Drivers assessment

robroy:
Btw how exactly was he ‘‘forcing’’ you to do it??
If I’d have felt as bad about it as you,.I’d have told him to [zb] off.

after first trailer i asked shouldnt we go to motorway or do sthg else and he said no, we nee to bring another trailer “I need trailers”.

btw i didnt “pass”

cooper1203:
I get the imprestion that its just a check box exersise and a way to get rid of people they dont like the look of so might as well do somthing useful

this

I’m thinking of starting up again in the Business - Snowflake Transport.

Carryfast will be head of recruitment - if you turn up for an assessment with a walking stick and a limp you’ve got the job.

(Apologies to those with a genuine disability and still do jobs that CF would avoid because you might have to lift a finger)

whisperingsmith:
I’m thinking of starting up again in the Business - Snowflake Transport.

Carryfast will be head of recruitment - if you turn up for an assessment with a walking stick and a limp you’ve got the job.

(Apologies to those with a genuine disability and still do jobs that CF would avoid because you might have to lift a finger)

I might devil advocate that starting my very own business with unpaid assessment and part of the assessment being driving to said amazon depo trailer swap and then unfortunely your unsuccessful

Skndlz:
btw i didnt “pass”

Genuine question, did that ^^^ come as a surprise? I’m not in any way having a pop mate, but I suspect that you probably have a skill set more suitable to a different career. There’s no shame in that btw, I’d be a rubbish window fitter or plasterer for example.

Skndlz:

robroy:
Btw how exactly was he ‘‘forcing’’ you to do it??
If I’d have felt as bad about it as you,.I’d have told him to [zb] off.

after first trailer i asked shouldnt we go to motorway or do sthg else and he said no, we nee to bring another trailer “I need trailers”.

btw i didnt “pass”

Ok, .maybe your disapproval of his methods came across to the assessor. your driving was maybe fine, , but it was the ‘attitude test’ that you didn’t pass.
At least you all be more ‘‘on it’’ next time, my advice would be to do whatever tf they ask (within reason of course) and just get on with it whilst appearing keen and willing.
(Assuming you want the job on offer of course)

can’t belive you lot aint spotted the troll… :unamused:

Just got back from a assessment drive with Wincanton. Took about 1 hour and the assessor knew I have spent the last 10 years on wag and drag so was understanding that I was a bit rusty. But after the first 10 mins it all clicked back in and the drive was uneventfull.
I am firmly in the camp that the assessors are looking more at the attitude of potential recruits rather than the driving. We have all passed our tests and know how to drive, but I believe they are looking more in to how you deal with certain situations and if your work attitude is good or if it stinks!

Longest assessment I’ve done.

Assessment on agency for RHM (flour), had to wait over an hour for Assessor to come back from first drop. Then we took loaded tanker to bakery on other side of Manchester, tipped and returned to depot.

As we had not been trained, we couldn’t load or tip tankers. It was just double manning down to Southampton and Barry, due to issues with the mill at Trafford Park.

I was let off with a driving assessment when I came for this job would you believe.
I’d just came over from Luxembourg doing multi drops between Hull.and Carlisle (where I called in for the pre.arranged interview) while on my way over to Ireland to do more drops.

I drove in their yard with a left ■■■■■■ with a kooiap/moffit on the back and had to do a blindside park between two of their trucks (yard parking designed for right hand drive)
I saw the guy watching out of the window and I got in first time (more luck than skill btw :laughing: )
I talked to him for about half an hour (obviously passed the attitude rest) waiting to get instructions for the test drive (dreading it btw as I was well used to left hookers at that time :unamused: ) to which he said…
, ‘‘After watching you backing in there,.and as you’re driving over here in that thing out there, .I reckon you’ll be ok without a test drive’’ and offered me a job there and then… :open_mouth:

My intention was to be temporary until Brit European took me back on, but they packed in at Zeebrugge, .so I’ve been here ever since… for 14 bloody years. :open_mouth: :unamused:
Didn’t ever see that coming btw. :neutral_face:

I cant believe the amount of people condoning this behaviour. Inadequate assessment doesn’t give the applicant true opportunity to demonstrate their skills and is just plain corruption.

