Driver Facing Cameras in Cabs

Radar19:
my TM asked him where he could find 40 drivers in a few hours notice because all 40 wagons would still be in the yard Monday morning, sans drivers.

And they’d all be back again the following week when they didn’t get paid, found out that anywhere paying anything remotely decent with decent work used cameras and the only option was the dole or go back with their tail between their legs.

Conor:

AndrewG:
Complete intrusion into a drivers workplace. Imagine the uproar of any other industry employees having a camera stuck in their face while at work.

The majority of workers in this country have CCTV covering them.

The majority of workers in this country do not have 1 or more cctv cameras pointing directly at them from 6ft away for the majority of their long shifts which can, and will pick up on literally every movement or action they make.

ezydriver:

Conor:

AndrewG:
Complete intrusion into a drivers workplace. Imagine the uproar of any other industry employees having a camera stuck in their face while at work.

The majority of workers in this country have CCTV covering them.

The majority of workers in this country do not have 1 or more cctv cameras pointing directly at them from 6ft away for the majority of their long shifts which can, and will pick up on literally every movement or action they make.

Exactly my point earlier. Theres a difference between having ctv at for example a warehouse watching the goings on than having a camera stuck in the face of every employee…

AndrewG:

eagerbeaver:

P Stoff:
You’ll never stop an idiot. I will admit I did use my phone while driving up until I saw that horrific crash where the two cars and the family were wiped out. I bought a decent Bluetooth earpiece and haven’t sinned since.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Quick edit… I am perfect and it’s widely acknowledged that I am the UK’s favourite celeb driver. And the best…certainly better than all these hairy eared old fools that blabber on

…while on the subject, just what is it with all the ear and nose hair?? Talking to a guy the other evening and he had what looked like a ZB ing bush growing out of each ZBing lug hole…

Not sure mate tbh :confused:

In all fairness though, these coffin dodging, Werthers original sucking hat wearers know loads of stuff. I know they smell of ■■■■, but I quite like them.

Have you ever tried asking one of these Rover 75 driving fools which is better; metric spanners or imperial? I once asked an old man about this and when I started smirking, he 2atted me :open_mouth: (He was my Dad though :unamused: )

eagerbeaver:

AndrewG:

eagerbeaver:

P Stoff:
You’ll never stop an idiot. I will admit I did use my phone while driving up until I saw that horrific crash where the two cars and the family were wiped out. I bought a decent Bluetooth earpiece and haven’t sinned since.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Quick edit… I am perfect and it’s widely acknowledged that I am the UK’s favourite celeb driver. And the best…certainly better than all these hairy eared old fools that blabber on

…while on the subject, just what is it with all the ear and nose hair?? Talking to a guy the other evening and he had what looked like a ZB ing bush growing out of each ZBing lug hole…

Not sure mate tbh :confused:

In all fairness though, these coffin dodging, Werthers original sucking hat wearers know loads of stuff. I know they smell of ■■■■, but I quite like them.

Have you ever tried asking one of these Rover 75 driving fools which is better; metric spanners or imperial? I once asked an old man about this and when I started smirking, he 2atted me :open_mouth: (He was my Dad though :unamused: )

I just use a metric adjustable mate, saves buying a whole set of spanners…

RB84:
As Britain apparently has the most cctv camera’s in the world is it any surprise these camera’s have started becoming popular?
i understand people not wanting them but if drivers do quit because of them there’s every chance the job they change to will still have them under surveillance, perhaps doing something they don’t enjoy as much?

Like it or not the world is a different place from when a lot of people started driving so you probably just have to make the best of a bad situation nowadays?

Ah well it looks like ‘‘their’’ agenda has worked, and ‘‘they’’ have sold the idea to you mate anyway. :neutral_face:

So by your account we all just bend over cheeks apart and receive eh?
…and
;quote… ‘‘Make the best out of a bad situation’’

Well bud you could adapt that theory to any ■■■■■■■ thing that ‘‘they’’ want to impose on us, so it’s a case of ‘Resistance is futile’ eh?

I’m assuming you are relatively young and new, …well you have my sympathy if you are doing the job in the next 20 or 30 yrs if your outlook is actually typical, that’s all I can say. :unamused:
Good luck.

eagerbeaver:
Quick edit… I am perfect and it’s widely acknowledged that I am the UK’s favourite celeb driver. And the best…certainly better than all these hairy eared old fools that blabber on about an eaton split thing.

And certainly better than these other lot that think they are donkey’s, Superman, dog’s, etc…

From a ■■■■ amateur and part timer to boot. :unamused: :smiley:

I may be knocking on (ever so slightly) but I’m like a classic sports car, …a Ferrrari Dino, still noticed by the ladeeez, stunninglly attractive, and give current models (like you) a ■■■■ good run for their money. :sunglasses:

Oh yeh and my lugs are perfectly groomed thanks.

:wink: :laughing:

Last edit. Superman is soooo last year, :unamused: going for the Luke Skywalker onesie this year. :sunglasses:

Whats next a bloody electronic chip in yer head, monitoring your movements actions thoughts? (for the prevention of religious extremist terrorism doncha know, that they invited here and excuse :unamused: ) and right handy for a delete function when you are no longer useful or start thinking independently or ask the wrong questions.
Far fetched? of course, but in practice there are people stupid enough to voluntarily have these bloody things inserted into their arms, and have already done so to please their employers, never underestimate the gullibility of people.

Stop bloody believing all the ■■■■■■■■ people who want power over you come up with, they aint spying on you 24/7 for your benefit, its never for your benefit.

robroy:

123smith:

muckles:
Agreed absolutely horrific incident, but having a camera in the cab didn’t stop it happening, neither did the driver signing a document on that day or not long before, saying they wouldn’t use their phones while driving stop it happening.

Agree 100%

Accidents due to idiots like this driver will happen whether a camera is fitted or not… however if installing a camera is all it takes to save a life then they would be worthwhile fitting, are there any stats available to prove or disprove there effectiveness in reducing accidents?

It is a shame that they are even having to be considered but accidents like this make big news leading to demands that preventative action be taken which effects all drivers good and bad.

Would they [zb] be worthwhile mate!!
I don’t watch ■■■■ when driving, use my phone, or drive ■■■■■■ so why tf should I suffer, and have absolute liberties taken for the [zb] whits who do all this stuff?
Sort them, dont impose even more limitations on the likes of me.
Police the situation, eradicate the possibility at grass roots by being more selective with Class 1 candidates, adapt zero tolerance policies on first time offenders such as a life ban. :bulb:

There are a couple on here who freely admit they do/would not mind them :unamused: , well you accept them, best of luck, but don’t chuck the babies out with the bath water by imposing the [zb] things on good responsible and professional drivers.

Ffs :unamused:

I also drive safely and would hate having cameras but IF having them saved life’s then I would be prepared to tolerate them… the only realistic alternative suggestion you make to installing cameras is to increase the penalty for getting caught but I doubt whether that would be enough on it’s own.

I would like to know if the stats prove the effectiveness of having cameras installed - or not.

Unfortunately we are judged by the actions of the rogue minority and suffer the consequences as a result.

123smith:

robroy:

123smith:

muckles:
Agreed absolutely horrific incident, but having a camera in the cab didn’t stop it happening, neither did the driver signing a document on that day or not long before, saying they wouldn’t use their phones while driving stop it happening.

Agree 100%

Accidents due to idiots like this driver will happen whether a camera is fitted or not… however if installing a camera is all it takes to save a life then they would be worthwhile fitting, are there any stats available to prove or disprove there effectiveness in reducing accidents?

It is a shame that they are even having to be considered but accidents like this make big news leading to demands that preventative action be taken which effects all drivers good and bad.

Would they [zb] be worthwhile mate!!
I don’t watch ■■■■ when driving, use my phone, or drive ■■■■■■ so why tf should I suffer, and have absolute liberties taken for the [zb] whits who do all this stuff?
Sort them, dont impose even more limitations on the likes of me.
Police the situation, eradicate the possibility at grass roots by being more selective with Class 1 candidates, adapt zero tolerance policies on first time offenders such as a life ban. :bulb:

There are a couple on here who freely admit they do/would not mind them :unamused: , well you accept them, best of luck, but don’t chuck the babies out with the bath water by imposing the [zb] things on good responsible and professional drivers.

Ffs :unamused:

I also drive safely and would hate having cameras but IF having them saved life’s then I would be prepared to tolerate them… the only realistic alternative suggestion you make to installing cameras is to increase the penalty for getting caught but I doubt whether that would be enough on it’s own.

I would like to know if the stats prove the effectiveness of having cameras installed - or not.

Unfortunately we are judged by the actions of the rogue minority and suffer the consequences as a result.

Well if you’re prepared to ‘tolerate them’, ‘suffer the consequences’, and believe they save lives, crack on mate, but I aint.

I aint going to condemn the poor guy who was killed, but I would criticise his choice of walking around his truck in a hi viz OR staying in his cab for the duration of breakdown, that ultimately cost him his life because of the prick who hit him.
So instead of adapting a knee jerk reaction of advocating camera… ing everybody up to the ■■■■■■■■ because of it, let’s keep things in perspective here and our feet on the ground eh? and go with my option instead.

Well 4 pages in and who knew indifference to a small camera could expose you as a Jew hating ■■■■? :unamused:

Juddian:
Whats next a bloody electronic chip in yer head, monitoring your movements actions thoughts? (for the prevention of religious extremist terrorism doncha know, that they invited here and excuse :unamused: ) and right handy for a delete function when you are no longer useful or start thinking independently or ask the wrong questions.
Far fetched? of course, but in practice there are people stupid enough to voluntarily have these bloody things inserted into their arms, and have already done so to please their employers, never underestimate the gullibility of people.

Stop bloody believing all the ■■■■■■■■ people who want power over you come up with, they aint spying on you 24/7 for your benefit, its never for your benefit.

^ This

Wasn’t the A34 incident recorded on a driver facing camera in which case that obviously didn’t act as any deterrent in stopping the nutter.

Bearing in mind these Stasi style control freak muppets tried to use the same excuse to film the last dying moments of air crew such as using the example of the cases of Valujet 592 and Swiss Air 111.In which it doesn’t take a zb camera or a genius to guess that they probably rightly chose to dive the thing as fast as possible into the deck/sea rather than allow themselves and their passengers to slowly choke and burn to death in an uncontrollable fire in the air. :unamused:

guardian.com/uk/2002/jun/09/transport.world1

robroy:
Well if you’re prepared to ‘tolerate them’, ‘suffer the consequences’, and believe they save lives, crack on mate, but I aint.

You have misquoted me, what I actually said was “IF having them saved lives then I would be prepared to tolerate them”, I also put the word ‘IF’ in upper case to emphasis that it was a conditional statement, I then went on to say that “I would like to know if the stats prove the effectiveness of having cameras installed - or not” At this stage I don’t know if they save lives but I am prepared to keep an open mind and would tolerate them IF there effectiveness could be proved!

robroy:
So instead of adapting a knee jerk reaction of advocating camera… ing everybody up to the ■■■■■■■■ because of it, let’s keep things in perspective here and our feet on the ground eh? and go with my option instead.

The use of mobile phones and the role they play in accidents have been under scrutiny for many a year so it would be inaccurate to classify any action taken as a ‘knee jerk reaction’.

I would welcome a viable alternative unfortunately I don’t think your ‘option’ is a viable alternative, I don’t think issuing ‘life bans’ is the answer and your other solution of “being more selective with Class 1 candidates” made me laugh, how exactly do you propose to do this? Inject them with truth serum? :laughing: :laughing: I have never met a self declared bad driver yet! And why only be selective with Class 1 drivers - don’t Class 2 drivers cause accidents? … In that’s the case problem solved ‘Ban the Bendy’s’. :laughing:
:laughing:

I agree with you “let’s keep things in perspective here and our feet on the ground”.

123smith:
You have misquoted me, what I actually said was “IF having them saved lives then I would be prepared to tolerate them”, I also put the word ‘IF’ in upper case to emphasis that it was a conditional statement, I then went on to say that “I would like to know if the stats prove the effectiveness of having cameras installed - or not” At this stage I don’t know if they save lives but I am prepared to keep an open mind and would tolerate them IF there effectiveness could be proved!

The use of mobile phones and the role they play in accidents have been under scrutiny for many a year so it would be inaccurate to classify any action taken as a ‘knee jerk reaction’.

I would welcome a viable alternative unfortunately I don’t think your ‘option’ is a viable alternative, I don’t think issuing ‘life bans’ is the answer and your other solution of “being more selective with Class 1 candidates” made me laugh, how exactly do you propose to do this? Inject them with truth serum? :laughing: :laughing: I have never met a self declared bad driver yet! And why only be selective with Class 1 drivers - don’t Class 2 drivers cause accidents? … In that’s the case problem solved ‘Ban the Bendy’s’. :laughing:
:laughing:

I agree with you “let’s keep things in perspective here and our feet on the ground”.

Stats can be adjusted, tweaked or misused to prove or disprove anything that is desired, so my opinion would not change whatever they were said to be.
The misuse of phones is a symptom of having phones fitted in the first place, so as said, some electronic gismo to stop them being used when ignition is on would do the job, we all managed quite well without them once over so what would be the problem with just following up missed calls when stopped.

I’m touched I made you laugh, but surely a qualified examiner would be capable of seperating the drivers from the dregs now that the natural selection process of actually learning a series of skills to actually drive a truck have been replaced with just learning to steer one, as it is today.

Also to refer to my other point that made you laugh :neutral_face: …If someone is stupid enough to deem watching movies etc on a phone acceptable, while in charge of 44 tonnes, why does he not deserve to be banned for life exactly?

If you consider being watched 13/15 hours a day is a …quote: ‘‘viable alternative’’ , (stats or not) to preventive measures and/or policing, we are never going to agree.

I don’t like the idea of having cameras in the cab - that is something we agree on :wink: what sways me towards being more open minded to the suggestion is the thought of my family on the roads and how I would feel if something was to happen to them which might of otherwise been prevented.

Not convinced about being able to confidently select out the idiots but I do like your idea about a electronic gizmo to prevent phone (and i would add other devices) being used when the ignition is on, I’m not sure if such a gismo exists but with today’s technology I can’t see why they couldn’t be made. I think that coupled with a breathalyzer on the ignition would help reduce accidents. There should also be lower insurance premiums for trucks which have them fitted.

I think I might start a petition :laughing:

Surely the occasional family getting wiped out is worth all that freedom of not having cameras?

The collective grief of drivers having them fitted, and making the job eternally miserable, is far heavier than that of a single mourning family, is it not?

■■■■■■■ hell

robroy:

RB84:
As Britain apparently has the most cctv camera’s in the world is it any surprise these camera’s have started becoming popular?
i understand people not wanting them but if drivers do quit because of them there’s every chance the job they change to will still have them under surveillance, perhaps doing something they don’t enjoy as much?

Like it or not the world is a different place from when a lot of people started driving so you probably just have to make the best of a bad situation nowadays?

Ah well it looks like ‘‘their’’ agenda has worked, and ‘‘they’’ have sold the idea to you mate anyway. :neutral_face:

So by your account we all just bend over cheeks apart and receive eh?
…and
;quote… ‘‘Make the best out of a bad situation’’

Well bud you could adapt that theory to any ■■■■■■■ thing that ‘‘they’’ want to impose on us, so it’s a case of ‘Resistance is futile’ eh?

I’m assuming you are relatively young and new, …well you have my sympathy if you are doing the job in the next 20 or 30 yrs if your outlook is actually typical, that’s all I can say. :unamused:
Good luck.

I guess I’m youngish, I don’t particularly like the idea of being watched all day and to be honest those watching wouldn’t like what they saw :wink: But the fact is you are now watched more than ever I think you said yourself your firm have incident camera’s?

My point is that this is happening day in day out all over, when I renewed my car insurance it asked if I had a dashcam fitted it is just the way of the world and unless you up sticks and move somewhere a bit more relaxed (see DieselDog :laughing: ) you are gonna have to suffer things you don’t like.

My glass maybe half full.

Best way to deal with them is just cover them up.
If anyone says to you “Why was your camera covered?” the response should be “How do you know it was covered? Why were you looking?” :grimacing:

RB84:
My point is that this is happening day in day out all over

The question is, why is this happening?

ezydriver:
Surely the occasional family getting wiped out is worth all that freedom of not having cameras?

The collective grief of drivers having them fitted, and making the job eternally miserable, is far heavier than that of a single mourning family, is it not?

[zb] hell

The point is that all this surveillance culture isn’t about road safety.

Meanwhile we’ve got ever more vehicles being fitted with ever increasingly complex infotainment systems which involve visual navigation and operation of numerous menus and controls.In addition to sat nav systems and ineffective deterrents like points for using mobile phones etc when mandatory dangerous driving charges and prison sentencing would have far more effect.As for tired drivers great the camera will at least show the driver falling asleep having legally had possibly 5 or 6 hours sleep between shifts just before he ploughs into stopped traffic.But it obviously won’t prevent it. :unamused: