Drivers Health Warning

xichrisxi:

UKtramp:
he told me to get it as this is a serious and the NHS are giving it away for free to the vulnerable

The flu jab has always been free for vulnerable people,I’ve had it for the last 2 years as has my son and wife to protect my wife.

Yes I know it has, I was answering Grumpy_old_truckers question.

Maybe good advice for some, although generally tends to be older people that are more suseptible as their immune system may not be so good.
By the way the cold weather does not give you the flu like some think although that is when the virus is most prevalent.
It can cost up to £20 depending where you go. I am lucky because I have been getting mine for about 10 years because I was diagnosed as asthmatic.
Then about 3 years ago a different doctor said I was not asthmatic but I still get the jab every year.(bonus) Best plan for most is to keep out of range of people coughing and sneezing especially the ones that do not cover their mouths.

Easier said than done, ever been speaking to someone and they suddenly cough or sneeze ? Go into an office or a shop and same happens again. It is not simple to avoid people unless of course you stay in your house until you get the all clear. This particular flue has claimed the lives off relatively healthy people and not just the vulnerable. Even if you get it as a healthy person it is still very nasty and will lose your wages as you have no chance of working. It has also caused a lot of pneumonia to those healthy people. I think the jab is well worth the money as an insurance, not a 100% guarantee policy granted, but it is the best deterrent we have and if it helps avoiding getting it, then surely that price alone is well worth it. Certainly advice I will be taking heed of.

In 2014 bird flu was meant to kill millions. Doctors advised taking precautions. Millions did not die.

There is always a killer strain of something about that doctor panic about. Unless you are old or fragile it shouldn’t concern you much.
Also I’m not going to take anyone’s word for Gospel because that would be moronic. Although I believe it is real and bad. But like I said most are and most things are.
Greater chance of coming off my motorcycle then dying of flu doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop riding as a preventive measure.

If doctors ruled the country we would be popping pills having jabs every other day for preventative reasons.

Sent from mobile spelling and grammar off.

I had flu as a you’ff, couldn’t move for 3days, I now get the flu jab for free, due to a couple of conditions, I would pay if I had to, its the cost of breakfast, but then there are those who believe in the conspiracy theories, banned did about on tinternt, that its a waste of money, we’ll when you get flu, and need to have a week off to recover, guess what you’ve been told.

adam277:
In 2014 bird flu was meant to kill millions. Doctors advised taking precautions. Millions did not die.

There is always a killer strain of something about that doctor panic about. Unless you are old or fragile it shouldn’t concern you much.
Also I’m not going to take anyone’s word for Gospel because that would be moronic. Although I believe it is real and bad. But like I said most are and most things are.
Greater chance of coming off my motorcycle then dying of flu doesn’t mean I’m gonna stop riding as a preventive measure.

If doctors ruled the country we would be popping pills having jabs every other day for preventative reasons.

Doesn’t mean getting flue will kill you although it is possible, it is the fact of being seriously ill and the downside of a loss of earnings. If your tramping then it is the last thing you want whilst away. Just advice that’s all buddy.

UKtramp:

adam277:

Doesn’t mean getting flue will kill you although it is possible, it is the fact of being seriously ill and the downside of a loss of earnings. If your tramping then it is the last thing you want whilst away. Just advice that’s all buddy.

*FLU ffs

IndigoJo:
Not taking the ■■■■ at all: the flu jabs that are available now will be of no use against a new strain of influenza that comes from pigs or birds and is hybridised with a current human flu strain. They are developed to fight viruses that currently exist or at least are known of. The new flu will be deadly precisely because it’s new, and we have no immunity to it, much as was the case with the 1918 flu pandemic. In time a new jab will get developed, but thousands will die first, whether here or anywhere else.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

You are talking through your hat (or some other part of your anatomy). Each year, a global flu surveillance team - with input from WHO (World Health Organisation) flu labs in Atlanta, London, Melbourne and Tokyo - tries to predict which strains of the virus are most likely to be prevalent in the coming year. Information from the analysis of thousands of influenza viruses identified by the different laboratories is pooled and, on the basis of this, the WHO advises governments on the vaccine composition for the next season.

Three key strains of flu virus are identified by WHO to be incorporated into a “trivalent” vaccine that will tackle the predicted forthcoming strains. These recommendations are made six months in advance of the flu season so that pharmaceuticals companies have enough time to make and distribute the vaccine.

