Driverless taxis

The original link, firstly it is going to happen, but it hasn’t actually happened and there is no specific date mentioned, the thing about many of these autonomous start ups is they need a constant stream of publicity to keep investors interested, as although the potential rewards are huge especially for the first practical vehicles, but at the moment they’re money pits, I also see a potential dot com bubble happening around this as well with car companies and similar paying billions for these start ups without much to show yet in terms of payback.
At the moment this isn’t actually a taxi service but a service looking for volunteer passengers as Guinea pigs but they will be using a ride bailing app.
The service is going ahead in Phoenix, Arizona because they have no restrictions and as the article says, its has a dry predictable climate, and they haven’t managed to get the system to work in snow and heavy rain.
As for your second link to testing platooning in the UK, it is quite old news, all the vehicles need drivers and is I recall all vehicles need the drivers to steer, they are merely allowing the vehicles to run closer together, as each vehicle communicating with each other. This isn’t just an ACC system as they cannot react at the distances required to benefit from the slipstream effect.
Platooning might be operating somewhere in Europe by the end of the decade, but I believe it doesn’t just need the trucks to be equipped with the system, but also needs some road infrastructure changes, as well as a way of compensating the owner of the lead truck who doesn’t benefit as much from the fuel saving as the following trucks.
Also as the platoon has to increase distances at junctions to allow other vehicles to join and leave the motorway, I’m not sure how much benefit we’ll get from it on much of the UK’s network.

muckles:
The original link, firstly it is going to happen, but it hasn’t actually happened and there is no specific date mentioned, the thing about many of these autonomous start ups is they need a constant stream of publicity to keep investors interested, as although the potential rewards are huge especially for the first practical vehicles, but at the moment they’re money pits, I also see a potential dot com bubble happening around this as well with car companies and similar paying billions for these start ups without much to show yet in terms of payback.
At the moment this isn’t actually a taxi service but a service looking for volunteer passengers as Guinea pigs but they will be using a ride bailing app.
The service is going ahead in Phoenix, Arizona because they have no restrictions and as the article says, its has a dry predictable climate, and they haven’t managed to get the system to work in snow and heavy rain.
As for your second link to testing platooning in the UK, it is quite old news, all the vehicles need drivers and is I recall all vehicles need the drivers to steer, they are merely allowing the vehicles to run closer together, as each vehicle communicating with each other. This isn’t just an ACC system as they cannot react at the distances required to benefit from the slipstream effect.
Platooning might be operating somewhere in Europe by the end of the decade, but I believe it doesn’t just need the trucks to be equipped with the system, but also needs some road infrastructure changes, as well as a way of compensating the owner of the lead truck who doesn’t benefit as much from the fuel saving as the following trucks.
Also as the platoon has to increase distances at junctions to allow other vehicles to join and leave the motorway, I’m not sure how much benefit we’ll get from it on much of the UK’s network.

Nothing there Id argue with Muckles. I would suggest that this platooning idea isnt too clever as it stands. Having a driver bored out of his/her skull staring at the back doors of the truck in front doesnt sound like a goer to me. If there was a combined speed/steer system thatd make more sense.
Having a driver there to take control in an emergency? How alert are we likely to be if were mere passengers for hours, day after day? I did read somewhere about the dangers of pilots relaxing too much on long haul flights? Straight level flight over the sea, and when a situation arises it takes time to "wake up". A plane at say 30,000 ft, will even in total power failure mode have time for reactions. A truck 2 feet from another live traffic lane wont have the luxury of a few seconds to react. I think automation is coming, but these arfarsed ideas arent the way.

Franglais:

muckles:

Nothing there Id argue with Muckles. I would suggest that this platooning idea isnt too clever as it stands. Having a driver bored out of his/her skull staring at the back doors of the truck in front doesnt sound like a goer to me. If there was a combined speed/steer system thatd make more sense.
Having a driver there to take control in an emergency? How alert are we likely to be if were mere passengers for hours, day after day? I did read somewhere about the dangers of pilots relaxing too much on long haul flights? Straight level flight over the sea, and when a situation arises it takes time to "wake up". A plane at say 30,000 ft, will even in total power failure mode have time for reactions. A truck 2 feet from another live traffic lane wont have the luxury of a few seconds to react. I think automation is coming, but these arfarsed ideas arent the way.

I agree driver reaction is going to be a problem with these systems, they all seem to have a function where they warn the driver that they have take over control and in the nice publicity tests the driver calmly swings the seat back and starts driving, but not sure it will be like that in the real World.
Also as you say as a species we’re not good at staying alert doing mundane monitoring.
I’m sure I’ve seen somewhere they reckon a driver could take upto 30 seconds to go from resting to being able to take control of a truck. Was an interesting article where they were talking to people developing autonomous trucks for Otto, they covered many of the issues they faced including it not working well in poor weather, the fact even though Otto is now owned by Uber, you couldn’t just transfer the system from a car and put it on a truck, as there are a lot of differences in how the vehicles react and the test driver said he found driving or more precisely monitoring the truck more stressful than driving a normal one. However autonomous system will play a bigger and bigger part in out lives, just not so sure on some of the timescales handed about.

Driverless vehicles will be a thing within the next ten years or so. There’s no point in being in denial about it.

Google, Tesla, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Intel etc etc etc are spending billions of pounds developing the technology and they aren’t doing that just to give their staff something to do on a quiet Tuesday afternoon.

Taxi drivers are scum!!
They ignore every rule of the road.
They have a fetish with the jimmy saville aprecitation front fog lights.
Plymouth they charge 30p per 200yards.
Walking is cheaper and safer

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

muckles:
they reckon a driver could take upto 30 seconds to go from resting to being able to take control of a truck.

Some of the drivers I see at the places I go would probably take 30 minutes.

Harry Monk:
Driverless vehicles will be a thing within the next ten years or so. There’s no point in being in denial about it.

Google, Tesla, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Intel etc etc etc are spending billions of pounds developing the technology and they aren’t doing that just to give their staff something to do on a quiet Tuesday afternoon.

Only if governments will ban, or severely restrict, private autonomous vehicles of the roads, or separated roads. And that would be political suicide.

Any self driving vehicle without a driver to take over, will have to be programmed to avoid any imminent colision. Fact. So if I (or any other vehicle, or even pedestrians ) pull out/cut up a driverless car, I know it will stop… so why should I, or anybody else, give way to a driverless vehicle?

As a pedestrian maybe you will feel brave enough to jump out in front of one. In a mixed urban environment I daresay you vould safely. With these fully automated vehicles travelling at high speed nose to tail in the open you’d probably die. They won’t defy the laws of physics. When they’re all automated there won’t be need for do many multi lane highways: accelerate to speed and slot into the convoy. No aggressive drivers who must overtake to boost their ego. No Sunday dawdlers.
We’re imagining a time when you wouldn’t have enough input to interfere that much with a vehicle in order to carve up another one.

Want fun? Get on a race track. Don’t play on the roads.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

the nodding donkey:

Harry Monk:

Only if governments will ban, or severely restrict, private autonomous vehicles of the roads, or separated roads. And that would be political suicide.

Eventually I can see the concept of individual car ownership dying. When an autonomous vehicle can be summoned via an app and arrive within a minute of two then there will be little point in owning a car which spends 95%+ of its time sat on the drive doing nothing.

Harry Monk:

the nodding donkey:

Harry Monk:

Eventually I can see the concept of individual car ownership dying. When an autonomous vehicle can be summoned via an app and arrive within a minute of two then there will be little point in owning a car which spends 95%+ of its time sat on the drive doing nothing.

One can summon a car now via an app, within minutes, when needed, yet we privately own more cars, and are paying historically higer prices for them than ever. You’re overlooking the human ego, which says if one can put a new privately owned car on the driveway, then one must be doing well, and therefore must have social status. Appearances and perceived status matter more to most people than substance or rationality in this society. Hence why Mr. Tang will drive his blinged-up Scanny V8 for mimimum wage. It’s sad, really.

Franglais:
As a pedestrian maybe you will feel brave enough to jump out in front of one. In a mixed urban environment I daresay you vould safely. With these fully automated vehicles travelling at high speed nose to tail in the open you’d probably die. They won’t defy the laws of physics. When they’re all automated there won’t be need for do many multi lane highways: accelerate to speed and slot into the convoy. No aggressive drivers who must overtake to boost their ego. No Sunday dawdlers.
We’re imagining a time when you wouldn’t have enough input to interfere that much with a vehicle in order to carve up another one.

Want fun? Get on a race track. Don’t play on the roads.

That is exactly what I’ve been saying. Automated vehicles can’t interact with human drivers or pedestrians. The technology is already here. We already have self driving (driverless) cars and trucks. They could be rolled out tomorrow. But only if we abolish vehicles with drivers, and segregate pedestrians.

Mate of mine is working on the new A14 and they have a load of new electronics to install that will assist autonomous vehicles and platooning trucks.
Most notably is the new warning signs that inform motorists of platoons in operation.

This is a bit hush hush but apparently box jockeys will be the first to trial platooning in real life, Wincanton / Maritime have been asked to supply elite drivers for platoon training and testing. I’m on the list obviously but will only drive the rear truck, I’ll be forked if I’m going in the middle / spitroast position.

Trouble with these “tech heads” is…they have no concept of the real world.
They think everyone works in an office and spend their free time going to the theatre.
A car is not just a means of transport…to many.it’s a part of the family,something that is cherished,somewhere to keep stuff,something that makes up part of our lifestyle.
We are a nation of car lovers.
Driverless cars you can summon in minutes via an app eh.
Hope you don’t get the one i’ve just been fishing in…or out with the dogs in.
Or will they ban fishing and dogs?

And jaguar,Mercedes etc spending millions on developing driverless cars.
What’s the point?
The car won’t be mine…so why would I give a ■■■■ what badge it has on it.
If it’s just a mode of transport you’re after,then surely you’ll just go for the cheapest option.
Bye bye jaguar and Mercedes
Hello sang yong

Dipper_Dave:
Mate of mine is working on the new A14 and they have a load of new electronics to install that will assist autonomous vehicles and platooning trucks.
Most notably is the new warning signs that inform motorists of platoons in operation.

This is a bit hush hush but apparently box jockeys will be the first to trial platooning in real life, Wincanton / Maritime have been asked to supply elite drivers for platoon training and testing. I’m on the list obviously but will only drive the rear truck, I’ll be forked if I’m going in the middle / spitroast position.

D.D. The “backdoor man”!

I’ve got no stats to back it up, but haven’t we heard that more city dwellers are already doing without owning cars? Public transport, uber, and then rent a car for a family trip?
Merc Jag etc may be seeing a shrinking market soon anyway, so why not look at moving away from private buyers? Diesel Jag taxis are around now?
Thinking out loud only…

Dr Damon:

kevmac47:
Is this the same vehicle that has been involved in a collision two hours after its debut? :confused: :confused: :unamused: :unamused:

No, did you not read the article.

The one that was involved in a collision 2 hours after it’s debut was caused by a human with attitude driving a truck. Not the autonomous vehicles fault.

Come on…keep up fella. :unamused:

Except the autonomous vehicle wasn’t smart enough to avoid it. Something a human would have.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

commonrail:
They think everyone works in an office and spend their free time going to the theatre.
A car is not just a means of transport…to many.it’s a part of the family,something that is cherished,somewhere to keep stuff,something that makes up part of our lifestyle.

This ^^.

I was sitting in the cinema the other day and 2(!) adverts appeared for electric vehicles that can do various bits to drive themselves. Fine if that’s your thing. I don’t want to share a skinny wheeled electric box I summon up with an “app”. This agenda is being forced. Going electric is one bitter pill to swallow but not bloody robot cars, and not bloody shared cars. The lot roled into one? Oh God. The future sounds like a soulless riskless nothing, that comes with an “app” . Once this car ownership ban comes in, I’ll take upon flower appreciation or a discussion society as I think they’ll be the pastimes on the agenda, all run through “apps” of course :laughing:

I love owning my car, and I’ll drive the 6 cylinder socks off it until the crying little snowflake millennials pry it from my dying body or the wheels fall off it :laughing:

Freight Dog:

commonrail:

This ^^.

I was sitting in the cinema the other day and 2(!) adverts appeared for electric vehicles that can do various bits to drive themselves. Fine if that’s your thing. I don’t want to share a skinny wheeled electric box I summon up with an “app”. This agenda is being forced. Going electric is one bitter pill to swallow but not bloody robot cars, and not bloody shared cars. The lot roled into one? Oh God. The future sounds like a soulless riskless nothing, that comes with an “app” . Once this car ownership ban comes in, I’ll take upon flower appreciation or a discussion society as I think they’ll be the pastimes on the agenda, all run through “apps” of course :laughing:

I love owning my car, and I’ll drive the 6 cylinder socks off it until the crying little snowflake millennials pry it from my dying body or the wheels fall off it :laughing:

I find this offensive.