Driver Shortage

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Whoa just read that Iceland has stated that there is panic buying of frozen turkey’s for Christmas already with sales up 410% on the same time as last year and we are only in the beginning of October, what other commodities are the public panic buying for. Good luck to them as I dont give a stuff for turkey far rather have Beef, what a crazy world we are in Buzzer.

It is crazy. Pigs being killed because of a lack of butchers…

Well we have had reports about the slaughter of pigs but have we seen any proof with film or pictures, maybe this is another scaremonger story, of late you dont know who to believe and we all know what happened with the scare of no petrol in garages, we had a repeat of Bog roll syndrome talk about lemmings. Buzzer

Buzzer:

Franglais:

Buzzer:
Whoa just read that Iceland has stated that there is panic buying of frozen turkey’s for Christmas already with sales up 410% on the same time as last year and we are only in the beginning of October, what other commodities are the public panic buying for. Good luck to them as I dont give a stuff for turkey far rather have Beef, what a crazy world we are in Buzzer.

It is crazy. Pigs being killed because of a lack of butchers…

Well we have had reports about the slaughter of pigs but have we seen any proof with film or pictures, maybe this is another scaremonger story, of late you dont know who to believe and we all know what happened with the scare of no petrol in garages, we had a repeat of Bog roll syndrome talk about lemmings. Buzzer

Nobody yet saying there will be a shortage of pork, but I daresay that will come along soon enough.
dailymail.co.uk/news/articl … imals.html
And
theguardian.com/business/20 … ir-workers
Two papers from “different wings” saying it has started.

On the BBC news tonight there at it again scaremongering, apparently your little darlings may have no toys from China to play with and if you can get them they will cost a load more.
The freight rates from there for a 40ft container has risen 7 fold so just how they justify that lord knows and when they are discharged from a ship they have difficulty getting delivered, this could mean a not so happy Christmas.
One wonders just what they will scaremonger about next and as I have said already if you get a chance to cop an Easter egg you would be well advised to do so now, Buzzer.

Buzzer:
On the BBC news tonight there at it again scaremongering, apparently your little darlings may have no toys from China to play with and if you can get them they will cost a load more.
The freight rates from there for a 40ft container has risen 7 fold so just how they justify that lord knows and when they are discharged from a ship they have difficulty getting delivered, this could mean a not so happy Christmas.
One wonders just what they will scaremonger about next and as I have said already if you get a chance to cop an Easter egg you would be well advised to do so now, Buzzer.

No beer

Thursdays offerings, Buzzer

245045121_3021240628089804_8929264198088980862_n.jpg

It’ll be milk shortage next followed by dog food and whatever else the media can come up with for scaremongering, i’m more worried that my licence application won’t be processed in time before it runs out. All you get from DVLA is a return email to say it’s been received, no way of tracking where you are in the system. Tried to get a jump on things by sending it off before they sent me a form, trouble is when their form turned up it asked for a new photo although it also said if you have already sent an application to ignore this form, does’nt sound promising.
Has anyone had any problems with agencies not using them because even though DVLA say you can still drive while waiting the agency say your not insured without a current licence?

chazzer:
It’ll be milk shortage next followed by dog food and whatever else the media can come up with for scaremongering, i’m more worried that my licence application won’t be processed in time before it runs out. All you get from DVLA is a return email to say it’s been received, no way of tracking where you are in the system. Tried to get a jump on things by sending it off before they sent me a form, trouble is when their form turned up it asked for a new photo although it also said if you have already sent an application to ignore this form, does’nt sound promising.
Has anyone had any problems with agencies not using them because even though DVLA say you can still drive while waiting the agency say your not insured without a current licence?

Chazzer I suffered the same problem with my application, mine was the yearly application for LGV provision but I only use it occasionally. After numerous phone calls where you have to endure several minutes of bull then without warning they cut you off, after waiting two months decided to reply to the Email they sent me to say that they had received my application and it was being dealt with, I told them that without a hard copy of my license I could not drive a truck abroad and it was causing me considerable anxiety and a financial penalty, well blow me down I had it within a week.
We also had an International driver working for us who was stuck on UK work for the same reason but he had waited four months, I mentioned this to my son who runs the company nowadays and forwarded him my Email to the DVLA, the driver copied it and forwarded it and he got his back as well inside a week so well worth a try even with a little white lie, good luck with your application and in life sometimes a little bull ■■■ does the trick, cheers Buzzer.

Thanks Buzzer, like you mines a yearly licence now and due to expire at the end of november so I’ve still got a couple of weeks or so before I need to start panicking but as most of my work is in europe in motorsport during the year and as you say it’s chancing your arm going over the water without a current licence and it would’nt make any difference if we were still in the EU. I shall try to contact them in another week and if no joy do the email trick that you did as we will start testing early next year. The problem for us older chaps is that the renewal comes round too quick and the backlog gets longer.
A friend of mine who owns a haulage company but only drives if he has to cover on of his drivers recently renewed his and it took 12 weeks, so just add this reason to the current driver shortage.

Reading a entry on my computer I see France is to offer the lower paid ie on less than £1650 a month a one off payment of 100 Euro’s about £85 to offset the high cost of petrol that is present today, lets hope Rishi Soon-as does not get the same idea here. This country has a habitual problem in it wont make the capable take up employment, my son has an mate who is also a football coach and he works in a local government dept handling claims, he said he is embarrassed when they come looking for extra money and bring a bank statement to prove there poverty but there are numerus payments for McDonalds, Pizza hut & Kentucky etc in the out column, then they pull out a top of the range “I” phone, its time this hereditary dole mongering has a serious overhaul and get these lazy sods into work especially when he said they take home more than he does in a working position. Buzzer.

One of my sons works for a local authority and he confirms what Mt Buzzer has said. They ring up or walk in, well dressed, iPhones, new Nike trainers, ridiculous false fingernails, etc etc etc, yet they are whining poverty, “I can’t feed my kids”

There’s work out there for those who want to work but sadly too many people have a ‘benefits culture’, the world (and the working tax payer)owes them a living.
I can understand genuine poverty, but I’ve no time for scroungers and layabouts.

I think help to those in need, including housing, should be given on condition that it is time limited.

The time limit being dependent on how long it will take to get those capable of work, to get themselves trained up to perform a useful paid function in society, often called a job. That might be 2 or 3 years perhaps subject to the agreed necessary training period. If the beneficiary of the state’s assistance is getting there but has not quite achieved the pre-set goals for genuine reasons then the help could be extended.

This system whereby people get housed and paid seemingly for life is simply stupid in many (most?) cases and should cease.

Obviously those who have suffered a misfortune in their lives (disability, health accident etc.) should be assisted outside of this system.

Tough to administer? No doubt. But what we have now is helping no-one but the idle.
~
What do you think?

The chap I was referring too also said they play the stress card if nothing else works to gain extra money, Dipster you have the right idea, let them be on it for three months then cut it and make them work or go without, think this is what happens in Holland then they cant come back to the system for at least a year seems like a good plan but doubt any one in Government would dare to suggest this but it would save the tax payers money for far better causes, Buzzer

Buzzer:
The chap I was referring too also said they play the stress card if nothing else works to gain extra money, Dipster you have the right idea, let them be on it for three months then cut it and make them work or go without, think this is what happens in Holland then they cant come back to the system for at least a year seems like a good plan but doubt any one in Government would dare to suggest this but it would save the tax payers money for far better causes, Buzzer

Totally agree, something I always say is this, the councils throughout the country have all made lots of staff redundant and I’m sure we can all see the results, parks and open spaces deteriorating, rubbish everywhere, general decay, I’m sure you all get my drift so instead of just giving these people a handout just say to them if you want your benefits you’ve got to work for the money, I’m talking about those physically capable (and including those with the latest trendy ailment, anxiety, depression) anyone can push a brush or operate litter picking tongs etc. Don’t want to do it don’t ask for your benefits, we’d soon see some of them return to work!

Just saw this on Facebook. Isn’t it time the Government sorted DVLA out?

Carl Williams:

This government sorting something out… that’s a good one Carl. :laughing: :laughing:

Kempston:

Carl Williams:

This government sorting something out… that’s a good one Carl. :laughing: :laughing:

The government has more important things to do. The civil service should be sorting itself out: DVLA incompetence has gone beyond a joke since Covid struck.

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

Carl Williams:

The government has more important things to do. The civil service should be sorting itself out: DVLA incompetence has gone beyond a joke since Covid struck.

Not sure what that chap is on about as you can still drive as you get a covering letter, as I said before mine took eleven months due to health checks and that was 2018 so well before covid arrived.

Pete.

ERF-NGC-European:

Kempston:

Carl Williams:

I doubt that will happen. In general public service employees have been getting very poor pay increases for years, ever since the financial ■■■■-ups of 2008. So they feel their salaries are well below what they should be. And the pensions schemes have been radically altered to their disadvantage.

Thus I suspect they are applying the old saying that was often heard in the old Soviet Union- “You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work”…

Buzzer:
Thursdays offerings, Buzzer

No wonder there’s a driver shortage if these wagons are still on offer! :wink: