Drivers working hours and driving hours

gothika:

tachograph:

gothika:
for example in one day i drive 4 & half hrs break- 45 mins drive 2 hr -unload -1 hr drive another -2 & half hrs then 11 hrs min rest out of 24 hrs that leaves 3 and a quarter hrs left,

You’re free to start work again as soon as you’ve completed the required daily rest period, you could say that the 24 hour period begins when you start work and ends when you’ve completed the required daily rest period.

are you sure thats right m8, saying 24 period when you start work say 8 am if you finnished driving and had 11 hrs min rest this would be end of 24 hr period even if it worked out at 21 and a quarter hrs i know i can start driving again once my 11 hrs rest is up. thank you

The regulations require that you have a daily rest period within 24 hours from the end of the previous daily or weekly rest period, so yes I’m sure that’s right :wink:

A driver must take a daily rest period within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily or weekly rest period.

Coffeeholic:

gothika:

tachograph:
You’re free to start work again as soon as you’ve completed the required daily rest period, you could say that the 24 hour period begins when you start work and ends when you’ve completed the required daily rest period.

are you sure thats right m8, saying 24 period when you start work say 8 am if you finnished driving and had 11 hrs min rest this would be end of 24 hr period even if it worked out at 21 and a quarter hrs i know i can start driving again once my 11 hrs rest is up. thank you

Tachograph is correct, a new 24 hour period begins when you resume work after a rest period.

Coffeeholics right… he is normally sorry always right…!!

gothika:

tachograph:

Tachograph is correct, a new 24 hour period begins when you resume work after a rest period. You could say that in the same way a 45 minute break wipes the slate clean for calculating the 4.5 hour driving period a daily rest wipes the slate clean as far as the 24 hour period goes.

For example.

Week 1
Day 1 Monday

Start work at 06:00 after a regular weekly rest period of at least 45 hours

You must have a continuous rest period of at least 9 hours before 06:00 on Day 2, so the latest you can work until today is 21:00, or 19:00 if you do not wish to reduce your daily rest.

You finish work at 17:00 and take a rest period of 11 hours.

Day 2 Tuesday

Resume work at 04:00

This means you must have taken a daily rest period of at least 9 hours before 04:00 on Day 3, so the latest you can work until today is 19:00, or 17:00 if you do not wish to reduce your daily rest.

Finish work at 17:00 and take a rest period of 9 hours. (1st allowed daily rest reduction)

Day 3 Wednesday

Resume work at 02:00.

This means you must have taken a daily rest period of at least 9 hours before 02:00 on Day 4, so the latest you can work until today is 17:00, or 15:00 if you do not wish to reduce your daily rest.

9.5 hours driving today which is the first of the 2 extended driving days you are allowed in the week.

Finish work at 17:00. Regardless of how much rest you now actually take you are using another reduced rest period because from 17:00 on Day 3 to 02:00 on Day 4 is only 9 hours. (2nd allowed daily rest reduction)

Day 4 Thursday

Resume work at 06:00

This means you must have taken a daily rest period of at least 9 hours before 06:00 on Day 5, so the latest you can work until today is 21:00, or 19:00 if you do not wish to reduce your daily rest.

9 hours and 10 minutes driving today which is the second and final extended driving day you are allowed this week. No more extended driving days until the new fixed week starts at 24:00 Sunday.

Finish work at 21:00. Regardless of how much rest you now actually take you are using the final reduced rest period available to you because from 21:00 on Day 4 to 06:00 on Day 5 is only 9 hours. (3rd and final allowed daily rest reduction, no more reductions are allowed until you complete a weekly rest period)

Day 5 Friday

Resume work at 08:00

This means you must have taken a daily rest period of at least 11 hours before 08:00 on Day 6 so you cannot work later than 21:00 today. If you work later than 21:00 today there will not be 11 hours left before 08:00 on Day 6.

Finish work at 18:00.

Day 6 Saturday

Resume work at 06:00

This is your 6th 24 hour period so you must start a weekly rest period at the end of today’s shift but you still have to observe the rules on daily rest and as you have used all the reductions currently available to you you cannot work later than19:00 today. This one catches a lot of people out because they incorrectly think the rules on daily rest do not apply as they are starting a weekly rest period. If you finish later than 19:00 there will not be 11 hours left before the 24 hour period ends at 06:00 on Day 7 and this would be counted as a reduced daily rest. This would attract an infringement as you have no reductions left.

Finish work at 18:00 and commence the daily rest period of 11 hours which will be extended into a weekly rest period. You have the option of taking a reduced weekly rest period of between 24 hours and 45 or a full weekly rest period of at least 45 hours.

The earliest you can resume work is 18:00 on Day 7 (Sunday) if taking a reduced weekly rest or 15:00 on Monday if taking a regular weekly rest period. Starting any time between 18:00 Sunday and 15:00 Monday will be a reduced weekly rest period and the number of hours you have reduced by, from 45 hours, will need to be compensated for by attaching them, in one block, to another daily or weekly rest period of at least 9 hours before the end of week 4.

Week 2
Day1 Monday

Resume work at 08:00 so you have taken a reduced weekly rest period of 38 hours, leaving 7 hours which will have to be attached to another rest period before the end of week 4. As you have completed a weekly rest period you now have a further 3 daily rest reductions available to you before your next weekly rest period and as it is also new fixed week you have 2x10 hour driving days available before 24:00 Sunday.

Hope that helps make it a little clearer for you and I think I have all the timings right, I’ve read through it twice and I think I have the math right. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

thank you all i,ve got it all sussed now thank you very much all of you for helping me out on this, i,ve learnt loads on this forum just by asking. i,ll be pleased when i get my lessons in feb and hope to pass my test first time, then i can use all this information when i start work, as im pretty sure the firm i,ll be working for i,ll be working away from base. thank you everyone and merry xmas and a happy and prosporous new year to you all. just sussing best sat nav to buy now , on has anyone tried one of these post thanx