Drivers and directions

They always seem to forget the low bridge when giving directions too!

We used to have a driver who whenever he was giving directions, and he came to saying whether you should go left or right, he would tap the back of each and twice and mutter ‘left, left, right, right’ to himself before saying whether you needed to turn left or right. Didn’t inspire too much confidence in his directions. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I live in a dead end road off of a roundabout and approaching the roundabout from the M1 direction you would turn left to enter my road and right takes you towards Asda. Few months ago a little after midnight I hear the sound of a truck engine and look out to see an Asda artic filling the street and a driver standing beside it looking confused. I wander out to offer assistance and he says ‘I’m looking for Asda.’ Well I had a good look around and replied, ‘It’s not here.’ :wink: :smiley:

He says the directions he had been given was to come to the roundabout and turn right. I said which way did you come and he indicates he came from the M1 direction. ‘Well you turned left then mate, you need to go back down to the roundabout and go that way,’ I said indicating the road to Asda. ‘No, no I turned right he said.’ ‘Err no you turned left, look at it.’ No I turned right I think the lad who gave me directions was messing about.’ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

We get his truck out of the street which involved reversing down the road and into a road on the left (or was it the right. :wink: :slight_smile: ) No mean feat I can tell you as his reversing was about as good as his sense of direction. I asked if he was OK know and knew which way to go, pointing once more to the road he needed to take. ‘Yes,’ came the confident reply at which point he went down to the roundabout and turned left instead of going straight over. :unamused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I half expected to see him back again but he didn’t appear so he either found it or is still out there. :smiley: :smiley:

n a similae vain Coffee, at the bottom of our road is a Morrison formerly Safeway store, the goods in is 100yards in ot our road, this happened when they were changing names, and our road is a dead end as well. One Saturday night a few months ago, Mrs snax says to me theirs an artic on our road, dont be silly i retort must just be large removal truck, gets up to have a look anyway, [zb] theres an artic in the road, TO;D YOU. So i go out to lend a helping hand,
me, Hi mate bit lost

driver Yes looking for morrisons

me, its at the end of the road,

driver, so ikeep going then

me, no you past it on the way in

driver, no thats safeway

me, but morrisons have brought them out dont you watch the news

driver, oh yeah, were can i turn round

me, nowhere youll have back down, ill’ see you back.

Well i dont think this guy was very used to going in reverse, but he got there in the end. Although i still think that he shouldve put 2 &2 together and realised where he was going. :wink:

I try not to ask for directions as the majority of the general public are stupid, so if i have to ask i make sure its either a postman/wench :wink: or a cabbie And i definatly wont ask the plod as its just unnatural to talk to them :laughing: :laughing:

simon

Not in a truck, when we went to Ireland on motorbikes. We asked diretions. Once he’d finished giving them, the bloke scratched his head, turned around from the direction he’d been gesticulating towards and uttered these immortal words “you may be better going that way though :unamused:.”

We knew we were scuppered when he did that :grimacing:.

SimonRS2K:
And i definatly wont ask the plod as its just unnatural to talk to them :laughing: :laughing:

simon

:laughing: Good lad :exclamation: :smiling_imp:

see the signature below :unamused: :unamused:

I’m sorry, I don’t actually live here, I’m just visiting!’

How many times have I heard that?

one of our drivers got lost in bolton town centre looking for croal depot late at night , this lass flagged him down and asked if he was looking for " buisness" .

being a dumb ■■■ he said yes so she ran around the cab and tried to get in. so he jumps out and asked her what she was doing .she said yor after buisness aren’t you . to which he said " buisness express you arse".

jon

jonboy:
one of our drivers got lost in bolton town centre looking for croal depot late at night , this lass flagged him down and asked if he was looking for " buisness" .

being a dumb ass he said yes so she ran around the cab and tried to get in. so he jumps out and asked her what she was doing .she said yor after buisness aren’t you . to which he said " buisness express you arse".

jon

No way!

Bones:
see the signature below :unamused: :unamused:

Why do you think I bought TomTom :grimacing::wink:.

im one of those who cant give directions and cant remember them but if i look at the map before i go home next day ill go straight there.

jonboy:
to which he said " buisness express you arse".

For an extra tenner she might have let him :open_mouth: :wink:

I stopped next to an old couple looking for an address, I opened the window and said Excuse me do you know this address?

Sorry love do you speak English?

I have had others pretend not to hear me, even when I jump out and follow them down the footpath.

I will have to get a right hand drive truck next :stuck_out_tongue:

Then of course there are the customers who don’t even know how to direct you to them…

trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10374

Firstly, I intended to travel along this road to deliver goods to an address in the village of Culford, north of Bury St. Edmunds. I was approaching the area on the A1101 from the direction of Mildenhall and I was aware of another weight restriction (7.5 tonne bridge) on a separate section of the B1106 between Fornham All Saints and Fornham Saint Martin. With this in mind I telephoned the customer at my delivery point and asked to be advised of the best alternative route. I was advised that I should continue on the A1101 to the junction with Tollgate Lane, then turn left onto Thetford Road and continue on to Culford. Unfortunately the advice I was given obviously led me to enter the second restriction, of which I was unaware, where I was stopped by a Police Officer and given the fixed penalty notice.

I’m sorry, but my pet hate as a pedestrian is people who pull up alongside me, wind the window, and expect me to bend down to give them directions, or trucks that stop on the other side of the road and shout across with the engine running.

Common courtesy dictates that if you want help, you at least get out and meet people at their own level.

I’m not averse to helping drivers. Where I live in a country area there are a number of isolated estates that are difficult to find on a first visit. On day, on the way to work, I saw a Scandinavian artic, pottering through one of our villages. I parked infront of him and asked him where he was going. The location was about 5 miles away so I indicated follow me. When we got to the estate I pulled over and pointed him in the direction of the premises he wanted. He was most grateful that I had gone out of my way and jumped out of the cab, and pumped my hand, little realising, that where I was going was only some 100 yards from where we were.

More recently, on my way home, late at night, and really wanting to get home, a Spanich artic is circleing a roundabout. So I pull him and check his notes. Local firm but he has no English. I start to give directions and think, Sod it, follow me. Took him most of the way and told him quatre kilometre on the right. OK, it’s French(nearly), but he got the messgae. :laughing:

I was once given some directions that included a number of pub names. The final instruction was ‘turn right up the drive just past the Castle’. Logically, The Castle, would have been a pub. No, when I got there, it was a bloody Castle.
:unamused: