Driver Hire

As far as the test goes - it dooes not matter if you really screw it up. Its not a pass/fail thing. If you mess up, Driver Hire just want to know so that they can give you training before sending you out to their clients.

Driver Hire will usually be able to get you work EVERY day. I was full time employed for 6 months! I was telling them when I wanted time off.

They might ask you to do some crap jobs. That’s agency work for you. So long as you don’t say you’re going to do it, then not turn up, its not a problem. Just be straightforward with them, and they’ll start rewarding you with the better jobs, because they’ll want to keep you as a reliable driver.

Hi Dapper,

so what do you have to do on this test then for driver hire? :smiley:

Well, you get three parts.

Road signs - just fill in the blank next to the sign to say what it means.
Tacho Law - again, fill in the blanks. e.g. how long can you legally drive before you need a break? What is the daily rest period? etc.
General competency: e.g. what 5 checks should you make to the motor each morning? etc.

Dapper Scavenger:
General competency: e.g. what 5 checks should you make each morning? etc.

Flask filled with coffee?
Cup (to drink coffee from)?
Sarnies?
Good Book?
Car Keys?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

That kind of thing, Dapper? :laughing:

lol exactly. Don’t forget the suitcase of map books and the speed camera radar. P

What :question:

You mean WORK things :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :question:

PLEASE MIND THE LANGUAGE & YOU A MODERATOR.
Could this W>>>>> .sorry can’t bring myself to use such words, be auto edited ?. this kind of word has no legitimate use.

Why do you all seem to register with agencies :question:
Agencies are what keeps drivers on such poor pay etc, you get low pay but the agency gets a lot for just sending you there.
It may be a bit drastic but if everyone left the agencies for just a week they would collapse and decent companies would have no option but to take on proper employees.
Agencies get all the proffit when the drivers get no real benefits and get laid off the second work dies off, they should be outlawed.

Because they give you work whilst you are looking for a job so you have an income inbetween jobs. So if you get the sack or quit your job at short notice for whatever reason, you can keep the pennies rolling in.

Also they can give you experience if you have none. An agency will give a recently qualified driver a job, whereas 9 out of 10 employers wont. But if you go to an employer with 6 months agency experience you will be considered.

That’s why.

Quite often, the agencies pay higher rates than the employers over here mate. Its one of the ways of getting the rates up.

Also all of Lostpups reasons.

Pat Hasler:
Why do you all seem to register with agencies… ?

A lot of the local transport companies near me pay around £7.00 per hour compared to £9.00 per hour on the agency. You get time-and-a-half after 8 hours, time-and-a-half on Saturdays, double-time on Sundays and Bank Holidays, triple-time on Boxing Day and New Year, and quadruple-time on Christmas Day (collected 26 pallets of mushrooms from Holland last Christmas and Boxing Day and earned just over £800 for two days work - it were great, absolutely nothing on the roads !).

Sometimes, you get jobs that last 3-4 hours but you get paid for a minimum of 8 hours. Other times you turn up for a job and its been cancelled, you go home and still get 8 hours pay. You can also pick and choose where you want to work, or if you want a day-off you take one !

Most agencies provide holiday pay, free uniforms, free boots, better night-out rates, and so on.

I’ve worked for agencies for most of the 15 years I’ve been driving. You get treated like a leper by some full-time drivers, which is understandable when you consider that a fair proportion of agency drivers are worse than useless. One of the companies I work for are beginning to employ agency drivers only, they’re getting shut of their own full-time drivers because they’re more hassle.

For example, if a company has an increase in business they employ more drivers. If they begin to haemorrage business, they can shed agency drivers with no cost to themselves, whereas the company has both a legal and moral obligation to its full-time drivers.

Most full-time drivers will tell you that agency drivers are always damaging vehicles and loads. And full-time drivers don’t…? I’ve known so-called professional full-time drivers damage vehicles and blame it on agency drivers.

Anyway, I get great satisfaction from it because I’m not stuck in the same job day after day, week after week. I earn a better wage than most full-time drivers for less work. I’ve also gained a great deal of experience - enabling me to turn my hand to almost anything !

I’m going to get slated for these comments but I couldn’t really give a monkey’s ! I used to do a lot of work for Salvesens in Evesham and Droitwich. A lot of the full-time drivers at these depots used to say they’d never work for an agency. When the depots closed, a lot of these drivers went to work for the agencies - the word “hypocrites” springs to mind !!!

well said the man above,i love agency work ,pick and choose my jobs, in fact not worked since april spending all my booty from last year.also just paid for and past my manual p.c.v. and thats all down to working for driver hire .

Just a thought for anyone going to sign on at an agency when it comes to the ‘test’ why not take a copy of the highway code and a copy of the drivers hours regs etc… It’s not an A level exam and they wouldn’t expect you to go to a job with no maps you can’t know everything.

I’m with ADR in Southampton and there are great to work for they give you a geography test of towns in the country as well as tacho etc(don’t panic it’s quite basic :wink: )
I got a couple mixed up but pointed out that I always turn up for work with a map so I can’t see what the problem was and they agreed I also keep a copy of the highway code on me :open_mouth: so just turn up with these and keep them for reference they are after all tools of our trade :wink: :unamused: :wink: :laughing: