Driving assessments.

Own Account Driver:

albion1971:

cheekymonkey:
You wont know what the assessment will be like till you get there. Theyre all different. Ranging from the most basic, to the driving test type where you darent even speak to the guy! Ive had em all. If you finish it and the guy says, “yeh, that was ok. You just need to use your mirrors a bit more”…that means he couldnt fault you on anything!! Ive had that twice. Once with Wincanton and once with Morrisons. They MUST “find” something wrong or it will diminish their sense of self importance and one-upmanship which comes with the assessors job.
As for the money, thats pish poor, but if there`s nowt else in your area, you might use it as a bit of experience… in cricketing terms, getting a single to get you off the mark! Then push on somewhere else if and when.
Good luck.

cheeky monkey if an assessor says you need to use your mirrors a bit more it means exactly that in most cases.The majority of qualified drivers are weak on their mirrors.
What makes you think all assessors are full of their own self importance? Maybe some of the unqualified ones might be but if they have been trained properly they will assess the driver accurately and give an honest debrief.I have done 1000’s of assessments over the years and it is extremely rare a driver will give a perfect drive.(nerves usually play a part)
Maybe the problem is your not as good as you think you are as with so many!

Oh do [zb] off will you, no-one’s interested.

I imagine you like one of those folk you meet at work who are always complaining about health and safety and working practices but are actually the one most likely to cause an accident.

Forgive me if I am wrong but is this not a forum? A place where subjects can be discussed and opinions given.
That is exactly what I was doing and have as much right to do that as you or anyone else.
You imagine what you want I do not really care.I never seem to see you contribute anything worthwhile apart from abuse.
I would imagine you are jealous underachiever by the way but I might be completely wrong like you.

Driving assessments can be tricky because the assessor has to remember what type of driving they are looking for such as DSA style, Advanced style or simply a Safe style

I’ve done 2 in 2 weeks, 1 for a job I was offered and then turned down, 1 for agency where I start today.

1st 1 was connect a trailer, drive around Widnes, reverse into bay back at yard.

2nd 1 was full vehicle check, water, oil, tyres, mot, o’licence (including the registration), tax disc (including the registration), the works, connect trailer, drive around a set course to close to test standards - crossing arms was permitted, back into the yard, blind side into a bay, good side reverse into another bay, straight reverse into a 3rd bay, drop trailer, park up unit.
I passed but I did clip a kurb - that was tight but I know I could’ve got around without clipping it, if I’d mounted it I’d have failed.
He also marked me down for not using a handbrake on a roundabout and for not stopping when a pedestrian approached a zebra crossing.

I’ve done others that have been pretty basic, check vehicle, hook up trailer, drive around.

Only 1 I’ve ever failed was for Iceland DHL at Warrington, and he failed me for not getting out and looking before blind side reversing into a space, even though I’d approached, it was clear, and full observational use knew it was clear, but he wanted me to get out, walk behind the truck, make sure nobody had magically appeared, walk back to my cab (at which point someone could actually walk behind my truck IMHO) climb in and continue maneuver.
I told him he was a bit of a ■■■■ and we parted ways without a handshake.
I don’t mind being picked up on stuff I’ve done wrong, I don’t claim to be perfect, but to fail an assessment for not doing anything wrong was bang out of order

waynedl:
I’ve done 2 in 2 weeks, 1 for a job I was offered and then turned down, 1 for agency where I start today.

1st 1 was connect a trailer, drive around Widnes, reverse into bay back at yard.

2nd 1 was full vehicle check, water, oil, tyres, mot, o’licence (including the registration), tax disc (including the registration), the works, connect trailer, drive around a set course to close to test standards - crossing arms was permitted, back into the yard, blind side into a bay, good side reverse into another bay, straight reverse into a 3rd bay, drop trailer, park up unit.
I passed but I did clip a kurb - that was tight but I know I could’ve got around without clipping it, if I’d mounted it I’d have failed.
He also marked me down for not using a handbrake on a roundabout and for not stopping when a pedestrian approached a zebra crossing.

I’ve done others that have been pretty basic, check vehicle, hook up trailer, drive around.

Only 1 I’ve ever failed was for Iceland DHL at Warrington, and he failed me for not getting out and looking before blind side reversing into a space, even though I’d approached, it was clear, and full observational use knew it was clear, but he wanted me to get out, walk behind the truck, make sure nobody had magically appeared, walk back to my cab (at which point someone could actually walk behind my truck IMHO) climb in and continue maneuver.
I told him he was a bit of a ■■■■ and we parted ways without a handshake.
I don’t mind being picked up on stuff I’ve done wrong, I don’t claim to be perfect, but to fail an assessment for not doing anything wrong was bang out of order

Some of what you say is quite interesting.The main problem with assessments as has been discussed before is that some companies select what they think is their best driver.He may have a good record with no accidents but that does not mean he is properly qualified to assess another driver.
Most companies will not go to the expense of getting in a qualified person and hence you end up with a great variation in results which are only the perception of what the unqualified person thinks and probably in most cases not very accurate.
cheeky monkey mentioned some assessors seem to full of their self importance and I have seen this type before but normally they are the ones not qualified to do the job.
When it comes to assessing a driver for a company there is a certain procedure and that depends on the company requirements.
Most companies are just happy that the driver in question can handle the vehicle safely and competently.It should never be conducted like a driving test.

albion1971:
Most companies are just happy that the driver in question can handle the vehicle safely and competently.It should never be conducted like a driving test.

THIS ^^^^

ROG:

albion1971:

THIS ^^^^

Hmmm…Something to say? Do you disagree or can you only give out facts and figures?
I can explain why a driver going for an assessment for a driving job should not be treated like a test candidate.
There are several very good reasons.

albion1971:

ROG:

albion1971:

THIS ^^^^

Hmmm…Something to say? Do you disagree? I can explain why a driver going for an assessment for a driving job should not be treated like a test candidate.

I just agreed with you

ROG:

albion1971:

ROG:

albion1971:

THIS ^^^^

Hmmm…Something to say? Do you disagree? I can explain why a driver going for an assessment for a driving job should not be treated like a test candidate.

I just agreed with you

Ok…Sorry

DrivingMissDaisy:

bazza b:
You would be surprised how many folk come for assessments after paying 3k plus for a licence and cant even hook up to the trl , have no idea how to use the air suspension or that the middle axle can be raised etc etc. Money was rubbish but is now £9 hr basic £10.95 overtime plus more for wkends . by the way the jobs a piece of ■■■■ and most of the planners are decent blokes.

Bit of a jump since October. Must have been struggling to keep drivers… :slight_smile:

Huntapac a piece of ■■■■?.. Ive got 6 mths class 1 experience on tippers im starting on fridges night shift working out of haydock RDC for sainsburys… Is it easier than bulk aggregates tippers push push push if u catch my drift mate

ROG:

albion1971:

THIS ^^^^

The assessment at M&S at Warrington,was ten times worse than any driving test Ive ever done.The assessor was the biggest gobsh1te Ive ever come across,in 15 yrs of driving!!

iankav:

ROG:

albion1971:

THIS ^^^^

The assessment at M&S at Warrington,was ten times worse than any driving test Ive ever done.The assessor was the biggest gobsh1te Ive ever come across,in 15 yrs of driving!!

It is fairly obvious that most of the people commenting on here have no idea about assessments or how they should be carried out.

I mean how can an assessment be 10 times worse than a driving test unless of course your driving is really bad!

Someone mentioned the assessor was telling them how to use cruise control.An assessor should only comment on something if it is being used but not in the correct manner.

As I have said before some of these so called assessors are just drivers with a big ego and no qualifications to do the job.

If you are asked to do an assessment ask what qualifications the assessor has before going out.Most of the time you will find they are no more qualified than you.

iankav:

ROG:

albion1971:

THIS ^^^^

Biggest or littlest?

I’ve done a bit of work for M+S and found them to be decent mostly, also I’ve collected in there a lot of nights as part of another job I did and still had a good crack with them, but I mainly dealt with the warehouse side, even as a driver for them.

I’ve had words here and there about things with them, but always been dealt with satisfactorily

I did a tesco(wincanton) assessment 3 weeks ago in a class 2, it was the first time ide driven (other than an artic training assessment) since my test 6 weeks previously. usually its a case of they do a competency test on paper then take you for a 40 min drive and then explain how to do the job and you have to sign a load of paperwork but on the day i went they had a problem finding a vehicle so we did what they used to do and replaced the 40 min drive with a store delivery . went to a brand new store that the assessor didnt even know where it was that included a very tight service road and very tight reverse, dealt with them fine but thought i had ballsed up the drive when the nerves got to me :confused: did a quick exercise putting it on a bay before leaving the rdc and he did the old cup of coffee on the engine hump trick :wink: lol but other than that nothing major

got back to the rdc expecting a thanks but no thanks but we sat down had a chat he said ide passed and just chill out, there was a back road corner that i had taken a little bit fast that i totally agreed with so he put a minor on his sheet for speed and that was it, 5.30am the next morning and into london i went :wink:lol

the guy i had was primarily a driver trainer/assessor but still worked as a driver when needed which certainly showed so was very much still in touch with the real world :wink:

now about to start my 4th week driving for a living and doing 90% london ( mostly tesco but had work in a 7.5 and a 26ton scaffold wagon) has been stressful at times but in alot of ways a good way to learn

luckily i grew up in my ole mans trucks and more recently when he started driving again went with him as effectively a trainee driver learning as much as i could so i wasnt as green as many are but without that things may have been a different story. expecting new drivings to deal with not only getting used to the vehicle but navigating with the truck size in mind, deal with driving hours, the load and paperwork all at the same is a bit of an ask i am fortunate in that when i started i was quite happy with the none driving work shall we say so i can concentrate on learning the ropes driving different vehicles :wink:

Good to hear some assessments are done properly and by someone that obviously knows how to carry out one.
These nobs that are full of their self importance need to be weeded out.
Companies need to have properly qualified assessors otherwise assessments just become a joke.