Santa:

IndigoJo:
Not taking the ■■■■ at all: the flu jabs that are available now will be of no use against a new strain of influenza that comes from pigs or birds and is hybridised with a current human flu strain. They are developed to fight viruses that currently exist or at least are known of. The new flu will be deadly precisely because it’s new, and we have no immunity to it, much as was the case with the 1918 flu pandemic. In time a new jab will get developed, but thousands will die first, whether here or anywhere else.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

You are talking through your hat (or some other part of your anatomy). Each year, a global flu surveillance team - with input from WHO (World Health Organisation) flu labs in Atlanta, London, Melbourne and Tokyo - tries to predict which strains of the virus are most likely to be prevalent in the coming year. Information from the analysis of thousands of influenza viruses identified by the different laboratories is pooled and, on the basis of this, the WHO advises governments on the vaccine composition for the next season.

Three key strains of flu virus are identified by WHO to be incorporated into a “trivalent” vaccine that will tackle the predicted forthcoming strains. These recommendations are made six months in advance of the flu season so that pharmaceuticals companies have enough time to make and distribute the vaccine.

So which pharmaceutical producer are you on a backhander from?

I gave up on the idea of the flu jab as in some people at least it seems to trigger a flu like reaction and i really don’t want to spend a week off work having paid for the privilege.

So far in 40 odd years never caught the flu, don’t personally know anyone who has (real flu that is) and dont have any of the conditions which are listed as needing the jab…think i’ll skip it.

I figure if things like polio, tetanus and such are free on NHS, then flu jabs can’t be that important.

UKtramp:

adam277:

Wont obviously stop a strain of flu but will keep colds away, A-Z multi vitamin daily (Holland and Barratt ones have all the essential vit and minerals and some) plus 25mg of zinc daily, i also take 200mg ferrous sulphate daily. Zinc is good for skin and hair plus…the all important nails…

theguardian.com/society/201 … u-outbreak

Quoting from above link.
Richard Peabody of Public Health England.
“Children aged 2 to 8, health care workers and those over 65 should therefore take the vaccine”.

Or take the advice of a chimney sweep if you wish to know about “flues”.

Edit,typo

trevHCS:
I gave up on the idea of the flu jab as in some people at least it seems to trigger a flu like reaction and i really don’t want to spend a week off work having paid for the privilege.

My old Mum used to have the flu jab every year and suffer for it. Then one autumn she told me she wasn’t having it anymore because it made her feel so ill for two weeks afterwards and that she’d rather take the risk. It was like it gave her full blown flu anyway.

The NHS are predicting a higher number of people with flue this year but I’m not sure it has nothing to do with some new particularly vicious type of flue in the southern hemisphere.

The fact is that in the southern hemisphere countries there have been an unusual number of flue cases reported this winter, based on this the same is expected to happen in the northern hemisphere countries.

Australia are just coming out of their winter and are reporting double the amount of flue cases compared to last year, from previous experience it’s now expected that the UK will also have a higher than usual number of cases of flue this winter.

I used to get lingering bad colds every year until about 4 years ago when I started having the flue vaccination, I haven’t had a bad cold since and as I had the flue jab this morning hopefully this year won’t be any different :slight_smile:

Doctors used to advice, yah even advertise, smoking cigarettes, “to ease your chest”…
Doctors have prescribed antibiotics for everything, from pneumonia to stubbed toes, and now we struggle to even keep people alive in hospitals…

the nodding donkey:
Doctors used to advice, yah even advertise, smoking cigarettes, “to ease your chest”…
Doctors have prescribed antibiotics for everything, from pneumonia to stubbed toes, and now we struggle to even keep people alive in hospitals…

Given the number of people who die in hospitals they must be one of the most dangerous places for ill people to go.

xichrisxi:

UKtramp:

adam277:

*FLU ffs

Yes flu, I am so used to cleaning chimneys I get mistaken

Santa:

I will relay this info to my brother in law who has not got your knowledge, he oddly enough has never warned me before about this, I will take his advice rather than yours to be honest. I think he may just repeat what you have said back though. We will see.

Franglais:

the nodding donkey:

Given the number of people who die in hospitals they must be one of the most dangerous places for ill people to go.

That is true and any doctor would agree with you.

Although I am elegible for the jab free of charge due to previous heart problems and age, I wont be having it. Every time, and I mean every time, I have had it, it brings on a bout of flu, followed be endless back to back head colds that floor me.

I took advice from a German friend who has similar health problems to me, and I take a daily dose of Magnesium and also VB2 tablets. This I have done for the last two years and not so much as a sniffle.