the post body you write ā€œYes you can. The Endā€. Job done. Why is this so difficult for the mods and admins here to comprehend? It seems that you prefer to have 118 page long arguments every week on the same subject instead and I donā€™t get why. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Coffeeholic:

Secretelephant:

Coffee is right.

If you are in doubt, ring the police or VOSA, speak to a warranted officer and ask them the question and to note it in their pocket book. Then when you are stopped there is a legal reference point.

As stated earlier, if a car has a towbar on, do you need +E entitlement to drive it?

Rob K:

Coffeeholic:

Secretelephant:

Why do you let BS happen every time thereā€™s a fresh thread posted? You are mod so you can lock threads. You cna probably create stickyā€™s too, so create one with the subject ā€œCan I drive an artic unit on my class C licenceā€ and in the post body you write ā€œYes you can. The Endā€. Job done.

I can and could but really canā€™t be arsed. :wink: It wouldnā€™t cure the problem anyway because people donā€™t use the search function or read the stickies so the question would still get posted.

Edit: I had did as requested. CLICKY

zippy!:

Coffeeholic:

Secretelephant:

Coffee is right.

If you are in doubt, ring the police or VOSA, speak to a warranted officer and ask them the question and to note it in their pocket book. Then when you are stopped there is a legal reference pointā€¦

Why waste their time? Anyone who has doubts about this and canā€™t comprehend the bleeding obvious probably shouldnā€™t be out without their carer anyway, never mind driving large vehicles. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

Coffeeholic:

Rob K:

Coffeeholic:

Secretelephant:

Why do you let BS happen every time thereā€™s a fresh thread posted? You are mod so you can lock threads. You cna probably create stickyā€™s too, so create one with the subject ā€œCan I drive an artic unit on my class C licenceā€ and in the post body you write ā€œYes you can. The Endā€. Job done.

I can and could but really canā€™t be arsed. :wink: It wouldnā€™t cure the problem anyway because people donā€™t use the search function or read the stickies so the question would still get posted.

Edit: I had did as requested. CLICKY

Good stuff, and not before time. :stuck_out_tongue: I knew that CBA was the reason :stuck_out_tongue: . They may not use the search function, but you will have the link to it in your bookmarks :stuck_out_tongue: ready to launch it at the next numpty that asks so itā€™s job done. Should be thankful really - if Rog was still here this thread wouldā€™ve been on page 186 by now :open_mouth: :sunglasses: .

Why donā€™t we make in a sticky ? or even better have a frequently asked questions topic ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Lycanthrope:
Why donā€™t we make in a sticky ? or even better have a frequently asked questions topic ? :stuck_out_tongue:

The Honourable Gentleman may wish to click on THIS. :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

Where is Rog BTW?

I figure that heā€™s either on a long holiday, or Rob K finally pushed him into a hissy fit.

the maoster:
Where is Rog BTW?

Rog who? :wink:

the maoster:
Where is Rog BTW?

I figure that heā€™s either on a long holiday, or Rob K finally pushed him into a hissy fit.

ROG has decided not to post on here any more, so I think your first guess was closer to the truth than your second. :wink:

Coffeeholic:

the maoster:
Where is Rog BTW?

ROG has decided not to post on here any more, so I think your first guess was closer to the truth than your second. :wink:

Oh dear. See, spill one cup of coffee on your lap top and you miss all the fireworks while youā€™re away. :smiley: