Driver cpc - what do you want?

A couple of trucks on a ‘skid-pan’ is great idea for a fun day out and I’m quite confident I could soon organise such an event (I happen to know someone with a 1200hp Renault Racing Truck - now that’d be good) but can you imagine the cost? :open_mouth:

I’ve had drivers moan at handing over £25 for a days training - never mind a few hundred :wink:

But - would it gain DCPC approval? Does a driver really need to know how to control a HGV in such circumstances? Surely if it was driven accordingly for the conditions - it wouldn’t get into skids :unamused:

I get quite a few enquiries for in-cab training. Advanced driving, SAFED and that sort of stuff, but then when I start quoting realistic prices the line usually goes dead :open_mouth: it’d be the same for the already suggest Equine type training - the cost would be prohibitive unless it was funded. Bit like the Cycling DCPC that is being offered for almost free somewhere - it is heavily funded by a Council.

Where I live there has been ONE horse/vehicle incident in the last 5 years … not enough to get any Council to spend money on avoiding it.

Solly:
Yes the traffic office should be shaken up. Nobody would argue with that. Maybe their time is just around the corner, but as the OP ask… DRIVER CPC - WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Let these people know what you want then maybe you’ll get it and benefit from it. Worth a try at least.

This Saturday I am delivering DCPC training on site at a fairly well known hauliers (well known round 'ere anyway). There will be 8 drivers PLUS the Managing Director, Transport Manager, Senior Planner and his assistant. None of those four need the DCPC but the MD is insisting they attend the same training as the drivers. (Should be interesting :open_mouth: )

AFTER the DCPC finishes the office bods will be staying behind for a written test … :smiley: :wink: :grimacing:

I am also working with this company to develop training for their office staff along the lines of costings & route planning, employment law and a few other subjects. So some hauliers are starting to take to the idea of training being a benefit rather than a cost.

Happydaze:

Speedy Duck:
Have you thought about asking the people who came up with the idea of making it a requirement.

Yes - I asked JAUPT who said ask DSA

I asked DSA who said ask JAUPT

I rang JAUPT back and they didn’t want to chat. :frowning:

Bloody good point though and yes the questions will be asked

The two days i have done upto now were a waste of time.I never learnt anything and was the main one anwsering the very few questions he asked.We watched two videos and the little bit of discussion we had would have taken approx two hours.Not one of us wanted to be there and apart from myself there were only two other full time drivers,the rest were there because they had to be.I think that there should be a test where you pass or fail because then people have to pay attention and the know it alls will probably learn something.I dont know anyone that actually wants to do it but i understand why they decided to bring it out.If the company i work for didnt say they would pay i would have handed my license back in!Without a test as such you arent ever going to know who learnt what so thats my suggestion.I dont agree with your idea of having to do one day a year,i should be able to chose as and when i want to do it.I also think you should have to take each course and not be allowed to do the tacho rules for example each time you attend.

done my DCPC last week did all 5 days mon-fri the facilitator was a hgv/pcv/adr instructor and also approved DCPC intructor

the coarse was quite good most of it benificial to me what i found interesting was they did not have a digital tacho training vu where we could have physically been shown how to operate the VU when i asked about this i was told vosa dont allow this.

ND888 BIGJ:
when i asked about this i was told vosa dont allow this.

The word that sprang to mind was ■■■■■■■■ :smiley:

The problem is that you can’t really use a live VU in a vehicle as it will record all the data and the only way to simulate things is to drive.

You could get a VU and hook it up to a power supply and mess around but again how would you simulate actual use.

Most of the VU manufacturers sell simulator VUs in nice packages for THOUSANDS of pounds. This will be why they didn’t have one - COST

The best you can have is the FREE computer based simulator available from a few sources such as here ctolimited.com

I would have expected them to at least have the computer based simulator.

I also teach DCPC and like most trainers expect I find digi tacho and drivers hours the most fun to teach as almost without exception I have not found anyone who knows everything on these courses. I am also not so sure I like the idea of not re teaching those courses within 24 months for two reasons.

a) I have taught drives who have had that course before albeit with another trainer and failed to grasp the rules

b) Drivers hear the bits they want to know or are relevant to their job and don’t always absorb the finer points that a job change may require them to use.

The biggest struggle I feel about the CPC is making it relevant, I was taught we only have three things that motivate us, fear, greed and ■■■…. That works for drives hours but making Fuel Efficiency ■■■■ is tough.

Often the same guys who tell you at the start they have been doing this job since they did away with the guy with the red flag walking in front also insist they always take their 3x15 minutes breaks every day.
I hold a National CPC and a Cat C licence so I do know a bit about this game I hope and I work ■■■■ hard to make my courses fun and informative and am proud of the feedback I get. I think the way this will go is more and more people will provide Hiab, ADR or FLT all with CPC credits but we as trainers have a responsibility to make sure drivers leave our sessions feeling they have had a good day even on the weaker subjects.

Too often as well I am sending drivers away with more knowledge than the office people who are supervising them or contradicting what they have been told by the office so shep532 I am very impressed by company that is putting its office staff through your course, this industry needs more such enlightened employers.

I do hope this topic will generate some “I would like to know about….” ideas rather than the same old complaints about the CPC — its here to stay and so get over it!

i think the problem is the ‘being taught to ■■■■ eggs’ bit of it drivers hours etc a driver should be up to speed with and attending a days training on just this i guess would be dragging it out a bit?
loading the vehicle correctly is just a waste of time to experienced driver! and securing a load is the same!
health and safety is just getting beyond stupid and most places will only allow you in with a minimum hi viz boots etc!
fuel efficient driving this is maybe one i can see a benefit for but again sat in a classroom being told change at x revs dont overrev dont speed try not to stop fully if possible etc, cant see any point of it just being read out without some form of practical?
this is my problem with most of the modules they are great for new drivers but experienced drivers is it really necessary? unless you give something that comes across as useful such as an adr cert then its doomed to failure (i know your going to sya its law and wont change but how many thousands will bother?) if it can be made to provide useful skills then great but from what i have read it doesnt seem to.
if i am forced to and at the moment i am tempted to just quit driving my only option will be whatever looks the shortest and easiest and the adr course!

Happydaze:
I want to actually learn something I didn’t already know

I agree. I was looking to do a First Aid sort of thing, but is not available. Also, I think the courses ‘overlap’ too much.

Dave55:

Happydaze:

I agree. I was looking to do a First Aid sort of thing, but is not available. Also, I think the courses ‘overlap’ too much.

one of the modules we did was on first aid most benificial to everyone being on the road most of the time. Who hasnt been FIRST ON THE SCENE ? 80% of the guys on my coarse had never had any first aid training in the past now they might be able to save a life worth while dont you all agree?

Dave55:

Happydaze:

First Aid IS available - certainly in my establishment.

Currently I have a 3 1/2 hour Driver First on Scene module which I would combine with another 3 1/2 topic. This covers such things as what to do whenfirst on scene, your own safety, casualty safety, contacting emergency services, casualty assessment, by-stander CPR (as in Vinnie Jones type hands only), unconcious casualties, controlling bleeding, breaks and fractures and a fair bit about your own health. it’s a very popular module

I will also shortly be offering a full 7 hour Emergency First Aid at Work course which not only gives 7 hours DCPC but also a HSE recognised First Aid Certificate valid for 3 years.

Again - I’m not trying to sell you this service, just letting you know what ‘should’ be available out there.

Absolutely, but we shouldn’t have it forced upon us under threat of losing our livelihoods for not complying.

How did we manage before somebody thought of this money-making wheeze?

gazzaman58:
I also teach DCPC and like most trainers expect I find digi tacho and drivers hours the most fun to teach as almost without exception I have not found anyone who knows everything on these courses. I am also not so sure I like the idea of not re teaching those courses within 24 months for two reasons.

a) I have taught drives who have had that course before albeit with another trainer and failed to grasp the rules

b) Drivers hear the bits they want to know or are relevant to their job and don’t always absorb the finer points that a job change may require them to use.

I mentioned 24 months in my first post because I KNEW I would get some flak if I said less :wink: I honestly think it should be 12 monthly as a refresher which would then incorporate any changes/updates if there are any.

But - look at ADR. 5 years before you have to retake it … I think that is rediculous as legislation often changes.

I have come across plenty that have been on previous courses elsewhere and either haven’t understood or have been fed DCPC Trainer ■■■■■■■■ :unamused: Which annoys me to say the least. In my ‘other job’ as a Transport Consultant I was asked to discipline a driver for continuous infringements with regard to breaks from driving - and he was bad. Rather than discipline he got a 1 to 1 training session. Turns out he had been on a drivers hours DCPC course with a company I won’t name but they are in Middleton and Warrington. The course had only lasted 5 hours including 2 breaks and apparently the trainer was concerned he needed to get home early and wouldn’t accept questions and ‘flew’ through the rules - now HTF can they get away with offering ■■■■■ like that … really ■■■■■■ me off when I get ‘tarred with the same ■■■■■■ brush’ as these ■■■■■.

Because of the stupid rules that allow courses to be repeated I have had the same drivers in on the same courses. Makes my job harder - but I have found some still haven’t grasped somethings … (makes my training look ■■■■ :wink: ) but it is as you say - they listen to the bits that are relevant to what they currently do. if they always have a regular weekly rest period - they switch off when we start talking reductions, compensation and counting rests in this week and that week.

I have also had drivers come back and say what I told them last time was wrong because the Transport Manager said so … my standard reply is “What the ■■■■ does he know? I’ll give you your money back if he proves I was wrong”

gazzaman58:
Too often as well I am sending drivers away with more knowledge than the office people who are supervising them or contradicting what they have been told by the office so shep532 I am very impressed by company that is putting its office staff through your course, this industry needs more such enlightened employers.

I do hope this topic will generate some “I would like to know about….” ideas rather than the same old complaints about the CPC — its here to stay and so get over it!

Not the first company that has sent TM or planner along. I’ve had odd MDs as well. I enjoy nothing more than finding out the true extent of the TMs knowledge in front of some drivers :grimacing:

Happydaze:
Absolutely, but we shouldn’t have it forced upon us under threat of losing our livelihoods for not complying.

How did we manage before somebody thought of this money-making wheeze?

Without that sort of threat it wouldn’t happen. Nobody would comply. Some companies only bother with ruels when the thought of the penlty makes them think about it. H&S rules - hefty fines when it goes wrong.

As it is … my opinion is that if you are caught after the 2014 deadline your employer will be the one to suffer. I don’t expect drivers to be punished - just educated. the employer on the other hand … big time trouble.

Sure you can make Courses all 5 in a week.Students do it too.But,what is missing is Professionality :exclamation:
You also need to set an Answers to an Failure and not blame the Driver for everything.
Jackknife for example.
You can have many reason for it,But,now we check out the Vehicles Brake System.
1.) You have 2 kind of Break System to hold the Artic automatically straight
a.) In the gap on Brake Pedal you feel no resistance but Brakelight comes on also Trailer Brake gets lightly activated
b.) When Brake normally Trailer gets braked a Bit more then Unit to keep them straight
:arrow_right: But if you do an Emergency Brake all Brakes are fully applyed and Trailer brakes same fully as Unit.
2.) we have ABS which only works fine if Brake Pedal is fully on the Ground
:arrow_right: most big Companies have Brake Disc on unit and Brake Drums on Trailer.As Brake Disc brakes much better means that Trailer is pushing,which may result in Jackknife,especially when not enough Traction on Unit because Heavy Weight is anywhere,but not on the Fifth Wheel.
Gives me the Idea to blame the People who bring Lorries on the Road,from Manufacturer via Salesman,Un-Professional buyer up to Profit gail Investor,but not the driver,or not that much
:grimacing: Well,OK.Now understand what i mean and bring that over without getting Problems from the Haulage industry,especially if your Personal Details are not keept Anonym by administrators,Admins or whoever

Edited
You dont need to tell a Driver who works all his Life as Driver how to strap a Load.
Well,you shall.But not 7 Hour long.
What the driver needs to know is how a Trailer is build but also how Physic affects the Ride
We are in 2012 and Trailers Frame made from thinny Steel Plates cuttes in shapes and welded together to get a light strong Frame.But that Frame bends in itsself worst then a Cork Screw. Now to put a heavy Peace on a wrong Place can affect the Raid extremly negative,especially on the Rear as it works like a Whip.
Put that Heavy Peace on your 3 trailer Axles and you may have not enough Traction on the Unit which steers the Trailer.But that Peace to the Front,in Front of Kingpin and you may Roll over at next Junction or roundabout.
:arrow_right: Logically you put as much Weight as just dont overload Unit towards Kingpin,avoiding heavy on the first Meter,keep loading Heavy till Middle Axle of trailer and if you have the Joice getting Weight down towards the End and you are well.
Long Time i had Companies who know how to load and Driver have often no joice.Take it or Leave it they would say.So you need to train Warehouse Staff and dont blame the Driver if he Rolls over or Jackknifes

First of all let me say that I don’t think you can have a proper debate about the DCPC without questioning the competence of some instructors and the way they’ve been allowed to get away with what they’re doing by JAUPT.