Isnt there a DVSA guidance of appropriate driving assessment that the employers should adhere to? I was only being assessed for coupling/uncoupling and a 10 min local drive.

m.a.n rules:

Beginning to wonder. :smiley:

m.a.n rules:

Judging by how many people indulged the posts of the guy who claimed he was entitled to drive a truck even though he had some kind of under-the counter medical cannabis “prescription”, I think TN members are sometimes more trusting than they ought to be.

If OP is genuine, then they’re probably not going to feel very settled in an industry which is renowned for taking the mick out of the work force.

Personally I can’t see a problem with getting a newbie to do some actual loads, considering the price of fuel, and any newbie who is getting the chance of an assessment should definitely pay more attention to the unspoken “attitude test” part of the day.

Zac_A:

m.a.n rules:

Judging by how many people indulged the posts of the guy who claimed he was entitled to drive a truck even though he had some kind of under-the counter medical cannabis “prescription”, I think TN members are sometimes more trusting than they ought to be.

If OP is genuine, then they’re probably not going to feel very settled in an industry which is renowned for taking the mick out of the work force.

Personally I can’t see a problem with getting a newbie to do some actual loads, considering the price of fuel, and any newbie who is getting the chance of an assessment should definitely pay more attention to the unspoken “attitude test” part of the day.

He mentions a 10 minute drive.
I’ve done assessments in the distant past, …ok fair enough those were in the days of older trucks where you required an element of skill, ( unlike today where your Nan would be able to get in and drive a one if she could drive a car) and I found usually in the first 5 ro 10 mins you had got the guy sussed as to whether or not he was a ‘‘driver’’.

Yes, I’d go with that, you know fairly quickly if someone has what you’re looking for, and two drives of 10 mins each way would be more than enough time to make a reasonable judgement.

My last assessment drive that I can recall (with DHL) was no more than about 30 minutes all told. I got the impression they were just looking to eliminate the type who palm the wheel and hammer the fuel & brakes. All their vehicles were on Microlise so it was basically an initial weeding process I reckoned.

I used to be employed by DHL. They invited me to apply to be a Driver Assessor in addition to my regular role as a Driver. I did their training (3 days in Bristol IIRC, staying in a Holiday Inn type hotel with expenses paid) and also did a small number of assessments before I told them to stuff it as I was being required to do the assessments (and all the paperwork etc attached) in addition to doing my regular driving work with no time allowance for the assessment stuff.

At the time I had held my Group C licence for about 7 years, C+E for only about 2 years.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

robroy:

Zac_A:

m.a.n rules:

He mentions a 10 minute drive.
I’ve done assessments in the distant past, …ok fair enough those were in the days of older trucks where you required an element of skill, ( unlike today where your Nan would be able to get in and drive a one if she could drive a car) and I found usually in the first 5 ro 10 mins you had got the guy sussed as to whether or not he was a ‘‘driver’’.

if it was a driving license type assessment I wouldn’t complain, but I was told from the outset that were only gonna haul two empty trailers from the garage. And by the way I dont recall making any substantial mistakes, maybe connecting air hoses in wrong sequence. So basically I wasnt given a chance to demonstrate my motorway driving skills, which would give the assessor the whole picture.

Roymondo:
I used to be employed by DHL. They invited me to apply to be a Driver Assessor in addition to my regular role as a Driver. I did their training (3 days in Bristol IIRC, staying in a Holiday Inn type hotel with expenses paid) and also did a small number of assessments before I told them to stuff it as I was being required to do the assessments (and all the paperwork etc attached) in addition to doing my regular driving work with no time allowance for the assessment stuff.

At the time I had held my Group C licence for about 7 years, C+E for only about 2 years.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Would you care to share with us the protocol that you’re required to follow, if any, or you are allowed to fail the applicant on the first minor mistake? Thanks

Zac_A:

m.a.n rules:

“taking the mick” might’ve worked with this ■■■■ comapny that I applied for, but would you feel the same iF you applied for a great company with +50000 salary and great benefits? Wouldnt you be ■■■■■■ that you werent given a proper opportunity?

Ok then, whether or not you agreed with their method of assessment,.did they offer you a job?
I’m assuming they didn’t.
I would think that unless you did something terribly drastic, that you can’t make too many mistakes on a short drive, enough to make them decide they didn’t want you anyway …so do you maybe think they did not like your attitude in you maybe clearly disaproving of their methods of assesment for a start ?
If that is so have you learned anything in relation to your approach to your next assesment somewhere?
Not meaning to cause offence here btw, more trying to help you see why they maybe did not ask you back. :bulb: