Driver Shortage?

DCPCFML:

Harry Monk:

DCPCFML:
The cynic in me suspects that is “PAYE” PAYE rather than PAYE. :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t really know what that means. I did work for them for about three years and I was on PAYE which worked the same as working directly for anybody on PAYE. The texts they sent used to give PAYE and Ltd Co rates and this seems to be the PAYE rate.

As I said earlier I have noticed agency pay rates locally rising by above inflation this year for the first time in many years, which I imagine is due to a combination of IR35, Brexit and the pandemic moving spending from foreign holidays to consumer goods.

Now that ltd co is no more, “PAYE” PAYE is basically the new brolly. Says PAYE in name and the rate seems ok, but then you find out your holidays are rolled into the rate and none of the other ‘perks’ of being proper PAYE.

gov.uk/holiday-entitlement- … the-basics
“Rolled-up holiday pay
Holiday pay should be paid for the time when annual leave is taken. An employer cannot include an amount for holiday pay in the hourly rate (known as ‘rolled-up holiday pay’).
If a current contract still includes rolled-up pay, it needs to be re-negotiated.”

Tipper/skip work in London and round the edge of London are paying serious money and struggling to get reliable drivers

Talking to a romanian bloke I work with he was saying a lot of labour shortages with drivers and construction and bars restaurants etc in london. When covid hit a lot of Romanians home and with brexit not as easy to come back also Germany is a better option as they can earn well and only a 10-12 hour drive home if they want to.
No doubt things will change but for now it seems wages and conditions could go the right way for drivers

DCPCFML:
Says PAYE in name and the rate seems ok, but then you find out your holidays are rolled into the rate and none of the other ‘perks’ of being proper PAYE.

That’s not been legal following a court case in 2007.

Carryfast:
Not a driver shortage.Just a shortage of drivers looking for local hiab deliveries,

Nice little number doing local hiab work, it’s been some of my favourite work in recent years: 8am start, all done well before 5pm, no last minute detours squeezing in extra collections or drops, pretty sweet IMO

Morph:
Has the driver shortage finally happened?
Updated my CV online at 11am & so far received 11 calls for Class 2 (Standard, ADR & HIAB) work starting on Monday :open_mouth:
All within 10 miles of me (West Midlands) & one half a mile away.
I know the LTD company thing has caused some drivers to quit but has it really had that much effect?

sometime call 10 agency but looking drivers for one vacancy in one place.

ROG:

fatboystu1:

ROG:
When newbies are getting full time permanent jobs within a week of passing then we know the shortage is real

Passed my Class 1 15th April, asked a local company about some ad hoc weekend work to get my experience up, got offered a full time job :wink:

Great stuff :smiley:
If you had not gone looking would you have picked one up from an advert for a full time permanent position which would consider newbies :question:

In fairness he needs drivers and I want some experience. I’m still in my old job. The money he offered was a lot more than what I’m currently on but, I’ve been in my current job for 14 years and my benefits far out weigh what his offer (I get 27 days hol + stats + 1 year full sick pay + no 3am starts etc) and my current boss is looking at some class 1 for me.
I do ad hoc work for the local guy (weekends etc) when I can, I’m happy, he’s happy and my boss isn’t bothered as long as it doesn’t interfere with his work…win, win, win :smiley:

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
Not a driver shortage.Just a shortage of drivers looking for local hiab deliveries, distribution work and the downsides of night work/ dodgy shift patterns etc etc.It’s been like that for at least the past 40 years. :wink:

Look, I told you this before. Premium quality long-haul continental work has always been available for us elites whose faces fit. :wink:

I was offered a run to Italy last week, fact I had no licence was irrelevant as we did the funny handshake over the Zoom interview and that was that once he knew I was a member of the Transport Illuminati.

kr79:
Talking to a romanian bloke I work with he was saying a lot of labour shortages with drivers and construction and bars restaurants etc in london. When covid hit a lot of Romanians home and with brexit not as easy to come back also Germany is a better option as they can earn well and only a 10-12 hour drive home if they want to.

I think that’s a lot of it. When the eu did its big expansions in 2004 and 2007, virtually every country put an embargo on workers from the former Communist states working there for seven years. The UK, the ROI and Sweden were the only member states to opt out. So a lot of eastern Europeans moved to those three countries, and when the embargo ended they were settled here, had jobs, homes etc and so moving elsewhere would have been a major upheaval.

But with Covid, lots of them did lose their jobs, especially in hospitality, and returned home. Now the restrictions are starting to lift, Germany looks a much better proposition, not least because it is so much closer to home. A Pole from Poznan who works in Berlin can be home in 3 hours.

Compounding the issue is that so many UK native drivers are reaching retirement age at the same time, and young people just aren’t interested in the job. I agree with earlier posts that there isn’t a “driver shortage” as such but from my observations wages in the transport industry are moving upwards by significantly more than inflation.

trevorking1964:
I passed my class 1 July 23rd last year and started a full time job Aug 3rd. Still at same place and loving it.
Was given a brand new Scania at Xmas as well.

That’s amazing. My lot didn’t give me so much as a box of chocolates. :wink:

kr79:
Tipper/skip work in London and round the edge of London are paying serious money and struggling to get reliable drivers

Which leaves the question why are the agencies books full of hiab and distribution work and willing to pay class 1 rates for 7.5t/18t work but nothing for 8 wheeler tippers let alone bulkers.

While what tipper/bulker ads there are generally say ‘experience’ essential.Just as it was 40 years ago because it’s still rightly seen as a cut above building materials deliveries and retail distribution.Having said that most drivers don’t enter the industry to spend their careers driving around London and its suburbs regardless of the type of work.

Conor:

DCPCFML:
Says PAYE in name and the rate seems ok, but then you find out your holidays are rolled into the rate and none of the other ‘perks’ of being proper PAYE.

That’s not been legal following a court case in 2007.

Every agency in the land still does it. Drivers Plus over this way is one example, and they even advertise the fact they do it in their job ads.

Harry Monk:
but from my observations wages in the transport industry are moving upwards by significantly more than inflation.

Only if you’re gullible enough to believe the official inflation figures. There are numerous reports from multi-billion dollar asset management/investment companies who say that fiat is losing approx 15% per year in purchasing power in real terms, not the 2% the official figures would have you believe which are manipulated to [zb] with their constantly changing ways on how they calculate CPI. In fact you don’t even need to compare against any official numbers, just look at one metric - your grocery bills - and compare against how much your wage has risen over the past 10, 20 years. And I don’t just mean the headline figures either, I mean after taking into account the package size reductions.

Took me just over a week to find a full time job, as a new driver
Had some agency offers as well, but they can do one.

DCPCFML:
Only if you’re gullible enough to believe the official inflation figures.

^ This.

Carryfast:
Having said that most drivers don’t enter the industry to spend their careers driving around London and its suburbs regardless of the type of work.

Perhaps they do if that’s where they live?

DCPCFML:

Harry Monk:
but from my observations wages in the transport industry are moving upwards by significantly more than inflation.

Only if you’re gullible enough to believe the official inflation figures. There are numerous reports from multi-billion dollar asset management/investment companies who say that fiat is losing approx 15% per year in purchasing power in real terms, not the 2% the official figures would have you believe which are manipulated to [zb] with their constantly changing ways on how they calculate CPI. In fact you don’t even need to compare against any official numbers, just look at one metric - your grocery bills - and compare against how much your wage has risen over the past 10, 20 years. And I don’t just mean the headline figures either, I mean after taking into account the package size reductions.

I was going to say that about the grocery bill but I read the 2nd half of your post…Also look at used/new car prices, house/flat prices. People supposedly out of work/businesses shutting down/Brexit etc. but prices go up and up and up. Meanwhile ‘Staff wanted’ signs popping up around. Wonder if it has to do with people still getting paid not to work while businesses are trying to restart

Harry Monk:

Carryfast:
Having said that most drivers don’t enter the industry to spend their careers driving around London and its suburbs regardless of the type of work.

Perhaps they do if that’s where they live?

Let’s get this right only those living an arbitrary distance outside London can/want to aspire to doing something better with their career than to spend it driving in and around London. :unamused:

Having said that many employers seem to take that view. :open_mouth:

ETS:
Meanwhile ‘Staff wanted’ signs popping up around. Wonder if it has to do with people still getting paid not to work while businesses are trying to restart

Yep people getting 80% of their wage to stay at home while those on the UC pittance have to search for/take work.What could possibly go wrong.

Carryfast:

ETS:
Meanwhile ‘Staff wanted’ signs popping up around. Wonder if it has to do with people still getting paid not to work while businesses are trying to restart

Yep people getting 80% of their wage to stay at home while those on the UC pittance have to search for/take work.What could possibly go wrong.

Over in the US it’s become a huge problem already. Will likely happen here too.