The EU directive that required member states of the EU to initiate DCPC training only requires 35 hours training every five years but you want to make the requirement stricter by requiring 7 hours per year, what happens if a driver misses a year does he have to stop driving commercially :open_mouth:

You want to talk to the powers that be about the Driver CPC and how it should be changed, fair play to you for that, at least one trainer is admitting that it does need changing :smiley:

Here’s an idea to throw into the pot, rather than the mishmash we currently have perhaps the whole DCPC periodic training needs reviewing, perhaps it would be better for the periodic training to be done in government centres such as driver test centres or other predefined places stipulated by the powers that be such as local community centres, that way the centres could provide training on particular subjects reasonably locally for most if not all drivers.

Whilst the course dates/times and course subject matter could be stipulated by JUAPT the actual instruction could be farmed out to training companies, thereby providing real value for money because the training companies would have to negotiate (compete) for the contract to provide the instruction on individual courses.

As things are now the only way for drivers to get different courses is either if they’re lucky enough to live in an area where there is good diversity of courses at reasonable cost or if they’re prepared to travel to get the training on different subjects.

Having the whole thing directly under the control of JAUPT in government/Council run local centres would mean the there would always be a good selection of course subject in each training establishment.

Basically what I’m suggesting is that perhaps it would be better if JAUPT together with members of the road transport industry decided on the course content, the place where all the local courses would be held and then allowed training companies to bid for the contract of running the individual courses, the training companies would also have to justify the cost of the courses or lose the contract when it was due for renewal.

A system like this would make the DCPC look less like it was instigated purely to make money and should make it easier for JAUPT to oversee the courses to ensure that the instructors are actually teaching well.

@Shep532

Reading DIRECTIVE 2003/59/EC can you confirm that Annex I of that directive contains all the modules “Minimum Qualification and Training Requirements” that can be taken to qualify for the DCPC?
If so… I think you would agree… the content of some of the modules haven’t been made apparent to some drivers.

Solly:
@Shep532

Reading DIRECTIVE 2003/59/EC can you confirm that Annex I of that directive contains all the modules “Minimum Qualification and Training Requirements” that can be taken to qualify for the DCPC?
If so… I think you would agree… the content of some of the modules haven’t been made apparent to some drivers.

Sorry - you’ve lost me with this one?

There are three broad topics for the actual courses. (There aren’t any ‘fixed’ modules by the way - but you can get a modular course)

1. Advanced training in rational driving based on safety regulations
  2. Application of regulations
  3. Health, road and environmental safety, service, logistics

Each course must fit into one of those headings. As an example Drivers Hours Rules comes under Application of regulations

A course will not be approved unless on the course application forms the applicant can demonstrate which section and sub-section the content applies to. The applicant has to break down the course content and give timings, training methods etc.

therefore no approved course will exist unless this has been done. So if the course passes the approval - it must cover the appropriate subjects

The point is that there aren’t any fixed modules. I can write a course that covers:
30 minutes how to fill in an analogue chart
30 minutes how to check tyres
30 minutes how to eat healthily
30 minutes hoe to be polite to customers
30 minutes about OCRS
30 minutes about speed limits
30 minutes about fuel efficient driving
30 minutes about alcohol in the work place
30 minutes about fire extinguishers
30 minutes about security of the load (from thieves I mean)
30 minutes about straps and chains
30 minutes about not smoking in cabs
30 minutes about documentation
30 minutes about stopping bleeding

That’s 7 hours of training. I’ll call it DRIVER ESSENTIAL SKILLS 1. i’ve covered lots of the sections in the list of what is allowed and I pretty much guarantee this course won’t be found elsewhere :open_mouth:

When I advertise that course on my website I’d put the title then a list of subjects. Driver can ring and ASK what’s in the course if he wants.

It is very common to get a call saying “I’ve done my module 1 and 2 at so and so training company. Can I book my module 3 please?” problem with this is that there aren’t any modules … so clearly this hasn’t been explained to the driver on the previous courses.

