stop all the production lines stop everything, people will soon get bored
lets try it

SHYTOT:
If you want a 24/7 society people have to work 24/7
can you imagine everywhere closed on a Sunday other than churches & hospitals
lets try it

I think we more or less have…this year.

I’m old enough to remember getting by without the supermarkets opening on Sundays…it was tough, but we managed, and supported loads of corner shops/newsagents in the process.
I used to be involved with a well-known motor museum…they experienced a downturn in Sunday visitors when the local big shopping centre opened on Sundays and the figures never recovered.
A mate of mine worked in Currys…he said a lot of families used to come in on a Sunday for ‘something to do’ even if the weather was lovely. And that was in a branch on the edge of the Cotswolds with lovely walks and tourist attractions all around.

SHYTOT:
lets try it

I would love to see a return to Sunday closing. Make it a day of rest and leisure.

SHYTOT:
lets try it

This lockdown, would have broken the 24/7 regime, except so many are ignoring it, that traffic is as bad as ever.

So after years of hearing about the ‘driver shortage’ ■■■■■■■■, we’re now being told what the non gullible amongst us already knew…There ain’t a one! :bulb:
No ■■■■ Sherlock eh? :unamused:

That woman’s take on it is absolutely accurate,.and good on her for pointing out the facts.

Who tf in their right mind wants to take up a job with everything she points out, ridiculously long hours for same rate right through , and all the rest of it, working for ■■■■■ who think nothing of you, and for the majority who treat you like school kids with their modern management policies…such as cameras for a start.

As said it will never improve for as long as we have the 80 hour glory boys who relish it :unamused:
In actual fact it’s those lot who exacerbate it. :bulb: :unamused:

Then we have the ones who see it as ‘Just normal’ without really thinking it through…
.‘That’s the nature of the job/always been that way/you’re in the wrong job’ cretins, …
Well as I’ve always said on here, no it isn’t, but that is the way it has evolved (or eroded) from the 12.5 hour spreadovers we once worked at…as that lady points out, proving my point.

Then there’s the rest of us, who know the job has turned into a crock of ■■■■, but still put the hours in as it HAS actually became ‘The done thing’ (ok, I saw the light and cut my hours, but that’s another story)

So I for one am pleased it has finally been recognised by some official body or other how bad this job has become.
Excellent news imo, so hope it’s a green shoot to sort out the crap.

So maybe in years to come (and when I’m well out of it :unamused: ) through time when the 3 categories of drivers mentioned have moved on, …ie. The idiots, The apathetic pacifists, and The reluctant realists, something will HAVE to be done to make this job once more attractive, as it was when I started it, by pulling it in to 21st Century t.s and c.s.instead of 19th century ''kids working down 't pit ‘’ style. :unamused:

Btw I do get why some are going for long hours, those in hock, maintenance of lifestyle and all the rest of it, …but not forgetting the fortunate minority who do it willingly as they know they are being adequately compensated for it through their excellent t.s and c.s, mainly Union firms :bulb:
So maybe there is part of your answer (whether it fits in with your anti union agenda or not) ‘‘If we all stuck together’’ yawn ■■■■ yawn :unamused:
Hell,.even I would be back putting in the hours again if I worked for a good firm, …but not for 10 quid right through ffs. :unamused:

Sorry, couldn’t even bear the read the whole thread.

This crap gets more recycled than my rubbish.

There is a shortage of well-paid driver jobs.
There is an abundance of low-paid driver jobs.

There won’t be a shortage of “drivers” - until and unless every COMBINED job vacancy across the two groups above - gets filled in due course.

Who will feel the pinch first?

I would suggest that those firms who would rather employ a “six-points OK” driver who “doesn’t argue the toss” rather than a clean-licenced driver who’ll always push back when wronged - might struggle to keep their internal overheads down, Eg. fixing numerous vehicles and property smashed up by the less experienced driver, who was “only doing what they were told, to the letter” all the time. :unamused:
How much money did “firm’s policy” lose from THIS little incident for instance?

Sunak in his Spring Budget - might decide to raise taxes indirectly rather than just lump extra income tax and national insurance contributions onto the masses…
ONE such way of “raising indirect taxes” - would be to reduce or abolish completely the way a firm can claim things like “damage to property” against tax…?

I’ve already spoken at length in the past, meanwhile - that INSURERS too - might one day decide “not to cover that firm who go out of their way to employ sub-standard drivers” that smash stuff up…

Now all that remains - is to see how many people can be shifted into 55-84 hour week jobs at or near minimum wage, should the day come soon when “at or near minimum wage” happens to be all that’s left out there.

Winseer:
There is a shortage of well-paid driver jobs.
There is an abundance of low-paid driver jobs.

[/i]

There is also a shortage of competent drivers prepared to look after those remaining well paid jobs, ie not take the ■■■■ out of the sick scheme nor look after the kit or bother about looking after the customer or indeed the employer themselves by going the extra mile when the job demands it.

There are good drivers in good jobs still, they tend to keep schtum because they wouldn’t want some of the dross that would turn up if the job was broadcast, that’s why sop many of the better job vacancies are filled by recommendation…and before anyone complains about that quoting old pals act, the OPA isn’t always the case, those in good jobs would be fools indeed to recommend a chump who in turn would put other chumps up = job goes ■■■■ up and hey presto here come the green death or some other equivalent.

I have read on these forums that someone gets offered a place, they go to an assessment or to a days work experience where they will shadow another driver. It appears that they will do that with no recompense.

I just did some paperwork for my son in law where he went for a days work experience in a care home, they were pestering him because he hadn’t sent them his bank details. Today a cheque dropped through the post, he was paid over £100 for turning up for 1 day. and he got his breakfast and dinner paid for!

Wheel Nut:
I have read on these forums that someone gets offered a place, they go to an assessment or to a days work experience where they will shadow another driver. It appears that they will do that with no recompense.

I just did some paperwork for my son in law where he went for a days work experience in a care home, they were pestering him because he hadn’t sent them his bank details. Today a cheque dropped through the post, he was paid over £100 for turning up for 1 day. and he got his breakfast and dinner paid for!

there’s a shortage ;of care home workers…so they are now being well-treated (wasn’t always the case).

Wheel Nut:

Photo ecidence or id didnt happen. Just like most of the ■■■■■ that flys around the internet. Buzz buzz.

How does a firm encourage more competent drivers to attend, whilst discouraging “It’s just a job” ones that won’t go that extra mile, that Jud speaks of above?

Those firms that look down upon their driving staff for “taking too long at the customer’s” might be the higher payers, but also the jobs most easy to lose… You find that “pleasing the customer” and “pleasing the manager sending you there” - are mutually exclusive ideals…

Even being sent to an RDC for a drop - might end up being told off

Boss: “How come you were there 3-4 hours for a 30m tip?”

Driver Drive: “Ask the RDC staff Boss, they told me on arrival that it wouldn’t be long, but they clearly lied to me”

Boss “Are you answering back again guy?”

If customer is some small place though, that has family members come out to greet you…
That’s a whole different ball game, and one where politeness clearly flows in both directions (at least in my experience)
…where Cups of tea, or even a “light snack” might be put your way, as well as access to amenities often much-needed after a 3hr drive getting to “customer location”… :slight_smile:

I can’t speak about “Sick Pay” though, as I’ve not experienced this rather old and quaint memory since 2005… I’ve taken a total of 3 sick days since 2010, of which none of them were paid… :neutral_face:
I don’t miss “sick pay”, because I so rarely try to CLAIM it.

Winseer, once again i do not recognise the attitudes and types of managers you describe, you might find a sullen childish attitude (found in these pages from certain posters too who’s comments are usually sarky) from a frustrated going nowhere clerk behind the desk but from a manager of a decent job? hah most unlikely, and if one such gormless manager type did manage to infiltrate a decent place (probably from a logistics hell hole), it wouldn’t be long before he came to the attention of the senior gaffers, when totally reliable long term drivers who otherwise just do their jobs year in year out without issues speak up then its been my experience that the higher ups listen.

If it aint broke don’t fix it still exists out there, never had my work questioned in all my years, but then i don’t tear around like my arse is on fire like some do when it suits but when it doesn’t suit they go to the other extreme and take the ■■■■, too thick to realise all their typical work routines are there in glorious didgital form for spreadsheet phil to get all excited over :unamused:

Sick pay? nope never received a penny cos never taken any sick days, but i’ve seen it taken wholesale advantage of by the short sighted who seem incapable of realising that just as their typical work routine is being recorded and averaged out so are all of their work records including how sick and assumed unfit they are, hence when a downturn happens guess who’s getting their P45.

Good drivers should do their best to avoid working for the logistics giants (as always there are exceptions and decent gaffers/contracts within those same groups), find an own account niche if at all possible and cherish it.

As I posted earlier, I don’t get the trouble from those who’ve always been managers at a particular firm, those who came into the job AS managers, on the pay scale and job description as such.
It is those “jobsworths” who used to be drivers or warehouse staff that have been made into “acting” managers, knowing that they used to get lip from such as myself (always a driver, never a warehouse/manager) and now determined it seems to somehow “get their own back” for all those arguments they lost when we were once-upon-a-time “Equals”.

I don’t recall anyone else getting the level of scrutiny that I seem to get, I could proberally liken to “following my foot movements with a camera panning around to catch me stepping on the cracks in the pavement, or wearing a too-loud Hi Viz during the hours of darkness, or having an offensive wife”… type-of stuff. :unamused: :unamused:

Yes, sure I made plenty of enemies during my time of bumping shoulders with those of equal rank…

There was even an occasion where another driver (only 9 of us, so easy to find out who) approached a warehouseman-■■■-manager to inform him that I’d left an hour early, and if they could together on a computer terminal match my turnstile data to my time booked as “lead out” the next day on my card - I’d be duly discliplined for “breaching fire register rules”… How many others out there would ever be subject to THAT scrutiny? Meanwhile, had I approached a manager on a different occasion, to stick up for an innocent fellow agency driver being frogmarched out of the building for an offence I had personally witnessed a Union Rep doing instead? Manager “doesn’t want to know” about such “evidence”, and most definitely will NOT sit down at a computer with ME to ascertain who’s telling the truth or not…

Oh if only higher management knew how much “acting middle management” used company computer systems to fiddle all kinds of stuff, other members of staff being the “losers”, rather than anyone far away that could arguably make their shenanigans “victimless crimes”… including self-authorizing by managers to derving one’s own car at the fuel island, skimming money from hire contracts, and even taking bribes from brudder outfits to GET those contracts at a yard - all personally witnessed going on over the years, but quickly discarded when I attempt to go through the “channels” to duly report… That’s something else I’m glad to see the back of, now I’m going out of my way to avoid firms “big enough to hide in” as it were. Only once did I see a manager actually sacked for “contract corruption”, and another one sacked for bringing a false claim against another member of staff, me on that occasion, so on that occasion, the Union actually backed me up over the manager, so due respect to them there. That was a long time ago though, in another century… Before “Cameras” everywhere, “track and trace” that only gets one into trouble, never results in more pay, or better conditions, - and of course “digidata” where taking a break 6hrs and 4minutes into my duty - results in a spanish inquisition of carpetings now known as “de-briefs” at most places… :unamused: :unamused:

Large Firms’ acting managers - are like the Polticians: They’ll fail to uphold their own standards whenever it suits them. “Disciplined” is a one-way street, with a far higher burden of proof required to ever sends hit uphill at any time… :frowning:

Winseer:
I don’t recall anyone else getting the level of scrutiny that I seem to get

Yes, sure I made plenty of enemies during my time of bumping shoulders with those of equal rank…

How many others out there would ever be subject to THAT scrutiny? :frowning:

I’ve removed all the ■■■■■■■■, packing and meaningless guff you have just posted, and left the 3 main points that say everything about you Winseer. :unamused:

You just don’t listen to anybody on here who tries and points out what the problem is with your experiences in your career…the problem is simply…
.YOU :bulb:
You’re a lost cause mate, stop feeling sorry for yourself, and playing the victim ffs, . :unamused:
You’re becoming the Forum bore. :unamused:

I can only assume that everyone else is so utterly content with their lives and lot, that they won’t ever complain about anything ever, until the day comes that we all become “oven ready” for the first and last time.

There was me thinking that during this Covid crisis the entire nation would becoming rather more “needy” rather than “I’m alright Jack”, but should I be proven wrong here by the sorts of comments I regularily get, then maybe a new place to divide society has appeared. If I am the problem, then why have others made me into that problem for others?

I wonder what would happen in the post-covid workplace if half of every large workforce were ceremonially got rid of, with the remaining half given a hefty pay rise, with the Union reps bought off, so they don’t call an all out walkout from becoming the sort of malcontent I seem to be turning into with regards to “Big Business”?

Because you waffle on like some schizophrenic on speed.

There’s being happy with your lot, which I dare say most will want more but just crack on. Or there is going on and on and on and on about how hard done by you are.

Where do you fall into that?

You shown on here countless time that you’re incapable of listening and just go back to the same tired points. If we collectively can see that then those you used to work with can. Seriously look at yourself. If you put as much effort into you as you do when typing out your monologues of tripe maybe you’d succeed.

But you won’t. Consistent failure is nothing to do with you. The only consistent thing in that though is… YOU.

You know what job you want, why not adapt yourself to try and get it.

toonsy:
Because you waffle on like some schizophrenic on speed.

There’s being happy with your lot, which I dare say most will want more but just crack on. Or there is going on and on and on and on about how hard done by you are.

Where do you fall into that?

You shown on here countless time that you’re incapable of listening and just go back to the same tired points. If we collectively can see that then those you used to work with can. Seriously look at yourself. If you put as much effort into you as you do when typing out your monologues of tripe maybe you’d succeed.

But you won’t. Consistent failure is nothing to do with you. The only consistent thing in that though is… YOU.

You know what job you want, why not adapt yourself to try and get it.

Because you cannot be arsed to read my posts in full, you’ve failed to realize that I was only out of work for 10 days this year.
What was wrong with “ignoring me” if you feel what I post is “irrelevant” to you? Isn’t that the normal thing to do with the posts of others that are “not of interest”?

Why this contant barrage of abuse all the time?

Are you seriously demanding that I join this I’m alright jack" club that seems to abound?
Would you seriously like me to merely “cross the road, avoid, and ignore” when I see injustices in progress?

if half of us on here - will be losing their job to another within a year of now - sticking one’s head in the sand, and hoping someone else gets the axe, and you you - won’t see you with many sympathizers when that doomsday comes…

I merely warn about “not liking what I’m seeing” in the scrabble for "Don’t sack me guv, sack them

Because “I was one of the first to go” - I’m now in a good place, ahead of the curve of what is to come… This hasn’t actually been about me for some time now.
I took a couple of months off posting on here, because those other internet contacts I have that are actually of similar intellect, rather than what I run into on here for the most part - were being systemically purged as part of this “Anti Fake News” or rather “Anti Truth” movement online that is currently in progress… It is difficult to post pretty much anything “Right of Karl Marx” anywhere on the internet these days that isn’t subject to an almost routine tirade of abuse from the now-enriched “posting communities”, that I sadly have to report “might even include this” one in due course. I won’t be proven correct in that suspicion though, unless and until I find my account here being busted as it has been elsewhere. There’s a move currently going on meanwhile at DM where I also post a lot, which seems to be aiming to red me off the board along the “two many complaints” angle, but my long-standing position there, and my ability to keep myself firmly routed “Center Right” rather than “Right Wing” - has kept me safe from such baseless “complaints” about my posts thus far.

This isn’t about me anymore, it is about the rest of the driver community, whom right now - continue to duck & dive, or maybe are even blissfully unaware at how they’re involved and affected by what goes on behind the scenes AND in plain sight.

How do YOU react when one of YOUR mates at work gets frogmarched out by security, an acting manager, and a union rep on trumped-up charges you know they are not guilty of, but one of the three doing the frogmarching IS?

Watch your backs, people. We’re entering a time when all will seek your jobs, and ruin your lives IF you don’t shut up and let others pick your comrades off one-by-one whilst you shut up and do nothing about it out of fear of ending up the same way…

This isn’t at MY workplace any longer, as I’m now safely outside of that bubble. The only place I get to see it is on the occasional RDC visits I continue to make. I’m alarmed at the sheer number of “Unite” High viz I’m seeing about these days - THAT appears to have mushroomed since the start of the lockdown at least… There are some that are prospering out of all this… What next? Keir Starmer overthrown, and Corbyn back in play again? Personally, I’d rather see Corbyn as PM than Starmer - but that sentiment only lasts until Brexit is done beyond being reversed - and that’s NOT yet!

You have been warned. :frowning:

Winseer:
Because you cannot be arsed to read my posts in full, you’ve failed to realize that I was only out of work for 10 days this year.
What was wrong with “ignoring me” if you feel what I post is “irrelevant” to you? Isn’t that the normal thing to do with the posts of others that are “not of interest”?

Why this contant barrage of abuse all the time?

Are you seriously demanding that I join this I’m alright jack" club that seems to abound?
Would you seriously like me to merely “cross the road, avoid, and ignore” when I see injustices in progress?

if half of us on here - will be losing their job to another within a year of now - sticking one’s head in the sand, and hoping someone else gets the axe, and you you - won’t see you with many sympathizers when that doomsday comes…

I merely warn about “not liking what I’m seeing” in the scrabble for "Don’t sack me guv, sack them

Because “I was one of the first to go” - I’m now in a good place, ahead of the curve of what is to come… This hasn’t actually been about me for some time now.
I took a couple of months off posting on here, because those other internet contacts I have that are actually of similar intellect, rather than what I run into on here for the most part - were being systemically purged as part of this “Anti Fake News” or rather “Anti Truth” movement online that is currently in progress… It is difficult to post pretty much anything “Right of Karl Marx” anywhere on the internet these days that isn’t subject to an almost routine tirade of abuse from the now-enriched “posting communities”, that I sadly have to report “might even include this” one in due course. I won’t be proven correct in that suspicion though, unless and until I find my account here being busted as it has been elsewhere. There’s a move currently going on meanwhile at DM where I also post a lot, which seems to be aiming to red me off the board along the “two many complaints” angle, but my long-standing position there, and my ability to keep myself firmly routed “Center Right” rather than “Right Wing” - has kept me safe from such baseless “complaints” about my posts thus far.

This isn’t about me anymore, it is about the rest of the driver community, whom right now - continue to duck & dive, or maybe are even blissfully unaware at how they’re involved and affected by what goes on behind the scenes AND in plain sight.

How do YOU react when one of YOUR mates at work gets frogmarched out by security, an acting manager, and a union rep on trumped-up charges you know they are not guilty of, but one of the three doing the frogmarching IS?

Watch your backs, people. We’re entering a time when all will seek your jobs, and ruin your lives IF you don’t shut up and let others pick your comrades off one-by-one whilst you shut up and do nothing about it out of fear of ending up the same way…

This isn’t at MY workplace any longer, as I’m now safely outside of that bubble. The only place I get to see it is on the occasional RDC visits I continue to make. I’m alarmed at the sheer number of “Unite” High viz I’m seeing about these days - THAT appears to have mushroomed since the start of the lockdown at least… There are some that are prospering out of all this… What next? Keir Starmer overthrown, and Corbyn back in play again? Personally, I’d rather see Corbyn as PM than Starmer - but that sentiment only lasts until Brexit is done beyond being reversed - and that’s NOT yet!

You have been warned. :frowning:

This is the type of ‘environment’ that these grovelling muppets have created for themselves.

Not sure about you but if I was looking for a class 1 job my answer would be if they want a driver to drive a truck fine.
If they want a warehouse operative then advertise the job and employ one.
You don’t see ads for train driver warehousemen or pilot warehousemen so why are truck drivers considered as second class. :imp:
cv-library.co.uk/job/212763067

Carryfast:
This is the type of ‘environment’ that these grovelling muppets have created for themselves.

Not sure about you but if I was looking for a class 1 job my answer would be if they want a driver to drive a truck fine.
If they want a warehouse operative then advertise the job and employ one.
You don’t see ads for train driver warehousemen or pilot warehousemen so why are truck drivers considered as second class. :imp:
cv-library.co.uk/job/212763067

A job will entail whatever the company advertising it want it to entail and they have every right to ask for that.

If that means a lorry driving job has some element of unloading or other such work then so be it. You seem to have some bee in your bonnet that any job that involves anything other than “a distance” drive from A to B and back again involving a “bulk or full load” is a crime that should not be asked of any “lorry driver”