I’m still confused by your point - sorry. :unamused:

shep532:
But - look at ADR. 5 years before you have to retake it … I think that is rediculous as legislation often changes.

Yep, that’s right… ADR is completely binned and re-published every two years, and it’s as regular as clockwork.

tachograph:
First of all let me say that I don’t think you can have a proper debate about the DCPC without questioning the competence of some instructors and the way they’ve been allowed to get away with what they’re doing by JAUPT.

Agree 100% but I do think this is happening it’s just slow going because it has to wait for an audit to take place. Problem is that a training centre can substitute a trainer. They have to keep records of this and proof of the trainers knowledge and qualifications or experience.
Example - I don’t train first aid - I use a specilist first aid training company. A while back they got a new trainer. I reviewed his qualifications, CV etc and agreed he could deliver my DCPC course. I sat in on his first session to assess him (as per my quality assurance policy) and his was ■■■■■■ i was now stuck part way through a course, no other trainer and this one was ■■■■■■ I stopped the course and sent him home. i offered the candidates a refund or we change topics for the afternoon - which we did and I took them through another subject. That trainer will never deliver training for me again - but unfortunately will go somewhere else.
All of this was documented should JAUPT check during an audit.

tachograph:
The EU directive that required member states of the EU to initiate DCPC training only requires 35 hours training every five years but you want to make the requirement stricter by requiring 7 hours per year, what happens if a driver misses a year does he have to stop driving commercially :open_mouth:

I haven’t exactly planned the new rules - I was just saying what I thought. Don’t pick on me :cry:
Obviously someone far more intelligent than me would have to work out the finer details and criteria but I do think the current 35 hours anytime in a 5 year period is stupid
EXAMPLE. Driver does 35 hours training week beginning 14th September 2009.
He gets his DQC valid until 09th September 2019
He next does 35 hours of training starting 2nd September 2019
He went almost 10 years without attending any training -now that is silly.

tachograph:
You want to talk to the powers that be about the Driver CPC and how it should be changed, fair play to you for that, at least one trainer is admitting that it does need changing :smiley:

I’m good like that :wink:

tachograph:
Here’s an idea to throw into the pot, rather than the mishmash we currently have perhaps the whole DCPC periodic training needs reviewing, perhaps it would be better for the periodic training to be done in government centres such as driver test centres or other predefined places stipulated by the powers that be such as local community centres, that way the centres could provide training on particular subjects reasonably locally for most if not all drivers.

Whilst the course dates/times and course subject matter could be stipulated by JUAPT the actual instruction could be farmed out to training companies, thereby providing real value for money because the training companies would have to negotiate (compete) for the contract to provide the instruction on individual courses.

And those self same training companies send their ■■■■ trainers along just as they do now.
The Government couldn’t afford it. There are approximately 750,000 drivers (not including PSV). Logistically I don’t think it could be done. But there again - I dunno. Might be a good idea

tachograph:
As things are now the only way for drivers to get different courses is either if they’re lucky enough to live in an area where there is good diversity of courses at reasonable cost or if they’re prepared to travel to get the training on different subjects.

Having the whole thing directly under the control of JAUPT in government/Council run local centres would mean the there would always be a good selection of course subject in each training establishment.

I agree about the different courses - but if drivers were following along sensibly doing 1 course a year it would be far easier to achieve diversity (not the dance troupe) than trying to do a course every week.
I don’t think it would be the end of the world if a driver did the same 7 hours course once every year - as a refresher kind of thing.

I think what the authorities introduced was actually designed to give a far greater choice to the driver.

tachograph:
Basically what I’m suggesting is that perhaps it would be better if JAUPT together with members of the road transport industry decided on the course content, the place where all the local courses would be held and then allowed training companies to bid for the contract of running the individual courses, the training companies would also have to justify the cost of the courses or lose the contract when it was due for renewal.

great idea. Might make it a lot more expensive though

tachograph:
A system like this would make the DCPC look less like it was instigated purely to make money and should make it easier for JAUPT to oversee the courses to ensure that the instructors are actually teaching well.

I can’t see how anyone can think the DCPC was instigated to make money. I could not survive as a business on DCPC alone - not a chance. I know JAUPT is losing money and the DSA? Probably losing money as well.

Geez that lot took some typing :smiley: